3 Bar and Grill (i.e., Restaurant 3), Clarendon - Chef Brian Robinson on Clarendon Blvd. - Closed

If I worked near here, I'd be a regular. The art deco bar is beautiful, and the beers on tap for $3 during happy hour is a screaming bargain. We had good experiences with the food, having the tuna lollipops, scallops and grits, and the duck lettuce wraps. The scallops could have had a little less gravy or maybe a thicker gravy, but were very tasty. The duck was tasty but the meat itself was pretty oily. We were happy with it overall though. And the chocolate bread pudding travels well for a takeout dessert.

Bleu Cheese Chips, Point Reyes Bleu, House-Cured Bacon ($9) are messy as sin and a true guilty pleasure: hand-cut, house-fried potato chips with scads of melty, tangy cheese and crispy chunks (not bits) of smoky bacon. They're like everything you want nachos to be, but so rarely are.

The Smothered Trout, Pan Seared, Shrimp, Mussels, Tomato, Asiago Grits ($18) (which has been much discussed in this thread) was quite good, the skin very crispy and the flaky fish set off nicely by the acid of the tomatoes and onions. The two head-on shrimp and the mussels were flavorful and cooked properly, and the grits were outstanding, creamy and very cheesy without being overwhelmed by salt. An overly-heavy hand with an overly-buttery sauce provided the one off-note; luckily, the grits could be used to make a nice little barrier to prevent the sauce from drowning the rest of the dish.

It wasn't until the bar emptied out completely around 10 p.m. that we realized how loud it had been. It was a bit like eating with Dr. Kakofanous A. Dischord and the DYNNE. That said, it wouldn't stop me from coming back. :)

Had a burger for lunch yesterday and it was very good. Of course, the BLT my companion had looked awesome. I might have to try that next. FYI this is a great place for a lunch business meeting in the area as it is quiet and they will put you away from others and had no problem with the amount of time we spent there.

Hubby and I decided to go out Friday night to run an errand to William and Sonoma in Clarendon and eat out, with Max. I wanted to go to 3 Bar and Grill and he happily obliged. I was a little worried that since it was so nice out Friday and the patio was busy we wouldn't be able to get a seat. Matt went in to see if it was ok to have Max and put our name on the list, but they had an open table and sat us right away. No problems whatsoever with Max. In fact they pet him and gave him water. But he is very good and will just sit and lay under our table (amazing for a 8 month old puppy) happy as a clam to be out with Mom and Dad, although he did get up when some girls wanted to pet him and when Matt fed him some duck (lucky dog) and a fry.

I got a glass of wine and Hubby a beer. We didn't realize it was RW so I guess we were really lucky to get a spot. I ordered the blue cheese chips and duck lettuce wraps. Hubby had the duck sandwich. The blue cheese chips are awesome and gluttonous. I couldn't finish even half of them, I wrote about them on the nacho thread because they really satisfy that craving well. Homemade chips with blue cheese and house cured thick bacon. The duck lettuce wraps are essentially the duck with bbq sauce on the side from the sandwich and some slaw. This was a great way to have the duck in a gluten free way (although the sauce may have worchestershire sauce or other gluten I am not sure) and I highly recommend it!

Anyway they were so accommodating and it was really a nice, relaxing evening for us.

The pig roast over the weekend no doubt contributed to today's $10 Workers Chomp lunch special BBQ pork sandwich with a side salad (you could also opt for fries) and soft drink. This is not a pulled pork sandwich, but more of pork "chunks" in a slightly sweet BBQ sauce. It was very tasty, but was outshone by a shared appetizer of Scallops and Grits, which also featured generous portions of diced tasso ham and tomatoes. This is definitely a dish I will want to see again. Don't forget a basket of bread to sop up the juices. As always, we experienced a relaxing and pleasant atmosphere with outstanding service. This has become one of our favorite lunch spots.

Met some friends there Thursday night. They hadn't seen the sign but I did that it was "bacon happy hour" until 8.

Unfortunately, our service was extremely slow, so it was hard to get in an order in the 20-some minutes I had before 8, but I did get in a beer and an order each of bacon on a stick and the barbecue pork sliders.

