To Whom Are You Drinking Right Now?

starfish

To my dad, who would have been 93 today. He has been gone for just over and a year and a half, and I miss him terribly and think of him often. I was extremely lucky to have been raised by him. He was a St. Louis sports fan all of his life. I hope the Blues pull out a win for him tonight. Love you, Dad. Cheers.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DIShGo said:

To my dad, who would have been 93 today. He has been gone for just over and a year and a half, and I miss him terribly and think of him often. I was extremely lucky to have been raised by him. He was a St. Louis sports fan all of his life. I hope the Blues pull out a win for him tonight. Love you, Dad. Cheers.

Your father was a great man, and I'm honored to have had a chance to connect with him.

• Like 1

To my Dad, who left his earthly body today, on Father’s Day, at age 91. He was brought to this country as a very young child as an immigrant.  His parents died when he was very young, and he was shuttled from foster homes that went from bad to worse, until he escaped to live on his own as a teenager, and then joined the Navy.  He earned a masters degree and was a gifted teacher. He had an amazing head for numbers.  He adored my mother, he doted on his children, and he was an engaged grandfather.  My dad liked good food, red wine, and a martini with Tomolives.  He had a big personality, and a zest for life.  I am comforted knowing that when he arrives on the other side, Leah Chase will be cooking a meal for him, and Dr. John will be playing music.  Tonight I will raise a glass of red wine to Leonard. 💔

• Like 8

9 hours ago, dcandohio said:

To my Dad, who left his earthly body today, on Father’s Day, at age 91. He was brought to this country as a very young child as an immigrant.  His parents died when he was very young, and he was shuttled from foster homes that went from bad to worse, until he escaped to live on his own as a teenager, and then joined the Navy.  He earned a masters degree and was a gifted teacher. He had an amazing head for numbers.  He adored my mother, he doted on his children, and he was an engaged grandfather.  My dad liked good food, red wine, and a martini with Tomolives.  He had a big personality, and a zest for life.  I am comforted knowing that when he arrives on the other side, Leah Chase will be cooking a meal for him, and Dr. John will be playing music.  Tonight I will raise a glass of red wine to Leonard. 💔

Sounds like you were blessed with a very wonderful father. My condolences on your loss. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, dcandohio said:

An absolutely beautiful tribute.  My condolences.  Very well written and it sounds like a full life.

My dad passed away 20+ years ago, my mom a little over 6 months ago.  They inhabit some of my thinking virtually every day;  my dad for over 20 years now.  Its really amazing.

• Like 1

An old friend of mine, whom I grew up with and knew from Jr High on, Larry Burdett, passed away either on the evening of June 19 or in the early morning hours of June 20; June 20 being his birthday.  The explosion of grief among family and friends is enormous.  Larry was the nicest most sincere fellow, moved back to our home town after college and lived there his entire life.  He passed away at the house his grandfather built in the 1930's; a house he grew up in.  Like his father he was a member of the local volunteer fire department and grew to become chief, serving 3 times in total (a position that rotates every year). 

We grew friendlier in the last few years.  Larry was a prolific FB user, and a prolific friend of many combining the two gave him over 750 FB friends.  On that basis the grief is enormous.  Due to FB we grew friendlier, he being an original member of groups associated with our home town, me having joined later on.

Larry opined on a variety of topics including politics where our perspectives were pretty similar.  His political posts were unique in that his friends from all political persuasions joined in.  For those that join in political arguments on the web it was completely unique.  I used to ask him if it was okay to rant--he approved.  He started asking me about people we grew up with, ones whose perspectives were on the opposite of ours.  We grew friendlier.   I saw him last Autumn.  It was a real pleasure--we were the essence of old friends, even as we hadn't been close in school. 

He is receiving an amazing outpouring of web love.  For a very "common man" he was remarkably loved.

See ya Larry.  Enjoy your bourbon and watching U of Kentucky up in heaven with your folks and other departed friends.  Hopefully there is a fire department there and you and your dad can ride the trucks to help out victims. 

• Like 4

My goddaughter's rescue puppy Sally Doggo. She was found on the side of the road left for dead, lost her left foreleg, just had the first of two surgeries to fix her 'good' shoulder and today ate everything in sight! Last surgery for now is next Wednesday.

Sally for Sally Bowles. My god daughter is into musical theater. Her other rescue pup is Funny Girl. 

• Like 1

Joe Englert has passed. 

