"Top Chef" (2006-) Reality Chef-Competition Series on Bravo - Now in Season 16

cheezepowder

Seriously - Bourdain was FAR more entertaining in that role than Colicchio ever was. Anytime, TC tries to say something snarky, it just sounds canned.

Yeah, he is more entertaining. However, I think Colicchio is the far better chef.

I had a friend from culinary school that worked at Gramercy Tavern (back in like 1999). This was before Colicchio had really become the "celebrity" chef (I hate using that word) he is today. I think he held a lot of respect amongst his peers and co-workers.

I agree though, for pure entertainment, you can't beat Bourdain. Some of the stuff spewed from that guys mouth is hilarious.

Yeah, he is more entertaining. However, I think Colicchio is the far better chef.

I had a friend from culinary school that worked at Gramercy Tavern (back in like 1999). This was before Colicchio had really become the "celebrity" chef (I hate using that word) he is today. I think he held a lot of respect amongst his peers and co-workers.

I agree though, for pure entertainment, you can't beat Bourdain. Some of the stuff spewed from that guys mouth is hilarious.

I agree that Bourdain is more entertaining, but he's got so much other stuff going on on his own, that taking over the gig at Top Chef isn't even on his radar. Colicchio's Grammercy Tavern was quite the place when my wife and I dined there back in 2003 or 2004 (I forget which). I am not even sure if he was even involved with the place anymore, but the base of talent at the place was clearly there even after he left day to day or even every now and again involvement, IMO.

I was sorry to see Dale go, though it was the right call, as he was "executive chef" (hey, if Tre gets the boot for that, so does Dale). I think he's been getting a craptastic editing job, just like Hung did last year--honestly, if the producers spent as much time worrying about creating INTERESTING challenges as they do creating villains, "Top Chef" would be a much better show. Then again, even in Bravo-land, realty TV is reality TV, and there have to be good guys and bad guys.

Hell, just make Bourdain the head judge and it will be a much better show. He was awesome! Honest, funny, and HAWT. :lol:

Seriously - Bourdain was FAR more entertaining in that role than Colicchio ever was. Anytime, TC tries to say something snarky, it just sounds canned.
I really like Colicchio but I am convinced they record some of his comebacks at the table after the fact and stick them in later. I think they should copy Project Runway (um, my girlfriend watches it...) and have a permanent non-judge "helper" like Tim Gunn. Colicchio has almost done exactly this a few times and I have always liked it. Just stroll around the kitchen a few times and offer up advice without participating in the judging. I think it would also be cool to just have him as a back judge (even though this would take a lot more of his time). I think one of the big challnges last year he stayed in the kitchen the whole time even through service and just tasted the dishes before they went out. I think this would be a good idea and would undercut some of the annoying finger pointing. I think people would be less likely to bitch about who was responsible for what if they knew one of the judges had been back there the whole time and might call them out for unjustified bitching.

I think he's been getting a craptastic editing job, just like Hung did last year--honestly, if the producers spent as much time worrying about creating INTERESTING challenges as they do creating villains, "Top Chef" would be a much better show.

I was commenting on this to a friend a few weeks back as well. Ever since Dale's crotch-grab outburst at Lisa when Zoi went home, they started giving him the "Hung-edits", or so I call them, and it intensified after Jenn's departure. They rarely show him hugging or smiling or doing anything other than curse. You'd think Dale cursed with every other sentence.

I remember the start of Aspen week last year, when all the chefs got off the plane and were meeting each other in front of their pickup ride. Dale hugs Casey, Casey hugs Brian, etc. Except Hung hugs no one. My friend watching with me asked "Didn't Hung hug anyone?" I said, "NO, because Hung is EEEEVIL." I may have also added "dun dun DUN!" afterwards.

As an aside to this year's competition, I was asked by a partner of mine to make a wine recommendation at Solo - the new "it" kosher restaurant in NYC. Upon perusing the website I was shocked to see that the chef there is the beloved/despised Hung - winner of last year's competition.

Hey, I picked Hung for the winner last year at the first episode. This year, I'm thinking it will be Richard. Unless the Bravo guys absolutely want to have a woman, in which case, it will be Stephanie (I think she's a great choice, also).

I really liked Dale (as a cook), thought his dishes looked great, & can't believe he was eliminated before Lisa or Spike. But then, I was also upset that Jen got bumped before Nikki....It's very subjective. I think the ultimate showdown will be between Richard & Stephanie, & I'm fine w/ that-I think they're both quite skilled & thoughtful...

