Dupont Circle FreshFarm Market - 20th St. & Massachusetts Avenue NW

Just a reminder since Chef Demos are rare at this time of year:

Odessa Piper will be at the Dupont Circle Market this Sunday, February 24, from 11 am until noon.

She'll be featuring a range of things shoppers might find at the market during winter:

Braises (pork especially)

Winter vegetables, roots and leaves

Apples and Cider

Al Dente, gonna be there, too?

Maybe, depends on how much work I have to do. A pork braise has my attention though!

I was at the market from 10 a.m. to 10:45 a.m. and there was nothing going on in the chef demo area.

Don't shoot the messenger. I showed up after 11 and demo was going strong, a veritable one-woman show with no need of assistance. Left around noon. Still maintain that Al Dente is a mythic beast.

I was at the market from 10 a.m. to 10:45 a.m. and there was nothing going on in the chef demo area.

I missed you by half an hour. I snagged the last jumbo lump crabcake from Chris's, bought some of the famous pork chops from EcoFriendly and a handsome pair of poussins. Good eatin' today!

This just in for Sunday, March 2:

~ Buster's Seafood has OYSTERS!

~ Need SOUP BONES? You'll find them at CIBOLA, CEDARBROOK and ECO-FRIENDLY FOODS.

~ Seasonal FOODS--all grown, raised, caught or produced right here in our Chesapeake Bay watershed region-- at market include Apples, Arugula, Basil, Beets, Bok Choy, Broccoli, Cabbage, Carrots, Cider, Edible Pumpkins, Kale, Lettuce, Frisee, Mesclun Mix, Mint, Mushrooms, Onions, Parsley, Pears, Parsnips, Potatoes, Radishes, Spinach, Winter Squash, Sweet Potatoes, Swiss chard, Tat Soi, Turnips, Pasture-Raised Meats (buffalo, chicken, goat, lamb, pork), Eggs, Cheeses, Butter, Yogurt, Breads, Brownies, Cookies, Granola, sweet and savory Pastries, Fruit Pies, Honey, Preserves, Horseradish, Mustard, Bloody Mary Mix, seasonal Soups, Crabcakes, Oysters, Clams and so much more!!

At market this week:Atwaters, Black Rock Orchard, Blue Ridge Dairy, Bonaparte, Buster's Seafood, Cedarbrook Farm, Chris Marketplace, Cibola Farm, Creekside Farm, Eco-Friendly Foods, Endless Summer Harvest, Farmhouse Flowers & Plants, FireFly Farm, Gardeners' Gourmet, Highfield Dairy, Mushroom Stand, Quaker Valley Orchard, The Farm at Sunnyside, Solitude, Spring Valley Farm & Orchard, Smith Meadows Farm, Sunnyside Farm & Orchard, Toigo Orchards, Twin Springs Fruit Farm, Virginia Lamb, Waterview Foods

(Just highlights. More details? Go to web site of FRESHFARM Markets, URL & link here somewhere, and sign up for weekly newsletters that arrive by email with announcements of upcoming events, pretty pictures and poems. This week's lines courtesy of Emily Dickinson.)

I was waiting at the Eco-Friendly stand before the bell rang this morning. Bruce arrived late (he's the dude with the shoulder-length grey hair) and greeted me with a whispered: "I've brought a few dozen eggs--shh, don't tell anyone. You want some?" Well, it's been many years since I purchased an illicit intoxicant, but the proffer was irresistable. They weren't duck eggs or araucanas, but I bought a dozen. Twenty-five yards away, I bumped into Waitman and Heather and promptly told them that Bruce had eggs to sell, but had told me not to tell anyone. So they rushed off, apparently to buy some for themselves. I'm tellin' you-- if you're gonna shop at Dupont, the early bird gets the good eggs, one of the four poulets rouges, not to mention a parking spot.

