Our own oliveDC (Metrocurean) is reporting on her blog that Mendocino Grille and Sonoma's owners are planning a Bethesda outpost for spring of 2008, to be called Pacific. It will have a wine bar like Sonoma and offer breakfast and a small gourmet market. Griz Dwight of Grizform Design, who designed Black's Bar and Kitchen and PS 7 is the designer.

What are you opening in Bethesda in 2008?

Hi Meaghan,

In early 2008, Jared and I will be opening up a new restaurant in the latest addition to Bethesda Row, on the site of the old Giant.

I think there may be a thread on the topic somewhere on DR, but the idea is we'll be bringing a seasonal, organic, and locally-driven menu to Bethesda, with our usual wine-centric orientation.

See you up there soon!

<snip> Bethesda, with our usual wine-centric orientation.

;) May the force be with you.

Hi Meaghan,

In early 2008, Jared and I will be opening up a new restaurant in the latest addition to Bethesda Row, on the site of the old Giant.

I think there may be a thread on the topic somewhere on DR, but the idea is we'll be bringing a seasonal, organic, and locally-driven menu to Bethesda, with our usual wine-centric orientation.

See you up there soon!

Ellen here. First, thanks for the PM explaining the menu planning situation. I really appreciated the answer. We were actually thinking of trying Sonoma the other night, after a Hill event, but it was too bloody hot to walk over, and then have to schlep back out to Bethesda afterwards. Which brings me to second - great news that you will be coming to Bethesda. We are looking forward to it. It is hard enough for me to force myself to go out of the house and into traffic to go to Bethesda (in nice weather, we can walk) much less downtown.

Hi Meaghan,

See you up there soon!

Question....how are you going to handle the challenges of sourcing some great and interesting wines given the MoCo control of the liquor scene? I'm really curious.

TIA!

REDROCKS, COLUMBIA HEIGHTS� FAVORITE SPOT FOR GOURMET PIZZA, NOW OPEN FOR LUNCH, BRUNCH, AND MONDAY NIGHTS

Bottomless Mimosas, Happy Hour Food and Drink Specials Now at RedRocks FireBrickPizzeria, 1036 Park Rd., NW

Washington, D.C., (Sept. 19, 2007) - RedRocks FireBrickPizzeria, Washington, D.C.'s favorite new pizzeria and café, is now open Monday nights, as well as Tuesday through Sunday for lunch, offering the full menu of gourmet, brick-oven pizza, panini, salads and starters. Located in D.C.'s booming Columbia Heights neighborhood, RedRocks is now also serving a full brunch menu-featuring omelets, Belgian waffles and breakfast pizza, every Saturday and Sunday from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.

The 95 seat, 1,800 square foot restaurant, opened in July, offers both traditional and gourmet pizzas straight from the 900 degree brick oven. Sunday brunch features Bottomless Mimosas for $9 as well as a wide selection of wines by the bottle and the glass, Chimay Triple, Brooklyn Lager, Smuttynose Shoals Pale Ale and Allagash White on tap and 30 beers and microbrews by the bottle.

Saturday and Sunday brunch features specialties such as Belgian waffles served with fresh whipped cream, fruit and Vermont maple syrup, potato and egg pizza with truffle oil and herbs, a variety of omelets made to order, steamed clams cooked in Marsala wine with house-baked toast, and Eggs in Hell-poached eggs in marinara sauce with house-baked toast. A full brunch menu is available online at: http://firebrickpizza.com/brunch.htm.

RedRocks also offers not one, but two happy hours every day, from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. and again from 10 p.m. to midnight. Happy hour special include half-priced cheese pizzas, half-priced house wine, $1 off all draft beers and $4 rail liquor drinks.

"I wanted RedRocks to be a cozy, neighborhood kind of place where people from all over can come, sit on the patio, inside, or at the bar, and hang out for brunch, lunch, dinner, or late night," said owner James O'Brien. "Of course, our brick-oven pizzas are our pride and joy, but specials like our Belgian Waffles at brunch or our twice-daily happy hours are another great reason to stop by and say hello."

With spacious rooms on two levels for inside seated dining, a takeout section downstairs for carryout customers, and a gorgeous and expansive patio seating 35 people, RedRocks invites diners to stop in for lunch, dinner, early or late evening specials, or weekend brunch to enjoy a hand-crafted beer, a glass of wine, and a crisp wood-fired pie.

RedRocks' brick-oven pies come in more than a dozen varieties, including the classic Margherita, with fresh basil and mozzarella. Of course, guests can always play chef and pick their favorites from among 30 toppings. In addition to serving some of the best pizza in DC, the eclectic and casual menu features items such as warm olives with garlic and herbs, baked panzarotti, wood-fired fresh fish, mussels marinara, white bean and tuna salad, and an array of grilled panini on homemade bread. The full lunch and dinner menu is available online at: http://firebrickpizza.com/menu2.htm.

