Dupont Circle FreshFarm Market - 20th St. & Massachusetts Avenue NW

What I find odd is just how un-farmer most of the local farmers markets are locally -- they seem too yuppified to me, and you often seemingly do not get to meet the farmers themselves (or someone involved in some way in their farm) but rather so many aggregators of products of other local farmers. Ah well, it was still a good experience.

Really? I find this comment odd, as most of the stands I frequent, especially at Dupont, are the farmers, charcuterie maker, pasta roller, egg farmer or seafood vendor themselves. Explain more please?

Really? I find this comment odd, as most of the stands I frequent, especially at Dupont, are the farmers, charcuterie maker, pasta roller, egg farmer or seafood vendor themselves. Explain more please?

Perhaps referring to EcoFriendly? I would say to have a chat with Red Apron, or Everona or Keswick. Passionate and amazing folks who are the ones rolling up their sleeves and doing the nitty gritty.

Perhaps referring to EcoFriendly? I would say to have a chat with Red Apron, or Everona or Keswick. Passionate and amazing folks who are the ones rolling up their sleeves and doing the nitty gritty.

Well, given that Bev is there most weeks - I'd say EcoFriendly definitely has "passionate and amazing folks who are the ones rolling up their sleeves and doing the nitty gritty".

Well, given that Bev is there most weeks - I'd say EcoFriendly definitely has "passionate and amazing folks who are the ones rolling up their sleeves and doing the nitty gritty".

I was referring to EF aggregating....not that they're not doing hard work and certainly not that they lack passion. Quite the opposite. I was just suggesting a few producers to chat with, not leaving EF out.

Sorry for my lack of context.

The comment from Poolboy seems odd to me since it applies to all markets in the city. One of my highlights last year was getting to know farmers at both the 14th & U and Columbia Heights markets. I know farmers frequent their booths at Mt. Pleasant too.

Poor Poolboy as we all try to guess what he meant.

My guess: why are there so many prepared food vendors at the market? Dolcezza, Red Apron, Copper Pot, 2 bakerie and Chris' Marketplace come to mind. Why is their a soap vendor? And two flower vendors?

I spent money at of the prepared food vendors at one time or another. But I would much rather see that space devoted to more actual farmers.

My guess: why are there so many prepared food vendors at the market? Dolcezza, Red Apron, Copper Pot, 2 bakerie and Chris' Marketplace come to mind. Why is their a soap vendor? And two flower vendors?

I spent money at of the prepared food vendors at one time or another. But I would much rather see that space devoted to more actual farmers.

I respectfully disagree. The best farmers' markets are a community gathering place, not just a place for cooks to buy good vegetables and eggs from the people who grew them. There are lots of people who don't cook. Or who enjoy fresh flowers. Why not invite them to the fair to buy directly from the growers/producers? And lots of farmers have discovered that they can finally earn a decent living with small-scale value added production: Clear Creek Creamery and Keswick's yogurt and cheese; Mark Toigo's tomato sauces and bourbon peaches; Sunnyside Farm (W.V.) has built a commercial kitchen in order to produce lots of take-home prepared foods to sell at the market. What I think is missing, and I've said this lots of times, is what the best farmers' markets in California have--food carts and booths where people can buy hot food to consume onsite, if they wish. Lots of people come for lunch, and maybe will stroll around and buy things from the farmers that they would otherwise have gotten at a grocery store. Live music, families with kids, good vibes and lots of energy--that we've got. Add a plate of tacos, some Asian noodles, bbq, flatbreads, kebabs, ahh, now that would be a magical gathering place.

^^

Agree with Zora on the importance of diversity. I especially feel that our markets need food vendors. If you're not in the mood for baked goods, your SOL.

How about some coffee, too?

It's been a while since I've been to the Headhouse market in Philly, but I enjoyed Sweet Lucy's BBQ and Tacos al Pastor first thing in the morning.

