Dining Near Farragut and McPherson Squares

Can any DC regulars recommend a good lunch spot near I St. NW and 17th where I can get something good for ~$10-15 ($20 max)? I am somewhat tempted to make a meal of sides at BLT (or get the burger) since everything else is well over my price range. Any other good spots within a few blocks or so? I'm pretty much open to any type of cuisine..

Thanks!

Can any DC regulars recommend a good lunch spot near I St. NW and 17th where I can get something good for ~$10-15 ($20 max)? I am somewhat tempted to make a meal of sides at BLT (or get the burger) since everything else is well over my price range. Any other good spots within a few blocks or so? I'm pretty much open to any type of cuisine..

Thanks!

Pedro and Vinny's Burrito cart if it's open at 15 and K, I believe. Naan and Beyond is on 17th and L. Breadline also isn't too far from there.

I struggle with this everyday, as the choices or quite limited. I would say your best bet is Breadline or Wasabi, and please

stay clear of Naan and Beyond (Potbelly is better), unless you like tasteless food. Also, Restaurant Kolombia is a good choice for lunch.

Breadline

Greek Deli

Restaurant Kolumbia (9$ lunch)

Teatro Goldoni (11$ Lunch at the bar) - I'm not a fan of this restaurant but for the money it does the job

Best Sandwich place (18th and L, next to the borders on L), It is not the best sandwich place (just the name of the place) but the sandwiches are pretty good

please stay clear of Naan and Beyond (Potbelly is better), unless you like tasteless food.

Dis.a.gree.

Also Wasabi is a decent lunch spot and you can get out for under $20, although I haven't been in a while.

Also, shameless plug for the lunch link in my sig.

I would say your best bet is Breadline or Wasabi, and please stay clear of Naan and Beyond (Potbelly is better), unless you like tasteless food.

I'm going to have to disagree on two points

1) I find Wasabi to be completely overpriced for the quality. I've honestly had better sushi at one of the cafeteria-style take out joints that dot the area. The selection of other dishes is good but, again, overpriced.

2) Naan and Beyond is in the second tier of my regular rotation. It has it's faults, but tasteless is about the last word I would use to describe it.

More options in the area:

Teaism

Kaz (for bento boxes)

A little further towards Dupont Circle:

Moby Dick

Julia's Empanadas

Well Dressed Burrito

And the aforementioned Greek Deli for emphasis :angry:

Cafe Asia on I street between 17th and 18th is okay - large portions.

Marvelous Market on 17th between I and K -- sandwiches are decent

Sichuan Pavilion on K between 18th and 19th

The food court at Farragut West has Five Guys.

$9 bar lunch at Restaurant Kolumbia

2) Naan and Beyond is in the second tier of my regular rotation. It has it's faults, but tasteless is about the last word I would use to describe it.

I had a couple of good chicken tikka wraps at Naan and Beyond. But I've also walked out of there with a chicken tikka wrap that tasted bland, boring, almost completely unseasoned. Nothing remotely resembling chicken tikka, and nothing like the previous ones. I didn't bother finishing it. So I'd have to agree that on occasion, Naan and Beyond can, in fact, be tasteless. But I also agree that this is not the norm for them.

City Place Cafe (on 17th next to Caribou)
This is my "secret spot". Right now, they've got some really delicious cold summer soups. They also serve a great breakfast!

California Grill - which is around the corner from City Place on M St btw 17th and Connecticut can be good if you order the right thing. I love their cold grilled chicken breast sandwiches.

This is my "secret spot". Right now, they've got some really delicious cold summer soups. They also serve a great breakfast!

California Grill - which is around the corner from City Place on M St btw 17th and Connecticut can be good if you order the right thing. I love their cold grilled chicken breast sandwiches.

City Place was almost right across the street from my old job and we all ate there all the time and used them for catering a lot. The guy that owns/runs it knows all the regulars and is so nice. The salad bar is on the small side, but it's so much cheaper than SoHo and those places. They have a great selection of sandwiches and their soups are generally very good as well.

