Volunteering and Philanthropy

legant

We need to teach kids how to cook in schools with kitchens, starting at a very early age.

And we need to get them into homes that have kitchens, and make sure those homes are in neighborhoods that have a grocery store. And once they're there, make sure they have food. So many places to focus energy.

Attached is a file of volunteer opportunities DR.com members might be interested in participating during this holiday season.

Two organizations, Dinner for the Homeless and Needy (Thursday, 11/22/07) and DC Central Kitchen (Tuesday, 11/27/07; Friday, 12/7/07; Wednesday, 12/12/07; Friday, 12/14/07; Week of 12/12- 21; Monday, 12/24/07; Wednesday, 12/26/07) have specific volunteer needs for November and/or December.

I'm still waiting to hear from Dinner Program for Homeless Women, Loaves and Fishes (St. Stephen and the Incarnation Church), and Food & Friends to determine if they have specific needs/opportunities for November and/or December.

The remaining programs have an ongoing need for volunteers. If there is an interest in forming a DR.com group to participate on a regular basis (e.g., 4 hours, once a month, for six months) please post here.

ETA: Okay; it looks like the file didn't attach. Will remedy/correct this later today.

DRcom_Holiday_Volun.pdf

DR.com Volunteer Activity

DC Central Kitchen

Monday, December 24, 2007

9:00 to Noon

LOVE TO COOK? In a 10,000 square foot professional kitchen? Then come play chef at the DC Central Kitchen (DCCK), and help fight hunger in the Washington DC area. DR.com members and friends will help cook, working alongside chefs who are graduates of DCCK's job training program. No previous experience is required -- just an interest in cooking!

More information about DCCK.

I have reserved space for five; the numbers can be adjusted. All members of the DR.com community – registered users, friends, or those simply interested in DR.com – are invited to participate. If you are interested in volunteering for this specific opportunity, please RSVP (so I can adjust the numbers), by PM or post, NLT December 10.

The remaining programs have an ongoing need for volunteers. If there is an interest in forming a DR.com group to participate on a regular basis (e.g., 4 hours, once a month, for six months) please post here.
Thanks for gathering this info legant! I would be interested in a regular volunteer commitment, if there are enough others to make it happen. I don't know if I'll be here on Dec. 24, but if there is another opportunity to do something for one of the organizations you've listed (or other similar ones) in the week or two before that, I'd be happy to participate.

Thanks for gathering this info legant! I would be interested in a regular volunteer commitment, if there are enough others to make it happen. I don't know if I'll be here on Dec. 24, but if there is another opportunity to do something for one of the organizations you've listed (or other similar ones) in the week or two before that, I'd be happy to participate.
Just an update: So far I have two takers (brettashley +1) for December 24 at DCCK; anyone else interested?

I have heard from several folks that they would like to participate in some sort of group volunteer activity, but the holiday season is bad timing. I'll investigate future opportunities at DCCK and Program for Homeless Women and post here.

Just an update: So far I have two takers (brettashley +1) for December 24 at DCCK; anyone else interested?

I have heard from several folks that they would like to participate in some sort of group volunteer activity, but the holiday season is bad timing. I'll investigate future opportunities at DCCK and Program for Homeless Women and post here.

Count me in. PM me whatever details you have

Count me in.

I'd be interested in hearing about events postholidays. Tripewriter used to volunteer regularly at Miriam's Kitchen before he started working in Bethesda, and I know he misses it.

This is one of those days that normally I would be working, and fortunately I am OFF for xmas eve and day!! But this leaves me in a dilemma, and one I'd rather spend with others celebrating the holiday spirit than at home. I only just realized this event, but would love to be a part of it. Please count me in, if spaces and timing still permit me to join in on the festivities. I definitely have an interest in the culinary arts, but no back-of-the house experience. Cheers and happy holidaze!! :(

DR.com Volunteer Activity

DC Central Kitchen

Monday, December 24, 2007

9:00 to Noon

Participating:

legant

SrtaJRosa

BrettAshley01 + 1

DirtyMartini

Kitkatpaddywak

Marcus Aurelius

Volunteering Guidelines:

To work in the kitchen volunteers must wear:

* long pants

* closed-toed shoes

* shirts with sleeves (short sleeves are okay, tank tops are not)

* a hat or other head covering (hairnets are provided)

* midriff shirts are not allowed

A 9:00 a.m. orientation is given for morning meal preparation volunteers. Please arrive by 8:45 a.m. so that we may begin on time.