I am actually surprised that most of these guys do not have a larger arsenal of dessert choices. I mean, they know they are going to have to do pastry at some point, why not just try out a few recipes beforehand and write them down. I know it is not "Top Pastry Chef" (now that would be a show I would watch religiously), but I think repeating the same dessert is kind of weak. It seems like Stephanie is the only one that has grasp on the pastry. I honestly would expect more out of Richard in that regard.

Exactly! I can think of lots of basic things a decent chef could whip together without using too much of their allotted time - variations on simple shortcakes, mousses, etc. Just to have a little something sweet at the end. I thought there were some restaurant wars episodes from past seasons where some teams would prepare a multicourse meal and not include a dessert course. Not a restaurant I would want to eat at.

The judges encourage this dessert ambivalence by not dinging the chefs for stuff like no dessert course, or repeating desserts. And when they do make a dessert, they risk being told it's not good enough. Hung got criticized at the final for making a perfectly decent chocolate cake. At altitude no less. (Although he did win, it seemed like he could have won without that.) So I can see why the chefs don't bother.

Is it me, or have there been fewer individual challenges this year? It seems like almost everything is a team challenge.

I was TIRED on Wednesday night, passed out at about 9:30 to be awoken from a phone call from my sister. My sister is pretty much the nicest person you would ever meet, the opposite of her older brother, she likes everyone and everyone likes her.

"I can't believe that fucking bitch didn't get kicked off tonight!"

For a second, I was confused, I had no clue what she was talking about, but the minute she mentioned Top Chef, I knew that she was talking about Lisa. And, to be honest, although it was surprising to hear my sister say that, I think that is the perfect description of her.

Listen, it is reality TV, they can edit it however they damn please, but I'm not quite sure how a chef that never makes good food and is always upset about something ("Damn, it's just too sunny outside today! Those birds are chirping too loud!) could still be on this show.

The top three chefs have been obvious for quite some time, let's just get to it.

I'm often bewildered by the judging of some episodes. Honestly, in my opinion, if the judges are going to give a free pass to the chefs that make dessert courses or act as the front-of-house liaison because those are not "part of their skill set", they should just eliminate those contests...or make it perfectly clear to the contestants that pastry skills and dining room management are expected to be part of their arsenals and they can and will be voted off if they are found to be deficient in those areas.

Honestly, Andelman, I think a pastry chef edition of Top Chef would be fun to watch and I would hope that you would pony up and kick ass!

Honestly, Andelman, I think a pastry chef edition of Top Chef would be fun to watch and I would hope that you would pony up and kick ass!

I don't think I would have a chance. I am often impressed at how quickly these chefs can come up with ideas on the fly. Also, my disposition is much too boring and mundane for reality TV.

I have to say, I was just a tad surprised that Spike got the boot last night -- I thought for sure that Lisa was going to get the axe. But I suppose using the frozen scallops was his undoing. I certainly won't miss him, but I found him more interesting (for his entertainment value) than Lisa.

I think it'll probably ultimately come down to Stephanie or Richard, but Antonia certainly has a shot. I think Lisa, at this point, is just along for the ride.

I have to say, I was just a tad surprised that Spike got the boot last night -- I thought for sure that Lisa was going to get the axe. But I suppose using the frozen scallops was his undoing. I certainly won't miss him, but I found him more interesting (for his entertainment value) than Lisa.

I think it'll probably ultimately come down to Stephanie or Richard, but Antonia certainly has a shot. I think Lisa, at this point, is just along for the ride.

I wondered if the frozen scallops were put there intentionally just to see who would be foolish enough to use them. I guess Spike took the bait and when he got snarky with the guest judge, I knew he was out. You don't piss off the guy who can kick you out.

I am still not believing that he and Lisa made it that far. There was far more talent that left before them.

I wondered if the frozen scallops were put there intentionally just to see who would be foolish enough to use them. I guess Spike took the bait and when he got snarky with the guest judge, I knew he was out. You don't piss off the guy who can kick you out.

I am still not believing that he and Lisa made it that far. There was far more talent that left before them.