Perusing over at CH and I saw a couple people mentioning that they couldn't get "foraged" morels at the mushroom stand at Dupont. It seemed to be a DC regulation or the like. Anyone know about this? I'm ready to make my braised chicken with morels!

Perusing over at CH and I saw a couple people mentioning that they couldn't get "foraged" morels at the mushroom stand at Dupont. It seemed to be a DC regulation or the like. Anyone know about this? I'm ready to make my braised chicken with morels!

To answer my own question-- a quick check back to this thread on CH shows a response from Laura, at the market, regarding the Mushroom Stand. It seems as though they could not sufficiently guarantee the provenance of some mushrooms, including morels. It has nothing to do with them being foraged in the wild, and that we should expect other local producers, such as Spring Valley, to have them.

dogmeetspoundcake-1.jpg

Beautiful morning at the market--got there as the bell rang. I have to say that I like the new layout and think that it will relieve congestion when the crowds go full tilt. My only reservation is seeing people engrossed in their marketing, and not paying attention to the light as they cross the street. I had to keep reminding myself to pay attention because previously, once you're in the market, you're in and could explore the entire place without worry of car traffic.

Mr. MV, Tucker and I shared an Atwater cherry and almond scone, also picked up Keswick feta, havarti and 6 eggs (yay!), nettles from Next Step, escarole and Italian parsley (really like a hybrid of flat and curly--very tasty) from Tree and Leaf, and a rack of lamb from EcoFriendly.

redapronsignage-1.jpg

Beautiful morning at the market--got there as the bell rang. I have to say that I like the new layout and think that it will relieve congestion when the crowds go full tilt. My only reservation is seeing people engrossed in their marketing, and not paying attention to the light as they cross the street. I had to keep reminding myself to pay attention because previously, once you're in the market, you're in and could explore the entire place without worry of car traffic.

Mr. MV, Tucker and I shared an Atwater cherry and almond scone, also picked up Keswick feta, havarti and 6 eggs (yay!), nettles from Next Step, escarole and Italian parsley (really like a hybrid of flat and curly--very tasty) from Tree and Leaf, and a rack of lamb from EcoFriendly.

Do you happen to remember what other vegetables vendors had last week? Looking to go this weekend and wonder if there will be much besides Asparagus.

Do you happen to remember what other vegetables vendors had last week? Looking to go this weekend and wonder if there will be much besides Asparagus.

There was a lot of things coming into season...I'm thinking nettles and ramps. Carrots, turnips, all kinds of greens. Spring Valley should have morels in a couple weeks, and of course rhubarb should show up soon. It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Spring!

There was a lot of things coming into season...I'm thinking nettles and ramps. Carrots, turnips, all kinds of greens. Spring Valley should have morels in a couple weeks, and of course rhubarb should show up soon. It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Spring!

Tra la la! I'm going to update the seasonal report forthwith.

In retrospect, $17 is a stupid amount of money to pay Eco-friendly for two marrow bones, each approximately the length of an extended middle finger and circumference similar to the fat end of a pool cue. Kind of sums up the overlap between allegedly "sustainable" agriculture and trophy foodstuffs.

On the other hand, Mrs. B did have the good idea of bringing them to the bodega around the corner and tipping the butcher to bandsaw them open and, Zach's parsley ('the healthiest thing there is") -- in combination with shallots and capers made a fine topping.

I drool over EcoFriendly's stand, but rarely get anything from them because the prices are so high. I understand that good, well-raised meat should be not-cheap, but the prices seem really high to me. What do other people think about their prices?

I drool over EcoFriendly's stand, but rarely get anything from them because the prices are so high. I understand that good, well-raised meat should be not-cheap, but the prices seem really high to me. What do other people think about their prices?

I think the prices are high*, no doubt. I do shell out the money occasionally because their products are good. I can't see buying all my chicken there when I can get it at my local market for a mere fraction of the price, but I sure have enjoyed EF's cornish hens (poussin?) once in a while. I have another rack of lamb in my freezer because they were marked incorrectly and a couple bucks cheaper per pound. At $28/lb, I can't do it on a regualr basis.

