To Whom Are You Drinking Right Now?

starfish

To our country! Celebrating the legacy of Dr. King and all the dreams that were fulfilled today as Our President began his second term in a peaceful and glorious day of ceremonies. On a day like today, I do feel a sense of hope.

I will drink to that since otherwise my answer was going to be "to no one in particular" or "to my newest liquor acquisition, a bottle of Domaine de Canton". :P

To my buddy, a chef, who shook Alice Waters' hand tonight when we dined at Toki Underground. A thrill for him, it was pretty cool to see it! And yes, I started at UM, walked to Boundary Road for a sour beer, and headed to TU only to be placed on a 2 hour wait.

As I go about my happy-go-lucky, blessed life, I discovered a good friend of mine has cancer and is in the hospital battling a possibly limb or life threatening infection. Tonight, I drink to him, so that he can beat it, even if it means I get a tattoo of a mutual friend on my ass if he does.

To a very special group of my work colleagues who bust their butts and who are about to get hosed. I am so sorry, and I am drinking to forget that something we built that was wonderful and efficient is about to be ruined by a Peter-principled hack who doesn't care about the mission.

To a very special group of my work colleagues who bust their butts and who are about to get hosed. I am so sorry, and I am drinking to forget that something we built that was wonderful and efficient is about to be ruined by a Peter-principled hack who doesn't care about the mission.

You remind me of me.

On the 25th anniversary of my entering the book publishing business, I raise a glass to the many, many authors and colleagues who made that milestone possible. Over the course of editing hundreds of books, what began as a job turned into not just a career but a vocation (even if the career dimension does feel a bit moribund right now!).

• Like 2

To the mockingbird who has guarded, with both vigilance and valor, all winter long, the holly trees flanking our front door. No other bird got a single berry until an enormous flock of migrating robins showed up yesterday and overwhelmed the little guy. I returned home this afternoon to bare trees and a forlorn looking fellow. I need to find some mockingbird treats.

To making the right kind of first impression in my new professional role, and to keeping my head together during this crazy transition period.

And to hoping beyond hopes that my beloved husband can get a job and join me here, in the city where we met and that we both love so dearly, VERY soon...

• Like 2

To Danica Patrick. So what if she got freight-trained on the last lap? She drove a clean, smart race. And while I'm at it, I'm drinking to all the women who over the past century (or more) have gone on to do things that "girls can't do", whether in sports, science, industry, politics, medicine, military service...

• Like 3

To Danica Patrick. So what if she got freight-trained on the last lap? She drove a clean, smart race. And while I'm at it, I'm drinking to all the women who over the past century (or more) have gone on to do things that "girls can't do", whether in sports, science, industry, politics, medicine, military service...

...and movies. I edited mine post just above yours in honor of the snubbed Kathryn Bigelow. :)

Lots of directors were snubbed this year! Affleck, Bigelow, Hooper. Tarantino.

I had a book when I was little (so the early 70s) about how girls could be anything they wanted to be.

It kind of sucks that I'm still explaining to my almost six year old that a woman can be president, even if one hasn't been elected yet. Sigh..

Lots of directors were snubbed this year! Affleck, Bigelow, Hooper. Tarantino.

I had a book when I was little (so the early 70s) about how girls could be anything they wanted to be.

It kind of sucks that I'm still explaining to my almost six year old that a woman can be president, even if one hasn't been elected yet. Sigh..

Affleck and Tarantino did okay otherwise. Bigelow was the only woman snubbed and she was totally snubbed. And, no worries BLB, it's a sure thing your six-year-old will see a female president elected. I think you can bet the farm on it.

I had a grade-school teacher in the early 70s who laughed at me when I said I wanted to be an astronaut. "But girls can't be astronauts!" I hope she lived long enough to see that she was wrong.

Not sure how well you know Beowulf, but I guess you were known as Grendel's Mother. :)

Grendel's "dam" mother, montrous hell-bride. :P Played by Angelina Jolie, as I recall. Of course I know Beowulf, and the novel by John Gardner as well.

The dog was well named:

"Then as dawn brightened and the day broke

Grendel's powers of destruction were plain"

but I will miss him.