The same was true in the second season, when the finals came down to Ilan vs. Marcel, neither of whom was the most talented chef who started the contest. I think in this case, Stephanie and Richard were obvious finalists from the first moments, Antonia made her abilities known very soon afterward, and that Lisa, Dale and Spike were edited to emphasize their obnoxiousness from the beginning, to enhance the dramatic interest of the show--as were Stephen and Tiffani in the first season, and Marcel in the second. The producers tried to make Hung the bad guy last year, but unfortunately for them, he also turned out to be the best chef in actuality and really rather endearing. The show would have been in deep doo-doo if all four of the finalists were nice people and outstandingly talented chefs:then where's the controversy? The suspense?

Aside from the obvious fact that one person does not belong in the final four, I was really surprised by how ungracious a judge Ilan was. Harold and Hung tried to avoid being completely negative, but Ilan just seemed ready to shoot everything down as much as possible. It was also sorta strange how there seemed to be a little dissonance between what Tramanto thought compared to the other judges in some cases.

It was also sorta strange how there seemed to be a little dissonance between what Tramanto thought compared to the other judges in some cases.

He really liked the peanut butter mashed potatoes, for example. Also, nobody seemed to like Antonia's appetizer, but that didn't get mentioned during the judging. Granted, they do edit out much of what is actually filmed.

I was a little surprised when Padma said something about how Lisa has always shown an excellent palate. :lol: ??!! The times she was in the bottom group (5 times! according to Judge Tom), the judges criticized her specifically for poorly seasoning her food and generally creating bad-tasting dishes. Padma is not very impressive at all. Maybe they should just formally make her eye candy and demote her from judge status.

Aside from the obvious fact that one person does not belong in the final four, I was really surprised by how ungracious a judge Ilan was.
Really? I sort of expected that from Ilan. He's easily the least talented Top Chef winner thus far, and was mercilessly criticized from almost the minute his season aired (with good reason). I'm sure he wanted to give the cheftestants a little of what he has gotten in terms of negativity...

I really liked Dale (as a cook), thought his dishes looked great, & can't believe he was eliminated before Lisa or Spike.
I still can't believe Dale's gone -- I agree with what you said thistle -- he's a much better cook. Dale reminds me more of Tre from last season, than of Hung. Tre was a great cook, but Restaurant Wars just did him in....
The same was true in the second season, when the finals came down to Ilan vs. Marcel, neither of whom was the most talented chef who started the contest. I think in this case, Stephanie and Richard were obvious finalists from the first moments, Antonia made her abilities known very soon afterward, and that Lisa, Dale and Spike were edited to emphasize their obnoxiousness from the beginning, to enhance the dramatic interest of the show--as were Stephen and Tiffani in the first season, and Marcel in the second.
She reminds me a lot of Tiffani in Season One. I think Lee Anne's blog on Bravo mentioned such too.

I wish Lisa would learn from her past mistakes. I simply cannot believe the number of times I've said to the TV, "I can't believe she's doing that [insert ingredient] again -- didn't she learn last time that she's going to botch it up!!!" She's never been able to make proper rice (e.g. Mango Sticky Rice and the "sabotaged rice") and she's never been that good with shrimp (i.e. Police Academy raw shrimp ordeal). Grrrr. She, in my book, definitely doesn't belong in the finals.

Aside from the obvious fact that one person does not belong in the final four, I was really surprised by how ungracious a judge Ilan was.
Should you be? I recall him being this obnoxious on his own season. I think I was taken aback by some of his retorts to judges' criticisms at the Judge's Table, and I wanted to bop him on the head a few times for that. He just came across ungracious throughout the entire season then, and it shows even last night.

I'm surprised Lisa has lasted until the final 4-but Spike had to go. What a fall from grace! First, he trims up and cooks steaks like nobody's business, then lets his pride get in the way with the scallops. He did everything but give those puppies CPR to retrieve them from the Red Lobster plate they should have been put on. But, alas, the scallops won battle frozen crappy seafood. Scallops=1, Spike=0.

It was so good of Ilan to to dress up for the occasion. If I were to meet a revered chef in HIS OWN restaurant, I'd show some respect and dress up a bit. How ironic it was to see all 3 TC winners side by side, and Ilan, with the least apparent talent, criticizes the most. IIRC, Ilan got along by making dishes from the restaurant he worked at. What impressed me this week was that it seemed all of the cheftestants made dishes that they never made before. Very impressive and bold.

I"m really looking forward to see who wins. My money is on either Richard or Stephanie, with Antonia close behind. Lisa? Who knows. If she for once, just once, listens to all of the constructive criticism she has received, she may keep up with the rest of the pack.