I was waiting at the Eco-Friendly stand before the bell rang this morning. Bruce arrived late (he's the dude with the shoulder-length grey hair) and greeted me with a whispered: "I've brought a few dozen eggs--shh, don't tell anyone. You want some?" Well, it's been many years since I purchased an illicit intoxicant, but the proffer was irresistable. They weren't duck eggs or araucanas, but I bought a dozen. Twenty-five yards away, I bumped into Waitman and Heather and promptly told them that Bruce had eggs to sell, but had told me not to tell anyone. So they rushed off, apparently to buy some for themselves. I'm tellin' you-- if you're gonna shop at Dupont, the early bird gets the good eggs, one of the four poulets rouges, not to mention a parking spot.

I bought dozen today (I'm assuming yours were free range chicken brown eggs?). I got there around 10:30-11:00 and a carton was on display at their table. I had never seen eggs for sale before at Eco Friendly, and it made a total of 4 places selling eggs. My eggs (from Eco Friendly) are marked from Sunnyside Farms and certified organic.

I've been interested in the talk about fresh eggs here on the board, and have previously bought a dozen from Tom, at the entrance of the bank lot. They were good, but I don't know...vastly different from the brown eggs I get as Safeway? I don't know.

Coincidentally today, I was on a quest to try another dozen fresh eggs. I wanted to do a comparison between eggs right from the market, and eggs from Safeway which have been in my refrigerator for over a week (perhaps more). Mr. MV and I did a side by side comparison of the eggs both in their raw state and a couple cooked states. I'll post the observations in the near future.

From Toigo, we got Gold Rush apples. Tart and delicious.

Also 2 rapini and 2 beef empanadas from Chris's Market, and cranberry sausage with buffalo and pork from Cibola.

eta: and teryaki jerky from Cibola that lasted until Pizza Paradiso on P. :mellow:

I have never been to the dupont market. Sounds like the best time to get there is 10 am. For a noobie, what are the best stands and is it worth going this early in the season?

By all means, come to the Dupont Market now--there isn't as much variety at this time of year, but it's less crowded than during late Spring and Summer. And there's still plenty of good stuff to buy. Some vendors are there in Winter only. Everyone who shops there regularly has favorite stands--I don't think it would be appropriate to single some out as "best." Some are strictly organic, some are conventional in terms of their use of fertilizers and pesticides. Some more expensive than others for the same items. It all depends what is important to you. The market's not that big--do the whole circuit and check out what's being offered for what prices, and then go back to buy what you want.

By all means, come to the Dupont Market now--there isn't as much variety at this time of year, but it's less crowded than during late Spring and Summer. And there's still plenty of good stuff to buy. Some vendors are there in Winter only. Everyone who shops there regularly has favorite stands--I don't think it would be appropriate to single some out as "best." Some are strictly organic, some are conventional in terms of their use of fertilizers and pesticides. Some more expensive than others for the same items. It all depends what is important to you. The market's not that big--do the whole circuit and check out what's being offered for what prices, and then go back to buy what you want.

I would say get there early, at or before opening, when the weather warms and the fruit and produce is in full swing. I do what Zora recommends, which is to scan all the vendors to see what they have as well as prices. Then, I can be more decisive about where I want to buy. Re: my little comparison of farm fresh eggs and supermarket brown eggs, I posted about it on dcfoodies.com. See "Great Eggspectations".

I have never been to the dupont market. Sounds like the best time to get there is 10 am. For a noobie, what are the best stands and is it worth going this early in the season?

There's not a whole in terms of vegetables right now, but you will still be able to find apples, root vegetables, hearty greens and some greenhouse lettuce. There's plenty of meat vendors. My personal favorites are poussin from Eco-Friendly, chops from the pork guy, sirloins from the lamb people (can't remember their names) and buffalo short ribs from Cibola. There's also a few cheese vendors and some other odds and ends. I still visit every week.