One of the best deals they have is their loose sausage. I have a pack of their spicy hot pork sausage in my fridge that I am going to sear up and toss with penne and marina. About $7-8 worth provides a meat sauce to dress a pound of pasta.

I agree and support their mission and think they're super folks, but the prices high and it's a real treat to buy from. Not the norm and I don't think I'll be buying a heritage turkey at $80 any Thanksgiving soon.

Another plus is that they carry meats that are not found in my Safeway, like goat and rabbit.

*It's kind of the elephant in the room, isn't it? EF is doing something terrific, but it's out of most people's reach and that's the fact, Jack.

At the same time I bought the marrow bones I also picked up some lamb shoulder steaks. Bone-y and fatty, they are nonetheless tasty and (relatively) inexpensive. I have to be in the mood to shop there, but sometimes....

I support their mission, but I can't afford to shop there with two pre-teens and a single parent's budget. That's true of the market in general - my kids can eat $20 of fruit & vegetables a day. For me, that's not sustainable and the reason why I go maybe once a month instead of every Sunday like I used to.

I'm also busy, and accidentally letting $30 worth of chicken go bad because I got home too late to cook doesn't work for me either.

This Sunday marks the first day that shoppers with government benefits for food will be able to shop at Dupont Circle, receiving $10 extra, free, each day they visit the farmers market.

Those with EBT/SNAP cards [formerly "food stamps"], WIC vouchers or Senior Nutrition Program benefits for farmers markets should look for a tent set up at the corner of 20th St. and Q St, NW, in the entrance of the brick building (Public Citizens). This is the new, northern part of the farmers market where you find orchids, The Egg Man, Quaker Valley, Red Apron, Atwater's (including rye bread), Smith Meadows, and the new composting service, Compost Cab.

I heard that the very cool hunter, fisherman slash forager whose blog provided my favorite venison recipe, Hank Shaw, is sadly ill and so the Chef at Market event I was eagerly anticipating is cancelled. Everyone, take care of yourself so you don't get sick, too. Eat kale!

There should be some at the market along w deconstructed grape jelly (concord grapes) at Quaker Valley and maybe figs at Country Pleasures. Last of the peaches are surprisingly not all that bad (at least not mealy) and there still should be green beans at one or two places before all the dark hearties take over the world. So grab some groceries and then head around the corner to check out Shophouse for lunch where there really were long beans opening week since Nate Appleman was buying food at market last Sunday and Tree & Leaf was selling some. (Next Step Produce sometimes carries them, too.)

Well, I suspect the egg guy's ducks won't give us eggs until next spring, which makes me very sad. But eco-friendly has a giant slab of bacon that they're willing to sell for $250. Nick looked longingly at it, but we left it as a prize for some other bacon fiend.

They should talk to Robin about getting into 14th and U or Bloomingdale's. Getting into Dupont is like hitting the jackpot, especially since they already have one charcuterie master. It's easier to get into the smaller markets and build up their customer base.

If they need guinea pigs to try their product let me know. I am always willing and able to try new charcuterie.

P. S. Siri recognizes the word charcuterie.

How does someone go about getting a regular stall at Dupont Circle Farmer's Market?

What other farmer's markets should a budding charcuterie God get his hands into?

The 14-UP district ? U Street?

Not in the city, but I am a huge advocate for Greenbelt's Farmers Market, Sunday mornings 10-2 (through the Sunday before Thanksgiving). And there is currently no one selling charcuterie so it's a niche that needs to be filled there. Applications are available on their website, but I'm happy to give more info as well (I've volunteered for them although I've not been as active recently due to other commitments). The only other market in the area that I think is comparable is Riverdale on Thursdays.

