Rockville Market

Has anyone been to the Farmers Market in Rockville which takes place Saturdays @ the Rockville Town Center? I was thinking of heading up there tomorrow morning, but won't if it is not up to par with the Arlington Farmers Market at Courthouse.

Has anyone been to the Farmers Market in Rockville which takes place Saturdays @ the Rockville Town Center? I was thinking of heading up there tomorrow morning, but won't if it is not up to par with the Arlington Farmers Market at Courthouse.

Don't bother. The Rockville market does not hold a candle to the Arlington market. It sucks.

Lydia, thanks for the reminder. I need to check out the Rockville Market tomorrow morning and see if it still sucks. Will report back.

Did you ever go back? I went this morning - it wasn't large, but the quality of stuff was very nice. I picked up a large basket of peaches, some plums and apples, corn, and some melon and blackberries.

I bought 2 quarts of blackberries, and they didn't last an hour once we got home...

Concur. While there are likely larger markets, this one was really efficient with very few arts/crafts booths. There were about 25-30 vendors, some with multiple canopies. The meat we bought (kielbasa and chicken/apple sausage) was excellent tonight on the grill, while there was also a booth selling cooked sausage to eat on the spot.

Not sure if this one moved over the years, but it isn't really at Town Center, at least not the new part. It is in the Rockville courthouse parking lot. I'd say that if you're anywhere north of bethesda, this is worth a stop and may save a trip to some bigger/better market.

It's in the courthouse parking lot on Saturdays, and in front of the Regal on Wednesdays. There aren't any of the crafty booths by design - it's a producer's only market, and herbs/flowers is as far as they stray from food products.

Also, 25-30 is generous - there's less than 20 vendors on Saturday, and half that on Wednesday. It's not worth driving across town for, but it's 5 minutes from my house, and the quality is good, so it's the only farmers market I go to.

clickety-clack

It's in the courthouse parking lot on Saturdays, and in front of the Regal on Wednesdays. There aren't any of the crafty booths by design - it's a producer's only market, and herbs/flowers is as far as they stray from food products.

Also, 25-30 is generous - there's less than 20 vendors on Saturday, and half that on Wednesday. It's not worth driving across town for, but it's 5 minutes from my house, and the quality is good, so it's the only farmers market I go to.

clickety-clack

Ah - OK, didn't know they set up in front of the Regal as well.

I counted 25 vendors on Saturday, and said maybe 30 as I couldn't tell if maybe the bigger stalls (2 or 3 canopies) might be shared. And maybe my count was wrong, as maybe one vendor had two tables that looked different. I wasn't privy to the vendor signup list.

And agreed, I wouldn't come across town for it. But having toured a handful of the the Mont Co farmers markets, I couldn't find any better north of Rockville.

You know, if I had some guts, I'd try to recreate the Pittsburgh Strip District around here - a bunch of warehouses that act as a kind of giant Farmer's market on weekends. Some (most?) of the businesses are fairly permanent, all are gritty and the range is from produce to sandwiches to italian food to kitchen tools. Plus junk like Steeler's towels and sunglasses. It's just a cool place to BE. Maybe the eastern market is kind of like that, a little.

But I digress.

I can't say enough good things about Scenic View Orchards at the Rockville Market. A few weeks ago I bought the best strawberries of the season, at a very reasonable price. Today I bought sweet cherries, tart cherries, black and red raspberries, blueberries, and plums (which smell heavenly but I haven't tried yet).

Also, there's a pastry vendor that sells a Brazilian tamale-like thing and paos - those things that Shoe Box Oven used to make.