Early, only because things get sold out. Bring cash, too. Chris's jumbo lump crabcakes are great. Eco-Friendly are just that: very friendly folks with some amazing things to sell, poussins among them.

Dupont was a bit less crowded yesterday-perhaps the biting wind kept folks away. At any rate, lines were shorter but Next Step was there and that made me very happy :mellow:

I bought sunchokes and chard from Next Step. For our meatball slider dinner last night, I bought individual rolls from Bonaparte and fresh mozzarella from Blue Ridge. Both were excellent. Pain du Chocolate (sp?) also from Bonaparte had amazingly little chocolate.

Blue Ridge said the burratta is selling well and selling early. He brought 20 of them to Sunday's market and had 2 left when I spoke with him. I think I'll pick one up next week. Considering the cost of the Euro and how much is costs to import burrata fresh, I'm thinking $15 is not too bad, and will make a really special treat to enjoy.

In an act of redemption for those of you who got spam from Twin Springs this past week, the orchard just took its Gold Rush apples out of cold storage and was selling them at the market today.

FYI: Next Step Produce will be back next week. Absent this morning.

Wearing tastefully flecked apple green cashmere, red-headed market master was surrounded by a bevy of cute young things.

Lots of cabbages on display hither and yon, green and purple, too.

Yesterday the market had that small town feel to it. I ran into four different groups of friends, chefs and Rockwellers and chatted up a storm.

Zora, where were you? I picked up the now obligatory jumbo lump crabcakes at Chris's Market. The first soft-shell crabs of the season made their debut yesterday, also.

Yesterday the market had that small town feel to it. I ran into four different groups of friends, chefs and Rockwellers and chatted up a storm. <snip>Zora, where were you?

Well, I was making an early tour of the market, and Bernie rang the bell about 7 minutes before ten. I was done with my shopping and heading home about 40 minutes later. I had a nice chat with Paul, who was helping out at the Eco-Friendly stand, but apparently missed you and everyone else. Sometimes it doesn't work to be TOO early...

Well, I was making an early tour of the market, and Bernie rang the bell about 7 minutes before ten. I was done with my shopping and heading home about 40 minutes later. I had a nice chat with Paul, who was helping out at the Eco-Friendly stand, but apparently missed you and everyone else. Sometimes it doesn't work to be TOO early...

We must have crossed paths! I got to the market a few minutes after 10. I bought Keswick Italian herb feta, frisee and carrots from The Farm at Sunnyside, Toigo apples and cucumbers, dill and cilantro from Gardener's Gourmet.

Happy fruit salad with strawberries.

Though they may not be local,

they are spring.

Happy asparagus from Mexico.

They come huddled together

between blue rubber bands

like the Forty Martyrs of Sebasteia

thrown overboard and shivering

exquisitely to their deaths

in a Byzantine icon:

that graceful;

that thin.

Soon the asparagus

will come thick, glossy

and gnarled in tubs

at the market,

to be chopped

and sautéed with pancetta

and thrown into soup.

For now, let us praise

the resurrection of the apple

from cold storage.

Hallelujah to the parsnip

and the sweet potato,

and the ghostly bulbs

of Japanese turnips

with their pale green leaves:

So sweet, so new.

White as the garment

of the gardener

the Magdalen spied

beside the empty tomb

and reached for.

Touch.

For everyone who desperately misses Adam Cook's fresh milk, this good news arrived via the Fresh Farm e-mail newsletter:

Farmer News:

On April 6, we'll welcome a new farmer to our Dupont market. Clare and Mark Seibert of Clear Springs Creamery will bring their fresh MILK to market. This Maryland farm has 35 Jersey cows happily munching on pasture. The farm is Grade A certified for milk production and is in the process of transitioning to organic milk certification by 2009. In addition to fresh milk, they will bring a farmstead made camebert cheese, yougurt and eggs from free-range hens. One more reason to love our Dupont market!