I pretty much pretend that Season 2 of this show never happened, kind of like Godfather 3.

If Lisa is not the next one booted off, I may have to throw my TV out of the window. Why can't the judges make the decision to just kick more than one person off every once in a while? I have seen it on other shows before and it really is a farce that Lisa is in the finals with those other three chefs, she isn't even in the same stratosphere.

I was a little surprised when Padma said something about how Lisa has always shown an excellent palate. :lol: ??!! The times she was in the bottom group (5 times! according to Judge Tom), the judges criticized her specifically for poorly seasoning her food and generally creating bad-tasting dishes. Padma is not very impressive at all. Maybe they should just formally make her eye candy and demote her from judge status.

I don't know how writing a cookbook or two makes her qualified to be a judge or even host this show, but as soon as she changes into one of those "form-fitting" dresses, I seem to allow myself to stop wondering these things and just sit back and enjoy the show. :lol:

Amazing episode. Stephanie showed so much maturity and class when dealing with Dale's major fuckup--forgetting to put the porkbelly in the refrigerator overnight. It probably would have been fine with all of that salt on it--refrigeration is a fairly recent development in human history, after all. But she just said, I can't take the chance, let's do something else. I can just imagine the theatrics, if someone had done that to Dale or Lisa, the human black cloud. I don't recall Lisa ever winning anything, and so frequently she has ended up being on the bottom, but somehow spared on the chopping block. And now she is in the final three. Well, the contest was always going to be between Stephanie and Richard at the end. It doesn't really matter who else is cooking in the finals--any one of the others besides Lisa would have been in the same boat-- not at the same level of skill and creativity as Stephanie and Richard are. And 91% of the viewer call-in survey participants wanted Lisa to be sent home. It was pathetic when Stephanie and Richard were sitting there with Lisa, and they were obviously shocked and sad that Antonia had been sent home. Oozing hostility, she berated them for not congratulating her for surviving the elimination. I wonder how she is dealing with all of the hatred being expressed toward her on the Top Chef blogs and chats. Perhaps as a consolation prize, they ought to pay for her to have psychotherapy for a year or two. Although we've been shown enough of her behavior and interactions to suggest that she is what is referred to in the mental health biz as an "Axis 2," which is a DSM (the bible of psychiatric diagnosis) category of personality disorders that aren't particularly amenable to psychotherapy.

Unbelievable.

That said, the judges had to pick who made the biggest mistake or the most mistakes. At this point one could call it splitting hairs, but hey. I think Antonia would have a small chance of winning if Stephanie was way off in the finale AND Richard tried some of his usual experiments and it bombed AND Antonia was at the top of her game. But I still think it is between Richard and Stephanie. I think that Stephanie has got the slightest of edges, and, unless Richard pulls off something really amazing, Stephanie will probably take it.

Lisa....I don't think she has ever won anything. No elimination, no quickfire, nothing. And she was on the bottom rung chopping block more times (I think) than any other contestant. Sure she can probably cook, but she's just not in the same league as Richard and Stephanie. Not even close. And that attitude is, um, quite, er...NEGATIVE!

BAH!

Lisa....I don't think she has ever won anything. No elimination, no quickfire, nothing.

The benefit elimination, miso bacon, episode five.

(This does not in any way diminish your points even the slightest bit :-)

Shocking, but based on just that performance, I think Antonia was the right one to go. I still think Dale should have been there, but at least this means Stephanie only has one serious competitor in Richard. Not that Lisa doesn't have skills, but as Zora said she doesn't seem to have the creativity (or calm) to execute on a winning level. Stephanie showed her grace under pressure once again by creating a replacement dish on the fly that really impressed the judges. What a class act - you could see she was frustrated and upset with the pork belly situation, but dealt with it, came up with a new plan, and (successfully) moved on.

I really want to see a woman win this season, but in my book, no matter what happens next week, only one of the two would be worthy of being Top Chef. Go Stephanie Go!

And Richard can't complain too much if he doesn't win - he just won a NEW CAR! (BTW, where were his pink Crocs?! He looked naked without them :lol: )

The fact that Lisa demanded congratulations for surviving elimination just shows how foul a human being she is and how insecure she really is in herself. Richard was spot on in saying that you don't really congratulate a bronze medalist.

Feh.

That congratulations tirade was just mind boggling. Lisa lecturing people on polite behavior and or social graces? Are you serious? I mean just wow wow wow. That isn't even the pot calling the kettle black that is the prostitute calling the nun slutty. I did like the way they handled it, instead of apologizing or admitting wrong doing they both just gave an insincere, patronizing congratulations and moved on.

