1 hour ago, Ericandblueboy said:

I think the dinners are Publican, Roister, Frontera, and Coco Pazzo (unless I switch to Spiaggia Cafe).

The only booked brunch is Ba ba Reeba ( so we can hit the zoo).  We will hit some food halls, including Revival.

There's so much to see and eat in Chicago!

Publican would probably be better with children (it's big and loud), but I preferred Band of Bohemia (see above, and I strongly recommend an al fresco North Pond brunch if the weather is nice).

I'm in the Second City now for a quick weekend which includes a matinee of Hamilton. Both Revival Food Hall and French Market food hall are delightful. Great spaces, lots of choices. Check hours because I don't think either opens on Sunday. Revival isn't open on Saturdays, either. 

• Like 2

On 5/12/2018 at 8:53 AM, dcandohio said:

I'm in the Second City now for a quick weekend which includes a matinee of Hamilton. Both Revival Food Hall and French Market food hall are delightful. Great spaces, lots of choices. Check hours because I don't think either opens on Sunday. Revival isn't open on Saturdays, either. 

Second the Revival Food Hall rec. Really enjoyed my trip there. Cool space, lots of options. Settled on Buldong Hot Chicken and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Also enjoyed the Cherry Circle Room in the CAA building/ hotel for dinner. Solid food and an interesting, well-chosen and fairly priced wine list. Chicago's one of those places I don't get to often, but always thoroughly enjoy.

• Like 1

On 5/11/2018 at 10:50 PM, Ericandblueboy said:

I think the dinners are Publican, Roister, Frontera, and Coco Pazzo (unless I switch to Spiaggia Cafe).

The only booked brunch is Ba ba Reeba ( so we can hit the zoo).  We will hit some food halls, including Revival.

If you need to decompress a bit, check out Pequod's for deep dish. You'll need an uber/taxi. We loved it.

• Like 2

Frontera Grill - good good, but not exciting.  And very rushed service.  I ordered the apps and then went to wash my hands.  The apps were at the table when I got back.  The place was packed for late Saturday afternoon (5:45 reservation).

Sunday morning we had brunch at Cafe Ba Ba Reeba, because they open early (9) and they're close to the Zoo.  The brunch menu worked for us, some sweets for the kids and lots of savory for me.

Sunday dinner was at Publican.  I was expecting Au Pied de Cochon of the midwest but the Publican wasn't that.   I tried the ham chop in "hay" which was featured in one of Zimmern's shows but it just tasted like ham.  I find their dishes overly complex - too many ingredients and too many flavors that don't mesh well.

Monday morning we Ubered to Chinatown for dim sum.  Minghin Cuisine has several locations with one near our hotel but the one in Chinatown opens early (8).  Unfortunately the dishes were uneven.  Both shrimp dumplings had a hint of fishiness.  Excellent siu mai - 5 to an order (unusual).  

Checked out both Forum 55 and Revival Food Hall.  Revival definitely had more interesting food (and served booze)  but I wasn't hungry after dim sum so the kids got a slice of "Detroit" style pizza from Union Squared.  It's actually a decent Sicilian pie.

Monday evening was Roister.  Their chicken liver parfait with hush puppies was fantastic.  Their pasta with clams (little neck and razor) was a bit too acidic.  The chicken 3 ways (salad, fried, and grilled) was very moist but I just didn't think it  was anything to swoon over.  I've yet to swoon over a chicken though.  

Tuesday evening was Coco Pazzo.  This is an excellent Italian joint - the kind of joint you'd find in Italy.  It's not at all interesting (but we just wanted the classics done right), but well executed with top notch service.  All the pasta were al dente as they should be.

Wednesday morning we stumbled upon Grandee Cuisine.  This place must be related to Minghin because they use  almost identical dim sum menus and they also serve 5 siu mais per order.  They were open at 9:30 and nothing else was....

• Like 1

On 5/12/2018 at 12:20 AM, DonRocks said:

Publican would probably be better with children (it's big and loud), but I preferred Band of Bohemia (see above, and I strongly recommend an al fresco North Pond brunch if the weather is nice).

I had an excellent dinner at Band of Bohemia last week. The service was impeccable and they were graceful in accommodating vegetarians (especially for a place featuring a foie gras dessert).  In fact, their off-menu tofu was phenomenal.  But the beer...wow.  They turn their beers toward unexpected directions, but in different ways.  The Jasmine Rice beer was on a completely different plane--it showcased crispness and devotion to quality ingredients one expects from the best Czech beers while the jasmine rice offered a dry, subtle, progressive approach toward a new direction.  Their "India" Pale Ale earns its moniker not from the popular style, but by taking a pale ale and playing with typical Indian spices like cardamom, coriander, etc.  Where the Jasmine Rice is subtle, the India Pale Ale is in-your-face, and yet they both succeed mightily.     