I saw this in my email and wanted to ask Zora and any other cheesemakers is the fresh milk makes a difference, or what else do you appreciate about using it? I recently got the New England cheese making kit and am ready to try my hand at it.

I saw this in my email and wanted to ask Zora and any other cheesemakers is the fresh milk makes a difference, or what else do you appreciate about using it? I recently got the New England cheese making kit and am ready to try my hand at it.

Back when I was making cheese, I appreciated being able to ask Adam anything about his process and get a straight, detailed answer. I'm sure some of the supermarket milk is fine for cheesemaking, but I wanted to know exact details for homogenization, pasteurization temps, etc. And then there's the "happy cows make better milk" theory.

Sorry I missed this post until today--absolutely, the freshness and taste of the milk makes all the difference in the world, especially in fresh cheeses. The less processing the better. Avoid ultra-pasteurized milk. It cannot be used for cheesemaking. Unfortunately, we are unable to buy raw milk in DC, but it can be found in Pennsylvania. The finest European cheeses are made with raw milk. Meanwhile, creamline pasteurized milk from local farms is the best of what is available to those of us who make cheese in our city kitchens. Some Whole Foods stores carry goat milk (Albert's, from PA) which is lightly pasteurized. Avoid Meyenberg goat milk, which is ultra-pasteurized. Goat milk is naturally homogenized, although the cream will rise to the top on its own, after a few days.

Dupont Market was lightly attended at nine this cold, rainy morning. It may take shoppers a week or two to adjust to the return to the 9 a.m. opening time. Clear Spring Creamery was there, as promised, selling whole milk, chocolate milk and eggs. After the paucity of eggs during the winter months, the market had an abundance of eggs for sale this morning. Green garlic available here and there. Bev Eggleston was selling pork from three different breeds of hog, each one identified on the label. Anyone up for doing a comparative pork-breed tasting?

Anyone up for doing a comparative pork-breed tasting?

If he's still got 'em in a few weeks, I'm game. This week is tough, since on Tuesday I'm getting an entire pig delivered from Cedarbrook. The current plan is to cure the hams (one for a long time a la prosciutto), make sausage with the shoulders, bacon with the belly, head cheese with the head and trotters, and then roast the midsection (possibly stuffed). Organ plans: tbd. Joy: unbridled.

If he's still got 'em in a few weeks, I'm game. This week is tough, since on Tuesday I'm getting an entire pig delivered from Cedarbrook. The current plan is to cure the hams (one for a long time a la prosciutto), make sausage with the shoulders, bacon with the belly, head cheese with the head and trotters, and then roast the midsection (possibly stuffed). Organ plans: tbd. Joy: unbridled.

Wow. You are going to be BUSY! Surely, you will want some of your friends and admirers here at DR.com to help you to eat some of this bounty.

Sorry I missed this post until today--absolutely, the freshness and taste of the milk makes all the difference in the world, especially in fresh cheeses. The less processing the better. Avoid ultra-pasteurized milk. It cannot be used for cheesemaking. Unfortunately, we are unable to buy raw milk in DC, but it can be found in Pennsylvania. The finest European cheeses are made with raw milk. Meanwhile, creamline pasteurized milk from local farms is the best of what is available to those of us who make cheese in our city kitchens. Some Whole Foods stores carry goat milk (Albert's, from PA) which is lightly pasteurized. Avoid Meyenberg goat milk, which is ultra-pasteurized. Goat milk is naturally homogenized, although the cream will rise to the top on its own, after a few days.

Dupont Market was lightly attended at nine this cold, rainy morning. It may take shoppers a week or two to adjust to the return to the 9 a.m. opening time. Clear Spring Creamery was there, as promised, selling whole milk, chocolate milk and eggs. After the paucity of eggs during the winter months, the market had an abundance of eggs for sale this morning. Green garlic available here and there. Bev Eggleston was selling pork from three different breeds of hog, each one identified on the label. Anyone up for doing a comparative pork-breed tasting?