"Columbia Heights is well-known for its history and personality, and our twice-daily happy hour specials and Bottomless Mimosas at brunch are our way of saying thanks for giving RedRocks such a warm welcome to the neighborhood," said O'Brien.

Situated in a beautifully restored rowhouse on the corner of Park Road and 11th Street Northwest, RedRocks is just two blocks from the historic Tivoli Theater, the forthcoming DC USA shopping center (to open in 2008) and only three blocks from the green and yellow line at the Columbia Heights Metro Station. RedRocks is located at 1036 Park Rd. NW.

Dining hours are:

Monday, 5 p.m. to midnight
Tuesday - Thursday and Sunday, 11 a.m. to midnight
Friday and Saturday, 11 a.m. to 1 a.m.
***Brunch and full menu available on Saturday and Sunday between 11 a.m. and 4 p.m.***

For more information or to arrange an interview, please call (202) 320-7161.

###

Anyone have an update on the opening date? Walked by last week and it looked to be close.
For what it's worth, ZagatBuzz reports that it should open next week.

After an ill-fated attempt to purchase iPhones from the Bethesda Row Apple Store, ferment everything and myself walked over to see how Redwood was doing and we were pleasantly surprised to find that Redwood was in the midst of its soft-opening with the bar & lounge area open to the public and dining room open to select patrons (seemingly).

A cursory glance at the bar menu featured a focus on regional providers and included items such as steamed mussels, a chicken liver mousse, a nice burger, and a few other items that Eric will have to jog my memory to recall. The space is impressive but not overwhelming with tall ceilings and rich wood paneling that hopefully did not come from Redwoods, but serves to give that illusion!

I had the pleasure of attending the soft opening last week and despite some to-be-expected kinks, I really enjoyed myself. Just to clarify, I think actually open to anyone at this point- I simply called and made a reservation. They were doing a prix-fixed menu of three courses for $20. My table started w/bison marrow and then all of us got a beet salad, salmon on some kind of summer succotash, and dessert of a layered white cake with housemade (supposedly) strawberry jam. Everything was impressive, esp. for the second night of service. The service was surprisingly good this early on and our server seemed really excited to be there. The food, kinks and all, was also very good and I am excited to go back for the full menu. The only issue I had was the atmosphere, which felt a little cold and austere for me, esp. for a neighborhood restaurant. I am not sure if that is because everything wasn't quite in place yet but I think they could tweak that just a bit. Overall, I think this will be a great addition to downtown Bethesda.

Unless I missed something, the previous poster wasn't an invited guest but a member of the dining public who called and made a reservation. Perhaps you could clarify your concerns?

I walked past last night (not looking to buy an IPhone...) and was struck at how industrial the space looked from the outside. I was too busy drooling over the Le Creuset store to go in.

I saw more than a few people eating inside on Sunday - didn't try and go in however. Are you now "unofficially" open Eli?

I saw more than a few people eating inside on Sunday - didn't try and go in however. Are you now "unofficially" open Eli?

Eli made it perfectly clear that Redwood is officially closed until July 21st - stop looking for cracks in the dam! :lol:

Hi, Everyone -- REDWOOD is open, but still in a "preview" status. They have been doing this for a couple of weeks. The space is huge and very pretty -- with great outside seating in a literal "row." Lots of little shops with apartments above. Underground parking.

Rock Creek welcomes them to the neighborhood!

Hi all,

I'm new to this board (and new to the DC area), so apologies if I break the etiquette.

But I'm obsessed with Redwood... I walked by a couple weeks ago and was intrigued by the decor and the beautiful windows. And then happened upon the soft opening. Had the vidalia onion rings and loved them. Then went back for wine and dessert. Had a malbec that was very reasonable and lovely. And the "house made cookies" that were AMAZING! Soft.... warm... and one of the varieties had a cherry flavor that rocked!

We're going back for Bethesda Restaurant week tomorrow night and I plan to review it at my blog - www.youngandmarriedindc.com.

Almost 30 in DC

Had an excuse to checkout Redwood for dinner while it's Restaurant Week [RW] in Bethesda [still a limited menu during this soft launch]

Nice-looking space. Very long [nice-sized bar area w/ plenty of seats for noshing & chatting, and the main dining area is separated by the Hosts stand when you 1st walk-in]

Since it was RW, seems that they had full reservations for the dining room. No matter. Since it was pretty early in the evening [5-ish], they agreed to let the girlfriend & I order off the main menu while seated in the Bar area. [not their normal course of action it seems, the Host had to let the Bartenders know we had "permission" to order for the menu].

