To Whom Are You Drinking Right Now?

starfish

To my friends in Cairo. I have no way to reach you, but I am thinking and hoping for the best for you and yours.

Keep trying. Cell phone service seems to be back, and we were able to reach folks there today (who are doing, thankfully, just fine). That said, I'm raising a glass to them tonight as well.

We were about to get through to my friend yesterday and talk for about 10-15 minutes. Never thought I would raise a glass to his courage to leave the safety of Israel to travel back to school in Cairo.

And to the parents and friends of those who are in Egypt. The waiting between each phone call can take forever.

And of course to those who are there fighting for their rights.

To my dear friend's mother who just passed a few days ago.

The first wine to make a "wow" impression on me was an Alsatian Gewurztraminer that she served us in her sister's home in Zellenberg. Tonight we opened a Trimbach Gewurztraminer "Cuvee Des Seigneurs De Ribeaupierre" in her memory.

To the Good Samaritans of Old Town, who:

1) Observed the hit-and-run this evening

2) Had the presence of mind to note the car

3) Stood out in the cold rain and talked with me

4) Went home and called the police for me

And to the kindly officer, who:

1) Took the time to fill out a report

2) Gave me solid, practical advice

And to the driver of an older-model red sedan, possibly a 1960's-era Chevy, with probable partial plate numbers, 36161, who fled Northbound through the intersection of S. Patrick Street and King Street in Old Town Alexandria at around 6 PM tonight, after sideswiping my car right in front of Misha's coffee roasters ...

SAY HI NEXT TIME!

To the Good Samaritans of Old Town, who:

1) Observed the hit-and-run this evening

2) Had the presence of mind to note the car

3) Stood out in the cold rain and talked with me

4) Went home and called the police for me

And to the kindly officer, who:

1) Took the time to fill out a report

2) Gave me solid, practical advice

And to the driver of an older-model red sedan, possibly a 1960's-era Chevy, with probable partial plate numbers, 36161, who fled Northbound through the intersection of S. Patrick Street and King Street in Old Town Alexandria at around 6 PM tonight, after sideswiping my car right in front of Misha's coffee roasters ...

SAY HI NEXT TIME!

Then let me raise a glass to the wonderful family that stopped and helped me out when I was rear-ended on the Beltway three years ago.....like you, it was a hit and run and it was definitely a case of a big guy picking on my little Miata. It was January and it was cold and rainy. The family had come to DC from Tennessee to spend time with their daughter--who was also in the car--who was at Walter Reed, recovering from her IED-inflicted wounds. I was hit pretty hard and was probably in shock, but these kind people helped me call the police, managed to get the license plate of the offender, helped fill in the details for the accident report, and stayed until they knew I would be fine and on my way. When I finally calmed down enough to reflect on what had happened, their kindness literally brought tears. There really are good people in this world.

To the Libyans. Don't let the door hit you in the ass, Moammar.

And to Gunnar Heinsohn, recent events proving that his theories on "Youth Bulge" apply (correctly) to something other than the adolescent priapism that I endured well into my thirties. Not to mention his refreshingly sensible explanations of (non-Ishmaelite) anti-semitism as being rooted in the Jew's doing away with sacrifice as part of doing away with killing in general on principle.

To Japan, especially the wonderful people of the Tohoku (northeast) region. Minna-san, ganbatte ne!

I'm currently stranded in Bangkok due to a cancelled flight home that was to transit through Tokyo yesterday. And while I'm drinking, as always, to my extraordinary aid colleagues who are scrambling to assist the Japanese people, I'm mostly thinking that there but for the grace of god go I, as my folks say. We can live in Japan, among the most advanced societies in the world, or we can live in Haiti, among the least. But we are still vulnerable to forces greater than ourselves, no matter how well we plan. I'm thinking of those we have loved and lost, and those we have loved and found. I am hoping for some comfort for all.

A toast to Miss Eula Leigh Brown, my Aunt, who died at age 103 and was buried yesterday in Georgia. As she was in life, so she was in death--better-looking and more impeccably dressed than all the folks at her service and adored by everybody who knew her.