starfish

To Whom Are You Drinking Right Now?

To Jose Bonilla, one of the owners of La Malinche in Silver Spring. An extraordinary kind, gracious, and hard working man; always smiling, always laughing. Jose was a fixture in the restaurants at Marriott Wardman Park and I had the pleasure to work with him for years at our hotel. Like many immigrants, he worked tirelessly at multiple jobs to support his family here in the States, as well as at home in El Salvador.

Last year, he realized a life long dream of opening his own restaurant, with his brothers, in Silver Spring - an American dream fulfilled. He tragically passed away in a car accident late Tuesday night, leaving work to go home, where he cared for his mother. My life is better to have known him, and he will be missed. Rest in peace, my friend.

• Like 3

((obviously I'm not "Like"-ing this because of what happened, but because that's a touching tribute.))

I just heard Lou Reed died. I'll be putting one back in his honor this evening.

Yes, indeed. In a world that can't fathom being both influential and transgressive, he did both to the hilt. The most expressive monotone ever?

To Wilma Roumel, my original landlord at Colonial Village, who took a chance on me (in the dark shadows of 9/11) just over twelve years ago, when no one else would, and who remained a growing friend throughout her long illness--and to whom I hope I remained a source of pride and support in return as long as her diminishing awareness allowed (while hoping she was never aware of what her legacy had become).

To Wilma Roumel, my original landlord at Colonial Village, who took a chance on me (in the dark shadows of 9/11) just over twelve years ago, when no one else would, and who remained a growing friend throughout her long illness--and to whom I hope I remained a source of pride in return as long as her diminishing awareness allowed.

I'm sorry Michael. :(

To Tatyana McFadden - a badass female wheelchair athlete who became the first person to win a marathon Grand Slam (Boston, London, Chicago, and New York) with her victory in NYC today. Truly an inspiration, especially as I prepare to train for marathon #3.

• Like 1

Since he's not old enough, to everyone who made the SF BatKid's Make-a-Wish so awesome yesterday! 

• Like 3

To today's Presidential Medal Of Freedom awardees:

The great Ernie Banks (Jon Karl will be interviewing him, just after 12 noon at the White House - he's asking my advice for questions! :) I told him to mention 40 HRs per year, for 4 straight years, 1957-1960 ... now that is just awesome for a shortstop in that era.)

The late Senator and war hero Daniel Inouye

The coal miner's daughter, Loretta Lynn

The legendary basketball coach, Dean Smith

And our local newscaster who made good, Oprah Winfrey

This is a cool list of people.

• Like 1

The great Ernie Banks (Jon Karl will be interviewing him, just after 12 noon at the White House - he's asking my advice for questions! :) I told him to mention 40 HRs per year, for 4 straight years, 1957-1960 ... now that is just awesome for a shortstop in that era.)

Hopefully Karl didn't make the same mistake someone did on NPR this morning, calling Banks a former great of the President's beloved White Sox. :o

While POTUS does root for the same team I do, and I always enjoy him poking fun at the other team in town, Mr. Banks is known as Mr. Cub for a reason!

I think you omitted Ben Bradlee as well.

To those who remember JFK

(50 years ago)

(before my time)

(but dallas is mourning today)

Before my time as well, but my mother has told me about him my entire life.  It was the end of the era of trust in government.

And Gloria Steinem!

And Bayard Rustin and C. T. Vivian--two of the most vital figures in the civil rights movement.

Nelson Mandela. Rest in peace. We have all been enriched by his courage and grace.

I think I can speak for the entire website when I say "to Nelson Mandela" - one of the single greatest people of our lifetime. Indeed, as President Obama said, "˜he no longer belongs to us; now he belongs to the ages.'

And to Matt, who is resting comfortably after getting his wisdom teeth pulled. Sixteen years, first general anesthesia, and boy oh boy did my paternal instinct kick in strongly.

• Like 2

To Mary Barra and Deborah Rutter, the new heads of GM and the Kennedy Center, respectively. It's not just wonderful to see women rising to these positions, but both seem remarkable in a way that almost renders the gender dimension moot.  It will be exciting to watch how these two disparate organizations develop under their leadership; I suspect there will be lots of toasting to be done.

Just left the annual cocktail event of my LGBT non-profit board. We all toasted Edie Windsor and all the gay marriage pioneers who make it possible for me to believe that someday, my love and I can be legallly married in every state in this country.

• Like 1

To Peter O'Toole. Those blue eyes in "Lawrence of Arabia" are the most gorgeous in the history of cinema. (And he was a damn fine actor, too.)