Amazing episode. Stephanie showed so much maturity and class when dealing with Dale's major fuckup--forgetting to put the porkbelly in the refrigerator overnight.
To his credit he did come up with the salad, which the judges mentioned as their favorite of her dishes. That same thing happened in the Season II finals when one of the ousted favorites (Sam) as sous chef came up with one of the favorite dishes (the heart of palm dish) on the fly. I think getting the right sous chef is a huge advantage.

"Each film is only as good as its villain. Since the heroes and the gimmicks tend to repeat from film to film, only a great villain can transform a good try into a triumph.” Roger Ebert

Top Chef’s classical spectrum of dramatic character representation ranges from protagonists to antagonists including imbeciles, shoemakers, and trolls as seen in historical Jewish/Greek tragedies (e.g., Lisa, Ilan, the Iliad and Spike). While neither a lesb....thespian nor well versed in the Hegelian dialectics of such household literary theorists as György Lukács or Longinus, I posit that deontological ethics can be used to justify guest judging and classification of being a good cook vs cooking good food with respect to critical doctrines of obligation and good will: The class of actions in accordance with duty must be distinguished from the class of actions performed for the sake of duty, or so Kantian ethos goes....

The antagonist are not inherently evil or dangerous. They are secondary villains, generally incompetent loony tunes chosen to play lackey comic relief roles, most notably those in Dick Dastardly’s school of secondary villainy (Left to Right -Dastardly, Andrew, Howie, Lisa).

Lisa is not malicious and does not pose a threat to the remaining protagonist as Darth Vader or Sauron would. Her miserable hostility may come from competitive pursuit of Richard and Stephanie rather than contentrated evil, perhaps not unlike Les Miserable’s Javert who opposes the heroes but whose intentions are genuine. She represents an essential(ly frumpy) cog in the mechanism of a popularly digestible and commercially successful Sweet vs Sour storyline, often made better by exaggeration and dramatic editing. Competition is the cornerstone of human existence, perseverance and entertainment, from natural selection, to capitalism and televised games. The show is just as “real” as The Truman Show, but provides more astonished watercooler gossip and ratings.

"Each film is only as good as its villain. Since the heroes and the gimmicks tend to repeat from film to film, only a great villain can transform a good try into a triumph.” Roger Ebert

Top Chef’s classical spectrum of dramatic character representation ranges from protagonists to antagonists including imbeciles, shoemakers, and trolls as seen in historical Jewish/Greek tragedies (e.g., Lisa, Ilan, the Iliad and Spike). While neither a lesb....thespian nor well versed in the Hegelian dialectics of such household literary theorists as György Lukács or Longinus, I posit that deontological ethics can be used to justify guest judging and classification of being a good cook vs cooking good food with respect to critical doctrines of obligation and good will: The class of actions in accordance with duty must be distinguished from the class of actions performed for the sake of duty, or so Kantian ethos goes....

The antagonist are not inherently evil or dangerous. They are secondary villains, generally incompetent loony tunes chosen to play lackey comic relief roles, most notably those in Dick Dastardly’s school of secondary villainy (Left to Right -Dastardly, Andrew, Howie, Lisa).

Lisa is not malicious and does not pose a threat to the remaining protagonist as Darth Vader or Sauron would. Her miserable hostility may come from competitive pursuit of Richard and Stephanie rather than contentrated evil, perhaps not unlike Les Miserable’s Javert who opposes the heroes but whose intentions are genuine. She represents an essential(ly frumpy) cog in the mechanism of a popularly digestible and commercially successful Sweet vs Sour storyline, often made better by exaggeration and dramatic editing. Competition is the cornerstone of human existence, perseverance and entertainment, from natural selection, to capitalism and televised games. The show is just as “real” as The Truman Show, but provides more astonished watercooler gossip and ratings.

What?

I posit that deontological ethics can be used to justify guest judging and classification of being a good cook vs cooking good food with respect to critical doctrines of obligation and good will: The class of actions in accordance with duty must be distinguished from the class of actions performed for the sake of duty, or so Kantian ethos goes....

Is that why none of them can seem to cook rice?

When Richard was cutting up the pig, I thought I heard him say something about head to toe, and then later he's torching pig feet. Where did the feet go in his dishes? I don't remember his mentioning them when he was presenting his dishes.

