Dupont Circle FreshFarm Market - 20th St. & Massachusetts Avenue NW

Well, since the most recent discussion here has been the high cost of ramps, I will note that Tom Sietsema reports the going price for ramps at one local kitchen is $15 a pound. That means Al Dente's foraging party would have to collect 200 pounds to be seated at the Chef's Table at Citronelle.

N.B. Frantic parents on Emancipation Day are invited to make this information into a math problem, thereby gaining approximately ten minutes of freedom.

Reference: "It's Waste Not, Want Less for Some Chefs," WP, April 16, 2008, p. F01.

Heads up you all:

No guarantees, mind you, but one of the guys who has been working for Spring Valley Farm & Orchards since he was twelve (!!) found gobs upon gobs of morels in the woods out in West Virginia.

Therefore, he was selling small containers of them for $12 each, 2 for $20 today at Silver Spring. Sold them quickly, but I imagine the rest will be loaded and sold by his sister to the Dupont crowd tomorrow, and knock on wood, perhaps at the same lower price.

Also, you might want to head directly to Quaker Valley Orchards. They had a limited supply of purple asparagus at Silver Spring. Let's hope they reserved some for Dupont since it's lovely.

Do you want to know a secret?

Do you promise not to tell?

Naaaaa.

I don't trust you all one single bit.

For now, I will merely say that power is coming to the people. What has been more or less the prerogative of chefs will become accessible to us peons.

Be patient. Three weeks, my friends. Only three more weeks...

But what about next week, with Lynn Rosetto Kasper and Odessa Piper doing the chef demo? That's pretty cool.
Thanks for bringing that up! Apparently the two know one another.

WAMU deserves a plug, too, since it's hosting a dinner on Friday, May 2 that is also connected to the radio host's book tour. As the link notes, her producer, Sally Swift, co-authored the new book, one related to our Dinner thread.

The asparagus was great got a bunch too - Picked up some lamb chops from Virginia Lamb and grilled them up - quick 3 minutes on each side and we had perfection.

I got some lovely asparagus and morels as well, in addition to some shockingly beautiful tomatoes, fresh eggs, chocolate milk, a buffalo ribeye steak, and a mini apple pie. I love springtime at the market!

If you have low expectations on the fruit and veggie front for the next 6-8 weeks you will not be disappointed.

Stick to your dairy, meat and carbs with a few greens thrown in and you can't go wrong.

I picked up some mozzarella at Dupont last week that was divine.

my low expectations have been greatly exceeded by toigo hot house cocktail tomatoes, an ahead-of-time taste of summer.

no nettles have shown up so far at the market, however; no pickers, i guess. but attached to the beets are beet greens as thick and good as you will ever find anywhere.

morels: 4 nice ones, but for $12, i must not really have wanted them enough.

I've never seen nettles at any of the farmers' markets I've visited.

And aren't likely to either. Nettles require handling with gloves when they are raw: the leaves are covered with tiny, prickly hairs which cause an itchy rash if touched with bare hands. Voice of experience here. Once they are cooked they are fine. Heinz sometimes sells lambs quarters, a wild green that makes a tasty potherb or salad when very young. They are a common roadside weed in this area, and they don't have stickers.

Cardoons? Are they in season-anyone seen them? I want to recreate the dish I had at Vermillion last week (cardoon gratin with bagna cauda).
Sign up for the weekly newsletter from the market!!!!! (ETA: Though I do apologize for punctuation if their presence was not noted. They've been around for 3 weeks, so not sure how much longer they might be expected.)

I'll bump up the relevant topic since Heinz is selling cardoons grown from seeds a friend of mine brought back from Italy when she heard I couldn't locate any. (Heinz had been experimenting w a different type that grows wild along roads in California. He says he saw one right next to Dupont Circle, too.)

Artichokes and cardoons grow and flower twice a year. According to my research, culture vs. nature dictates the fact that cardoons are associated with late fall and winter fare. Cf. Italian dishes. We don't have the ideal climate in the Northeast or Mid-Atlantic regions, but if Mario Batali's wife could supply him with cardoons from New Jersey, Next Step Produce can fulfill your needs, too.

Regarding nettles, yes, the prickly, itchy nature of the weed is something we were warned about as kids--and read about in a fairy tale about The Swan Maiden, though I lack Zora's venerable foraging experience. You'd think, though, if farmers were enterprising enough to sell wild plants that other deride as weeds, trimmings from their peach trees and arugula plants, they'd don thick gloves with the promise of $3 a bunch. Deborah Madison lists nettles as an ingredient in her cookbook devoted to American farmers markets.