I took everything I learned from this thread and then ignored it when we went to Chicago.  We did a quick trip to see Wait Wait Don't Tell Me and to see Hamilton.  (Both Mr. BLB and BL-6th grader were ungrateful about the Hamilton tickets because they didn't think they needed to see it again.  Heathens...) 

We stayed at the Palmer House and I really loved the location.  We did one over priced breakfast in their dining room.  Definitely not worth it.  The bar was hopping every night and I had a lovely cocktail there the first night while trying to get work done while waiting for the others to fall asleep.

The best meal was at the Little Goat Diner.  We ubered over, over the protests of BL-6th grader, who then proceeded to love everything we ate.  Fat Elvis Waffles, Pork Belly Fries, Smoked Corned Beef Hash, sausage, bacon and blueberry pancakes.  We didn't come close to eating it all.  The cookies we ordered to go were lovely too. I should have bought more.

The Sienna Tavern was a nice lunch spot with good salmon and a charming carbonnara that is mixed in a jar in front of you.

The Grill Room across from the CIBC Theater had excellent steaks.  It wasn't cheap but it was a very good meal.

Our one failure was that no one was hungry before Wait Wait and we didn't get out of there until almost 11 pm.  Mr. BLB and BL-6th grader went to Vapiano's while I headed to the hotel for a burger at Potter's Bar.  

We really enjoyed Chicago (we did the Hancock Tower and the Art Institute) and would happily return for more exploring and more food at the Little Goat Diner.

• Like 1

Was in Chicago recently for the evening. A new standout for mew was Cruz Blanca, a newish Rick Bayless place with great tacos (shocker), and I really enjoyed the tlayudas, basically a large taco pizza(?). They also have a brewery in-house that put out some really good beer; I had the Freetown and Barleybomba, a Double IPA and a Barleywine.

We were back for 2 days last week while I had a work conference.  Mr. BLB and BL-6th grader explored Revival Food Hall.  BL-6th grader tried the Poke and loved it.  I went the next morning and got breakfast from the Hot Chocolate Bakery.  We did not try 55Forum.  It just didn't look as appealing.

I still really like Little Goat Diner.  The Grill Room was less successful this time but the leftovers made an excellent breakfast one morning. 

On 3/8/2017 at 3:59 PM, ad.mich said:

On the subject of Smoque, in the loop a new food hall called Revival opened a few months back and it's a godsend for us loop worker bees. That being said, it's one of the best loop options for lunch, period.  It's also a great chance for people staying downtown to try branches of some beloved northside spots all in one spot.  Smoque is there (and smoking on site at the same level of quality) along with institutions like Hot Chocolate, Antique Taco, and Danke (offshoot of Table, Donkey and Stick). Trend chasers will find Budlong doing Nashville hot (but even if you aren't into that it's got a strong argument for the best fried chicken in town right now), poke, and ramen... and there several other spots on top of that.  

It's basically like if Union Market had plopped itself on K street. 

On 5/11/2018 at 10:06 PM, ad.mich said:

For lunch I'd think about Revival Food Hall (it has an absolute murderer's row of food options, branches of some of my favorite spots in Chicago all executing well) or Tempesta, which makes some of the best salumi in the city and then stuffs their own sandwiches full with it. I haven't had a bad thing there yet.   

On 5/11/2018 at 10:50 PM, Ericandblueboy said:

We will hit some food halls, including Revival.

On 5/15/2018 at 8:46 PM, Keithstg said:

Second the Revival Food Hall rec. Really enjoyed my trip there. Cool space, lots of options. Settled on Buldong Hot Chicken and thoroughly enjoyed it.

On 5/12/2018 at 8:53 AM, dcandohio said:

On 7/4/2018 at 9:21 PM, Ericandblueboy said:

Checked out both Forum 55 and Revival Food Hall.  Revival definitely had more interesting food (and served booze)  but I wasn't hungry after dim sum so the kids got a slice of "Detroit" style pizza from Union Squared.  It's actually a decent Sicilian pie.

2 hours ago, bookluvingbabe said:

We were back for 2 days last week while I had a work conference.  Mr. BLB and BL-6th grader explored Revival Food Hall.  BL-6th grader tried the Poke and loved it.  I went the next morning and got breakfast from the Hot Chocolate Bakery.  We did not try 55Forum.  It just didn't look as appealing.

[Sorry - this is the origin of what will be the Revival Food Hall thread - don't have time to finish it right now :(]