The new car was an odd prize. I felt like I was watching The Price is Right.

I just watched the episode (power was out last night). It was obvious about half way through the episode that Antonia would be packing her knives-it's the consistent editing using foreshadowing that singles out the loser. When Nicki talked about Antonia not being on her game, then the dreaded rice, it was no surprise at the end. Plus, the judges said NOTHING to her about her food when they tasted it. Not good.

Lisa is Lisa, and while she was all sunshine when she reunited with her colleagues in Puerto Rico (did you see Richard trying to not catch a personality disorder when she hugged him?), she quickly turned Debbie Downer. I think Stephanie and Richard were just too stunned and saddened to pick up on the fact that it would have been civil to say something along the lines of "good for you". But, I can understand. The bad will that she's garnered is giving her a big old kiss from karma.

The new car was an odd prize.
I could have understood it a bit better if it were a Highlander like the ones they've been driving around in all season long. Stephanie got a suite of appliances...it would seem to be the next step up in prizes...but instead they opted for a Corolla?

What do they always say? If a nuclear explosion occurred, the only thing left would be the cockroaches?

Listen, this is the only reality show that I watch on television, so I am not just some person who watches this crap all the time and shits on whoever the show edits to be the bad guy. Lisa just seriously sucks ass in every way, shape and form. She is a no talent compared to many on the show, she is a pain in the ass to work with and she is a freakin bitch on top of all of that. I mean, even Richard made a snark comment (which made me laugh out loud) about her winning the bronze medal, I think that is pretty out of character for him to say, so she definitely rubs people the wrong way. But, I am telling you one thing, no chance that she watches the show and thinks to herself, "Hmmm, maybe I really am a pain in the ass and I should do something to change my behavior." She is just a classical dumbass who has no idea how much she sucks, everyone else is just crazy.

And, no, this was not my most eloquent post ever, but it really burns me up that much. And, it really burns me up even more that I give a crap about this. What the hell has become of my life!?

What do they always say? If a nuclear explosion occurred, the only thing left would be the cockroaches?

Listen, this is the only reality show that I watch on television, so I am not just some person who watches this crap all the time and shits on whoever the show edits to be the bad guy. Lisa just seriously sucks ass in every way, shape and form. She is a no talent compared to many on the show, she is a pain in the ass to work with and she is a freakin bitch on top of all of that. I mean, even Richard made a snark comment (which made me laugh out loud) about her winning the bronze medal, I think that is pretty out of character for him to say, so she definitely rubs people the wrong way. But, I am telling you one thing, no chance that she watches the show and thinks to herself, "Hmmm, maybe I really am a pain in the ass and I should do something to change my behavior." She is just a classical dumbass who has no idea how much she sucks, everyone else is just crazy.

And, no, this was not my most eloquent post ever, but it really burns me up that much. And, it really burns me up even more that I give a crap about this. What the hell has become of my life!?

This post is why Lisa is still in the competition. She makes you all squirm, but you will all come back for more.

I almost vomited when the car came in.

(I had never seen an episode of this show before randomly flipping into this episode when I got home the other night.)

Lisa is delusional.

You've been watching the show and following some of the stuff online?

Oh no, I don't read the blogs – you couldn't pay me to read the blogs. I don't want to know what people who can't even afford to eat in my restaurant, let alone know how to cook have to say about me, and the few comments I did read on Eater.com a few weeks back because my job asked me to read 'em. The best they could come up with was that I was ugly.

Plenty of bloggers have come up with more than that she's ugly, unless she's been reading the wrong blogs. And I could probably afford to eat at her restaurant, but why would I want to?

I never even thought about her being ugly, but now that she mentions it, I hate her because she's ugly too!
One thing that really griped me about her early on (which had nothing to do with editing) was how she talked about diners and us "normal" people like we are all unsophisticated peasants who think McDonald's is gourmet. Can't afford to eat at her restaurant.... Ugh.

Lisa is delusional.

Plenty of bloggers have come up with more than that she's ugly, unless she's been reading the wrong blogs. And I could probably afford to eat at her restaurant, but why would I want to?

She's one to talk about being able to afford something while she's on national television with a shitty $5 haircut.

The intense hostility Lisa both expresses and engenders in others, simultaneously demanding respect and admiration while claiming that she doesn't care what other people think about her, blaming others (projection) and rejecting feedback from the judges (defensiveness) are classic signs of a narcissistic borderline personality.