And referring to a post a few back, it's got coffee and crepes (and warm empanadas). :)

I didn't have time to look closely at all of their prices while there on a rare trip this Sunday, but I did grab a package of prosciutto and it was damn good. I tend to skip the prosciutto on the charcuterie plate, just doesn't do it for me anymore, but as I was frying some up for my pumpkin gnocchi, I couldn't help eating a few slices so at least I paid out the wazoo for something good. :)

ETA: But the same goes for the $14/lb bacon I bought from Red Apron. Delicious, but I won't spend that much again. I didn't realize until after I had paid for it.

How does someone go about getting a regular stall at Dupont Circle Farmer's Market?

What other farmer's markets should a budding charcuterie God get his hands into?

As a former farmers marker worker: exactly what Hillvalley said.

Everyone wants in to the big, popular markets, and it is virtually impossible to get in.

Also, he should be applying now for the summer markets.

food prices are really high these days and i am beginning to notice. my first purchase sunday morning: a medium cauliflower, two pounds, and a spear of broccoli with a head as wide as a hand cost $10.

Organic or merely bio-diversely farmed :lol: ?

That's maybe 2 3/4 lbs. of fresh, just-picked produce at around $3.33 a pound grown on a small, local farm that supports a family with a single source of income---the crops it grows--plus pays salary for ______ of workers, some year-round employees, depending on the farm, mortgages, seeds, machines, cars, electricity, water, repairs, health care, college funds, more seeds because the first plantings got washed away, tools, gas, tents, salaries of those who work at the market, chocolate upon occasion plus other groceries, modern conveniences you enjoy, only fewer, some travel, though, again, depending on the farm, vacations are rare. Then there are storms that cause over what was it, around $75,000 loss of tomatoes alone during the week of rainstorms AFTER the strong winds of Irene, or in the case of another farm nestled in a valley, fields upon fields completely flooded, and therefore the loss of entire crops that were almost ready, let alone the strawberry plants being prepared for next spring, thus the scarcity of Brussels sprouts, utter disappearance of Romanesco at this market at least which ought to be causing smiles right about now, the 75% climb in the cost of plastic for ground cover, the burst pipe, the expertise of growers whose knowledge and experience deserve our respect, the destruction of the new greenhouse....

That's maybe 2 3/4 lbs. of fresh, just-picked produce at around $3.33 a pound grown on a small, local farm that supports a family with a single source of income---the crops it grows--plus pays salary for ______ of workers, some year-round employees, depending on the farm, mortgages, seeds, machines, cars, electricity, water, repairs, health care, college funds, more seeds because the first plantings got washed away, tools, gas, tents, salaries of those who work at the market, chocolate upon occasion plus other groceries, modern conveniences you enjoy, only fewer, some travel, though, again, depending on the farm, vacations are rare. Then there are storms that cause over what was it, around $75,000 loss of tomatoes alone during the week of rainstorms AFTER the strong winds of Irene, or in the case of another farm nestled in a valley, fields upon fields completely flooded, and therefore the loss of entire crops that were almost ready, let alone the strawberry plants being prepared for next spring, thus the scarcity of Brussels sprouts, utter disappearance of Romanesco at this market at least which ought to be causing smiles right about now, the 75% climb in the cost of plastic for ground cover, the burst pipe, the expertise of growers whose knowledge and experience deserve our respect, the destruction of the new greenhouse....

wow, that's worse than i thought!

(actually, prices at the market are easily competitive with whole foods prices, and the quality and variety of the food is vastly superior, even after natural devastation, although i would have liked romanesco to accompany the broccoli and cauliflower. even so, enough fruits and vegetables for about a week's worth of meals for two people rang up at more than $140 at the dupont market. i'm sure there are many good reasons for it, but the prices are really getting up there.)

the sign for the $9 a pound regular sized green beans at the dupont market said they were delicious. i can't imagine any green beans being that delicious, and i wonder who would buy them at that price.

