Cibola Farms

Are you thinking of Cibola, the bison people? Sunnyside meat, BTW, is sold at Arrowine in Arlington.

Picked up a Cibola Sirloin today at $10.79/lb. Simply cooked to just above rare with s&p in a very hot cast iron skillet. The flavor is definitely strong (maybe a little gamey? I'm having trouble describing it), but the texture is perfect.

Picked up a Cibola Sirloin today at $10.79/lb. Simply cooked to just above rare with s&p in a very hot cast iron skillet. The flavor is definitely strong (maybe a little gamey? I'm having trouble describing it), but the texture is perfect.

The gamy flavor is what distinguishes buffalo meat, and also grass-fed beef, from the corn-fed, feed lot beef we've all been raised on. Unfortunately, my husband can't get beyond his preference for the flavor of corn-fed beef, and won't eat either buffalo meat or grass-fed beef, unless it is ground meat that is disguised with lots of other flavors. :angry:

They are at my local Farmer's Market on Saturdays, so I usually buy the different buffalo sausages. Served with pasta and homemade tomato sauce usually. Luckily my husband has developed a taste for both the buffalo and grass-fed beef.

:angry:

Pam

The gamy flavor is what distinguishes buffalo meat, and also grass-fed beef, from the corn-fed, feed lot beef we've all been raised on. Unfortunately, my husband can't get beyond his preference for the flavor of corn-fed beef, and won't eat either buffalo meat or grass-fed beef, unless it is ground meat that is disguised with lots of other flavors. :angry:

My husband enjoys grass-fed beef and bison when it's in a braise, or as the sausages from Cibola Farm, but he still wants his rib eye steaks to be corn-fed and dry-aged. I just bought The Grass-Fed Gourmet, and I'm looking forward to some nice meals from the Cibola bison short ribs resting in my freezer.

We both love the pastured pork from Cibola, most definitely! It has ruined me for eating supermarket pork ever again.

I had planned to buy a turkey from Eco-Friendly at the Dupont Market--last week Bev said that he would have a number of turkeys of various sizes, so I did not reserve one and put down a deposit. I got to the market twenty minutes before the bell this morning and Bruce told me that the only available birds were 25 pounds and up. I can't fit a bird that big into my Weber kettle, so I went up to Cibola to see if they had any extras. I was in luck! I was able to get a 15 1/2 pound bird, and it was 50 cents a pound cheaper than Eco-Friendly's turkeys.

Also, they had some sectioned salt-cured country ham for sale for $2.99 a pound. I was able to get a 5 1/2 pound bone-in piece that will make a respectable-looking ham--I can't ever seem to commit to buying and preparing a whole country ham. They are just so huge.

The market was hoppin' this morning. Totally packed with people by 9:30.

If it was hopping at 9.30, that would explain why it was quieter than usual at 11, which is about as early as I can usually drag myself out of bed on a Sunday ...

I had bought some very nice back bacon from Cibola a couple weeks ago, but apparently they aren't doing that any more :blink:. Something about nitrates.

Also, the people across the way from Cibola had real. fresh. ginger. The likes of which I have not seen since I left Hawai'i.

I found a little piece of Cibola country ham in my freezer yesterday and used it to make very yummy sauerkraut (with bockworst from WFM). This morning they were at the Burke FM, and I was so happy to get their pork cutlets again (great for a last-minute weeknight dinner). They also now have salt pork in small packages for $1 each.

I did purchase the Smith Family eggs 5/3 and when they didn't have them 5/10 I bought the eggs from the Mexican family that had them. Unfortunately, and this is no slam against either vendor, I felt they were not up to the level of what I had been purchasing from Cibola. Those were some darn good eggs and I really looked forward to them each year.

This week Smith Family did not have eggs and neither did the Mexican folks. Smith family told me they were out because of attendance at many other markets and that they would be purchasing 300 more egg layers to meet demand. I did get lots of nice chard, arugula, fennel, asparagus, spinach, and kolrabi. Some young potatoes also. Love the fresh garlic too.

If anyone has any suggestions about vendors from which to purchase plants, I would appreciate hearing from you as I'd like to get a few next week.

Thanks and Happy Shopping !

I forgot about the market this morning (normally, I'm working, but I had a child home sick from school), so when I went to the library (Sherwood Hall), I got a bonus-the market! My daughter got some fudge & I picked up some sausages at Cibola farms-buffalo/pork/cranberry/wine & pork/tarragon-can't wait to grill these!