Tomatoes

mdt

Takoma's starting to pick up a little.

Got some greenhouse grown grape tomatoes, some very nice asparagus, some basil and some cheese.

Can't wait for real tomatoes.

I bought some 'soil grown' greenhouse tomatoes at DuPont yesterday and I was pleasantly surprised at how good they were. I cannot wait for the real ones...

I bought some 'soil grown' greenhouse tomatoes at DuPont yesterday and I was pleasantly surprised at how good they were. I cannot wait for the real ones...

I had a sample of a greenhouse regular size tom on Sunday and it was better than nothing. But I think that I will hold out until the real ones start coming in.

Arg, forgot to get definite answer about cherries this afternoon.  I'll check with my usual source of when things will appear at market this evening.

New Morning Farm's market at the Sheridan School (36th & Alton) had their first Tuesday market of the summer today ;) They had the regular suspects, beautiful sweet peas, asparagus, lettuce, strawberries.  The exciting find du jour was heirloom tomatoes!  The also had regular hot house ones but as far as I am concerned between the strawberries and heirlooms summer has arrived.

Fresh strawberries on a Tuesday may just get me through this week.

Were the heirlooms hot house as well or were they grown outside? I find that hard to believe this early in the year. :lol:

The sign did not say anything but they must be hot house. Regardless of where they were grown they looked beautiful and am told they taste amazing.

I checked with my friend who is a farmer and she says the cherry season starts gearing up at the end of June.

The market at the Kentland's should be ashamed to claim to be a farmer's market. 8 vendors--3 selling produce, one selling dog treats and the others were artists.

Sigh...

We did walk around and enjoy the day and marvel at the number of dentists and nail salons to choose from.

Is the Thursday Gaithersburg market any better? Or should I just suck it up and plan to schlep in for Dupont or Takoma on Sundays?

(I thought the Saturday Rockville market was pretty lame...)

Jennifer

The Adams Morgan Farmers Market on Saturday mornings has TWO, count 'em, TWO vendors. Nevertheless, I've been getting those fabulous green house tomatoes that The Hersh mentioned. ;):P:)

These are the most wonderful-tasting tomatoes and I look forward to them every year. Oh, and I get organic, free-range eggs for about $3 per dozen. It all depends on the quality, ya know?

I think this is kinda sorta the right place for this question - what is up with all the tomatoes at farmer's markets? I bought gazpacho from Chris' Market today because I jones for it as much as the next guy, but there are grape, regular, and vine tomatoes easily available this spring. Those I won't buy. But why not?

Many years ago, when New Morning Farm had a stand at the Saturday Adams Morgan market, they had the BEST greenhouse tomatoes I've ever had. Plain, simple "standard" tomatoes that tasted better than their field tomatoes in the summer. I would happily pay any amount of money for those, and was always disppointed when they disappeared in favor of the "seasonal" ones later in summer. Later on, the Tuscarora coop took over from New Market and started selling greenhouse tomatoes which LOOKED fabulous, but tasted like most modern ones; i.e., cardboard. I took a chance today and bought some from Toigo Orchards at the Penn Quarter market. They, at least, have enough pride to slice some up for tasting. On the other hand, I have been finding some interesting grape, cherry and other varieties of tomatoes in the winter at both the Safeway and Harris Teeter. Certainly leagues better than those awful "ripened on the vine" green things from Florida. I don't have a problem with produce from greenhouses, particularly if they are "organic" and taste good. All you need is heat, light and water. When you consider the energy expenditure to can things in season, I wonder if it isn't all a wash.

I think this is kinda sorta the right place for this question - what is up with all the tomatoes at farmer's markets? I bought gazpacho from Chris' Market today because I jones for it as much as the next guy, but there are grape, regular, and vine tomatoes easily available this spring. Those I won't buy. But why not?

Apples, also. At the Dupont market I overheard someone ask a vendor how he had apples at this time of year and he explained they were in some kind of nitrogen storage - that's about all I caught.

Ask farmers for some more details about cold storage methods for fruit picked ripe in season. Then I'll tell you about my grandmother's root cellar* (*a favorite by Theodore Roethke) and alternatives to canning that got you through the winter.

Chris' Marketplace is using Toigo's greenhouse tomatoes for the gazpacho. All the farmers selling greenhouse tomatoes are giving into peer pressure and demands from shoppers who come to the market asking for produce with barely a notion of what's in season when. (Or where things grow. I overhear roommates going through their shopping list at the market, saying "I wonder why I never see lemons here...") Sigh. I am stubborn and a snob about this issue, but admit that the sip of the gazpacho I tried last week was good.

Many years ago, when New Morning Farm had a stand at the Saturday Adams Morgan market, they had the BEST greenhouse tomatoes I've ever had. Plain, simple "standard" tomatoes that tasted better than their field tomatoes in the summer. I would happily pay any amount of money for those, and was always disppointed when they disappeared in favor of the "seasonal" ones later in summer.

You can still get these tomatoes at New Morning's Saturday market at 36th and Alton when it reopens at the end of May or beginning of June. A long time worker on NMF has always claimed they are better than any sun grown tomato he has tasted.

You can still get these tomatoes at New Morning's Saturday market at 36th and Alton when it reopens at the end of May or beginning of June. A long time worker on NMF has always claimed they are better than any sun grown tomato he has tasted.

And he wasn't lying. I think they are grown by the Amish, but I could be mistaken. (The first time I ventured down to the Dupont Circle Market, I asked the NMF prople where the tomatoes were. Since they didn't grow them themselves, they couldn't sell them at the market. Feh.)