Eastern Market (1971) - Built in 1871, on 7th and C Street SE, Capitol Hill

A number of the inside merchants are out there on the weekdays, but they don't seem to be getting much business. I'm buying as much as I can there--at least several days a week, spread out around among the vendors--but the fact they have reduced stock works against them, in addition to everything else.

The city seems to be making good progress on the interim building. They were even out there working on Saturday.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Big Ole Bump!

I'm bumping up this thread to reming people that EASTERN MARKET IS STILL OPEN!!!!!! The vendors need your business now more than ever. Work on the temporary structure has begun but in the mean time the vendors are doing the best they can. Please come on down and spend a weekend morning there, your money will be greatly appreciated!

They've got 7th Street closed to traffic between C and North Carolina on the weekends, which I much prefer to dodging cars along there. It's hard to gauge how many people there are because of people being in the street and everything reorganized, but patronage seems down.

The art that is covering the boarded windows of the market is worth a trip on its own, for people who haven't seen it. There are some beautiful paintings there.

I got some mascarpone and ricotta from the Blue Ridge Dairy Stand on Saturday. I dont recall them being out at the "old" market, but maybe I just missed them. I get confused by people being in different locations than I'm used to, so I can't tell if they've just moved or they're new.

At another stand I got some wonderful baby arugula and spinach, plus some dill and parsley (I'm blanking on the name of the farm, but I believe they used to be kind of in the center under the shed--lovely salad greens.) I also found a stand I don't recall the name of that had squash with blossoms still attached. I made the stuffed blossoms over the weekend. He also had some good green beans and okra. The okra is going into the gumbo we're finally having tonight. (I've done it in stages because I keep running out of time.)

I got some PA cherries from Dan Donahue, and a couple of fill in items I was lacking from the Calomiris' (plus a free plum--getting that bonus piece of fruit again makes me smile). Picked up chicken both Saturday and Sunday (changed plans) from the Inmans for the gumbo.

The indoor produce merchants and sweet shop and some others are outside on weekdays. The Inmans are there Thursday through Sunday and Canales meats Friday-Sunday (got some pancetta I needed there last week--vacuum-packed but better than having to make a special trip elsewhere). The inside merchants have customized signs hanging at their outdoor spots, which gives some sense of normalcy.

I wish Union Meat would set up shop outside as the poultry guy did. As it is now, we need to go to Safeway (!) for our beef and pork which naturally encourages us to get other things there as well rather than making a separate trip to the Market for poultry and groceries. I'm looking forward to when the temporary hall is up and running.

I wish Union Meat would set up shop outside as the poultry guy did. As it is now, we need to go to Safeway (!) for our beef and pork which naturally encourages us to get other things there as well rather than making a separate trip to the Market for poultry and groceries. I'm looking forward to when the temporary hall is up and running.

I too miss Union Meat. In fact, I called the owner at his home and he explained to me that because of the large amount of equipment they require, the temporary quarters option won't work for them and they will have to wait until their original space is repaired. Two years. ;)

I too miss Union Meat. In fact, I called the owner at his home and he explained to me that because of the large amount of equipment they require, the temporary quarters option won't work for them and they will have to wait until their original space is repaired. Two years. ;)

O, Jeez! I guess the new Harris Teeter will have to fill the gap, assuming it opens anytime soon.

O, Jeez! I guess the new Harris Teeter will have to fill the gap, assuming it opens anytime soon.
Harris Teeter won't hold a candle to Union Meat, but what to do. I can tell you that summer barbecue season is just not the same, since Union was the only place I know of where you could get Prime Angus on a regular basis. Oh and Christmas without the Prime Rib Roast will not be the same either.

Harris Teeter won't hold a candle to Union Meat, but what to do. I can tell you that summer barbecue season is just not the same, since Union was the only place I know of where you could get Prime Angus on a regular basis. Oh and Christmas without the Prime Rib Roast will not be the same either.

I know! And their rib racks were great too! This really sucks.

I miss Union Meat too ;)

Mel Inman had a kettle grill going this afternoon outside his stand. I could smell it down the block. I had figured I'd buy the chicken I needed tomorrow or Saturday, but the grill drew me over. I bought my chicken and got a complimentary piece of turkey andouille sausage from the grill. Really good. I don't think I've had it before. It's on my list for a subsequent trip.