Redwood's proclaimed mission "Bring customers a seasonal menu, rooted in American tradition, that showcases the Mid-Atlantic's ingredients. Our produce is organic or sustainable whenever possible; our meats are naturally-raised; our seafood wild or sustainable/ We support local artisanal cheesemakers,growers, ranchers, fisherman, and encourage you to do the same by buying local at your farmer's market or grocer." Whew, that was a mouthful to read off the menu :lol:

The RW Deal was 9 choices for Starters, 11 choices for Mains [2 of which were entrees for 2: whole roasted rockfish & a smoked beef short ribs], and about 5 for Dessert. Some items has upcharges.

Food was quite good, as I'd expect from the owners of Sonoma & Mendocino Grille. We 1st ordered a small cheese platter [extra from the RW deal, heh when in Rome...]. It was nicely presented, the cheeses were fine [Goat, Blue, & a Hard Cow], but what we definitely liked were the accompaniments of actual honeycomb & some sort of apricot spread [although covered with some seeds of a sort, changed the flavor substantially, sorry forgot to ask what it was]. For our Starters, we had Bison Marrow Bones w/ a Mushroom-Berg crust [yum] but the winner for this course was Iron Skillet Mussels in a wonderful Garlic-Parsley Butter sauce. For our Mains, we tried a Quail w/ Spice Glaze, Braised Kale and Figs [good flavor, sorta wierd presentation to us], and a Pork Loin w/ Grits and Melted Vidalia Onions [juicy & flavorful, loved it]. As for Dessert, we tried their version of Central's Kit-Kat bar [nice peanut butter ice cream & tasty chocolate cake, I'd get this again].

As for the wine & drink menu, their by-the-glass wines seemed fine enough but started around $8 [Malbec] but most were in the $10 - 15 range [a little pricy imo, but this is Bethesda & they spent some coin on the place]. Tried their Redwood cocktail, Ok but didn't particularly impress me. Oh, and a decent selection of Draft & Bottle beers [nothing too crazy, I wish they'd put some of Belgians on the menu!]

Service was good in the bar area, they checked on us just the right amount.

As others said above, this is quite promising place, can't wait for full menus to be available and for them to get the kinks out.

When I was there over two weeks ago the menus contained the request that those participating in the soft lauch not post about their experiences. Suffice it to say my praise would have been effusive.

Last I heard Mendocino is now in the extremely capable hands of Troy Bock, who under Eli and Jared was responsible for the wine program both there and at Sonoma.

I keep reading this line, but didn't I read somewhere that Menocino is no longer owned by the same group?

I heard it's becoming a burger joint-taqueria-yogurt shop. So many trends to keep up with these days!

Of course, reality isn't as exciting as rumor. Jared and I remain sole owners of Mendocino, Troy Bock, our longtime wine buyer, is overseeing the intimate restaurant while we open Redwood.

No such request last night on the menu about not postings experiences [maybe that's changed?]

When I was there over two weeks ago the menus contained the request that those participating in the soft lauch not post about their experiences. Suffice it to say my praise would have been effusive.

Last I heard Mendocino is now in the extremely capable hands of Troy Bock, who under Eli and Jared was responsible for the wine program both there and at Sonoma.

Has anyone else gone to Redwood for restaurant week? I have reservations for tonight and have called repeatedly to get information about the menu - we are taking picky teenagers with us and I want to make sure that they will not mope. Yesterday I was told that there would be three options but the person that answered the phone had no way of knowing what was on the menu. I did not expect specifics but the total lack of information was surprising. Today I was told there would be a fish option, a meat option, a hamburger option etc. The person I talked to could give me no more information. The previous post makes the food sound so much more interesting than the restaurant does. So, if anyone else has gone please post about your experience.

Thanks,

Toby

[There are any number of valid, legitimate, customer-friendly reasons why a new restaurant might not want to promote their Restaurant Week here.]

Perhaps -- although none comes immediately to mind.

But in any event, this isn't a matter of advertisement. Certain folks who are very interested in this restaurant, and hoping that it succeeds, asked what its Restaurant Week policies are. Certainly that's relevant information to those of us who are trying to decide whether to eat there during the Restaurant Week. It's not a state secret -- it's information now known to the hundreds of patrons who have been to Redwood in the past few days, and to anyone who asks on the phone. One of the proprietors actually reads the thread, and could save everyone here the trouble of calling/stopping by, by simply telling us this public information.

But he doesn't do so, even though he bothers to post twice, thereby leaving it to others to find out and to announce it on the list. For what purpose? How is that "customer-friendly"? I'm genuinely curious, because this seems so evidently to be very poor customer relations. (And I say that as someone who has very much enjoyed every visit to Sonoma and Mendocino, and is looking forward to Redwood.)

[10,000 unique visitors a month and they don't want to be overrun in their second week of business?]

"We're offering any appetizer, any entree and any dessert on our menu for $30 this week. However, I should warn you that because we just opened, and it's Restaurant Week, we are already almost fully booked for the week. If you can't get a reservation, we'd love to have you join us even after Restaurant Week -- fear not, because as at Mendocino and Sonoma, we charge very fairly for the quality of fare offered."

Would that be so hard?