monavano

Del Ray Market

About 1-2 blocks from the market is a great playground for kids to play with while you nosh on whatever breakfast selection you have decided for the morn. Based on the kid-friendliness of the Del Ray area, I'd be willing to drive there almost every weekend, as the playground is a bit farther and smaller at the Falls Church farmer's market.

I also love how you can go to the Farmer's market, get groceries, breakfast/treats, and decide if you need additional meats & cheeses, to pop on by the Let's Meat on the Avenue and Cheesetique stores, as they also open on 8am on Saturday mornings.

Strawberries were readily available at 3 vendors, as was asparagus and sugar peas still. Gebaby enjoyed the Mixed Berry scone from Vera's bakery, which was only 1 of the few vendors that had their banner or sign. Otherwise, unless I'm missing something, some of the farms don't have signs up, which confused me quite a bit.

A very shy gebaby hid behind me while peering to look over at goldenticket and her +1. What a nice way to start out Saturday morning!

Del Ray was packed on Saturday, which was great to see :rolleyes: .

In the middle of the market is a terrific trio of bakeries-Bonaparte (Md.), Vera's (Annapolis) and Grace's Pastries (Va). Each has unique strengths and offers both sweet and some savory goods. In particular, Vera's tamale is a delightful packet of corn flavor, and Graces makes what I like to call a "pizza" foccacia that would make a perfect nibbly when entertaining.

I have often opined about Marcella's saltenas, but will now have to refer to them as empanadas. Looking exactly the same, the change in label (also announced on a chalk board) made these savory pockets of gravy, meaty, salty and sweet goodness fly off the table.

Yellow peaches from Toigo are baked into a peach and raspberry clafouti. Get 'em and get 'em now....the flavor and juice won't get much better than right now.

Bi-color corn from Three Way Farm went into a hash with sweet pototoes, bell peppers, onion, garlic, cumin, paprika and s&p.

Vera's Bakery continues to impress. We enjoyed a cup of joe from St. Elmo's and Vera's kibbeh followed by a raspberry and chocolate scone. Terrific breakfast.

3915786113_6b82a8bd22.jpg

Toigo said that peaches will be at market for another 2 weeks, and corn another 1 week, maybe 2

From my neighborhood listserv:

The Del Ray Farmers Market is now open year round -- located at the corner of Mt. Vernon Avenue and Oxford Avenue in Del Ray. During the winter months the market will be open 9 am to noon each Saturday.

The Del Ray Market farmers that will be there are Smith Meadows meats, eggs, fresh pasta and sauces; Amish cheese, yogurt, bakery goods, eggs and jams and jellies; winter vegetables; fancy nuts; pralines; and bakery goods.

Tom the Cheese Guy actually came the Saturday we had 18 inches of snow -- he was not able to get out until Sunday around 5:30!!!!!

The Del Ray Market is producer grown so the fresh vegetables and fruits will be back once that season kicks in.

4608820319_a0bfdef51e.jpg

The market is in full swing. New to the market is a vendor with all kinds of lettuce and tomato plants. Also new is Northern Lights Seafood*, the only business selling Alaskan seafood in the state of VA (I guess that makes it local?). Anyway, I'm excited to see how fresh their product is. I arrived late and they only had salmon, which Mr. MV and I don't eat.

My haul:

Strawberries and spinach from Three Way Farm, spring onions at the folks from Reva, VA, a beef saltena from Marcela's.

*their website is an unholy mess, but they are designing a new one.

The Del Ray market is just bursting at the seams- full of more producers than ever and many customers. And, go hungry-there's a plethora of sweet and savory goodies, from dulce de leche desserts and scones, to saltenas and kitfo.

I picked up white corn (very good for the start of the season), zucchini and squash, and a pound of lump crab (reportedly local).

Even if it's a bit farther than you'd normally travel to a market, Del Ray has so much to offer, including Cheesetique and Let's Meat at the Market, which open when the market does on Sat. morning.

Excellent, thank you!

there is a new farmers market that is on Sundays, located right on Mt. Vernon/Ridge Road, next to teh old Duron Paint store, and as well next to Four Mile Run Bridge. I agree the Delray market si bursting with baby strollers and dogs, as well as parents.

there is a new farmers market that is on Sundays, located right on Mt. Vernon/Ridge Road, next to teh old Duron Paint store, and as well next to Four Mile Run Bridge. I agree the Delray market si bursting with baby strollers and dogs, as well as parents.

It even has its own topic :)

Del Ray was packed again!

delraymarket-1.jpg

I stopped at Del Ray after 14th St. market so I could get some Mirai corn from Toigo. Their corn was labeled sweet yellow corn, were rather small and cost .$75 each. No thank you.

I bought 8 ears of white corn from Schlagel's, and cinammon donut dots from a woman who sells donuts and pies and comes in from the Front Royal area. Excellent with coffee!

Also a saltena from Marcella's.

(also saw a new restaurant, Del Ray Pizzeria & Sports Bar on Mt. Vernon Ave. Not open yet)

Del Ray was open yesterday with three vendors. Right now it's eggs, meat, pasta, preserves, and baked goods. We picked up a loaf of bread and some fresh pasta and wished for strawberries and asparagus. :)

Edited to say - I'm terrible with names, but it was Grace's Pastry, Smith Meadows, and another one I've forgotten.

Del Ray was open yesterday with three vendors. Right now it's eggs, meat, pasta, preserves, and baked goods. We picked up a loaf of bread and some fresh pasta and wished for strawberries and asparagus. :)

Edited to say - I'm terrible with names, but it was Grace's Pastry, Smith Meadows, and another one I've forgotten.

Probably Tom the Cheese Guy.

Del Ray is in full swing, I'm happy to say. The Alexandria markets that go on life support all winter, POP and flourish right about now, and become a gathering place for friends and neighbors, especially Del Ray. Although it opens at 8am, the crowds become thick around 9:30 with citizens, dogs and kids.

I was Happy to see Three Way Farm (Warsaw, VA) flush with produce, and strawberries! I don't think that the strawberries' taste could get much better; perhaps a tad sweeter in the weeks to come, but they are literally ripe for the picking right now.

delraymarketstrawberries-1.jpg

If you go, and I've said this before, be sure to grab just a nibble for breakfast and save room for Ashbank Farm's apple cider donuts and a cup of joe from St. Elmo's.

7183404778_7a896c32c9_z.jpg

The market was overflowing with asparagus (seems to be a banner year!), strawberries, snap peas and more. We hauled 2 quarts of strawberries (Schlagel, $8), 2 large bundles asparagus (Three Way, $11) and enjoyed a 3 berry scone from Vera's Bakery.

Miri corn and tomato seconds from Toigo

More corn and bell peppers from Schlagel

Brisket from Smith Meadows

Lemon balm, Thai basil and Mountain mint

Cantaloupe and basil from 3 Way Farm

Marcela's beef saltena

7662150956_6bc441b24b_z.jpg

The market was packed last Sat., which is really great to see.

Mirai corn from Toigo

Blue curled Scotch kale (HUGE bunch for $3) and red bliss potatoes from Three Way Farm.