Here is some info on when the temporary structure will be ready. It sounds like by early to mid August they will be back in action.

If you have been by the East Hall you've noticed that they are pouring concrete. The pouring should be completed by Wednesday, next week. The building will be delivered by the 19th of July and should be up by up by the 24th of July. Most of the equipment has been delivered with the exception of some of the walk-in coolers and the hood for Market Lunch. With this in mind there is going to be a “soft opening” of the East Hall by July 31 or August 1. It looks like the vegetable sellers, Blue Iris Flowers and, possibly the Sweet Shop will open by then. The balance of the merchants will open as their equipment is installed with everyone being up and running by the 14th of August. There are good reasons for the slight delay and this schedule looks realistic. I am still comfortable with saying August 3 as an opening day.

Once it opens we should do a dr.com field trip down there for Market Lunch's blueberry pancakes....

Construction of the temporary building which will house the displaced indoor merchants has begun...they were putting up the roofing and wall support beams this morning...hopefully that will be a quick process!
This morning, it looked like they had the skeleton of it pretty well up and were making good progress.

It looks like the schoolyard unit is open, but I didn't walk over to confirm that. I'll probably be back by there in a few hours and will check more closely, unless someone confirms in the meantime.

It looks like the schoolyard unit is open, but I didn't walk over to confirm that. I'll probably be back by there in a few hours and will check more closely, unless someone confirms in the meantime.
The so-called East Hall won't be open until August 24th, at the earliest. There are delays in getting the necessary refrigeration units for the vendors.

The so-called East Hall won't be open until August 24th, at the earliest. There are delays in getting the necessary refrigeration units for the vendors.
Thanks. I got faked out by the conversation I heard, which made it sound like it was open. I also saw one of the inside vendors being interviewed right outside the building. I guess they would have interviewed her inside the building if it were open.

It looks good inside from what I can see, but it's not quite at the opening stage :angry:

This is from the Save Eastern Market website. Personally, at least one meal this weekend will be steak from Union cooked in butter from Bowers.

East Hall opening, this Saturday!

So we've received word back, and it sounds like all of the South Hall merchants save Market Lunch will be opening up this Saturday in the new East Hall temporary building! (The folks at Market Lunch say that they won't have enough time to get everything set up -- which makes a little sense, given that their setup is a bit more complicated than most others'.) This is technically a “soft opening,” meaning that some merchants won't be at full stock, but it's enough to merit Mayor Fenty himself cutting the ribbon to officially open the western entrance to the building at 9:30 AM on Saturday.

A few merchants gave us more specific details on their plans for the weekend. Mike & Ray Bowers say that Bowers Fine Dairy Products will be fully-stocked; Eastern Market Grocery will have its full stock of pastas, sauces, olives, and pita bread, but won't have the normal grocery supplies yet. Canales Quality Meats is busily trying to work out what it'll have in stock, and Calomiris Fruits & Vegetables will be back to its normal variety of offerings.

Exciting!

It really is open this time :P. It looks good, from what I could see through the crowds. All the merchants are there, including Union Meat and Market Lunch (but the latter wasn't operational yet).

I managed to walk through the whole market backwards B). They're routing people through from the 7th street side to 8th street, but when I arrived at the 8th street doors at the same time as a couple of other people, someone opened the door for us. I was about halfway through when seeing the mob going mostly the other direction clued me in that I'd walked in the wrong side. By the time I made it to my destination (Market Poultry, closer to the 7th street entrance), there was no way I was going to turn around and walk back through the crowd to go out the correct doors. I wasn't sure if the line at Market Poultry would be impossible or not, and it was, so I'll hold off until a weekday to go buy chicken.

(I usually walk through museum exhibits backwards too. It's a knack I have :angry:.)

Mr. MV and I got there at 8:30 not realizing there would be an opening ceremony at 9:30. We spent some time at Bread and Chocolate, read the Times and ate some Greek yogurt. :angry:

A nice crowd had developed in front of the East Hall as it's known. Mayor Fenty was greeted warmly as he chatted with the market patrons. He addressed the crowd and media, thanking many people for their dedication to reopen the market. After the dedication of a tile, and ribbon cutting, we gratefully descended upon the new air conditioned hall. It was bright, clean and inviting. Beautiful bouquets of flowers adorned each counter. Lots of smiles were seen as both vendors and patrons were eager to get back to business.