Morning volunteers are welcome to join us for lunch at 12:00 pm

Locker space is limited; please try to travel light. DC Central Kitchen is not responsible for the loss of personal property.

DC Central Kitchen is located on the ground floor of the Federal City Shelter at 425 Second Street NW. The Federal City Shelter is a three story gray building on the southeast corner of Second and E Streets NW. Please note that the Central Kitchen cannot be entered from Second Street. The entrance to the Central Kitchen is at the back of this building, down the service road off of E Street NW and is marked by a large sign. It looks like a service/delivery entrance.

Getting there:

Parking is not available at DC Central Kitchen although there is metered street parking and several lots nearby. Visit DCCK's web site for a description of parking options and driving directions.

Metrorail: Judiciary Square: Take the Red Line to the Judiciary Square stop. Exit onto Fourth Street NW, and turn around at the top of the escalator. Walk to E Street NW and take a right onto it. Stay on E Street, crossing 3rd St. and 2nd St. Turn right onto the service road, just behind the building. Union Station: Take the Red Line to Union Station. As you exit the metro stop, take a right and proceed downhill toward Massachusetts Ave. Turn Left at the corner of North Capitol St. and Massachusetts Ave. Walk 1 block and turn right onto E St. NW. Walk 2 1/2 blocks west toward 2nd Street NW. Turn left onto the service road off of E St NW between 1st St. NW and 2nd St. NW.

Dear DR Members:

I am serving on the Fund Raising Committee for Greater DC Cares 2008 Servathon, where on Saturday, May 3, 2008, more than 3000 volunteers will simultaneously engage in direct service projects at DC Public School.

Currently, we are seeing in-kind donations of gift cards from restaurants in the DC Metro Area, to act as fund raising incentives for our volunteers. All donations are fully tax deductible at their face value. For more information on how to become a sponsor, please contact me directly.

Best wishes,

Trish Calamari

Fund Raising Committee Member

Greater DC Cares-2008 Servathon

http://www.dc-cares.org/

On Dec. 24, at the frost bitten hour of 8:45am, legant, SrtaJRosa, DirtyMartini, my brother and I gathered at the D.C. Central Kitchen to help prepare meals for the less fortunate. legant prepared pizza for the volunteer lunch (which I'm sure was delicious) while the rest of us slaved *haha* away, laying out pans of frozen catfish and fried chicken, and then taking said catfish and chicken and packaging it for delivery.

I was mighty jealous of my brother and the others when they got to tear apart turkey carcasses while I attempted- and failed- my assigned task of slicing a cake. (I may look dainty but I can't slice a straight line to save my life. Give me flesh ripping any day!)

It was a fun time, and something I'd definitely do again. I encourage everyone to give it a try! It was a great way to meet and chat with fellow Rockwellians, and the DCCK has a great mission. Thanks to legant for putting it together!

A belated thank you to BrettAshley01, Jeremy, DirtyMartini, and SrtaJRosa for volunteering with me at DC Central Kitchen on Christmas eve.

[brettAshley forgot to mention just how much catfish and chicken. By my estimates, they separated, seasoned and cooked 40 trays of fish and chicken; sliced 20 turkeys; and, portioned out about 50 containers of meals. Me? I sliced a log of cheese the size of a Redwood.]

After our shift, DirtyMartini, SrtaJRosa, and I joined other volunteers and DCCK culinary trainees for lunch; several of my pizzas were served. Comet and 2 Amy’s have nothing to worry about. But, being part of such a team… well, that was the perfect topping.

Thanks again.

Several people have asked me to investigate group volunteer activities for DR.com members. DC Central Kitchen has two new volunteer programs, both focused on locally farmed fresh produce, that might be of interest.

