starfish

To Whom Are You Drinking Right Now?

Leon Redbone

I always loved his style. If you're not familiar with him (he died yesterday), and you like jazz with an often comic twist, check him out.

To my dad, who would have been 93 today. He has been gone for just over and a year and a half, and I miss him terribly and think of him often. I was extremely lucky to have been raised by him. He was a St. Louis sports fan all of his life. I hope the Blues pull out a win for him tonight. Love you, Dad. Cheers.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DIShGo said:

To my dad, who would have been 93 today. He has been gone for just over and a year and a half, and I miss him terribly and think of him often. I was extremely lucky to have been raised by him. He was a St. Louis sports fan all of his life. I hope the Blues pull out a win for him tonight. Love you, Dad. Cheers.

Your father was a great man, and I'm honored to have had a chance to connect with him.

• Like 1

To my Dad, who left his earthly body today, on Father’s Day, at age 91. He was brought to this country as a very young child as an immigrant.  His parents died when he was very young, and he was shuttled from foster homes that went from bad to worse, until he escaped to live on his own as a teenager, and then joined the Navy.  He earned a masters degree and was a gifted teacher. He had an amazing head for numbers.  He adored my mother, he doted on his children, and he was an engaged grandfather.  My dad liked good food, red wine, and a martini with Tomolives.  He had a big personality, and a zest for life.  I am comforted knowing that when he arrives on the other side, Leah Chase will be cooking a meal for him, and Dr. John will be playing music.  Tonight I will raise a glass of red wine to Leonard. 💔

• Like 8

9 hours ago, dcandohio said:

To my Dad, who left his earthly body today, on Father’s Day, at age 91. He was brought to this country as a very young child as an immigrant.  His parents died when he was very young, and he was shuttled from foster homes that went from bad to worse, until he escaped to live on his own as a teenager, and then joined the Navy.  He earned a masters degree and was a gifted teacher. He had an amazing head for numbers.  He adored my mother, he doted on his children, and he was an engaged grandfather.  My dad liked good food, red wine, and a martini with Tomolives.  He had a big personality, and a zest for life.  I am comforted knowing that when he arrives on the other side, Leah Chase will be cooking a meal for him, and Dr. John will be playing music.  Tonight I will raise a glass of red wine to Leonard. 💔

Sounds like you were blessed with a very wonderful father. My condolences on your loss. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, dcandohio said:

An absolutely beautiful tribute.  My condolences.  Very well written and it sounds like a full life.

My dad passed away 20+ years ago, my mom a little over 6 months ago.  They inhabit some of my thinking virtually every day;  my dad for over 20 years now.  Its really amazing.

• Like 1

An old friend of mine, whom I grew up with and knew from Jr High on, Larry Burdett, passed away either on the evening of June 19 or in the early morning hours of June 20; June 20 being his birthday.  The explosion of grief among family and friends is enormous.  Larry was the nicest most sincere fellow, moved back to our home town after college and lived there his entire life.  He passed away at the house his grandfather built in the 1930's; a house he grew up in.  Like his father he was a member of the local volunteer fire department and grew to become chief, serving 3 times in total (a position that rotates every year). 

We grew friendlier in the last few years.  Larry was a prolific FB user, and a prolific friend of many combining the two gave him over 750 FB friends.  On that basis the grief is enormous.  Due to FB we grew friendlier, he being an original member of groups associated with our home town, me having joined later on.

Larry opined on a variety of topics including politics where our perspectives were pretty similar.  His political posts were unique in that his friends from all political persuasions joined in.  For those that join in political arguments on the web it was completely unique.  I used to ask him if it was okay to rant--he approved.  He started asking me about people we grew up with, ones whose perspectives were on the opposite of ours.  We grew friendlier.   I saw him last Autumn.  It was a real pleasure--we were the essence of old friends, even as we hadn't been close in school. 

He is receiving an amazing outpouring of web love.  For a very "common man" he was remarkably loved.

See ya Larry.  Enjoy your bourbon and watching U of Kentucky up in heaven with your folks and other departed friends.  Hopefully there is a fire department there and you and your dad can ride the trucks to help out victims. 

• Like 4

RIP Cokie Roberts.  A brilliant and kind person, a fixture in National political discourse, an incredibly personable individual.  Well loved by those that knew her.  Accomplished and loving.  Big loss today.

Terrific memories including a review of her life and memories/testimonials from her colleagues

• Like 3