To Whom Are You Drinking Right Now?

starfish

As long as we're discussing baseball, some drink in celebration of their baseball teams, I'm* drinking out of nervousness; fingernail bitings are not a good cocktail garnish.

*Maybe some day this week one of the two teams in the fight will decide they actually want to win the AL Central. Go White Sox! I'll be there friday night.

To Jacob Beneke, killed in this week's Minneapolis workplace shootings, and my nephew's closest friend from childhood. In describing his artwork, crafted from sustainable, recycled materials, he perhaps wrote his own best memorial: "Nothing is finite. Even fragile human life becomes part of the Earth as the physical form reduces to ashes. Life then renews as plants and animals thrive from those ashes buried in the ground." Peace to all who loved him.

To Bryan Glenn, a local teenager who was found after he went missing a week ago-http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/crime/body-found-during-search-for-missing-teen-in-fairfax/2012/10/08/2f811afa-11a4-11e2-be82-c3411b7680a9_story.html

This story breaks my heart, he reminds me of my son...regardless of the outcome, I am unsure that the search for him was properly conducted, he was found by a volunteer search party a week after he went missing, in the park where his car was found, after LE searches failed to find him. RIP Bryan, & my prayers to his family...

To Bryan Glenn, a local teenager who was found after he went missing a week ago-http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/crime/body-found-during-search-for-missing-teen-in-fairfax/2012/10/08/2f811afa-11a4-11e2-be82-c3411b7680a9_story.html

This story breaks my heart, he reminds me of my son...regardless of the outcome, I am unsure that the search for him was properly conducted, he was found by a volunteer search party a week after he went missing, in the park where his car was found, after LE searches failed to find him. RIP Bryan, & my prayers to his family...

Not to disagree with you, but you might remember Chandra Levy wasn't found for over a year after the DCPD supposedly went over Rock Creek park with a fine-tooth comb. Turns out that where she was found was an area that wasn't searched. At least Bryan was found a lot sooner than that.

Likewise. He went to my son's school, so this has been a particularly difficult story for me to follow.

I've been away and somewhat out of touch with events, but just learned that Eric Hobsbawm died last week at 95. One of a handful of the greatest English-language historians of the 20th century, and a hero to me both as a scholar and public intellectual. Also a leading jazz critic. I was first exposed to Hobsbawm in his brilliant collaboration with George Rudé, Captain Swing, a book that practically anyone would profit from reading.

Cheers, comrade!

(A nice appreciation in Jacobin is here.)

From secrecy and deception in high places; come home, America

From military spending so wasteful that it weakens our nation; come home, America.

From the entrenchment of special privileges in tax favoritism; from the waste of idle lands to the joy of useful labor; from the prejudice based on race and sex; from the loneliness of the aging poor and the despair of the neglected sick -- come home, America.

Come home to the affirmation that we have a dream. Come home to the conviction that we can move our country forward.

Come home to the belief that we can seek a newer world, and let us be joyful in that homecoming, for this “is your land, this land is my land -- from California to New York island, from the redwood forest to the gulf stream waters -- this land was made for you and me.”

From military spending so wasteful that it weakens our nation; come home, America.

From the entrenchment of special privileges in tax favoritism; from the waste of idle lands to the joy of useful labor; from the prejudice based on race and sex; from the loneliness of the aging poor and the despair of the neglected sick -- come home, America.

Come home to the affirmation that we have a dream. Come home to the conviction that we can move our country forward.

Come home to the belief that we can seek a newer world, and let us be joyful in that homecoming, for this “is your land, this land is my land -- from California to New York island, from the redwood forest to the gulf stream waters -- this land was made for you and me.”

Can I get an amen?

Can I get an amen?

Amen

Also to those who are fighting the hopeless battle and those who have in the past. You are loved.

Who am I toasting today? Well, duh!

post-2-0-44509700-1336940980_thumb.jpg

Happy Mother's Day, mom! :):(

And speaking <<en avance>> by proxy to my mom's equal, and to one of the greatest human beings, and absolutely one of the greatest mothers, ever to walk the face of the earth: Happy Mother's Day, Thérèse (La Fête des Mères, 2012, sera le 3 Juin en France).

Et toi aussi, <<Tante>> Tatie. :wub:

Mom,

For all the times you bought me things at The Dollar Store that I didn't want ...

For all the Arrow 65/35 shirts ...

For all the polyester ties that were given to the Salvation Army ...

For the plastic clock that's been sitting on my living room shelf, broken, for two years ...

But most of all ...

For the three Eveready lanterns, thrown into the back of my hall closet where they've been sitting for who-knows-how-long, still fully charged - because I'm going to need them tonight.

I used to worry about you when we had storms like this; now, I wish there was someone left to worry about.

and to Jim Cantore, who never fails to crack me up. Dude. Go inside!

Have you noticed that bad boy's physique??? I mean, he has some serious biceps. I'm guessin' he spends a lot of time in the gym. My brother is a Meteorologist with the National Weather Service, and I can't imagine he would have a female following hoping he would wear a Tee shirt.

To the guys from Sumter Utilities who drove all the way from South Carolina to fix the downed lines in our neighborhood. There's nothing like waking after a storm, having power, then having the utility company cut it so they can do some repairs downstream. Thanks for making it as quick as possible.

Tomorrow you may be thinking of Jimmy Carter, but tonight, raise a glass to Elliott Carter (1908-2012). The year he was born, not Gerald Ford, but Henry Ford, introduced the Model T.

All I ask is 10 seconds (literally, 10 seconds) of your time. Go to that link, scroll down about 2/3 of the page to String Quarter Number 2 (composed in 1959), and listen just for a few seconds. No need to listen to the whole thing; just for a few seconds so his name is etched into your memory.

You've just paid tribute to an American musical giant. And while you're at it, why not minimize the screen, let the music play in the background, and continue surfing the internet? You'll pick up plenty, even though you're busy doing other things. It will be time well-spent.

In regards to my work on this website, I take from Mr. Carter this quote:

"As a young man, I harbored the populist idea of writing for the public,” he once explained to an interviewer who asked him why he had chosen to write such difficult music. “I learned that the public didn’t care. So I decided to write for myself. Since then, people have gotten interested.”

An influence on me? Absolutely.

Cheers, Maestro. I'm remembering you right at this moment with a 1999 Willi Schaeffer Graccher Domprobst Riesling Kabinett

PS - Do you want to see a Master Class, in the purest sense of the word? Go to 3:06 of this video. No pressure here. :)

Heck, I haven't played Reach yet. But we have a regular Tuesday night group that plays it, and I'm still only level 18 and chasing that damn flying city across Pandora...

So my drinking tonight might be to Axton, whose next job is to blow up that stupid gluttonous thresher that ate my lunar beacon.

(And most of the people who read this will be saying "WTF are you talking about?!")

Really?! That's so cool! (Dating, right?)

To the new couple, Marshall Fawley and Sylvie Nguyen aka @VAScofflaw and @ThriftyDCCook!

SeanMike should've phrased it as "A toast to Mr. and Mrs. T. Marshall Fawley, III!" (Assuming third based on handle name.) I understand, based on tweets, that Jake contributed a great concocted punch, as well as something by Derek.

Congrats to the newlyweds!!!

They were introduced as Mr. & Mrs. Thomas Marshall Fawley the Third.

There was a speakeasy room with two punches plus some whiskeys. One punch was a rum punch Jake made, and the other was a genever punch we put together based off a recipe Derek came up with for them. Plus there was a dragon and drum dance, a speech from yours truly (the best man), a 40 pound roast pig, both Vietnamese food and comfort food (such as fried chicken and waffles, and sausage gravy and biscuits, as passed appetizers), a good number of folks all dancing Gangnam style, a wide selection of flasks....

It was a pretty amazing day!

And to Manager of the Year Davey Johnson, whom I have admired since I was, um, much younger than I am now :lol: .

(Davey is getting a Lagunitas Pils.)

I knew I was over the hill when the players started looking like babies and some of the managers (Tony La Russa) looked HOT. :wacko: