Maybe It Was The Salumi

ol_ironstomach

Our first meeting was inauspicious...a mutual friend thought he'd introduce us while she was visiting town to learn Indian cooking from his mom, and I showed up with my then-girlfriend. The next occasion was a year later in her town; our same friend and I had reservations for four at Bebo but two of our party couldn't make it, so we rang her up to join us mid-meal. The following evening she suggested we meet at The Spotted Pig. She ordered the poached lamb's tongue with lentils, peas and asparagus, and a pint of bitter.

That was two years ago.

Two weeks ago Gubeen and I became engaged, during the dessert course at Komi. Chef Monis reportedly told Derek that it was the first proposal he knew of in his dining room. Was food a factor? Perhaps...I can tell you that we've had one heck of a time merging our whisk(e)y and All-Clad collections, and the jury's still out on which Cuisinart will retain ready status. Her cousin, who will receive our extras, is making out like a bandit :angry: But we wanted to share this bit of happy news with you, our fellow food-fanatic pals. Sláinte!

Having had the pleasure of your celebration o fthe event preceeding this annoucement, I can forsee good drinking ahead! Coming up on having Kay put up with me for 19 years and knowing her for 26, a good partner can make up for so many personal short commings. Of course Kay doesn't cook (except the best popcorn & our morning coffee!) so we never had your probelm!

Congrats!

Best wishes to you both! (& don't think about looking like a meringue, weddings can actually be very fun parties, if you do a little planning & luck out). This is slightly off-topic, but not really (havng to do w/ the spring picnic)- if you guys can grill bacon together in a rainstorm, I predict your marriage will be long-lived & very interesting (a prophecy, not a curse!). What kind of camp stove did you use & do you recommend it? Was that a removable griddle? Congratulations once more ...Thistle/Linda (whose son, Tom, was really drawn into cooking w/ his experience blotting bacon & draining the grease can-he just started middle school & I think he'll ace home ec!)

Thanks for the happy thoughts, everybody :angry:

What kind of camp stove did you use & do you recommend it? Was that a removable griddle? Congratulations once more ...Thistle/Linda (whose son, Tom, was really drawn into cooking w/ his experience blotting bacon & draining the grease can-he just started middle school & I think he'll ace home ec!)

Mine's an older Camp Chef model SS50L with 25000 BTU/h burners. I picked it up years ago for "heavy" car-camping group trips. The modern equivalent would be something from their "Sport Utility Stove" line. The SG90 griddle is also from Camp Chef but isn't intended for use with the SS50; I took a few measurements and decided that it would work without creating too much of a safety risk.

Tom was a great asset to the bacon team! Hopefully he'll continue to amass skills of all different sorts...the world could use a few more polymaths.

Thank you, that's the brand I've been looking at-love those high output burners. And again, best wishes for your upcoming nuptials-we are coming up on lucky 13 & our wedding was great!-we planned a long distance wedding in Charleston, SC (we were living in Fayetteville, NC) in Oct. & it worked out wonderfully. One of the best parts was a free concert in the park across from our hotel the next day, Hootie & the Blowfish, Big Head Todd & the Monsters-no problems the day before, everyone that came to the wedding (about 110) had a great time in Charleston (we ran into some of them barhopping the night before the wedding)- I think the key is plan as much as you can & then just relax & enjoy what happens!...