cheezepowder

"Top Chef" (2006-) Reality Chef-Competition Series on Bravo - Now in Season 16

Watched the episode last night.

Quickfire:

I'm still amazed, in a good way, by what Hung did to those chickens and, in a bad way, what Casey didn't do to those onions (not having a sharp knife is her own fault).

Elimination:

Disappointed to see Tre go. Not only did I like him, but I think this season just got much more boring. Who among those left can cook with Hung? Casey, CJ, Brian, Dale, Sara, Howie? None of them as far as I can see. I think everybody, contestants included, expected the finale to be Hung and Tre. As long as Hung doesn't self-destruct (and, as Bourdain points out on his blog, Hung seems to have come to his senses in the last few episodes), I can't see anybody beating him.

Every season, either on this reality show or another competition reality show (i.e. Project Runway), a good contestant gets the boot about halfway through and one, or more, shockingly sticks around. Basically, you just can't suck on any given week, you don't have to win all of the time or be in the top, but if you blow it one week, you are toast.

It seemed like Tre was good, but who really knows with all of the editing that they do. He did, however, win three elimination challenges, the most on the show. Hung seems like the best one left, but who knows, he has only won one quickfire challenge. Howie actually is second with two elimination challenge wins, and several high finishes, but he also finishes in the bottom group a lot as well, it is hit or miss with him.

My guess is that Casey is better than she appears on the show. Granted, she is damn good looking, but I think that she is a better cook than they show her to be, same with Dale. Along with Hung, I see those three at the end.

Elimination:

Disappointed to see Tre go. Not only did I like him, but I think this season just got much more boring. Who among those left can cook with Hung? Casey, CJ, Brian, Dale, Sara, Howie? None of them as far as I can see. I think everybody, contestants included, expected the finale to be Hung and Tre. As long as Hung doesn't self-destruct (and, as Bourdain points out on his blog, Hung seems to have come to his senses in the last few episodes), I can't see anybody beating him.

I see the final 4 (remember last season it was 4, not 3) are likely to be Hung, Howie (yes Howie, he's got talent, and entertainment value), and then two of either Dale, CJ or Brian (in that order most likely). I think Sara and Casey will be out in short order.

Overall I agree that it'll likely be Hung since I think he's clearly the most talented. But then again, I don't think the most talented contestant won last year.... :angry:

I see the final 4 (remember last season it was 4, not 3) are likely to be Hung, Howie (yes Howie, he's got talent, and entertainment value), and then two of either Dale, CJ or Brian (in that order most likely). I think Sara and Casey will be out in short order.

Overall I agree that it'll likely be Hung since I think he's clearly the most talented. But then again, I don't think the most talented contestant won last year.... :angry:

It's Hung's to lose.

I'll take the field against Hung for anyone who wants to bet even up....

It's Hung's to lose.

Goodbye Howie :angry: - he was fun to watch, even if he was annoying at times. If his fate wasn't sealed when he didn't present anything in the quickfire, it was a done deal when he offered himself up during the judges' panel! The text on the DirecTV guide (which was clearly not for last night's episode) made it look like they might be going on a cruise...at least in a few episodes - it referenced an episode called "Chef Overboard", talked about the remaining 3 contestants and a buffet challenge!?

Goodbye Howie :angry: - he was fun to watch, even if he was annoying at times. If his fate wasn't sealed when he didn't present anything in the quickfire, it was a done deal when he offered himself up during the judges' panel! The text on the DirecTV guide (which was clearly not for last night's episode) made it look like they might be going on a cruise...at least in a few episodes - it referenced an episode called "Chef Overboard", talked about the remaining 3 contestants and a buffet challenge!?

The description was wrong on Verizon FiosTV, too.

Sorry to see Howie go, but he's been overdue. I did think they would keep him until the Final Four, though, as he provided a rabble rouser type that most of these shows seem to need to be 'interesting' (whatever that means). I was surprised how generally pedestrian some of the canapes were considering the skill set of some of these folks. Sheesh.

I am personally glad to see Howie go. In a total wuss move, he decides to "excuse" himself from the competition rather than face the fact that they were going to kick him off anyway. His canapes looked horrible. WTF was that mushroom thing, I expected much better from all of the contestants on that challenge. Salmon mousse on a cucumber slice? I loved how Cohliccio (sp?) called him out on that one. Still my favorite show on TV, by far.