The porter I ordered was good, though the server didn't have any idea who made it.

The bacon on a stick, thick cuts of bacon with the heavy taste of maple syrup, was delicious.

The pork sliders had a bit too much bun to meat ratio for my tastes - the top bun was very big and fluffy, and I could barely taste the meat past it.

The big thing really ended up being the service. She was friendly and nice but it was just so slow, especially for those of us who were faster drinkers (or who talked less, I guess).

Had brunch at 3 with our friends on Sunday morning, my stomach had been a little off that morning, so I was not feeling up to eating anything too out there. I got the skillet, which was good, but I think I like everything better just as the country breakfast. It could have used something, maybe some onions and peppers, or spinach or something, it just didn't really hit it for me, but again I was feeling the best, so am probably being a little picky.

Everyone else liked their breakfast and I am just so happy to be able to wander in here on a weekend, without a long line and get some good breakfast. I am always amazed they aren't busier for brunch as they have really good items. Next time I want the cornbread benedict which looked great, but I just wasn't up for hollandaise. I love this place, it is one of my real favorites in the area. I got a group of girlfriends to agree to do our next group happy hour here (we switch back to different locations in NOVA) and I think they are going to really like it.

To the engagement party happening Saturday night- I'm sorry for any off color language you might have heard emanating from the corner table.

I had my normal order of lettuce wraps with duck bbq which were as usual quite tasty. BUT I saw the meatloaf and the ribeye and knew right away I ordered wrong. They looked delicious. Now I can't get them out of my mind!

Last night I left the TV on something and this show came on called "Food Paradise". The episode was all about bacon - and 3 was prominently featured!

Now I am very hungry for pig, and will have to make it a point to come here for a happy hour visit sometime this week in the vital build-up to the holiday weekend. (The holiday being, of course, my birthday.)

Had a nice brunch on Sunday after a visit to the Mac store with the pup in tow. Our server forgot about us for a bit, but management was so nice, they gave us free drinks and a $5 gift certificate for next time and we got everything after that time very promptly. It was so nice outside it was very forgivable, but we will be back to use our $5 for duck bbq or some other good stuff I am sure. This is one of our favorite low key dinner spots.

I had an omlette with mushroom, spinach and bacon with potatoes. It was good. I always like that they have some normal breakfast and lunch things on the menu. Although I think they need a hash of some sort.

3 Bar & Grill is currently having their third annual Week O Bacon (I believe until Saturday of this week) and for the third year in a row I went with some friends. I still have not managed to get back to 3 for a regular meal, but I have really enjoyed their bacon meals and the regular menu looks great. One day I will make it back.

Eight of us met up for dinner last night and gave a thorough sampling of the Week O Bacon menu ($30 for 3 courses). Our server, Brandon, was very friendly and attentive, and when they couldn't find the bottle of prosecco we ordered, he offered us an alternative for the same price.

Appetizers included:

Wedge Salad (Iceberg lettuce, house cured bacon bits, cherry tomatoes, bleu cheese crumbles and Bleu cheese dressing) - I ordered this last year and my +1 had it this year. I wouldn't say it's anything new or inventive in the world of wedge salads, but the chunks of bacon are large and meaty and the bleu cheese is plentiful. (this is on the regular menu)

Bacon Crusted Chicken Wings (Our smoked chicken wings but breaded and fried with a Panko Bread crumb & ground bacon coating tossed in a bacon buffalo sauce) - As a lover of all things bacon and of Buffalo wings, I had to order this. It was a large serving of 5 giant wings and drumettes that reminded me of upscale Shake & Bake. They were meaty and moist with a nice crunch on the outside, but I could've used more sauce for sure. They tasted mostly of fried chicken and bacon and not enough of hot sauce.

Soup (Bacon Noodle Soup) - This seemed the least interesting of the 3 options, but my friend said it was good. Just like chicken noodle soup but with bacon instead.

Entrees were:

Country Fried Bacon (Thick cut slab of bacon breaded and fried, green beans mashed potatoes and bacon gravy) - Now this was certainly an indulgence. The bite I had was so salty and rich and the people that ordered this and the wings had a little bit of "fried" overload. Apparently the mashed potatoes and gravy were delicious.