And aren't likely to either. Nettles require handling with gloves when they are raw: the leaves are covered with tiny, prickly hairs which cause an itchy rash if touched with bare hands. Voice of experience here. Once they are cooked they are fine. Heinz sometimes sells lambs quarters, a wild green that makes a tasty potherb or salad when very young. They are a common roadside weed in this area, and they don't have stickers.

i have purchased them at the market before, a couple of times last spring.

also, i know where they grow along the billy goat trail but am reluctant to pick them because of fear of rangers. i don't think you are supposed to pick plants in national parks.

nina planck's mother was selling them.

I'll bump up the relevant topic since Heinz is selling cardoons grown from seeds a friend of mine brought back from Italy when she heard I couldn't locate any. (Heinz had been experimenting w a different type that grows wild along roads in California. He says he saw one right next to Dupont Circle, too.)

i am not always good at spotting things that are right in front of me, but i stopped by heinz's stand early yesterday morning actually looking for cardoons and didn't see any. do you have to ask for them? i found these a lot easier to cook than i had originally expected, and the last bunch i purchased from heinz last spring were much improved over when he first introduced them, so i assume his crop is better established. the leaves are poisonous, aren't they?

You'd think, though, if farmers were enterprising enough to sell wild plants that other deride as weeds, trimmings from their peach trees and arugula plants, they'd don thick gloves with the promise of $3 a bunch. Deborah Madison lists nettles as an ingredient in her cookbook devoted to American farmers markets.

It's not just the farmers who need to wear gloves, it's the buyers, too.

It's not just the farmers who need to wear gloves, it's the buyers, too.

long before i ever knew you could eat them, i learned about the sting of nettles just by brushing up against them when they are overgrown on trails. however, when i bought them at the market i was cautioned not to touch them and they were easily handled just be inverting the plastic bag into a pot of boiling water. i don't think they have had any this season because no one has wanted to go out and gather them. they sure know how to handle them at palena, where they pop up in the ravioli.

long before i ever knew you could eat them, i learned about the sting of nettles just by brushing up against them when they are overgrown on trails. however, when i bought them at the market i was cautioned not to touch them and they were easily handled just be inverting the plastic bag into a pot of boiling water. i don't think they have had any this season because no one has wanted to go out and gather them. they sure know how to handle them at palena, where they pop up in the ravioli.

I thought we were past nettle season. I was bummed about a month or so ago when I just missed the nettle soup at Eve. Perhaps there's a ray of hope that Chef Armstrong will be making it now...

I thought we were past nettle season. I was bummed about a month or so ago when I just missed the nettle soup at Eve. Perhaps there's a ray of hope that Chef Armstrong will be making it now...

i have been reading up a bit on these and saw that they come up again in the fall. i'm not sure if that is entirely the case around here. also, steaming is recommended over boiling, which supposedly makes them tast awful, although i have had good results boiling them the few times i have cooked them, only immersing them in the water until they go limp, which happens quickly. i haven't been getting out enough this spring to know whether they have flowered or not, at which point they are considered not good for eating. haven't seen them at palena this spring, either. next time i get my hands on some of these -- who knows when -- i will try steaming them.

Wow! You mean EcoFriendly will have center cut boneless pork chops for everyone?
My guess is milk-fed spring lamb. But what about next week, with Lynn Rosetto Kasper and Odessa Piper doing the chef demo? That's pretty cool.
Well, since no one has quoted their emailed newsletter, I'll add just the opening reminder and the info that verifies the producer who MS identified correctly and the fact that Zora wins the prize. Wish it were the item sold.
THIS Sunday, May 4: Lynne Rosetto Kasper at Market!...

At market this week: New Morning Farm returns to market this Sunday. Buster's Seafood is back at market with softshells and fresh caught fish. Clear Springs Creamery has Clare's Camembert. Twin Springs has Eggplant; Next Step has Cardoons; Tree & Leaf had Arugula flowers (quite tasty!). Endless Summer Harvest will continue to be at market all season. Eco-Friendly expects to have SPRING LAMB in two weeks.

Well the weatherman was wrong, wrong, wrong about rain, thank goodness. The first real warm, sunny Sunday the Dupont Market has seen this Spring, and the place was packed. I arrived moments after the bell rang, and Heinz Thomet's strawberries were already sold out. I got ramps, green garlic and asparagus and passed on the morels this week--the price had gone up from $10 to $15 a basket since last week. Ouch.