Market Lunch is looking good, but they are awaiting some more equipment to get up and running. They should be open in two weeks.

Slideshow.

Mr. MV and I got there at 8:30 not realizing there would be an opening ceremony at 9:30.
I didn't realize there was an opening ceremony either. I guess that could be predicted, but it didn't occur to me. That means I got there probably 20 minutes or so after the ceremony. No wonder it was so packed!

Thanks for the photos.

I didn't realize there was an opening ceremony either. I guess that could be predicted, but it didn't occur to me. That means I got there probably 20 minutes or so after the ceremony. No wonder it was so packed!

Thanks for the photos.

We were doing a "no duh!" too. It was worth the wait. There were as many people buying as looking. Good to see commerce right away!

I figured Saturday was going to be a mob scene so I'll file the Sunday report. All in all they did a nice job in getting the place up and running, it's bright, airy and air conditioned!

Things are fairly spartan right now decor wise...hopefully that will improve. Understandable a lot of the vendor knick knacks, props, signs etc. were destroyed in the fire. The vendors were in various states of operation. From what I could tell the fish and meat vendors were about as close to fully operational as could be expected. Picked up some soft shells. Union meats had hog maws...if you're stocking hog maws then you probably have the basics as well!

There was a good size crowd wandering around at noon, good size lines, Canales Deli was even starting to run out of items. Everyone looked very happy to be back in business! Great Success!

Market Lunch reopened today. The menu looks somewhat different, but that may be because I can actually read it now :angry:. It's very neatly written on 2 blackboards behind the counter, one for breakfast (with its own column for Saturday) and one for lunch. I got a very satisfying breakfast sandwich (scrapple, egg, and cheese) for takeout.

Did they used to have NC BBQ on their lunch menu? I saw one of the women doling out portion sizes of bbq sauce and then noticed that sandwich listed on the blackboard. They were also working on some very nice-looking green beans, I presume for for the grilled green beans side dish.

(Should there be a separate Market Lunch thread under dining? Does it fit anywhere else?)

At another stand I got some wonderful baby arugula and spinach, plus some dill and parsley (I'm blanking on the name of the farm, but I believe they used to be kind of in the center under the shed--lovely salad greens.) I also found a stand I don't recall the name of that had squash with blossoms still attached. I made the stuffed blossoms over the weekend. He also had some good green beans and okra. The okra is going into the gumbo we're finally having tonight. (I've done it in stages because I keep running out of time.)
Anyone pick up the sorrel from the greens chick at Eastern Market saturday? Absolutely the bomb...

Basil from the amazing greens vendor at Eastern Market...

I'm not sure if the woman with all the beautiful greens is around yet. Definitely make a trip back later in the spring if she isn't there....

Like a lot of us, I have been buying amazing salad and other greens at Eastern Market all summer long without a clue as to what farm they are from and what that nice woman's name is. Of course, there was already a link here once I finally figured it out, but the farm is Gardner's Gourmet and her name is Cinda.

Went to Market Lunch for breakfast on Saturday. Got there just before 8am. The crab cake hollandaise and bluebucks are good as ever, not a change from the original location right down to the communal table. There was one glaring difference...no lines. It was sad to see only a few people in line, even by the time we finished just before 9. I remember the line would be outside by that time in the old South Hall. :(

Went to Market Lunch for breakfast on Saturday. Got there just before 8am. The crab cake hollandaise and bluebucks are good as ever, not a change from the original location right down to the communal table. There was one glaring difference...no lines. It was sad to see only a few people in line, even by the time we finished just before 9. I remember the line would be outside by that time in the old South Hall. :(

Maybe people were being late risers, by the time I rolled through EM around noon, the line was reaching around the block status!

Maybe people were being late risers, by the time I rolled through EM around noon, the line was reaching around the block status!

That's good to know! I've gone before (old building) on rainy cold mornings thinking "Oh there shoudn't be a line" and low and behold..a long line. I'm glad to hear things got busier.

The staff there is so, so nice.