It was great to see our own Anna Blume, wearing a jaunty red baseball cap, in her new job as Market Co-Manager.

Thank you for your input, Zora. I did go today and shied away from the milk due to the price-I wasn't quite prepared for $5.50 a half gallon. But, there's always next week to begin my cheesemaking-I might as well do it right!

Any thoughts on when we will see the first asparagus?
Each year is different, but it will most likely be at the very end of the month, if not the first week in May.* I'll try to remember to ask someone at Penn Quarter this Thursday and report back.

According to Eli Cook at Spring Valley Farm, ramps should arrive next week. ;)

Rhubarb tends to appear in stalls before asparagus does. New Morning Farm will be returning to Dupont Circle in May and with Moie will come the bright red and pinkish green stalks.

*I kept a comprehensive food diary last year. Unlike the menus we complain about, I did not record the sources of my ingredients. However, I started to consume a lot of asparagus during late March and early April, but did not make my favorite asparagus soup until May 2 when, I am guessing, I bought the vegetable at the market.

I still don't understand why the farmers markets around the area so expensive. Please explain.... you cut out the middle man which has significant overhead and profit margins built into the product. I still pay the prices because, in general, the produce is better, but the cost does not justify the price being charged (besides the fact that we are dumb enough to pay such prices.) Farmers market used to be a friendly affair where you got to know your vendors, you chatted awhile, got samples, hung out and knew what was happening in terms of quality....now like everything else it's become a large business and less friendly (people seem to be impatient and pushing you to keep moving.)

I still don't understand why the farmers markets around the area so expensive. Please explain.... you cut out the middle man which has significant overhead and profit margins built into the product. I still pay the prices because, in general, the produce is better, but the cost does not justify the price being charged (besides the fact that we are dumb enough to pay such prices.) Farmers market used to be a friendly affair where you got to know your vendors, you chatted awhile, got samples, hung out and knew what was happening in terms of quality....now like everything else it's become a large business and less friendly (people seem to be impatient and pushing you to keep moving.)
I would guess that prices are high because 1) Making it as a small farm is very tough and they need to charge those prices to get by and 2) There are a lot of wealthy people in DC and they are charging what the market will bear. I would also guess that farmers don't have as much time stop and chat because there's usually a line of people waiting to buy their veggies. In my experience everyone at the market has always been friendly even if their stall is slammed. I agree that prices are high, but so is my rent, so is a meal in a restaurant, so is a pint of beer, so is ....

I am pretty new to the business (less than a week), and I hesitate to respond. I certainly cannot speak on the behalf of all farmers markets, let alone the non-profit organization where I work part-time.

Here's what I know:

*Cutting out both the distributor and the for-profit retail outlet is meant to increase the profits earned by farmers rather than help the consumer.

*Farming is very hard work with little opportunity to earn mega-bucks.

There is very little profit margin. Nature is cruel and the business is vulnerable. Last year, I believe, all the peaches in North Carolina froze thanks to an early warming spell followed by bitter cold. This area was relatively lucky and orchards lost only some of their fruit. However, how many years of drought have we had?

Irrigation systems help. Greenhouses and tunnels provide opportunity for year-long crops and sources of income on the east coast, but it is harder around here than in California, say.

Few fancy cars. Few opportunities for vacations. No truffle oil in the kitchen cabinet.

Cf. previous discussions here about the sad fate of Adam Cook, a third (?)-generation farmer who tried to transform his share of land in West Virginia into a dairy farm. Due to cost of herds, equipment that meets highly regulated federal standards, etc., etc., he had to take out substantial loans. At the same time, he could not demand prices high enough for the butter, milk, etc. he sold at market to survive, let alone move his young family from a trailer on the property. New loan officer came in. Didn't extend deadline. Forced closure. Adam Cook is now earning more teaching agricultural courses than he did as a farmer. He may actually be getting health benefits, too, unlike most farmers, let alone their field hands (hard to come by these days), vendors at market, or family members unless one spouse of a couple is working another job.