$1.99 a pound second tomatoes were a good deal, though. and one stand was being extra generous with its celery.

nobody around these parts appears to have thai watercress, which can be found in the nibble basket accompanying the small ultra-controlled rounds of delicious food at little serow. anyway, it is especially hot and spicy, and i hope word gets around and a local farmer will look in to cultivating it.

(my mother is never going to be able to sit on the bar stools at little serow, which takes restaurants in washington to a different level, but she probably doesn't want to feel like she is wandering through a quentin tarantino movie anyway; in other words, she would not get this place at all. my only criticism is that they should turn down the music and change the selections. for a restaurant that seemed to me at first glance to be absolutely meticulous -- my wife thinks maybe the beautiful dresses the servers were wearing were custom-made -- this is really experimental territory, right up there with the early days of comet ping pong and keeping close company in some ways with ripple and eola. of course, you do have to pay top dollar to enjoy the mood that is being provided.)

Yes, Ms or Mr Charcutier can email me and I can tell them about various markets.

brusseltops-1.jpg

Gorgeous morning, punctuated by sadness at the sight of the empty space where Buster's usually stands. Mr. MV and I wrote a condolence note for Paige and saw her being comforted by many people on the lawn.

Red Apron- leg of duck confit, guanciale ( got me in the mood for Carbonara, along with eggs below)

Creekside Farm- eggs

Tree and Leaf- mezuna

Keswick- fetas, Vermeer, pimento cheese

Spring Valley- Kabocha squash (soup probably)

EcoFriendly- ground rose veal (destined for meatballs)

Time to change the heading again: 8:30 am to 1 pm.

Back: Clear Springs Creamery returns for its third week this year. Four Seasons, the West Virginia plant guy at the corner of Q St. NW and 20th St. with lots of potted herbs, starters and flowers. Harmony Creek, the soap makers. Gardener's Gourmet with Cinda's galvanized buckets of green leaves and bundles of herbs.

It's the first Sunday when three out of five of the organic produce farmers will be back together: Next Step, Tree & Leaf and Farm at Sunnyside, with New Morning returning in May and Country Pleasures just a bit earlier.

Wollam returned last week and Anchor Nursery some time before that, so Farmhouse Flowers is no longer the only place to go for flowers.

The big to-do for the 11:00 (approximate) Chef at Market event: the annual spring lamb on a spit to launch Zaytinya's Greek Easter. Given how long it took last year, the crew's planning on arriving between 6 and 7 AM along with the dedicated farmers and market staff.

Last week in the Thursday design section inserted into The Washington Post I read a column by a property owner who harvested small dandelion leaves from his lawn to serve as a salad and wrote that by picking them while still tender he avoided their bitterness. Then I read a spinach recipe -- I forget where, maybe in the Times -- where you were instructed what to do to avoid the natural bitterness of spinach. While there must be some truth in them, both of these observations belie my own experience.

The spinach sold the last two weekends in April at Gardener's Gourmet -- across from the stands of Toigo and Heinz Tomet -- was wonderfully sweet. When unexpected things happen to familiar vegetables, I never know whether to attribute it to the variety or the weather, or a combination of the two. Following a recipe for health from The New York Times I incorporated the expemplary spinach into a pie, the equivalent of a lighter-than-Julia Child quiche, and it was delicious. I probably did cheat by exceeding the recommended amount of gruyere, but not by much, and there is still a substantial amount of egg in the crust and filling, so I'm not sure what the cholesterol police would have to say about this if you prepared this dish week after week. But even when the spinach isn't running sweet, I don't associate it much with what's bitter.

As for dandelions, I have seen them at the market, but have been nibbling on the leaves since March along the three sections of the Billy Goat trail now that I have lost my job and don't seem to be able to find another or anything better to do with my time than wander along the river and leave my cares behind. Freshly picked dandelion leaves from along the Potomac and the canal are incomparable, succulent and tender in the early spring. But I have found them invariably bitter, even if sublimely so. That's one reason I savor them one at a time. I also move away from the towpath to gather them. Dogs are the reason for that.

