Takoma Park Market

JPW

First outing was last weekend to Takoma Park.

Pretty slim pickin's.

The good bread people and Keswick's Creamery are back.

Planning on starting my herb garden next week as I saw the hippy herb guy was well stocked (and no, I don't mean THAT kind of herb).

Any good farmer's markets in MoCo? Haven't been able to get to Dupont Sundays.
Takoma Park's Sunday market is very good. There are about 30 vendors. The Saturday market in SS has a couple of good vendors, but not a large number of vendors.

I do wish Takoma had a dairy vendor. Dairy and eggs are what keep me coming back to Dupont on Sundays.
We dont, sadly, have anyone selling fresh milk or cream, but we do have dairy and eggs at the Takoma Park Market!

Smith Meadows Farm sells eggs, as does Ferry Landing Farm and Apiary. My favorite eggs are from Highfield Dairy, (they are blue and green!) and he also sells goat cheese and goat and cow yogurt.

Keswick Creamy is at market with their cows milk cheeses and yogurt.

And last, but certainly not least, is Cherry Glen Farm and our seven varieties of fresh and soft ripened goat cheese, including fresh ricotta! :lol:

Ah, it seems there are more egg vendors. That's good. I am not a fan of Keswick, but might give the other cheese vendors a try. I'd really love a source for milk.
Does Penn Quarter have fresh milk? At this point, I'm pretty content with Penn Quarter on Thursday and Takoma on Sunday. We did venture down to Dupont this week around noon and it wasn't so bad but I did miss out on the "good" stuff that marauding herds had bought at the opening bell...

Winter brings some new vendors. Takoma now has a vendor selling milk, butter and goat's milk, plus flavored milk including strawbery, orange ceam, vanilla, root beer and of course chocolate. Thee richest chocolate milk I've ever had in fact. They also have a mushroom vendor, who sells very expensive but rather delicious selection of chantrelles, shitakes, royal trumpet and a few others. Also there is a vendor for bison meet (I haven't tried it) and boston bib lettuce, freshly picked with the roots still attached.

Winter brings some new vendors. Takoma now has a vendor selling milk, butter and goat's milk, plus flavored milk including strawbery, orange ceam, vanilla, root beer and of course chocolate. Thee richest chocolate milk I've ever had in fact. They also have a mushroom vendor, who sells very expensive but rather delicious selection of chantrelles, shitakes, royal trumpet and a few others. Also there is a vendor for bison meet (I haven't tried it) and boston bib lettuce, freshly picked with the roots still attached.

Same mushroom vendor as Arlington and DuPont? If so, they are worth the $$.

The Takoma Park Farmers Market is every Sunday, from 10am-2pm, year round.

Parking is fairly easy on the blocks in the neighborhood surrounding the market.

There are strict rules about the fact that the vendors cannot sell before 10am.

Is this on Saturdays, Sundays or both? And every week? When does it start? How is parking around there, too? How early do the vendors get going?

thanks!

We hit the Takoma Park, MD market this morning a tad late. But it was a bit of a let down. There was plenty of stuff to buy, but way more plants than I expected (at hefty fees!) and not enough actual produce (granted it is early in the season). They did have a good meat purveyor with lots of free-range and grass fed beef, pork, veal and free range cage free chickens. A milk producer was there with yogurts, milk and chocolate milk (there was not a milk producer at Silver Spring so this was nice), which was nice and a couple of small cheese producers. I also found it curious that the vendors already had tomatoes to sell - these are either greenhouse tomatoes or decidedly not local tomatoes.

One turn off, for me (and I know I am in the decided minority on this), is that Takoma Park's market was overrun with kids, toddlers, babies and the families schlepping them around. Why is this a problem? Well, the layout of the market has these stantions with chains attached to them, making the walkability of the market difficult at the outset. Add families schlepping around baby or babies or fussy toddlers in primarily strollers makes for a people traffic jam mess and took a lot of the fun out of it for me. Maybe I just need to go earlier. <sigh> YEs, I guess I am a Scrooge.