Howie needed a fork stuck in him, he was done. I think this show is just plain wearing even those with a strong constitution. Being isolated and worked at all hours has to take it's toll. We saw the same thing with Mia last season. She came to the end of her rope and had nothing left to offer. It's a marathon, for sure. And...go girls! :angry:

...Salmon mousse on a cucumber slice? I loved how Cohliccio (sp?) called him out on that one. Still my favorite show on TV, by far.

I think a very serious argument can be made that Hung's empty-shirted effort should have gotten him the boot. Sure Howie's dishes were hideous, but the lack of respect that Hung showed to the food and his guests was equally bad in my book.

My prediction for the sub-title of one of the next three episodes

"Hung's Hubris Heads Home to Roost"

I think the Chef Overboard was this week's episode. It was set on a yatch.....Howie threw himself overboard when he said he'd step down.

I think a very serious argument can be made that Hung's empty-shirted effort should have gotten him the boot. Sure Howie's dishes were hideous, but the lack of respect that Hung showed to the food and his guests was equally bad in my book.

My prediction for the sub-title of one of the next three episodes

"Hung's Hubris Heads Home to Roost"

I agree that Hung's effort was lacking and he was obviously playing it safe. However, I think Hung has much better potential as a "Top Chef" than Howie. That being said, I think Hung started off the series quite strong, but he seems to have been beat down a bit by his peers and is not producing the same caliber food that he was at the beginning of the show. I hope he can turn it around, even though he seems a bit cocky. Did you see him break down those f--king chickens last episode......

Did you see him break down those f--king chickens last episode......
He left the f--king oysters attached to the chicken carcasses. Anyone who so arrogantly professes earth-quivering culinary passion and holds the corporate rank of Executive sous-chef at Guy Savoy would know to keep the oysters intact to the thigh or removed from the carcass and saved for royalty since the French equivalent of "poultry oyster" le sot l'y laisse is "the fool disregards it"...unless the executive title prefix specifies elite bathroom and parking privileges.

He left the f--king oysters attached to the chicken carcasses. Anyone who so arrogantly professes earth-quivering culinary passion and holds the corporate rank of Executive sous-chef at Guy Savoy would know to keep the oysters intact to the thigh or removed from the carcass and saved for royalty since the French equivalent of "poultry oyster" le sot l'y laisse is "the fool disregards it"...unless the executive title prefix specifies elite bathroom and parking privileges.

Sooooooooo, in a timed race challenge where he isn't asked to remove the oysters and nobody's going to be eating the product, the truly passionate chef is supposed to handicap his team just so he can assert his chefly pride by performing an additional task that is completely meaningless within the context of the situation?

Or am I not understanding the criticism?

I thought the episode was pretty entertaining. Bourdain was pretty rough at the judges table when he told CJ that his broccolini wasn't fit to serve in prison and that Brian's lobster was so over cooked, it had the texture of a doll head.

I was hoping it would be Sara, but I knew it was going to be CJ with editorial foreshadowing in the early part of the show. When he said how excited he was about going to New York I knew the gig was up for him :angry: . So much for my visions of a CJ vs Tre final. Now I'm thinking Hung vs Casey...

If only he'd pulled that nasty-looking broccolini! So, Brian or Sara next week... I mean really, how many more weeks can Brian skate by!?

I was hoping it would be Sara, but I knew it was going to be CJ with editorial foreshadowing in the early part of the show. When he said how excited he was about going to New York I knew the gig was up for him :angry: . So much for my visions of a CJ vs Tre final. Now I'm thinking Hung vs Casey...

If only he'd pulled that nasty-looking broccolini! So, Brian or Sara next week... I mean really, how many more weeks can Brian skate by!?

It could also be Hung vs. Dale

Do you guys think these challenges are as tough as they seem? I know they must edit things out, but are you telling me that they really just throw guys into an airplane and tell them that they have ten minutes to cook food in some bastardized oven that they have never laid eyes on!?

If so, these are tough challenges, I am surprised that any of the food turns out well.

I was hoping it would be Sara, but I knew it was going to be CJ with editorial foreshadowing in the early part of the show.

A parody showing (among other things) the usual Top Chef foreshadowing. :angry:

I don't know if I was imagining it, but I thought Hung picked shrimp along with his chilean sea bass so no one else could use those proteins. But later, there was no mention of shrimp in Hung's dish, and Dale had shrimp in his dish.