Costco (1983-, Formerly Price Club (1976-1997) - A Washington-Based, Membership-Only Retailer - the Second-Largest Retailer in the World

Pat

Just to add to the "what do you buy at Costco" part of this thread...there are two of us + one pup, and we have a good amount of storage space:

- nuts (as mentioned above, great deals, have to freeze or refrigerate most of the bag, we got a full-size standup freezer years ago for free through Freecycle and that's been one of our best finds, ever;

- packages of feta;

- coffee for during the week when we just want caffeine (they have big bags of Peet's on sale regularly, and bags of Mayorga and not-completely-overroasted Starbucks);

- household goods when on sale, like big boxes of tissues; also, Kirkland TP and paper towels;

- dental chews for the pupper, which are basically candy and I should probably search for something else;

- ground beef, prime-cut meat;

- frozen shrimp, though who knows where they come from;

- prescriptions for the pupper.  Well-priced and if you're just picking up the prescription(s), you only need to stop there, you don't need to go through the war zone of the registers.  Given that Pentagon City is my closest store, that's a huge bonus. 

On 4/20/2019 at 5:34 PM, captcourt said:

Just to add to the "what do you buy at Costco" part of this thread...there are two of us + one pup, and we have a good amount of storage space:

- dental chews for the pupper, which are basically candy and I should probably search for something else;

Haven't seen them in Costco- but we get Max the CET dental chews from Amazon.  He is a small pup and they are known to have not the greatest teeth, so our vet has recommended any CET product from early on.  Max eats the dental chews and doesn't seem to have a problem with them potentially being more healthy??? than name brand ones.  

Has anyone found a cheddar cheese at Costco that isn't super crumbly?

• Like 1

On 4/23/2019 at 7:00 AM, ktmoomau said:

Has anyone found a cheddar cheese at Costco that isn't super crumbly?

Not big wedges but my Costco has the white cheddar Babybels (on sale this cycle!) that aren't very crumbly, if you are looking for a transportable snacking cheese.  It is definitely a mild and not a sharp cheddar flavor. I do prefer the originals, which are a kind of Edam cheese, though they don't actually taste extremely different to me. 

At my Costco the Babybels aren't with the fancier wedge cheeses near the meat anymore, but with the large quantity shredded/string cheese in the yogurt/cold juice section.  The moved them when I was pregnant and dependent on Babybels as a low-carb snack, so was really upset that they might have stopped carrying them and super relieved when I found them again.

Wanted to mention that I always get the large jars of Better than Bullion @ Costco when they are available because they are a great deal.  I haven't seen the big block of yeast in a while, but am keeping an eye out. 

On 4/24/2019 at 2:06 PM, Sundae in the Park said:

Not big wedges but my Costco has the white cheddar Babybels (on sale this cycle!) that aren't very crumbly, if you are looking for a transportable snacking cheese.  It is definitely a mild and not a sharp cheddar flavor. I do prefer the originals, which are a kind of Edam cheese, though they don't actually taste extremely different to me. 

At my Costco the Babybels aren't with the fancier wedge cheeses near the meat anymore, but with the large quantity shredded/string cheese in the yogurt/cold juice section.  The moved them when I was pregnant and dependent on Babybels as a low-carb snack, so was really upset that they might have stopped carrying them and super relieved when I found them again.

Wanted to mention that I always get the large jars of Better than Bullion @ Costco when they are available because they are a great deal.  I haven't seen the big block of yeast in a while, but am keeping an eye out. 

I would say the Cabot white cheddar in the black wrapper is not too crumbly.   Good for a quick snack and grating for mexican dishes, etc.

They usually have one sliced cheddar option that is not crumbly and tolerably melty, though the shrink wrapped aged sharp cheddars tend to be much tastier.  Speaking of Mexican and cheese, the queso Blanco pan fries up great and is a great sub for haloumi at 1/3 the price.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mr food said:

I would say the Cabot white cheddar in the black wrapper is not too crumbly.   Good for a quick snack and grating for mexican dishes, etc.

You must have better luck than I do.  This has crumbled to pieces on me, every time I try to slice it, twice now.  There is one other cheddar I tried instead and it was also extremely crumbly when sliced.  I get that it is aged and a harder cheese, and maybe the big block contributes to the crumbly nature.   I have tried them both straight out of the fridge, or when more room temp either way no dice.