Glean: DCCK, through a partnership with the Mid-Atlantic Gleaning Network, gleans surplus crops to incorporate into the 4,500 meals made daily. “Volunteer groups should have at least four people and must have their own transportation to get to designated gleaning sites in nearby Maryland or Virginia. “

Produce Prep: If getting your hands in the dirt doesn’t appeal to you, then why not help prepare the gleaned produce. Shifts begin at 5:00 PM; slots are available for 6/12, 6/13, and 7/7.

If you’re interested in either or both, post or PM and I’ll follow up.

Louise

Early Sunday morning, and it was already near 95 degrees, I ventured to DC Central Kitchen for a 2nd volunteer experience. goldenticket and I, clearly the newbies to the group, were paired up to chop potatoes and mix them in a huge container with spices and oils. We then placed them on baking sheets and moved on to cutting onions. Well, my sensitive baby blues couldn't hack it, and my eyes started tearing up pretty fast. I was out for the remainder of the first half.

I then was transferred to another station where we did a dance of opening cans of vegetarian baked beans and melding all of them into large tubs. The group succeeded in opening 250 lbs. of beans!

More than anything was how much I enjoyed hearing the executive chef speak so highly of an organization that provides such a valuable service to the community.

Many thanks to legant for setting up this opportunity. I enjoyed our reunion and also meeting a new friend, goldenticket.

Another hot and muggy Sunday morning at DCCK this past weekend. And I thought summer was over! Met up with goldenticket and legant to volunteer, and this time I sliced zucchini and helped with making salads. We had a little assembly line going, and I placed juicy tomato and shaved carrot to finish after being handed salads dressed up with shredded iceberg, sliced onion, and cucumber wheels. Packed 'em up, and they were ready to go. So was I, and we trekked to Teaism for a lite brunch. Looking forward to the next time! Anyone from the board who'd like to join us, it's a great experience and a memorable time meeting other members. :lol:

A dear friend is headed to Gonaives right now as part of NBC news coverage of the devastation wrought by the recent hurricanes, and his trip got me thinking...is there any interest in the membership in raising funds to assist those in need in Haiti? Agriculture has been devastated and hunger is rampant. There are several organizations there now trying to provide relief but funds are still urgently needed.

We are in indirectly. My SO has been on the board of the Community Coalition for Haiti for years (website here). The portraits you see on the site are his. CCH has scrapped all trips planned for this year and they are sending the money that would have been used for travel as it will do more good toward feeding people and getting them the medications to fight waterborne illnesses. They work mainly in Pignon.

We are in indirectly. My SO has been on the board of the Community Coalition for Haiti for years (website here). The portraits you see on the site are his. CCH has scrapped all trips planned for this year and they are sending the money that would have been used for travel as it will do more good toward feeding people and getting them the medications to fight waterborne illnesses. They work mainly in Pignon.
They are doing great work. Here's a rundown of what other gov orgs are doing there.

They are doing great work. Here's a rundown of what other gov orgs are doing there.

USAID has a rundown of what we're doing in Haiti and details of the current situation. Nearly $30 million of US tax dollars have been spent on the Atlantic international hurricane response so far in FY08. There's also a general Guide to Effective Giving that gives tips on how to decide who to contribute to.

*bump*

Does anyone have links or info handy on what DCCK's needs are for next week? I end up thinking about this too late at night to act on it, and haven't had time during the daytime to call or look up info.

It's a difficult time for many people these days.

From their website:

"This Year, Give a "Virtual Turkey"

Every year, DC Central Kitchen supporters respond to the Thanksgiving Holiday by donating hundreds of frozen Turkeys to help us meet the need on Thanksgiving Day. Each year, we are faced with the challenge of limited freezer space and the need for other foods and side dishes. The best way for us to get the product we need during the holiday season is for friends to donate a "Virtual Turkey." This year, please help out by donating virtual thanksgiving meals online, so that we can have the ingredients delivered by food distributors when and where we need it."

So, your answer is "cash".

As far as volunteering, all of the shifts except one are completely full next week. There are 2 spots remaining in "meal prep", Friday morning after T-day from 9a-12n.