Potomac Point Winery

My wife and I went to the just opened Potomac Point Winery this weekend. I must say that I was pretty impressed. The wines were some of, if not the best I have had at a Virginia Winery. They had several very good wines including a really nice Port.

The owner is the president of a home building company and spared no expense in building the winery. It is beautiful. It reminds me of some of the really nice places in Napa or Sonoma. It's done in the Meditaranian style. They have spaces for events, weddings, etc.... plus really nice places to hang out and enjoy some food and wine.

Like I said it just opened like 2 or 3 weeks ago, and their Grand Opening is next month, but from what I've seen I'm very impressed and excited to have something so nice down in my neck of the woods.

I'll give you a better breakdown on the wines we tasted in a later post, as I don't have my notes with me here at work.

My wife and I went to the just opened Potomac Point Winery this weekend. I must say that I was pretty impressed. The wines were some of, if not the best I have had at a Virginia Winery. They had several very good wines including a really nice Port.

The owner is the president of a home building company and spared no expense in building the winery. It is beautiful. It reminds me of some of the really nice places in Napa or Sonoma. It's done in the Meditaranian style. They have spaces for events, weddings, etc.... plus really nice places to hang out and enjoy some food and wine.

Like I said it just opened like 2 or 3 weeks ago, and their Grand Opening is next month, but from what I've seen I'm very impressed and excited to have something so nice down in my neck of the woods.

I'll give you a better breakdown on the wines we tasted in a later post, as I don't have my notes with me here at work.

Can you send me a list of their wines when you have a chance. I'd like to add them to our wine database at wine-compass.com. Thanks.

Sorry it took so long to reply on this.

Here's what they were pouring the day we were there.

2006 Le Belle Vie - 40% Pinot Grigio, 30% Viognier, 10% Chardonnay, 20% Marsanne

Light, slightly sweet.

2006 Chardonnay

This one was a gold medal winner for them, although it was my least favorite

2006 Viognier Reserve

Another Gold Medal Winner. Much better then the Chard in my opinion

2006 Cabernet Franc - 81% Cab Franc, 19% Malbec

Not usually a big Cab Franc fan, but this one was pretty good. Alot of fruit, was great with chocolate.

2006 Abbinato - 10% Sangviovese, 65% Refosco, 25% Nebbiolo

Chianti style blend. Was my second least favorite.

2006 Heritage - 40% Merlot, 40% Cabernet, 20% Petit Verdot

Silver Medal Winner. Good fruit and smooth finish.

2006 Norton

Medium Body, lingering finish. Not bad at all.

2006 Rabelos Port - 75% Touriga National, 25% Tinta Cao

Silver Medal Winner. Was probably the best thing I tasted that day.

Thanks for the info. I've always wanted to make a long weekend trip to check out several areas of Virginia wineries to see if Virginia wines are indeed the best of the east coast outside of NY and the Niagara bench. They should be able to easily squash anything Maryland wineries have to offer. But, I have to admit, medals and awards mean nothing to me. Tastes matters.

As a side note, this operation appears to have invested a significant portion of their operating budget on event planning. I imagine they think this is where a lot of revenue will come in...Curious....

I can think of another winery that could probably be said about, Oasis Winery. I did not like their wines at all when I was out at their winery. Granted I didn't try their sparkling wine, which is supposed to be among the best made in the US but based on their other wines I had no inclination to pay extra to try it. Their grounds however are gorgeous and they host many weddings on them. Being near the Marriott Ranch probably doesn't hurt.

It isn't a good sign to see a winery focus most of it's attention on event planning, but if it's a way to subsidize the winemaking operations and bring in cash during lean times it certainly can be a boon (which is probably one reason why so many Virginia wineries do offer event planning in at least some format); you just hope that it isn't their primary focus.