To Whom Are You Drinking Right Now?

starfish

Drinking but not driving to Tom Maglliozzi aka either Click or Clack Tappet, who kept me and especially Stephanie company for uncounted Saturdays of errand-running and child-ferrying over many years.  Of Alzheimers.  Said brother Ray, in a statement, "Turns out he wasn't kidding -- he really couldn't remember last weeks puzzler."

• Like 7

...uncounted Saturdays of errand-running and child-ferrying over many years.

Yes!  My son, who will be 31 next week, once told me that he considered 'Car Talk' to be the soundtrack of his childhood-- so many Saturday mornings driving him to Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts, soccer games.....it was endless.  It's really sad to have such an institution fade away.

To Steve Cymrot, proprietor of Riverby Books, one of the greatest used bookstores in the Mid-Atlantic region, both on Capitol Hill and its original store in Fredericksburg, Virginia. What a horribly sad loss.

I just saw that.  How awfully sad.  I hadn't realized he was the person hit in that accident. He and his wife have been really important to the civic life of Capitol Hill for a long time.

(It's also mentioned here, for people who get anti-virus alerts going to that other site.  I don't what the problem is, as it's a legitimate site.  At some point a while back, I started to get virus warnings every time I went there. I ignore them, maybe at my own peril.)

To my dog Kiko, who has put up with all the upheaval and stress I've cast her way in packing up and moving house, and to my surprise and delight hasn't complained for one second. An even better dog than I realized until the last three days. Here's looking at you, kid.

• Like 2

To my Aunt Irk (Irma Ruth K.), the youngest of my mother's sisters, the last in my family of her generation, a tiny woman who brought more than her weight in magic whereever she went, and an amazing cartoonist/illustrator. Thank you for loving your nieces and nephews so well.

Oh, and Fuck Cancer.

To Jean Cabut (Cabu), Bernard Verlhac (Tingous), Georges Wolinski, Stéphane Charbonnier (Charb), the rest of the staff of Charlie Hebdo, both those murdered and survivors--and to provocateurs worldwide. Freedom of expression will not be terrorized. #JeSuisCharlie.

• Like 5

To Jean Cabut (Cabu), Bernard Verlhac (Tingous), Georges Wolinski, Stéphane Charbonnier (Charb), the rest of the staff of Charlie Hebdo, both those murdered and survivors--and to provocateurs worldwide. Freedom of expression will not be terrorized. #JeSuisCharlie.

My poor understanding and limited intelligence leave me wondering why some people think that doing some things is a good idea.

My poor understanding and limited intelligence leave me wondering why some people think that doing some things is a good idea.

To rephrase:  My, some poor understanding and limited intelligence people think that doing some things is a good idea...leave me wondering why.      Je Suis Charlie

• Like 1

To rephrase:  My, some poor understanding and limited intelligence people think that doing some things is a good idea...leave me wondering why. 

It took every ounce of strength not to make some pretty angry comments yesterday, but I knew I'd look back and regret it if I did.

I just heard on WPFW today that Don Covay died on January 30. I once possessed what at the time was possibly the largest collection of Don Covay albums (like seven or eight) in the known universe. Don Covay was a Washingtonian, and had a few R&B hits (most famously, probably, "Mercy, Mercy", which was later covered by the Rolling Stones), and also wrote or co-wrote a bunch of songs that were big hits for other artists, notably "Pony Time" for Chubby Checker, "Chain of Fools" for Aretha Franklin, and "Letter Full of Tears" for Gladys Knight and the Pips.

I first got turned on to Don Covay in 1971 or 1972, when somebody played his 1969 album House of Blue Lights for me. I was especially struck by the song "The Blues Don't Knock", which a friend described as acid blues.

Here's to you, Superdude.