I almost forgot to mention CF Folks. Menu changes daily with ethnic themes (mexican, morrocan, indian, etc), but also has regular items on the menu, such as the crabcake and assorted sandwiches (pastrami, corned beef, roast beef...).

I like the crabcake and the morrocan chicken with rice and salad they serve on fridays. I haven't tried their ice cream, but I hear its possibly the best in DC and others have been bold enough to compare it to the ice cream served at 2 Amys

There's a good jewish deli on 15th & I called Loeb's. If you're in the mood for a great deli sandwich (corned beef / turkey / roast beef / whatever) dripping with coleslaw or spicy brown mustard, check it out.

If you're really feeling gluttonous, one of their sandwiches comes with a fried egg on top. I wouldn't recommend it if your class has an afternoon session.

Sichuan Pavilion on K between 18th and 19th

I believe Sichuan Pavilion has been closed for quite some time. If you want Asian, head to Nooshi on 19th (next to the Greek Deli), which is better than Cafe Asia - though I do eat at CA from time to time because it's closer.

I believe Sichuan Pavilion has been closed for quite some time. If you want Asian, head to Nooshi on 19th (next to the Greek Deli), which is better than Cafe Asia - though I do eat at CA from time to time because it's closer.
Sichuan Pavilion has had signs and work crews up for the past year that it is rebuilding and "opening soon." Who knows what that means.

I agree with most of the suggestions listed and I'll add a few:

Nirvana - K st between 18 and 19th - vegetarian Indian lunch buffet around $11

Juice Joint - great smoothies and healthy but good food on Vermont Ave between 15th and 16th St, closer to McPherson Square. Try the fresh grilled salmon salad with mango relish.

Teasim bentos (might have already been mentioned)

Roasting House - hole in the wall looks like a coffee bar, head to the back for fresh turkey and big salads. On Vermont other side of the street from Juice Joint

Malaysian Kopitiam

Washington Deli on 20th st between K & I. Bit of shlep but worth it if you want good NY style thin crust pizza by the slice - 2 oversized slices and a soda for $6 I think.

As for Naan & Beyond, I've been several times over several years and it depends on your taste. Some love the chips or the tikka wraps. I think the best stuff is the big tandoor chicken with sides or the chicken biryani. never had one but the tikka pizzas always look good too. The chutneys are needed for extra flavor, but they don't compare to a real Indian restaurant.

Washington Deli on 20th st between K & I. Bit of shlep but worth it if you want good NY style thin crust pizza by the slice - 2 oversized slices and a soda for $6 I think.

As for Naan & Beyond, I've been several times over several years and it depends on your taste. Some love the chips or the tikka wraps. I think the best stuff is the big tandoor chicken with sides or the chicken biryani. never had one but the tikka pizzas always look good too. The chutneys are needed for extra flavor, but they don't compare to a real Indian restaurant.

WashDel is a great pizza option, although I think the prices have gone up...it's $6.50 for two slices. Still a great deal, considering the other pizza options in the area.

I have settled into a comfortable rhythm of N&B visits where I always get the same thing: a side of Chicken Biryani, a Veggie Samosa, and an order of their chips. $6.05, and absolutely stuffed and happy afterwards. The mint chutney on the samosa is perfect, and the biryani is herbal and earthy. The chips can be hit or miss, but even when they're on the soggy side, the cayenne punch makes them better than anything available out of a bag.

WashDel is a great pizza option, although I think the prices have gone up...it's $6.50 for two slices. Still a great deal, considering the other pizza options in the area.
I second (or third?) the Washington Deli suggestion. For those who prefer a lighter lunch, you can get a slice, a side salad and a soda for the same price of $6.50. A good deal, and the slices are delish!

They also have awesome soups...their chicken noodle is my comfort food when I am having a shitty day at the office.