*Farmers charge more in Washington, D.C. than they do in Baltimore, MD because they can. Some goes for realty companies. Cf. my second point.

*This area vs. others? Again, someone w more expertise should answer, but Bernie Prince does a great demonstration of how little land is possible to farm, and due to increasing urbanization, available to farm. Any idea about how much local farmland has been lost to developers in the past 2-3 decades? Or why?

*Read Michael Pollan and others on the Farm Bill and lack of federal subsidies for so-called "speciality crops", i.e., fruits, vegetables, or animals. Cotton, soy, wheat, rice and corn get assistance period, even when not needed. Read Sam Fromatz on agribusinesses. No biggies around here.

*Some things are NOT more expensive at the farmers' market. In the thick of the growing season, drop by for heads of lettuce, bundles of Swiss chard, bunches of herbs. For example, a bunch of chard is at least twice the size of one you'll get at Giant or Whole Foods and costs less. In the fall and winter, apples cost less at the market than they do at the supermarket and there is simply no comparison re quality. You are often getting a better product.

*You got me. Open-air markets used to be a central part of our culture as recently as the 1950s. Supermarkets did a number on them as did the growth of the mall. Read Eric Schlosser (sp?) on cars, highways and fast food. I went to a really inexpensive outdoor market in St. Louis, but bought bananas and oranges there. Not local food. Coming from the same source that my supermarket purchases came from, in part, but without the overhead, salaries, benefits, et al.

For a more persuasive argument, you need someone more knowledgeable in agriculture, cultural history and economics than I.

As far as atmosphere goes, I wonder if you might be happier with some of the smaller markets or earliest hours at the larger markets. In part, the success of some of the markets is what is changing the experience for you, though. That and the fact that it's hard to find more satisfactory digs for a greatly expanded market. Still better than Paris or dealing with some of those cross Florentine grandmothers elbowing you to the front.

Dupont Circle can get as many as 580 shoppers on a beautiful Sunday in June or September. You'll still find samples at some of the stalls and farmers who are there to put a friendly face on the food you buy--provided they can afford to hire enough help to handle the crowds, including shoppers who are waiting impatiently in lines, ready to give up if the line doesn't move quickly enough. (Provided the help shows up, too.)

At Penn Quarter, yesterday, it was an absolutely gorgeous day and the biggest crowd I counted was 82-strong. The only jostling I saw was around the Ovens at Quail Farm since the baker is very popular and sold out 2 hours before the market closed. There was a lot more time and space for leisurely exchanges.

Scored some cool stuff yesterday morning: Tuscan kale, baby (or more like embroyonic) beets with greens attached, and of course ramps. Despite my resentment over paying $6 for a fistful of weeds, the saute I made last night was excellent. The kale was very tender and the subtle kick from the weeds made them delicious. I also sauteed a bag of those beautiful mixed mushrooms and served them atop some quinoa.

I got a bunch of weeds too! Plus morels...at $21 for both, I felt the pressure to make something memorable. See the dinner thread for the results. PS...Anna, how did "chef at the market" turn out? I left at about 9:30 and didn't see anything going on..

I got a bunch of weeds too! Plus morels...at $21 for both, I felt the pressure to make something memorable. See the dinner thread for the results. PS...Anna, how did "chef at the market" turn out? I left at about 9:30 and didn't see anything going on..

So, the small bunches of ramps are $6 at the dupont market? i like ramps, but that's pricey! does anyone have any tips for less expensive sources of ramps, or whether they're available at any of the other markets?

thanks!

So, the small bunches of ramps are $6 at the dupont market? i like ramps, but that's pricey! does anyone have any tips for less expensive sources of ramps, or whether they're available at any of the other markets?

thanks!

Eli Cook quickly lowered his price, but only to $5 a bunch, offering 4 bunches for $16.