I am usually back home by 10 a.m. or there abouts, but today I stayed for the book signing and chef demo with Lynn Rossetto Kasper and her co-author Sally Swift and chef Odessa Piper. They made several different salads using a big variety of greens, bread, cheese and herbs currently available at the market. Lynn is a delight, her radio persona is exactly how she is--warm, funny, down-to-earth, and a font of foodlore. Odessa Piper had brought along a fabulous pantry of oils, vinegars, edible flowers and herbs from her planter boxes, hickory nuts from her freezer, apple cider reduction syrup. Lynn's best hint: a few drops of Asian fish sauce (nuoc mam or nam pla) in a vinaigrette. which isn't detectable, but adds umami. I bought the book yesterday and read most of it early this morning--the content is terrific, lots of themes and variations on ideas for simple suppers using healthy, fresh ingredients--lots of veggies, not much meat. I find the book design overly busy and distracting, with lots of different type fonts and point sizes on the same page. It's a bit hyper for my taste--I prefer simpler and calmer pages. But it is full of good ideas.

I arrived just before noon. Frank and I took all 3 of our dogs out for a romp at Gravely Point and on a whim, went into DC to pick up some sausage for a pizza tonight. Chef at Market looked very popular today-and I heard the chef talk about fish sauce and how long it can be stored. What a great idea about a vinaigrette!

I just got sweet and hot pork sausage from Eco-Friendly, and a few buffalo jerky sticks from Cibola. Frank was circling the car with the dogs, so I had to hurry, but the market had great energy today.

Could anyone point me to where (if anywhere) I could find parking reasonably close such that I could bring along an infant? Thanks.

That is the big challenge of the Dupont Market. There really isn't a place close by where you are guaranteed to find a place to park. The reason I go right at the beginning, is because fewer people are there and it is easier to find a space. I generally park near the Phillips Museum and walk a few blocks. Later on, it's a matter of luck.

That is the big challenge of the Dupont Market. There really isn't a place close by where you are guaranteed to find a place to park. The reason I go right at the beginning, is because fewer people are there and it is easier to find a space. I generally park near the Phillips Museum and walk a few blocks. Later on, it's a matter of luck.

Thanks. Are there any pay garages around?

Honestly, the only good parking advice I have is to get there well before the opening bell, park on a side street, grab a cup of coffee, and make the circuit around the market so that you know what you want to buy. That also allows you to position yourself to be first in line for whatever dainties are available in limited quantities.

I had to meet someone at the market at noon last Sunday, and at that hour there is almost nothing left worth buying.

Honestly, the only good parking advice I have is to get there well before the opening bell, park on a side street, grab a cup of coffee, and make the circuit around the market so that you know what you want to buy. That also allows you to position yourself to be first in line for whatever dainties are available in limited quantities.

I had to meet someone at the market at noon last Sunday, and at that hour there is almost nothing left worth buying.

Thanks.

The early birds got the strawberries this morning. I was waiting in line with two quarts before the bell rang, and wish I'd bought two more because they are sweet and delicious. My kids are devouring them. Also in the basket: lemon rosemary bread from Bonaparte (makes a super ham and swiss sandwich), lacinato kale, beautiful eggs from the goat cheese tart folks, milk and chocolate milk from Clear Spring, and japanese cucumbers, asparagus, and a flat of hothouse beefsteak tomatoes from Toigo Orchards.

I bought eggs and a feta sampler ($5-a terrific value) from Keswick, and rhubarb and ramps from NMF. I had $10 left and wandered over to Everona to get some cheese. $10 didn't touch the prices of their pre-cut cheeses.

Did anyone try their cheese?

I had $10 left and wandered over to Everona to get some cheese. $10 didn't touch the prices of their pre-cut cheeses.

Did anyone try their cheese?

Dr. Pat was giving tastes. I liked the Piedmont, and liked the Stony Man even better--it has a bit more age and depth of flavor. I got a nearly 1/2 pound piece of Stony Man for $12. Not something I can afford to do every week, but is an exemplar of artisanal farmstead chesemaking that deserves support. Vermont Shepherd costs the same--and they have to buy a lot of their milk from other farmers. This is really good aged sheep milk cheese being made in our own area.

The closest pay garage is probably the one on Florida Avenue just east of Connecticut (right by the Rite Aid).
There's a hotel just around the corner from the market on Massachusetts Avenue. I don't remember what it's called at the moment; it used to be the Embassy Row Hotel. Next to Mrs. Longworth's house. Anyway, they have a parking garage, which I've parked in not when going to the market but when dining at Obelisk, although it's been several years. I find the best free-parking opportunities on 21st Street and Hillyer Place. If it's worthwhile to walk several blocks (rather than taking Metro or whatever), there's almost always parking available right on Mass. Ave. in the block east of Sheridan Circle. I mean, on a Sunday morning there is.

The early birds got the strawberries this morning. I was waiting in line with two quarts before the bell rang, and wish I'd bought two more because they are sweet and delicious.

I guess... they're were pretty well none when we arrived post-early church service at 10:00. Lots of other good stuff, though I was excited for eco-friendly spring lamb, which was disappointingly MIA. As an Eastern Market local, I'd hesitated to stray from home, but sadly there's really no comparison, Eastern Market has lots of great people, but not so much great produce or protein these days... Gardener's Gourmet seems to be the only remaining overlap.