It's usually very busy on the weekends. There are always lines when I go by. As others have said, it's probably that you were there ahead of the crowds.

I haven't even tried to eat there on a weekend in the new spot. (I pretty much gave up on that years ago. I hate long lines.) It's usually so packed inside the market in general that I try to buy what I need Friday afternoon, or right before closing on the weekend days (but then the selection is picked over).

This morning a friend and I had breakfast at Market Lunch. There was a very short line at 11 AM and seats were available at the communal table. I figured the lack of crowds probably has to do with people going away for the holidays. At least, I hope so. This is the first weekend since reopening that I've seen a line short enough to make the decision to eat there. I had a very satisfactory scrapple brick (sandwich) and coffee.

Found curry leaves! An important ingredient when making S. Indian food.

Every once in a while Yes Gourmet carries curry leaves but they are always crap. Go to Paik Produce, it is the produce stand on the 8th Street end of EM. Looked like the small refrigerator case in back had a collection of asian oriented herbs, spices, and produce.

Found curry leaves! An important ingredient when making S. Indian food.

Every once in a while Yes Gourmet carries curry leaves but they are always crap. Go to Paik Produce, it is the produce stand on the 8th Street end of EM. Looked like the small refrigerator case in back had a collection of asian oriented herbs, spices, and produce.

I've gone to the Calomiris's stand pretty regularly for years, but recently I've been happier with some of the produce at Paik. Instead of going to Paik if I can't find what I want elsewhere, I sometimes go there first. It's good to know about the curry leaves.

I know they (Paik) were in the South Hall at the time of the fire, but had they taken over another produce stand fairly recently before that? I can't recall what it was called, but I thought the ownership or management had changed--a couple of years ago, maybe.

I've been rather underwhelmed by the Calomaris stands offerings too. Probably in the past year or two the asian couple that was running Paik left (sold out?). Honestly for basic produce (bananas, onions, potatoes etc.) I don't think either is any better or worse than Safeway and I much prefer the seasonal produce (when available) sold outside, but if I just need an handful of things Calomaris and Paik do the trick.

Plus I've noticed Dan (the guy outside who gets a lot of stuff from PA) has been missing for the last month or so...hopefully he is just taking the winter off.

Plus I've noticed Dan (the guy outside who gets a lot of stuff from PA) has been missing for the last month or so...hopefully he is just taking the winter off.
He's boycotting the market until the city reopens 7th street to traffic. Whether he'll come back in the spring or not, I don't know. I can't remember what his sign said about that before he left. He's definitely not coming back during the winter months if the street stays closed. That part I remember.

I miss buying his produce but personally, I much prefer having that block closed to traffic. I know it's a sensitive subject and many people feel the other way, but I thought it was dangerous the way it was.

Dan had a notice up at the end of 2007 that he was pulling out of the Eastern Market weekend farmers' market until Eighth St. SE is reopened. The closing of that block is a real sore point for many of the vendors--one of many political powder kegs related to Eastern Market. My advice is don't go there (meaning the street closing issue, not the Market!)--it's a no-win argument.

I know they (Paik) were in the South Hall at the time of the fire, but had they taken over another produce stand fairly recently before that? I can't recall what it was called, but I thought the ownership or management had changed--a couple of years ago, maybe.

I think the Paiks took over the stall next to theirs in the South Hall, which is called Capitol Hill Poultry, and across from their stall in the temporary building. I can't remember what it was before, if it was poultry or produce or what.

He's boycotting the market until the city reopens 7th street to traffic. Whether he'll come back in the spring or not, I don't know. I can't remember what his sign said about that before he left. He's definitely not coming back during the winter months if the street stays closed. That part I remember.

I miss buying his produce but personally, I much prefer having that block closed to traffic. I know it's a sensitive subject and many people feel the other way, but I thought it was dangerous the way it was.

Dan had the best produce at the market hands down; I was sorry to see him go and cannot agree with his reasons for doing so.

I've also been going to Paik more regularly, and had begun to do so even before the fire. They seem to always have some nice leeks, and their yukon golds are usually nice and small--good for turning and the like. They've been my place for poultry for even longer.

I'm in the keep 7th Street closed on the weekends camp, it was always a clusterfuck with traffic and pedestrians and with it closed it gives the area a more street festival atmosphere.

