To Whom Are You Drinking Right Now?

starfish

RIP racing legend Phil Hill, world champion (1961) and one of only two Americans to hold that honor. Hill inherited the points lead from teammate Wolfgang von Trips after the latter's fatal collision with a young Jim Clark; in an age when one-in-four top drivers would eventually die from racing accidents, he never suffered a major injury.

Paul Newman...a true American classic.

:lol:

With profits from Newman's Own, he gave more than $150 million to charities and social welfare organizations. He joked that his salad dressings and pasta sauces earned more than his films.

Newman continued to act in recent years, notably as the stage manager in a 2002 Broadway revival of Thornton Wilder's "Our Town," but he was certain acting was not his whole life. He said that over the toilet bowl in his office bathroom he hung a letter from a fan -- of his tomato sauce. The letter ends: "My girlfriend mentioned that you were a movie star and I would be interested to know what you have made. If you act as well as you cook, your movies should be worth watching."

Not really a whom, but to the loss of another independent bookseller...RIP Olsson's :lol:

PRESS RELEASE

SEPTEMBER 30, 2008

Olsson Enterprises, Inc., trading as Olsson's Books & Records closes stores and petitions court for Chapter 7 conversion.

Olsson Enterprises, Inc., trading as Olsson's Books & Records, Record & Tape Ltd., and Olsson's Books announced today that it has closed all of its locations and petitioned the U.S. Bankruptcy Court District of Maryland for conversion of its current Chapter 11 protection to Chapter 7.

The reasons given for the petitioning were stagnant sales, low cash reserves, and an inability to renegotiate current leases, along with a continuing weak retail economy and plummeting music sales.

Olsson's was established in 1972... Olsson's earned its reputation as a locally-owned community-oriented retailer with a knowledgeable staff selling a wide selection of books, music, video and gifts.

To Gaston LeNôre, without whom we might not know Michel Richard.
sad.gif When I turned twenty, I lived just down the street (avenue de Wagram) from what might have been the flagship patisserie. M. LeNôre got me through the ordeal of writing four, hefty term papers en francais. I'd dash down the street in my Earth Shoes for an individual portion of chocolate mousse, elegantly wrapped, as soon as I made it through the final draft of my first page. Had no idea until long after college why my precious rewards were so, so good.