See the topic devoted to ramps elsewhere here at DR. Thing is, there are few opportunities for you or I to get ramps otherwise. Costs a whole lot more to travel to a ramps festival in West Virginia where you might not appreciate how they're prepared.

You're not allowed to pick ramps in national forests. Once plentiful and spread throughout the U.S.A. (Chicago gets its name from a Native American language: place of the stinky wild leeks), because of increasing urbanization, ramps are no longer common as weeds.

I've heard that there have been attempts to cultivate ramps, but don't know if that's how a company as large as Whole Foods has managed to sell them locally. A lot of us buzzed here in the past that we got ours free at WFM because none of the cashiers knew what they were or what the code was. Chances are that's not going to happen again.

In any respect, WFM may be less costly since it has more ways to deal with loss than a small, local farm does. Since ramps are wild, it means one of Eli's field hands has to go off into the woods to gather them (thereby discovering the patch of morels Eli sold for $5 less than the Mushroom Lady and a whole lot less than Whole Foods). Since they're fragile, any bunches left over at the end the day can't be preserved for sale elsewhere, especially since Whole Foods no longer has a backdoor policy, and as far as I know, hasn't hired a local forager or official liaison for farmers' markets in the area. Chefs have to pay a lot more than you do at Dupont Circle, according to one I spoke to last year, though Nora of Nora's chose not to purchase hers from Spring Valley Farm last year, either.

thanks!

Here's why:

Braised chicken thighs with morels, ramps, white wine and cream

2413300977_00c834c4cf_m.jpg

Stretched them even further by making ramp crepes (filled with the chicken above)which can be frozen. Still have a bunch left to toss with pasta and pecorino ;)

2413293639_7744f9024f.jpg

PS...Anna, how did "chef at the market" turn out? I left at about 9:30 and didn't see anything going on..
I gotta run, but may revise this post w a full report later. The guys were late since they were working in the kitchen until 12:30 after a busy Saturday night. But, man oh man was that one rosy pink, slightly fatty sliver of a month-old baby so, so good. Rush to Zaytinya, folk. They've got a spit up in the kitchen for suckling lamb (local--from Eco-Friendly) w a nod to Greek Orthodox Easter.

Once plentiful and spread throughout the U.S.A. (Chicago gets its name from a Native American language: place of the stinky wild leeks), because of increasing urbanization, ramps are no longer common as weeds.

Chicago Sun Times on Ramps

I know a place in Sheperdstown WV where you can find them growing wild. I'd like to organize an expedition of 8 or 10 people to go up there Saturday morning, pick 100 lbs of them, head back to DC, sell it all off for $3,000+, then hit Citronelle for dinner with our loot.

Who's in?

I know a place in Sheperdstown WV where you can find them growing wild. I'd like to organize an expedition of 8 or 10 people to go up there Saturday morning, pick 100 lbs of them, head back to DC, sell it all off for $3,000+, then hit Citronelle for dinner with our loot.

Who's in?

Let's go! If I find any morels, though, I'm not sharing...

Who's in?

Let's go! If I find any morels, though, I'm not sharing...

Road Trip!

I'm going to keep one eye on the ramps and one eye on Zora.

An one eye out for a little 'shine.

What is a ramp and what should I do with it?
Searching this site: Click and Click.. No info? Cf. Al Dente's link to an article in *Chicago Sun* above. Short answer: they're wild leeks (as mentioned here, somewhere, above) that herald spring. "Hope is a thing with feathers," wrote Emily Dickinson when she was probably thinking of the delicate, tapered leaves she saw protruding from wooded ground during her early morning walk in spring. They look like feathers. Ramps are around only for about a month, growing stronger in taste as April becomes May.

Wish I could go, but anyone else for the big annual festival? It's being held this Saturday, April 19.

Now, could someone please move Al Dente's call for a road trip over to Events & Happenings? It's a great idea.