As for Paik, as I recall, the couple that had owned it for years in the old market eventually bought the chicken stand next to it and where running both. They then sold (?) to the Asian couple that runs the Paik produce stand now. However, the chicken stand (across from Paik in the new set up) now appear to be run by the hispanic couple that is always manning the stand (but not sure if they actually are now the owners).

Like a lot of us, I have been buying amazing salad and other greens at Eastern Market all summer long without a clue as to what farm they are from and what that nice woman's name is. Of course, there was already a link here once I finally figured it out, but the farm is Gardner's Gourmet and her name is Cinda.
She's back, after her winter hiatus from the market ;). I bought some cilantro and baby arugula this morning.

Okay, I am posting about Eastern Market Crepes after two visits both of which were subpar. I have had crepes from street vendors in the United States and never suffered the mess I have suffered both times at Eastern Market Crepes.

The vendor is at Eastern Market on Saturdays and Sundays in front of the Tuncliffs. They serve a wide variety of sweet and savory crepes.

My favorite street crepe combination is nutella and banana/strawberry. but...

each time I have ordered it at Eastern Market Crepes I have ended up (a) burning my tongue on the extremely hot nutella and (B ) covered in a chocolate mess as the scalding sauce escapes the crepe.

And this time I tasted not nutella but chocolate sauce. In hindsight I think that was what it was he poured on the crepe.

In hindsight I wish I had thrown the crepe out but I hate wasting food. Now I am hoping the stains on my skirt will come out..

Hey Folks,

DC is seeking proposals for the management position at Eastern Market. Here's the information:

Market Manager for Eastern Market

Washington, DC

The District of Columbia Office of Property Management is seeking a contractor to operate and manage Historic Eastern Market in Washington, DC.

Originally constructed in 1873, Eastern Market is presently undergoing a $14 million rehabilitation. A temporary East Hall has been erected to allow market merchants to operate while construction proceeds.

Eastern Market is a thriving food market. Fresh meats, baked goods, cheeses, and other foods are sold from indoor stalls, and fresh produce is sold outside beneath the covered sidewalk. Artisans and antiques dealers also sell their goods outside the market on weekends, making Eastern Market a popular stop for both locals, residents of the broader metropolitan area, and tourists. Art, music and theatrical performances are held in the North Hall, which will also be available for public and private events.

The selected bidder or team should have demonstrated experience with the following:

• Operating public markets, public event space, farmers’ markets, or other similar facilities.

• Operating food markets

• Staff management and supervision

• Marketing, promotion, and special event development

• Retail tenant recruitment and leasing

• Strategic planning for nonprofit organizations

• Financial management

• Locally grown food suppliers and marketing

• Locally produced arts and crafts sourcing and sales

• Flea Market administration and management

A Pre-Bid Conference will be held at Eastern Market on August 14, 2008, at 11:00AM.

The full RFP package can be found online at www.opm.dc.gov/easternmarket.

The deadline for submissions is September 16, 2008, at 2:00 PM.

In my Sunday travels, I often find myself wondering around Eastern Market for ideas of what to make for dinner. In these hard economic times who can afford to shop for groceries at Whole Foods or any specialty market.

Grocery List

1. 1.5 lbs Bronzino @ 8.95/lb

2. small container of Pimenton @ 3.95

3. various fruits, veggies & grains totaling $10

Total cost of meal and prep time= 30/30

Take that Rachel Ray!!!! 30 minute meals under $30 :P

Beginning tomorrow, the stretch of 7th Street, SE, between C St. and North Carolina Ave. will be closed for approximately 3 months (83 days was the number I heard, which takes it to May 31) for further work towards rebuilding the market. That's if work stays on schedule. The street is being replaced, and it appears also at least some of the sidewalk. The open area at the end of the former Hine parking lot is going to be available for some parking during the week (not sure about weekends), and there are also attempts being made to keep some vendors outside in areas not affected. Given that this is getting to be the time that produce vendors would start coming back after the winter, it's unclear how much of a "farmers' market" will be there through the spring and early summer.

Swung past the fishmonger at Eastern Market this weekend...Greek Sardines (I think they were running around $7 a pound), bought them gutted with head on. cooked them on my grill pan with a toss of olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Simple and delicious.