Still, so far I think I prefer Silver Spring. I will try to hit Dupont's farmers market soon.

Takoma was seriously packed this morning at 10:30--I can't remember having such a hard time finding a place to park.

I did wonder if they had changed some part of the layout this year because I don't remember it being so hard to navigate before with the stroller and this is my third season of navigating various markets with the stroller. (Even when he was small enough for baby-wearing, the stroller came with us for package schlepping.)

We bought milk, asparagus and even more strawberries to appease the toddler. Truthfully we didn't need anything but we were up early but not enough to get to Dupont before we needed to be elsewhere. And I like the idea of BLToddler seeing all the various markets.

As a vendor, I didn't think the market was particularly busy this morning...

That said, I think that part of the perceived space crunch is the recent addition of benches in the center "square" of the market space.

The city added these in the past two weeks, and, while lovely for lounging when the market it not open, they occupy quite a bit of the space that people used to stand around in during market.

One turn off, for me (and I know I am in the decided minority on this), is that Takoma Park's market was overrun with kids, toddlers, babies and the families schlepping them around. Why is this a problem? Well, the layout of the market has these stantions with chains attached to them, making the walkability of the market difficult at the outset. Add families schlepping around baby or babies or fussy toddlers in primarily strollers makes for a people traffic jam mess and took a lot of the fun out of it for me. Maybe I just need to go earlier. <sigh> YEs, I guess I am a Scrooge.

A lot of the people schlepping babies and toddlers live in our neighborhood and many of them walk to the market. It's one of the main places people in our town get together, and they are teaching their kids to value good food and shopping locally. So yeah, it's probably a PITA for people driving in from other places, but on the whole, I'd rather see the kids there.

Scott took our kids this morning, and they got milk, a lavender sachet, and plants.

A lot of the people schlepping babies and toddlers live in our neighborhood and many of them walk to the market. It's one of the main places people in our town get together, and they are teaching their kids to value good food and shopping locally. So yeah, it's probably a PITA for people driving in from other places, but on the whole, I'd rather see the kids there.

Just to be more specific.....I don't think it makes a spit of difference if I had walked there or driven there, I think I would have been just as put off by the traffic jamminess caused by the layout and plethora of strollers (and people in general). I generally prefer things less crowded is all, or at least a bit of space to move around in.

I think we got some lettuces there that made for a really nice salad last night to go on with avariation on Peruvian chicken we made on the grill....

We hit the Takoma Park, MD market this morning a tad late. But it was a bit of a let down. There was plenty of stuff to buy, but way more plants than I expected (at hefty fees!) and not enough actual produce (granted it is early in the season).
I have never gone to the Takoma market, but I wouldn't begrudge the market for this. Just the time of year. It's still spring and pickins' are still slim, though I don't have a problem with the choices I have, especially since farmers around here rely on tunnels and greenhouses when there's just a little coming out of the fields.

Certainly can't complain when there are so many strawberries and when they are so, so good! Since we didn't have last year's unceasing rain, the flavor's more intense.

As a vendor, I didn't think the market was particularly busy this morning...
Over at Dupont Circle, there were a gazillion and five. Bet half were tourists, just looking and pushing their strollers... :D

I have never gone to the Takoma market, but I wouldn't begrudge the market for this. Just the time of year. It's still spring and pickins' are still slim, though I don't have a problem with the choices I have, especially since farmers around here rely on tunnels and greenhouses when there's just a little coming out of the fields.

Certainly can't complain when there are so many strawberries and when they are so, so good! Since we didn't have last year's unceasing rain, the flavor's more intense.

Over at Dupont Circle, there were a gazillion and five. Bet half were tourists, just looking and pushing their strollers... :D

I plan on hitting the Takoma market again in July sometime, for sure. Always worth a look. I have to say though, the strawberries we got at the Silver Spring market were decent, but not outrageously good. Still a little white if you ask me. I hope to go pick my own soon. And, I really look forward to the few handsful I will pick from my backyard. heh heh heh