As for dandelions, I have seen them at the market, but have been nibbling on the leaves since March along the three sections of the Billy Goat trail now that I have lost my job and don't seem to be able to find another or anything better to do with my time than wander along the river and leave my cares behind. Freshly picked dandelion leaves from along the Potomac and the canal are incomparable, succulent and tender, in the early spring. But I have found them invaribly bitter, even if sublimely so. That's one reason I savor them one at a time. I also move away from the towpath to gather them. Dogs are the reason for that.

In all seriousness, you may want to bring a little container of good olive oil, coarse salt, and fresh-ground pepper to dip them in. Hell, bring a sliced baguette, stuff it full of them, and use it as a dipping sauce for a sandwich aux feuilles de dent-de-lion (*). (You won't need vinegar because they'll already have sufficient acidity from all that beaver urine. Ah, the life of a vegan in nature!) :)

(*) Seriously, doesn't that sound good?

Giant Shrimp: What a beautiful post! (Don: I'd quote some of it but the one thing about this new version of Invision that challenges me is the 2 1/2 in.-tall box one has as a writing surface.)

I'm a little curious about why anyone would call spinach bitter, too. Perhaps different varieties are, or the tougher, mature leaves of that crinkly kind just before it's altogether too hot to grow spinach in fields.

Dandelion greens on the other hand.... You ought to go to the library and check out a copy of Hank Shaw's cookbook, Hunt, Gather, Cook which I fetched last night, turning off the lights moments after reading observations virtually identical to your own about the virtues of gathering the leaves of the ubiquitous weed. Should you feel especially industrious and know amateur winemakers who would be willing to loan essential equipment, Shaw has instructions for making your own dandelion wine. From what he writes, it is as memorable as the novel Ray Bradbury named after the home brew.

In all seriousness, you may want to bring a little container of good olive oil, coarse salt, and fresh-ground pepper to dip them in. Hell, bring a sliced baguette, stuff it full of them, and use it as a dipping sauce for a sandwich aux feuilles de dent-de-lion (*). (You won't need vinegar because they'll already have sufficient acidity from all that beaver urine. Ah, the life of a vegan in nature!) :)

(*) Seriously, doesn't that sound good?

Of course, pissenlit (piss-a-bed) is the usual French name of the dandelion.

Do vegans consume urine? I wouldn't have thought so.

VOLUNTEERS NEEDED FOR A BIG 15TH BIRTHDAY/ANNIVERSARY 3-8 PM especially, JULY 15TH (SUNDAY)

Call for FRESHFARM Volunteers at Dupont Circle...

As you can imagine, we will need lots of additional volunteer help on the 15th. It will be a great time! Please let us know if you are interested in working the party. We will likely have shifts between 2 pm until 9 or 10 pm that evening.

Please contact Meghan atmeghankehoe@freshfarmmarket.org if you are interested in helping us out on the 15th. Specific jobs will be assigned later in the month and a volunteer information sheet will be sent to you.

Excerpt from recent enewsletter of FRESHFARM Markets. There will be some good music provided by famous bluegrass musician-dad of Julie Stinar, Evensong's farmer (Tom Gray, Seldom Scene, etc.) and if you're not able but maybe have an energic, former vegetarian daughter home for part of the summer, there are chiller sounds provided by the folks who organize the annual festival for sweetgreens.

VOLUNTEERS NEEDED FOR A BIG 15TH BIRTHDAY/ANNIVERSARY 3-8 PM especially, JULY 15TH (SUNDAY)

Excerpt from recent enewsletter of FRESHFARM Markets. There will be some good music provided by famous bluegrass musician-dad of Julie Stinar, Evensong's farmer (Tom Gray, Seldom Scene, etc.) and if you're not able but maybe have an energic, former vegetarian daughter home for part of the summer, there are chiller sounds provided by the folks who organize the annual festival for sweetgreens.

If only the celebration were on the following Sunday. My formerly vegetarian daughter won't be back from Beirut until July 19th.