We did not eat particularly well while in Amsterdam, but it's a beautiful city. Restaurant Vermeer was very good, but expensive and stuffy. The canal tour with Those Dam Boat Guys was very cool, and a great way to see the city. And make sure you book your tickets for the Van Gogh museum and Ann Frank House in advance. 

I'm currently in Amsterdam for business meetings, but in the name of controlling travel costs flew in 24 hours early, sacrificing some personal time for a day of "workcation". Been eating very well...

Rijks - The weather was stunning (70 and sunny) and we were able to sit outside. They have a price fixe option €47 for four courses which was a perfect way to experience their menu paired with their excellent cocktails it was a fantastic lunch. The first course was a green gazpacho with crudite, avocado and burrata that was a pretty huge portion for a lunch tasting menu. Second course was steamed chicken with a light curry sauce. Cheese course was an ice cream made of Gorgonzola paired with different preparations of cherries.  The dessert course was made with coconut, basil seeds and mango.

Guts & Glory -  They don't publish a menu and offer five, six or seven course menus. They're currently celebrating their third anniversary with a "best of" their various chapters or menu themes since they opened. The meal started with an amuse including more green gazpacho, first course was ceviche, second was asparagus, third fish in a saffron sauce, fourth ramen, fifth lamb, a pre-dessert made with eggplant  and chocolate, and the dessert was a play on lemon meringue pie. Each course was very different but all were excellent.

Scandinavian Embassy - Its a tiny coffeeshop that serves an excellent all day breakfast menu. Their beans come from various Scandinavian roasters including Koffee Kollective. I was with a colleague and we shared a large pour over that was very delicately extracted - almost tea like. For breakfast we shared their graved lox with poached egg and lots of lovely vegetables and the mushroom pancake. Both items were STUNNING. Sprudge wrote that this could be the first Michelin starred coffee shop and I can completely see what they're saying. The coffee reminded of what we had at Fuglen in Tokyo the food was as good or better than what we had at coffee shops in Sydney or Melbourne. 

Van Wonderen Stroopwafels - They make them fresh in front of you with different interesting toppings. A warm, fresh stroopwafel is a divine thing. 

• Like 1

My daughter and one of her friends will be in Amsterdam beginning tomorrow for a few days. (Both are 21) If anyone cares to recommend very good/great and inexpensive places, please let me know. Thanks!

26 minutes ago, reedm said:

My daughter and one of her friends will be in Amsterdam beginning tomorrow for a few days. (Both are 21) If anyone cares to recommend very good/great and inexpensive places, please let me know. Thanks!

I was there this Spring: Have them do a Canal Tour - yes, they're touristy, but they're also an absolute must. They're everywhere, and it won't matter which one they take (ironically, our boat driver was personal friends with Bart Vandaele - the one we took was across the canal from Hotel Ambassade (take a right outside the hotel, then a left across the first bridge, and the tour company is right there)). The first night, dinner was at Lastage; the second night, dinner was at Sinne: Both were Michelin one-star restaurants, but Lastage was the better of the two. 

Force them to go to the Rijksmuseum, which is immersed in Vondelpark (we also went to the Van Gogh Museum - both are in walking distance of each other). There's also the Anne Frank House - we didn't go there, but it might be of interest.

This is one of the most beautiful and interesting cities I've ever seen - rings and rings of canals ... don't even think of having a car.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, reedm said:

Definitely go to Vondelpark and the Rijksmuseum. The Van Gogh Museum and the Moco (a modern art museum) are also nearby and worth a visit. My 24-year-old daughter enjoyed the Anne Frank House.I was unable to go because we didn't get reservations in advance. 

My daughter and her friends went out in the Squares at night, and she recommended taking a canal with a smaller company, where they let you bring on your own food and drinks.

Amsterdam is such a fun city. She will have a wonderful time!

• Like 1

Thanks for the great suggestions! My daughter has embraced my appreciation of food, so I'm confident she and her friend will find some wonderful spots. 

2 hours ago, reedm said:

Thanks for the great suggestions! My daughter has embraced my appreciation of food, so I'm confident she and her friend will find some wonderful spots. 

Both of the restaurants I mentioned were perfectly fine, but without criticizing them, I cant recommend either one in this particular situation (I hope you picked that up in my post). The cultural things, your daughter must do.