I second (or third?) the Washington Deli suggestion. For those who prefer a lighter lunch, you can get a slice, a side salad and a soda for the same price of $6.50. A good deal, and the slices are delish!

They also have awesome soups...their chicken noodle is my comfort food when I am having a shitty day at the office.

Their sandwiches are pretty good too. Nothing too special or unusual, but thought I'd mention it if someone is in the area and never gets past the pizza by the entrance (you order sandwiches up the steps in the back).

I am not usually in DC for lunch and will be in a training class for the rest of the week. I tried searching for a topic but had no luck. So what suggestions do you all have for my dining options? I figure that I will have around an hour at the most.

I am not usually in DC for lunch and will be in a training class for the rest of the week. I tried searching for a topic but had no luck. So what suggestions do you all have for my dining options? I figure that I will have around an hour at the most.
Mio can be pretty quick. Very close to the Korean lunch cart too. Naan and Beyond, Loeb's Deli, and this link for Lunch near Farragut Square.

Loeb's and TJ's are the two deli options I've tried in the area. Loeb's is the better and more expensive of the two, but they're both pretty awesome. The Korean bulgogi cart is right there at 14th. As far as sit down ideas, I think Mio's is right on Vermont just up from L? Aside from that I'm out of ideas...it's far enough away from my office that I don't get over that far very often.

Il Mulino is there, too, though I've never been. The Korean Cart could be fun just to see what everyone's talking about, but you would obviously need a spot to eat the stuff. Palette is at 15th and L. Ollie's Trolley is a possibility for an old fashioned Ollie Burger with their season fries. For reliable there's a Corner Bakery at Vermont and K.

I think the Juice Joint, which is on Vermont just south of L, has pretty good (and generally healthy) fare.
Juice Joint is excellent. I work on 13th and L and go there nearly everyday, and I never get bored of the selection. Roasting House across the street has fresh roasted chicken and turkey, too. Of course there are Corner Bakerys and High Noon, but I'm not a fan. The Korean Street Cart is on 14th and L.

Casa Blanca is right there, and very good. The arroz con pollo makes it a worthwhile dining experience. And, cheap. I also enjoy Juice Joint a lot, but that is not to say that there aren't any duds on that menu. Possibly Mio - I haven't been, but I'm thinking it may be possible to get in and out in an hour. I can't imagine that speed at Il Mulino. Otherwise, you have all the regular crappy places - au bon pain, high noon, corner bakery . . .

For cheap and good, my vote goes to Juice Joint (try the freshly grilled salmon salad with mango salsa and a smoothie) and the Roasting House (fresh turkey and big salads). Another cheap sit-down option that is only ok but is different is Bangkok One on L street east of Vermont. Sadly, Julia's Empanadas is closed now.

For a pricier and longer lunches, DC Coast (which I think is great) is around the corner and Georgia Browns is across the small park.

I haven't worked in the Farragut area for a year and a half, so some of these may have fallen, but I definitely recommend:

Naan and Beyond (one of my favorites)

Greek Deli

Cafe Asia

Nooshi

City Place Cafe (on 17th next to Caribou)

Wish I had read this thread sooner. I went to the Sunrise Cafe on 17th & L in between depositions, having mistaken it for the Sunrise Deli (which has its own thread, if I remember correctly). The "turkey reuben" seemed intriguing but turned out to be packaged turkey slices on a regular sandwich roll with a melted Velveeta-like substance and a nominal amount of sauerkraut.

We ended up getting smoothies from Robek's on another day, and I made the mistake of getting a tuna wrap -- when in doubt, when a menu says tuna and you're not in a moderately upscale restaurant, chances are that it will be canned. Blech. The smoothies were fine, maybe a step below Jamba Juice.

I have walked past an alcoholic beverages permit every day on my project on Connecticut, two doors down from Tiny Jewel Box. The restaurant is Mari Villa or something like that and it's to be Russian cuisine, I think. Does anyone have more info?

(Btw, I think Sushi Express on 19th and K St is a great place to get lunch.)