To Whom Are You Drinking Right Now?

starfish

Alberto Contador. Well played, lad. Your exuberance on the stand and at the press conference was well deserved, and a nice tip of the hat to calling Lance your idol. My money's on you to still be wearing the maillot jaune next Sunday.

Today is the 65th anniversary of the start of Operation Anvil: the Allied liberation of Burgundy.

"We must not forget 1870," a French officer told Mr. [Wynford Vaughan] Thomas later that day. The officer said that one of the last battles of the Franco-Prussian War had been fought around Nuits-St.-Georges, an important Burgundy wine town, and that Prussian reserves, rushing to the front, had marched through and destroyed the legendary vineyards of La Tache, Romanee-Conti and Richebourg.

At that point, Mr. Thomas wrote, a young officer rushed in to announce that weak points in the German defense had been found. "And, colonel," the officer said, "every one is on a vineyard of inferior quality."

An interesting NYT article from the Oct 13 1870 issue here, particularly the prescient commentary at the top of the second column.

Who said (and I paraphrase)"Britain no longer cooks [they} just watch it on TV"

Yes, but that was in one of his particularly testy periods, when he'd had a falling out with the BBC and had to move the series to Channel 5, with a corresponding loss of prestige and presumably money. It's a real shame - he'd been diagnosed with colon cancer about a year ago, had just gotten the news that the treatment was going very well, sat down to watch a new TV bio of himself, and boom.

(He also wins the prize for the best cooking show theme ever - the Stranglers' "Waltzin' Black".)

To my application for tenure, which I just submitted today. Thank you to the DR community for being my favorite form of procrastination these last few years. Now, if you all wouldn't mind doing a little prayer for a positive result in the spring. . .

To you! Hope Dubonnet rouge on the rocks works its magic for you. :rolleyes:

To my application for tenure, which I just submitted today. Thank you to the DR community for being my favorite form of procrastination these last few years. Now, if you all wouldn't mind doing a little prayer for a positive result in the spring. . .

Not a prayer, exactly, but a hat tip, a finger cross, and best wishes for success.

(and a fist bump)