Bonchon Chicken, KFC (Korean Fried Chicken) in Numerous Suburban Locations

I guess I will see if the Rockville location is any easier to get in for a similar to go order.

You'll run in to the same Town Center parking situation in Rockville too. Though you could find a street spot depending on when you stop by.

You'll run in to the same Town Center parking situation in Rockville too. Though you could find a street spot depending on when you stop by.

Except the Rockville garages are NEVER full, it's just a few steps from garage C and a validation from any store gets you the first 2 hours free.

On 7/5/2007 at 10:24 PM, cha_charoni said:

I read the NY Times article that I'll link below a couple of months ago and was curious to see how Bon Chon chicken tasted like and to my surprise a Bon Chicken store opened up inside the new Lotte Plaza Int'l supermarket in Germantown. I looked around their website and it looks a new one is also opening up in Annandale [this link has the new location] on 7/15. Anyhow, if you happened to be up in Germantown, I highly recommend you try this korean-style fried chicken. It has a very light flaky skin and juicy meat that tastes wonderful. They have two flavors, soy garlic and a spicy variation. Both my wife and I were partially to the spicy one. The pieces of chicken are available in drumsticks or wings and come with a radish side dish that some korean restaurants serve as a pan-chan.

Feb 7, 2007 - "Koreans Share Their Secret for Chicken with a Crunch" by Julia Moskin on nytimes.com

I just found this post in another thread, and I wonder if it's the first post ever made about a Bonchon in the DC area (probably not, but maybe).

Good job, cha_charoni!

On 11/2/2016 at 3:26 PM, goldenticket said:

Looks like Bon Chon is "coming soon" to Alexandria. No specific address is given, but the closest currently empty spot near the King St and Washington St intersection is the former home of Yogi Castle. There's quite a little restaurant boom happening in the block or two east and west of that intersection.

Maybe Alexandria, but perhaps not Old Town: update from the Patch.

Since we recently got a Bon Chon in South Riding, allow me to chime in. The chicken is fantastic. My preference is the wings with soy garlic sauce. The boneless strips are boring, the drumsticks are too drumsticky (dark meat fans will likely enjoy them). I'm a spicy food fan, but I prefer the soy garlic to the chili sauce. You get pickled daikon with your entree.

Also, the rest of the menu is definitely worth exploring -- pork buns, jap chae, lots of other good stuff.

Also, they warn you the chicken might take up to 35 minutes to come out since it's twice fried and made to order, but we've never had to wait that long for our food to arrive.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Bob Wells said:

Since we recently got a Bon Chon in South Riding, allow me to chime in. The chicken is fantastic. My preference is the wings with soy garlic sauce. The boneless strips are boring, the drumsticks are too drumsticky (dark meat fans will likely enjoy them). I'm a spicy food fan, but I prefer the soy garlic to the chili sauce. You get pickled daikon with your entree.

Also, the rest of the menu is definitely worth exploring -- pork buns, jap chae, lots of other good stuff.

I've only been to Bon Chon a couple of times, but I completely agree.  While I love chicken legs prepared in just about any way, I also prefer the wings to the legs here.  There's too much meat to skin ratio to truly enjoy the extra, extra crispy skin.  The wings give you skin and meat in every bite while, the legs generally give you a couple big hunks of skin and then a lot of plain (skinless) meat.

I also love spicy food but found the garlic soy coating better too. 

• Like 2

Ventured to the Herndon location yesterday as they came highly recommended by a good friend.  Ordered the 1/2 Spicy and 1/2 Soy Garlic - the Soy Garlic were excellent.  Wings were meaty, perfectly cooked and filling.  The Spicy, and I like spicy food will sneak up on you.  They are hot, after consuming a few of them, the true spice hits you, almost like a delayed, but escalating heat...I enjoyed them, but with tears running down my face. 

Having been to many of the Bon Chons,  very regularly, The Frederick location was terrible. The people who worked there gave very nice , friendly  and efficient service, but the wings themselves always had me wondering how they were allowed to maintain themselves as a part of the franchise. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jeff Heineman said:

Having been to many of the Bon Chons,  very regularly, The Frederick location was terrible. The people who worked there gave very nice , friendly  and efficient service, but the wings themselves always had me wondering how they were allowed to maintain themselves as a part of the franchise. 

Great to see you back.  Hope the surgery went well.

3 hours ago, Jeff Heineman said:

Which locations are most reliable, Jeff?

12 hours ago, Marty L. said:

Which locations are most reliable, Jeff?

I second the location in Frederick. I went there once, and it was good with the hopes that it would be up to par when I brought my family. Needless to say my family and I will not be returning to the Frederick location any time soon, if ever. The kimchee was awful, and everything tasted old. I have been to locations in Koreatown  in Manhattan, and it was incredible. 

Oops, I guess that revisit will not happen ever. Edited after seeing the post that mentions that the location in Frederick has been closed.

Used to be the BonChon in Annandale was money, but I last time I went it was Chi MC or something. Rockville definitely seems to have is=ts good and great days, but I like them usually. Ellicott City is always good and was a deal when you could bring your own beer because they didn't have a license. But those days are gone since they sell beer now. Germantown does a very good consistent job, thankfully nothing in common with that awful Frederick site. 5th Ave in NYC rocks (And BOKA  on St Mark's Place is a great substitute.

• Like 1

On 6/16/2018 at 9:44 AM, Jeff Heineman said:

Used to be the BonChon in Annandale was money, but I last time I went it was Chi MC or something. Rockville definitely seems to have is=ts good and great days, but I like them usually. Ellicott City is always good and was a deal when you could bring your own beer because they didn't have a license. But those days are gone since they sell beer now. Germantown does a very good consistent job, thankfully nothing in common with that awful Frederick site. 5th Ave in NYC rocks (And BOKA  on St Mark's Place is a great substitute.

the Annandale location has moved to the Giant shopping center on Little River Turnpike about a mile west of where the Chi MC is now.  It's been probably a year or more since I've had the chicken.  I thought it was good, but I was always a bit skeeved out by how sticky the floors were and how sour the bar area smelled.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Ferris Bueller said:

BONCHON CHICKEN IN LEESBURG MYSTERIOUSLY CLOSES by Chris Wadsworth, TheBurn

The Bonchon Chicken restaurant at the Village at Leesburg has closed down under mysterious circumstances. A sign on the door reads “SORRY FOR THE INCONVENIENCE. CLOSED DUE TO UNFORESEEN CIRCUMSTANCES.”

I'm not surprised. Of all the locations I've been to, this one is by far the worst.

Last week I had practice wings prior to Sunday,  then home made SuperBowl wings on Sunday ;  and today our office ordered from the Arlington BonChon.   Hmm.  BonChon.  Delish.  We order from the Arlington store.  Spicy, moist.  Fries are also good.  I don't know why I mess around with making them myself when BonChon is so good.

• Like 3