Bacon Wrapped Pork Loin (wrapped with pulled pork & Bacon, bacon & cornbread stuffing, beer braised bacon brussels sprouts) - This was a large chunk of loin topped with pulled pork and all wrapped in bacon. Three layers of porky deliciousness. The stuffing and sprouts were also nice and smoky. I actually only had a few bites of this and wrapped the rest up for leftovers so I could fully enjoy dessert. (this is on the regular menu)

Dessert was:

Bacon Studded Waffle (Its a waffle with Bacon bits mixed in the batter, topped with maple bacon ice cream and whipped cream, and yes the ice cream is made with bacon) - Although the apps and entrees have changed every year, this dessert has remained the same, and with good reason. It is delicious. A crispy Belgian waffle with hunks of bacon scattered throughout, topped with rich and creamy bacon ice cream. It's all that sweet and salty should be. This is on the normal menu. Go and order it. Thank me later.

We also tried the:

Bacon Martini (Bacon infused Vodka, Dry Vermouth, garnished with an olive and Bacon (Not for the faint of heart) $9 - or $5 during HH at the bar) - This drink is intense. I think most people could only drink one. It really tastes like you're drinking bacon.

Bacon Bloody Mary (Bacon infused vodka, house bloody mary mix, Garnished with...you guessed it, Bacon $9 - or $5 during HH at the bar) - Although the bacon flavor didn't come through that much in the drink itself, it was a good bloody mary. The thick cut bacon garnish was quite good.

Bacon on a Stick (4 thick cut strips of our house cured bacon on a stick with “Magic Sauce” $6) - It's exactly what it says, and the "Magic Sauce" is something sweet, akin to syrup. It tasted like when your bacon gets too near your pancakes at breakfast...but more delicious.

Just re-living the meal is making me thirsty...it's certainly not for someone watching their sodium! But for a once-a-year treat, I'm certainly already looking forward to next October.

I had an omlette with mushroom, spinach and bacon with potatoes. It was good. I always like that they have some normal breakfast and lunch things on the menu.

I went to 3 for the first time a few Saturdays ago, and quite enjoyed sunnyside up eggs over cheese grits with sausage links, and my friend seemed happy with her waffle and bacon. Not that there's anything insightful here, but since Don is asking for more activity and it's been awhile since this place came up, well, here ya go. This seems like the kind of place I'd pop into frequently for an impromptu meal if I lived anywhere nearby.

3 Bar & Grill is closing tonight after service. :(

The restaurant has been purchased by the Spanish La Tagliatella group.

Chin up, Brian and Sean. Please contact me directly when you're ready, and I will help you.

--

LET'S HAVE AN IMPROMPTU DR.COM HAPPY HOUR TODAY IN CELEBRATION OF THIS PLACE. They have one of *the* best beer selections in the DC area. Come on, let's turn a sad occasion into a happy one. Members, guests, just start showing up at the bar - no need to RSVP here unless you want to. Let's give Chef Brian Robinson, Sous Chef Sean Mooney, GM Leslie Foster, the Williams and Cahill families, and the entire staff a well-deserved round of applause.

--

At 12:55 PM, there are 76 people reading this thread. Let's drink these guys out of beer tonight!

Edited by DonRocks

Oh shit, this just ruined my day. This has been our go-to in Clarendon since it opened. Always great service, an awesome selection, phenomenal and consistent food. For some reason that I can't explain right now, I always considered 3 "above the fray" of the rest of the neighborhood. I wish them all luck and hope they re-open somewhere else soon.

p.s. - re-open on the Pike!

The restaurant has been purchased by the Spanish La Tagliatella group.

This group was purchased in April, 2011 by AmRest, a $350-million company based in Poland. According to Wikipedia:

"In April 2011 AmRest announced the acquisition of Spanish company Restauravia, operating 30 KFC’s and over 120 Italian Casual Dining restaurants La Tagliatella. Due to it's unique and exeptionaly profitable business model, La Tagliatella was announced to be one of the main drivers of AmRest's global expansion."

An Italian restaurant run by a Spanish group purchased by a Polish company. How exotic. :rolleyes: