To Whom Are You Drinking Right Now?

starfish

to Guy Fieri, who is currently testing in vivo the theory that there's no such thing as bad publicity.

No, that would be Lance Armstrong disproving that theory.

I think this piece - a bagel, coupled with seemingly universal bad reviews - is going to infiltrate the public's mindset, and hurt Fieri's restaurant a lot. Now if only the restaurants flying under the critics' radar - the Applebees and the Pizza Huts of the world - would achieve the same level of recognition and be put out of business. Still, maybe this will be Step One in the (fingers crossed) Unlinking of Celebrity with Talent movement. What a wonderful world it would be if people were actually forced to think.

First, to Kavita, for the poetry of the previous post.

Second, to 18,500 workers, now out of jobs in part because their company's leaders took "pay hikes of up to 80% last year, even as the company was struggling." (Washington Post) I'd like to shove a thousand Twinkies up the ass of each of them. The execs, that is, not the workers.

Not to whom tonight, but to what: the purchase (finally) of my new car and the start of a 4 day weekend which also happens to include my favorite holiday and lots of my favorite activities - eating and drinking. Cheers!

To Joe Riley for being a loving son. Joe's mom passed away early this morning after an extended illness. Please everyone, offer up your love and support to Joe, here, privately, or wherever - just reach out to him. He's one of the good guys, for sure, and he needs our help.

Joe, I'm sorry for your loss, especially tough at this time of year. :(

Damnit, to Dave Brubeck.

Oh no! I'm actually tearing up over this one. When I was a grad student, a friend and I went to St. Louis where we met one of her friends and happened into a music store. He (the F of F) was a jazz aficionado and knew more than I ever will. I was browsing cluelessly when he asked what I liked. From there, he just started picking out CDs, one of which was the Brubeck and Desmond duets from 1975. I wore out that CD. :( Another giant moves on.

Over this weekend a get together with an old friend had us toasting Ralph Capobianco, who passed away 2+ years ago,and 2 years after a stroke largely incapacitated him. Ralph was my favorite restauranteur in the region. He opened all the local Hamburger hamlets way way back when it was part of a chain, Portners, which was part of HH, and when he went out on his own he opened Union Street Publick House, King Street Blues, Stella's and some other restaurants.

Back in the 1980's we tried to put a Portner's inspired deal together in Reston. The finances of the deal weren't close but it was fun. Ralph bustled with positive energy and turned out to be one of Old Towne's major restaurant operators. People I met who worked for him had the utmost respect for him. Virtually every one of his restaurants had an inspired touch that made them fun while dining was always at least a little better.

I missed Ralph's funeral. A belated toast to him.

William Davidson, one of the earliest marketing academics and a real inspiration to those of us who teach and study marketing. Bill died last week, at the age of 93. Because he was emeritis on the OSU Marketing faculty, I met him several times. His last visit to his former home department, just a few months ago, was to guilt us all into donating to some retailing library collection that none of us had ever known. He was a passionate, elegant man, and the field grew up because of him and great scholars like him.

Yeah, it's sad to see the actors and actresses I watched growing up getting old and moving on.

Right now, I'm only having a very humble bottle of 2010 Bordeaux (after my second straight wonderful meal at DGS Delicatessen, followed by an amazingly good sandwich at the new Earl's Sandwiches (which I still prefer to Fast Gourmet)), but I'm drinking to all our wonderful members, without whom this website would not exist. I've never forgotten that, and I never will. I promise.

To Dana, Ken, Leah, and Michael for welcoming me in their home as family.

We are glad you came and I am insanely impressed how accurate you were with naming the commune, vineyard and especially vintage. I think Alex Trebek would have gone to the judges and accepted Charmes for Mazoyeres. You have talent!

Just received news one of my foster greyhounds (I used to help with ex-racing greyhounds) passed away last night. That makes three passings now. Makes me a bit sad but happy they all lived to double digits. Makes me hug mine a little more--she just turned 12!

To Mary, for bringing me over wonderful Fiddleheads New Guinea Papua "Peaberry" coffee, HT :) cream, Sugar in the Raw, and Le Petit Ecolier cookies.

To Dave and Catherine, for having me in their home as family (and cooking wonderful rosemary lamb chops, cumin-sumac lamb chops, popovers, root vegetables, and green bean and tomato casserole. Not to mention offering up fantastic appetizers of 3 Year Cabot cheddar, goat cheese, olives, and spiced cashews, and selections from their dual liquor cabinet that can't be beat including amazing Willets, Van Winkle 13, the impossibly rare QE, and Red Hook. Wow! What amazing hosts these two are.)

And to my new friend Courtney, for keeping me company at 3:30 AM when I *really* needed it!

Thank you all! Gosh I have wonderful friends and I am growing more grateful by the day. I have been needlessly isolating myself in my self-imposed world of misery when I've had love all around me the entire time. I am so thankful for my friends.

• Like 4

To my dear friend Rich, and my new friends Ann and Kristin, as well as Buddy - one of the most humble, substantive, focused guitarists I've seen in quite a long time.

Thank you all for a wonderful evening! My God, what have I been doing for the past two years?!

To my next door neighbor Greg, for spending hours last night mounting and calibrating a massive* telescope in his driveway, and telling my girls that anytime they wanted to stare at the heavens, he'd be delighted.

*seriously, this thing is 5' long, anchored to a heavy duty lift, computer controlled and hooked up to all sorts of cameras. It's insane

Does anyone remember Grammar Rock, with the old lady rocking in a chair?
I often wonder if folks know there is Science Rock, Multiplication Rock, AND Money Rock.

Little man now knows them all, thanks to the local library.

Which I may need to re-listen to ease the pain after reading something that left such a gagging feeling or poor taste in mouth. Blech.

IMG_0051.jpgThanks Don! That is very sweet. I will be toasting her too. She was a good cat who lived to be about 16 years old.

Alice, if that's a picture you posted, it's showing up on my Safari browser as a blue question mark. :( I'd love to see Chloe.

To my good friend DanielK for a fun dinner, and to my best friend MattRocks for calling and saying he wanted to see his dad tonight when he was sick. :wub:

• Like 1