To Whom Are You Drinking Right Now?

starfish

Drinking again to Jamaal Charles and the Kansas City Chiefs. It was a quick playoff run, but at least it was disappointing and underwhelming.

Lol. I drank to andrew luck. Whose td run with a recovered fumble had to be the best called play ever.

Greg Maddux and Tom Glavine on their election to the Hall of Fame.  (Not that I have anything against Frank Thomas but I'm not an AL person...) 

And I to Frank Thomas, my favorite ball player of all time; as a young impressionable kid growing up most of my family were fans of the other team in town and perhaps in alternate lives I would gone down that path. Instead, I paid more attention to one of the coolest guys in the sport. My dad took me to a playoff game in 1993 and the rest was history. Cheers to the Big Hurt and I hope to be in Cooperstown this July.

• Like 1

To Pete Seeger. I heard him in concert back in 1976, when I was a freshman at Wartburg College--but only after we evacuated the auditorium because of a bomb threat. It was an early wake-up call that messages of peace and justice are deeply threatening to many people, but also how that message is only strengthened by such opposition. Well done, Pete.

Every Tuesday night for I've lost track of how long several friends of mine from college and I would get together on Xbox and play (most of all) Borderlands and then Borderlands 2. Shooting bandits in the face, blowing up skags, buying so much ammo from Marcus...we knock back some drinks and hang out for a few hours. Tonight may be the last night so I'll drink to Gearbox and Microsoft, who made it so much fun to get together weekly and hang out with folks in VA and NC that I don't see often enough in person.

To Ruthanne Lodato, our neighbor.

I'm sorry about Ms. Lodato. :(

It's always tough to follow a personal tribute with a celebrity tribute, but this will also be the last chance we have to remember HOF baseball player, Ralph Kiner (who, quite honestly, I probably didn't even remember was still with us at age 91).

Were you personal friends with Ruthanne? Tell us something about her we don't know, something her great-grandchildren might want to see one day. I think it's lovely when a star flickers for just a brief moment, 50, 75 years after a person passes because of a kind thought or deed that had been planted long ago.

And thanks for reminding me to update my calendar. I make notes to contact people who lost loved ones 6 months after, 1 year after, 2 years after, and 3 years after - more than this is okay, too, but at least this much. It makes people so happy just to be asked a simple, passing question in the form of an email, phone call, etc., when all the other ceremonies, remembrances, and other types of well-wishing have long since died down. It's one way to know who the people are who truly care (not the only way, but one way), and is really just a simple matter of a little organization (with iCal, it's as easy as can be).

To my grandmother, who had a huge hand in raising me, who I loved dearly, and who I miss even more dearly. Although considering that it's 2 weeks tonight since she passed away it may be more of a drowning my sorrows than a drinking in memory of at this point. Ah hell, it can be both, can't it?

• Like 1

To Dave Brockie, aka Oderus Urungus, lead singer and perpetrator of GWAR (as well as Death Piggie, DBX, and bass player for X-Cops).

I was lucky enough to hang out with him quite a bit back in the '90s and kept putting off getting back out to see them perform. Sigh.

• Like 1

To Mother Nature.  You win.  I am completely, utterly, beaten into submission.

And thank you to the anonymous person who found my hat on the ground and put it on a fencepost so I found it when I retraced my steps.  I needed it when I went out, then took it off and stuffed it in my pocket.  Then the snow finally stopped!  Then it started again and I needed my hat  by the time I was almost home and couldn't find it.  It is (I think) my only hat, and since winter is not ending, I couldn't afford to lose it.

To Mother Nature.  You win.  I am completely, utterly, beaten into submission.

I'm hoping for one more big snow.

(Today is Lady Day, by the way, the Old Style New Year's Day. Perhaps the BVM will intercede and forestall any further wintry weather. Here's to her!)

I'm hoping for one more big snow.

(Today is Lady Day, by the way, the Old Style New Year's Day. Perhaps the BVM will intercede and forestall any further wintry weather. Here's to her!)

So am I, just for the giggles factor.

To Uby, a gentleman from Chicago and the Scofflaw bar there. Had a great time hanging out with him at the Passenger last night.

To the 65 novice racing drivers and 172 volunteers who supported them in the WDCR SCCA's Spring Drivers School this past weekend.  There's no misery quite like the misery of learning to drive an open-wheel, open-cockpit car in competition IN THE SNOW.