Flanken Short Ribs

Al Dente

I was conned into making a cookout dinner for 20 peeps this past weekend so I searched the web for something relatively easy and came across this menu on Epicurious:

Seoul Food

On the advice of a Korean friend I headed off to Korean Korner (this joint deserves its own thread) in Rockville in search of ingredients. Their flanken cut short ribs ($5.99/lb) looked like they were from Lobel's-- beautifully marbled and uniformly cut to about 1/2 inch thick. I picked up 10 pounds of those babies (and a similar amount of boneless chicken thighs and Chinese eggplant), marinated them for about 4 hours, and grilled them up. They were delicious. Guests were gnawing every last scrap off the bones. Total cost for a feast for 20? About $150.

It occurred to me that these "steaks" would do well with just salt and pepper on the grill. They're flavorful and surprisingly tender. I thought you'd have to cook the hell out of short ribs, like I've done many times low and slow, to get good results. Turns out I was wrong. Give it a try.

By the way, the grilled eggplant recipe in that link is excellent!

Last couple of times I bought ribs to use for korean BBQ from Lotte or Super H have been dissappointing. The quality or the amount of meat on the LA style (I think it is called flaken cut) was not that good. I've notices they also "hide" the really poor cuts on the bottom.

I want to do korean BBQ this weekend. Where can I source the best ribs for korean BBQ?

BTW, I've also been curious, which is the primal I would by for korean BBQ if I wanted to try to butcher myself?

Soup

Last couple of times I bought ribs to use for korean BBQ from Lotte or Super H have been dissappointing. The quality or the amount of meat on the LA style (I think it is called flaken cut) was not that good. I've notices they also "hide" the really poor cuts on the bottom.

I want to do korean BBQ this weekend. Where can I source the best ribs for korean BBQ?

BTW, I've also been curious, which is the primal I would by for korean BBQ if I wanted to try to butcher myself?

Soup

Korean Korner is the place to go! I've bought them there several times and the quality has been good-- not too fatty, consistently sized, and I think they've generally been about $5/lb.

Soup

I think it's flanken or (as my Korean Mother-in-law calls it) California-style kalbi. I get mine from the Global foods in Woodbridge or Manassas. I've never had a problem with the quality and they stock it in quantity. If you have the freezer space it's much easier to marinate enough for a few meals then freeze the rest.

Soup

I always buy meats from Super H but didn't get poor quality ones so far. I pick the rib meat from the special meat corner (black shelf) between fish section and meat section. The rib meat I am buying has no bone in it and is rolled.

Of course, it is a bit expensive than ones in the meat section but it is worth.

I always buy meats from Super H but didn't get poor quality ones so far. I pick the rib meat from the special meat corner (black shelf) between fish section and meat section. The rib meat I am buying has no bone in it and is rolled.

Of course, it is a bit expensive than ones in the meat section but it is worth.

I just pick some of that up on Monday. It was about $9/lb. Not cheap but I suppose you get what you pay for.