Taqueria Tres Reyes, Three Prince Georges County Locations With A Possible Fourth In Manassas

I often go to Tres Reyes for tacos. I seem to be addicted to tacos de lengua, and regularly attend most of the taquerias in this area. I love las Placitas especially for the variety and of course the taste. For some reason when I bring Tres Reyes tacos home I always find my mouth watering as I begin to unpack the bags. It is very odd I admit but there it is.

Christpher

Finally tried this place for lunch yesterday (and today, as I finish my leftover posole).

I haven't seen posole on many (any?) menus outside of New Mexico, so there it was. I ordered it and a lengua taco. The posole has almost Indian/curry spice to it, unexpected but still delicious. Hominy a little underdone for my taste but whatever.

The lengua taco slides into the second spot on my all time lengua list, with first being a place whose name I have forgotten or never knew in Jackson Hole. Perfectly tender and delicous, and generously portioned--double the meat of many other local tacos (and a bit pricier, I am guessing 3.50 or so but no prices were on the wall and I didn't get an itemized receipt). They double the tortilla, so I made two tacos out of it.

Friends enjoyed everything they had, including one saying it was the best chorizo he'd tasted other than when we took a chorizo class with Cabal, and he ventured it may even be one of their products. Goat barbacoa was another hit.

I'll be back. The lengua vaulted Jessup gas station tacos for that 2 spot, that's how good it was.

The lengua taco slides into the second spot on my all time lengua list, with first being a place whose name I have forgotten or never knew in Jackson Hole.

Try the lengua at Fuego Cocina in Arlington. You may have to drop Tres Reyes' version into third place, with Jackson Hole going into 2nd.

One of my favorite pieces to read anywhere is Tim Carman's $20 diner.  Time after time he highlights good casual eats that typically fly under the radar.

Taqueria Tres Reyes in Manassas is a perfect example of this.  I think this flew under the radar further still because I don't believe the article made it to print.  I knew there existed good Mexican in Manassas from speaking to a couple folks running Pupusa food trucks near Leesburg.  With the article I was really happy to get a better idea of where to go.

From the admittedly limited sample I have, this is the best truely Mexican place I have been to in the area.  The tacos are really good.  With all the masa work being done in house (according to the article) its no wonder.

All things being equal though what stood out to me are the gorditas.  See below:

post-4521-0-13647500-1379100864_thumb.jp

Crispy, pork and cheese filled awesome.  And the sopes are amazing as well, crispy on the outside but softer in the middle with refried beans, crema, and queso fresco over [fillings of your choice].

The setting is an nondescript small little beat up looking strip mall, and inside, its clear a lot of the materials in the restaurant are on at least their second life (like the plate my gorditas are sitting on).  In other words I loved the atmosphere.

Some things to note, be prepared to speak a little Spanish.  Probably 30% of the time, the staff that's working will not speak English.  The menu however has the appropriate English translations so its easy enough to get through it.  Be ready to wait, everything is made in house and that takes time.  This place is not affiliated with the Tres Reyes in Md (so says the article).  And finally IMHO the carnitas, and chorizo were the best choices for fillings.  I haven't gone through them all but many were not memorable.

• Like 1

This place is not affiliated with the Tres Reyes in Md (so says the article).  

What a wonderful post this was.

Although the website lists three different Prince Georges County locations (and none in Virginia), the sign from the one in Hyattsville seems somewhat similar to the one in Manassas, straight down to the "Fine Mexican Food" slogan - can anyone confirm that the Manassas location is completely unrelated?

What a wonderful post this was.

Although the website lists three different Prince Georges County locations (and none in Virginia), the sign from the one in Hyattsville seems somewhat similar to the one in Manassas, straight down to the "Fine Mexican Food" slogan - can anyone confirm that the Manassas location is completely unrelated?

I will add that though similar, the menus at each are are a little different (from looking at the Md website). There are things that were at the Va one that are not in the Md one, and vice versa.  I'll ask next time I go what the relationship is with the ones in Md and report back.

I will add that though similar, the menus at each are are a little different (from looking at the Md website). There are things that were at the Va one that are not in the Md one, and vice versa.  I'll ask next time I go what the relationship is with the ones in Md and report back.

It's possible that the Manassas location simply bought a sign from the Maryland chain - they could be related (cousins, friends), but still separate owners (in which case, they'll get their own thread).