Downtown Baltimore Farmers' Market

Good experience at the Baltimore Farmer's Market last Sunday. The hilite was the pit beef guy selling sandwiches with your choice of rare through burnt ends for less than $5. A combo of beef and very good sausage was $7 and well worth it, though served on plain white bread.

There were two Mexican (I think) guys selling fresh fried little donuts for a dollar a bag (5-7 in a bag, though the sign said 5) or $5 for a big box. Excellent, fresh and hot, with powdered sugar or honey for condiments.

Many fruit/vegetable vendors, and the prices were reasonable. There was a stand selling omelets using eggs from the lady selling aggs and taking orders for chickens 2 weeks ahead.

I don't think the market is as big as other ones, but the quality seemed high, and it was worth it just for the beef/sausage sandwich and the donuts.

Under the JFX (Rt 83 S) at Fayette St. Opens at 8:00, but the pit beef guy starts at 6:00.

Thanks,

Kevin

The Baltimore farmers' market definitely rivals all the markets in DC. It runs probably more than two blocks on both sides. Not everything is organic, but everything seems to be fresh and local. I noticed the hard to find yellow watermelon. Mushrooms, baked goods and cheese. There are also a number of what look to be awesome food vendors. Buckboard bacon, slab bacon and Mexican chorizo at one place. Crepe stand. Hardwood charcoal smoked beef and sausages.

I bought some amazing sweet corn that was awesome as a raw sample from the vendor. I'll have to see how my green peppers were, which were 3 for $1.

My favorite thing today was Miguel's Mini Donuts. 5 mini donuts for $1, a dozen for $2... sprinkle on your own powdered sugar, regular sugar, cinnamon sugar, sprinkles or squeeze on chocolate sauce. Crisp on the edges, hot, and tasty. They are basically the same as the ones at Pike's Market in Seattle, but better since you do your own topping and things move so quick that they're always hot and fresh. Make sure that if you get 5 donuts to get them in a smaller bag *edit: I meant bigger bag ** so you can shake the toppings up or slip the dozen into two big bags.

Avoid the strawberry lemonade, which has strawberry that tastes kinda like Kool-Aid.

I'm with you on this farmer's market, synaesthesia. I LOVE it. I think it rivals most DC area markets in terms of offerings, they've got some really great prepared food to buy (weird but good mushroom sandwiches that require a ridiculous wait but are so worth it) and I just think the overall 'vibe' is better than the better DC area markets.

A friend of mine runs the Baltimore Dog Biscuit company and has had a tailgate at the market for years. I love this market! The bacon guy is from Vienna. The nice thing is the overhang from I83 somewhat deflects rain making the market accessible in foul weather.

Scott

The Baltimore farmers' market definitely rivals all the markets in DC. It runs probably more than two blocks on both sides. Not everything is organic, but everything seems to be fresh and local. I noticed the hard to find yellow watermelon. Mushrooms, baked goods and cheese. There are also a number of what look to be awesome food vendors. Buckboard bacon, slab bacon and Mexican chorizo at one place. Crepe stand. Hardwood charcoal smoked beef and sausages.

I bought some amazing sweet corn that was awesome as a raw sample from the vendor. I'll have to see how my green peppers were, which were 3 for $1.

My favorite thing today was Miguel's Mini Donuts. 5 mini donuts for $1, a dozen for $2... sprinkle on your own powdered sugar, regular sugar, cinnamon sugar, sprinkles or squeeze on chocolate sauce. Crisp on the edges, hot, and tasty. They are basically the same as the ones at Pike's Market in Seattle, but better since you do your own topping and things move so quick that they're always hot and fresh. Make sure that if you get 5 donuts to get them in a smaller bag so you can shake the toppings up or slip the dozen into two big bags.

Avoid the strawberry lemonade, which has strawberry that tastes kinda like Kool-Aid.

I've had more than one farmer tell me that the Baltimore market is substantially cheaper than DC, because Baltimorians won't pay as much as Washingtonians will.

It's not just because they won't pay, it's because Baltimoreans are on average poorer than their DC counterparts. I found that some of the prices are cheaper than Baltimore supermarkets, which seems to encourage a much more diverse crowd. It really allows for fresh, local produce to be affordable and open to those who are less well-off. I find that the DC ones tend to be priced in a way that is very elitist. It's a point that Phyllis Richman made during the Russ Parsons book talk. I would also point out that a number of stands took food stamps, something that I don't believe I have seen here. Sorry. I am probably off-topic.

Haha yes the farmer's market one looks pretty alluring, but Dmnkly I'm gonna save you 45 minutes of waiting in line - kinda sucky. I have absolutely no idea why the line is so long all the time. I've even asked people randomly why they think the line is so long. Shrugs. I've concluded it's one of those crowd/herd behavior things. The beef is actually not that bad, but not worth the wait, and the sausage is just plain bad. Damn I'm just a hatin' fool today, sorry for all the negativity.