Any new Lisbon/Porto recommendations? Especially for New Year’s Eve,  tu we will have 8 days to eat between these two cities, so looking for many ideas!

Have a lunch of the best fresh grilled fish at Ultimo Porto.  It’s right on the waterfront sort of across from the Museu de Arte Antiga (also worth a visit).  It’s a bit tricky to get to, but worth it!

I'm traveling to Portugal in early July for a wedding in Porto. I'd appreciate any recommendations, either in terms of itinerary, restaurants, sights, etc. Current thoughts are to hit Lisbon, Porto, and the Douro Valley. 

• Like 1

On 1/11/2019 at 2:32 PM, Mark Dedrick said:

I'm traveling to Portugal in early July for a wedding in Porto. I'd appreciate any recommendations, either in terms of itinerary, restaurants, sights, etc. Current thoughts are to hit Lisbon, Porto, and the Douro Valley. 

And we will be there in August - Lisbon and the South, near Lagos.  Already have reservations for Alma in Lisbon, which looks amazing, and the Vista Restaurant in Portimao.  Any other recommendations appreciated (including for kid-friendly places we might visit during the day).  Also spending a few days in Nerja, Spain.

On 6/11/2019 at 10:16 PM, Rhone1998 said:

And we will be there in August - Lisbon and the South, near Lagos.  Already have reservations for Alma in Lisbon, which looks amazing, and the Vista Restaurant in Portimao.  Any other recommendations appreciated (including for kid-friendly places we might visit during the day).  Also spending a few days in Nerja, Spain.

I'll post more thoroughly soon, but we just returned from Portugal yesterday. Ate at Alma Saturday night. I'd definitely keep that reservation, it was quite delicious. His other restaurant, Tapisco, is also quite good. We stumbled in there one night when the line for Ramiro was completely insane. 

• Like 3

On 7/8/2019 at 5:35 PM, Mark Dedrick said:

I'll post more thoroughly soon, but we just returned from Portugal yesterday. Ate at Alma Saturday night. I'd definitely keep that reservation, it was quite delicious. His other restaurant, Tapisco, is also quite good. We stumbled in there one night when the line for Ramiro was completely insane. 

@Mark Dedrick & @Rhone1998, I'd love to hear your recs from your recent trips to Lisbon and Porto.  

Portimão

On 10/6/2019 at 3:58 PM, youngfood said:

@Mark Dedrick & @Rhone1998, I'd love to hear your recs from your recent trips to Lisbon and Porto.  

The best meal we had in Portugal was in the South, at the 1 Michelin star Vista restaurant in a town on the Atlantic called Portimao. We had eaten at Alma in Lisbon 3 days earlier and though both were excellent, we thought Vista was superior in every way save for the wine service.  It featured uncommon ingredients (think locally foraged seaweed) and beautiful, unusual presentations (chocolate oranges you pluck from a tree).  Dining on their large patio while the sun sets over the ocean in front of you was amazing.  Interestingly, not that we cared much either way, but service was much more correct/formal at Vista than Alma - choreographed waitstaff simultaneously lifting lids off platters with a nod to each other, that sort of thing.  Alma, though with an additional star, was more relaxed.  At the end of the day, though, I am nitpicking we are lucky to have experienced both these amazing places.

I probably gained 10 lbs in Portugal from eating pastais de nata alone.  They are everywhere and mostly very good.  I think the locals expect a high standard.  Try to get them warm. The ones at Manteigaria were very good.

We followed a taxi driver's advice to take local roads near the coast on our drive from Lisbon south to the Algarve, skipping the highways, and we're glad we did.  Stop by the small town of Sines on the way.  There's a steep curved road down to the beach.  Park at the top, walk down, dip your toes in the Atlantic long enough to realize it's too freezing cold to swim in, work up a bit of an appetite on your climb back up the hill, and stop at the little seafood restaurant on your right before you get to the parking area.  The locals inside will be watching soccer, no one speaks English, but everyone is happy and friendly, drinking beer and eating freshly prepared seafood from the display case at the entrance.  It's cheap, too.

Lagos was pretty touristy but we enjoyed a place there called O Mexilhao. Standouts, as usual, were fresh seafood (fresh grilled sardines were the highlight).  I'd say that was generally the trick to finding a good meal -- stick to seafood, go places where you can see it before you order it, and hang outside a few minutes before heading in to see whether it's mostly tourists or locals entering. 

After your meal, get a gelato, then walk to the next block and get another gelato so you can see which is better.  Try to resist the temptation to stop at the nata place between the two.  Honestly, does anyone love sweets more than the Portuguese?

• Like 2