A partial list of bars and restaurants he was involved in includes: 

The Argonaut, The Palace of Wonders, The Rock and Roll Hotel, The Red and the Black, The Pug, Granville Moore's, Sticky Rice, The H Street Country Club, Big Hunt, Lucky Bar, DC9, Trusty's Full-Serve Bar, the Capitol Lounge, Pour House, the Insect Club, Politiki, McClellan's Retreat, State of the Union, Truxton Hill, Toledo Lounge, Andalusian Dog, Carmela Kitty’s, Nero’s, Pennsylvania Avenue Pourhouse, Club Random, and there's probably more. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tweaked said:

Joe Englert has passed. 

The Argonaut, The Palace of Wonders, The Rock and Roll Hotel, The Red and the Black, The Pug, Granville Moore's, Sticky Rice, The H Street Country Club, Big Hunt, Lucky Bar, DC9, Trusty's Full-Serve Bar, the Capitol Lounge, Pour House, the Insect Club, Politiki, McClellan's Retreat, State of the Union, Truxton Hill, Toledo Lounge, Andalusian Dog, Carmela Kitty’s, Nero’s, Pennsylvania Avenue Pourhouse, Club Random, and there's probably more. 

wow. Sad news. Joe was a legend and among the first, if not the first, to see H Street NE's potential.

7 hours ago, Tweaked said:

Joe Englert has passed. 

This Washingtonian piece just came out, and I thought one of the most interesting bits was that he was not a partner in The Pug, and neither Tony nor he ever corrected people on that. That seemed to sum things up somehow. He got such an incredible number of places started.

• Like 1

On 8/21/2020 at 9:24 AM, Tweaked said:

Joe Englert has passed. 

Good lord. 

He and I overlapped in Mt Pleasant in the 80s. We ran into each other in the strangest ways over the years, and would look at each other, go "I know you. How?" Then chat. Then it would be years again.

• Like 2

To my mom, aged 89, a resilient and resourceful woman who passed unexpectedly but peacefully in her sleep on Saturday. She recycled and re-purposed before it was cool, she was a voracious reader, a gifted seamstress, and she loved a dirty joke. 

My mom and dad‘s liquor cabinet had become pretty depleted over the years as they got older and more sick, but there was a giant bottle of crown royal, some shitty sweet vermouth, and an ancient bottle of Peychaud bitters. I’m having a Manhattan in a New Orleans Saints glass that is probably 40 years old. Fly free, mom. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 5

5 minutes ago, dcandohio said:

To my mom, aged 89, a resilient and resourceful woman who passed unexpectedly but peacefully in her sleep on Saturday. She recycled and re-purposed before it was cool, she was a voracious reader, a gifted seamstress, and she loved a dirty joke. 

My mom and dad‘s liquor cabinet had become pretty depleted over the years as they got older and more sick, but there was a giant bottle of crown royal, some shitty sweet vermouth, and an ancient bottle of Peychaud bitters. I’m having a Manhattan in a New Orleans Saints glass that is probably 40 years old. Fly free, mom. 

That's a beautiful tribute. Very sorry for your loss. 

• Like 4

After failing to find a Chick & Ruth’s thread, I’ll leave this here. I hope this iconic Annapolis “delly” makes it through the double challenges of the pandemic and possibly unrelated death of its current owner. I admire Keith Jones’ career progression. 

The next time I recite the Pledge of Allegiance, I’ll remember my past breakfasts there.
https://www.capitalgazette.com/maryland/annapolis/ac-cn-keith-jones-chick-ruths-20210204-20210205-tf43su7bzfdpvi7c34wizy6uz4-story.html

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, dcs said:

Lawrence Ferlinghetti, literary citadel of San Francisco, dies at 101, by Emma Brown, February 23, 2021, on washingtonpost.com.  Pivotal figure in the Beat movement and subsequent countercultural 1960s San Francisco.  Heavy dude.

I was taking a walk after lunch when he popped into my head. I was trying to remember if he was 100 or 101. I was pretty sure he was born in '19 but couldn't recall. I knew he had hit 100, though. It was odd that I just started thinking about him for no apparent reason. Then I got back home and saw on twitter that he died yesterday. So weird.

6 hours ago, Tweaked said:

Ron Popeil, influential TV direct market salesman...would the infomercial be the same without him?  But wait, there's more:  NY Times Obit 

Many a hungover college weekend was spent blankly watching Ron...set it and forget it.

"Wrist Strap Optional Extra" - the wrist strap is 1/10 of 1% of the production cost of this thing, but who dares risk throwing their pocket fisherman in the water by mistake?

To Don Rocks, whose 61st trip around the sun began early this morning watching shooting stars from a balcony with me. My shooting star—the sweetest man I know—deserves nothing less than a meteor shower in his honor! Cheers to you and our year ahead! 

• Like 8