I guess... they're were pretty well none when we arrived post-early church service at 10:00. Lots of other good stuff, though I was excited for eco-friendly spring lamb, which was disappointingly MIA. As an Eastern Market local, I'd hesitated to stray from home, but sadly there's really no comparison, Eastern Market has lots of great people, but not so much great produce or protein these days... Gardener's Gourmet seems to be the only remaining overlap.
1) Cf. my original teaser. three weeks has not passed from date of the notice, I don't think.

2) Gardener's Gourmet had pea shoots. That means no English peas in pods, Waitman. Just the shoots. "Can't have both," says Cinda kindly to the city folk (me).

1) Cf. my original teaser. three weeks has not passed from date of the notice, I don't think.
No, but I thought Thursday's FRESHFARMS Market email was pretty clear that there was a reasonable chance.
At market this week: ... Eco-Friendly should have SPRING LAMB.
I guess I should have known better than to trust an official source like that when we have the inside scoop right here at DR.com!

Thanks. Are there any pay garages around?

I'm not sure I should give out my secret: but here goes. For the Dupont Farmers Market - or any Dupont Circle activity - park on Decatur Place, a one-way street approached from Mass Ave. It's a 5-7 min walk down Conn. Ave. eatwashington.com.

No, but I thought Thursday's FRESHFARMS Market email was pretty clear that there was a reasonable chance.

I guess I should have known better than to trust an official source like that when we have the inside scoop right here at DR.com!

We're all fallible--or too optimistic. Sadly, Bev won't have them as anticipated this weekend. (I ran into Bruce shopping at Penn Quarter today and he called Eco-Friendly.) You might drop by and express interest, though.

I gotta be honest. In all years in the area, I've only been to the Dupont market once, about 6-7 years ago. I was able to get there this morning with my wife and daughter by 9:00. I came away with ramps, Tuscan kale, sweet strawberries, red asparagus, pea shoots, fresh eggs, beets, French breakfast radishes, scones, beautiful cherry tomatoes, a mixed bag of wild mushrooms, sourdough bread and chocolate milk for about $70 total. What a great trip!

On top of that, my wife and daughter LOVED it. There's just a great energy at this market that seems to be missing from a lot of the other local farmer's markets that we frequent. Usually at other markets, they feel like they're just following me around shopping. Today, we were able to get samples of a variety of great products, talk to plenty of proud and knowledgable people behind the counters and my two year old was even shown a clever magic trick by the man selling eggs (didn't get his name)!

Absolutely worth the 20 minute drive from Arlington...and we parked less than a block away where there were still plenty of spots to choose from at 8:55.

I gotta be honest. In all years in the area, I've only been to the Dupont market once, about 6-7 years ago. I was able to get there this morning with my wife and daughter by 9:00. I came away with ramps, Tuscan kale, sweet strawberries, red asparagus, pea shoots, fresh eggs, beets, French breakfast radishes, scones, beautiful cherry tomatoes, a mixed bag of wild mushrooms, sourdough bread and chocolate milk for about $70 total. What a great trip!

On top of that, my wife and daughter LOVED it. There's just a great energy at this market that seems to be missing from a lot of the other local farmer's markets that we frequent. Usually at other markets, they feel like they're just following me around shopping. Today, we were able to get samples of a variety of great products, talk to plenty of proud and knowledgable people behind the counters and my two year old was even shown a clever magic trick by the man selling eggs (didn't get his name)!

Absolutely worth the 20 minute drive from Arlington...and we parked less than a block away where there were still plenty of spots to choose from at 8:55.

If you got the eggs from Waterview Foods that would be Tom Hubric-very nice man.

This morning, one of my two co-managers sent out a great report of this past Sunday's market including a link to a blog kept by Chef Vinod of Indique. His demonstration was truly one of our best, as Reg noted, in terms of presentation since a gorgeous array of spices brightened up an overcast, drizzly day.

We scurried around to add cilantro, greenhouse tomatoes and all sorts of onions to the display. Next time we'll have to remember yogurt. Perhaps eggplant in all sorts of colors, patterns and shapes...

It's not always easy to get food to the farmers and all their hard-working assistants, but another thing that I was grateful for was the fact that two of the three dishes were vegan (gotta feed Heinz!) and the third, bhelpuri (my absolute favorite), vegetarian. Word of the street snack from Mumbai got out quickly and we were rushed.

Given the cult of local food, it's a pleasure to forgo fanaticism and be reminded of our debt to the rest of the world by stirring fragrant spices into something we pick up at the market.

Here's the link to the blog with pictures: Entry on May 19, 2008.

N.B. Donrockwell is linked on the left-hand margin. :lol: