dr.com Indian Regional HOT Foods Event

Sudhir Seth

I have to add my praise to xcanuck's comments. The dinner was a lot of fun and offered a variety of tastes, textures, and levels of heat. I particularly enjoyed the second (seafood) course. Each of the dishes had a sweet element that was a lovely contrast to the spice - tamarind in the mussel sauce, raw mango in the fish curry, and the sweet counterpoint (tamarind again?) in the Shrimp Balchao. The pickles and chutneys provided a range of heat (and color) - I think my favorites were the Vengayam (Onion) and Thenga (Coconut) chutneys. The chicken kabab and the pork vindaloo were favorites from the other courses (I don't think I can pick ONE favorite - I enjoyed every dish we were presented!)

As mentioned above, the Aloo Chokha was HOT - but it was a different kind of heat coming from mustard rather than chili. I could almost taste the heat before it was on my tongue - like a hot wind of Colman's English mustard.

I wasn't sure what to expect, but really appreciated that I was able to enjoy all the nuances of the various spices and other components of each dish without being overwhelmed by the heat. The balance was spot-on and made for a great experience in tastes and contrasts.

I might have liked another vegetable dish or two, but we certainly had more than enough, both in terms of quantity and variety. The menu, along with descriptions of each dish can be found on Chef Sudhir's blog under the Oct. 1 post. I think some pictures may also be posted in the near future.

It was also my first visit to Passage to India, but certainly won't be the last. Thanks again to Chef Seth and his staff, both in the kitchen and on the floor, who made the dinner so enjoyable! (and to Don for organizing things and slaking our thirst :blink: )

(after everything we ate last night, I can't begin to imagine how those who attended the street foods dinner made it through all those courses!)

Thanks to all who attended the dinner last night and hoping that all is well considering the amount of different spices that everyone consumed. Nowhere in India people eat so much spices over a single meal and I am grateful to last night's diners for being so supportive and encouraging. Reading the comments this morning and after talking with you all last night I am glad that everyone seems to have had an enjoyable evening. We missed just one participant Ms. Deborah Tang and hope to see her in our next culinary foray. Xcanucks comments are spot on and we will have to work on fine tuning the recipes for the red meat dishes. Maybe since these are recipes straight from the households of India and we did not factor in the US meat standards, also I did not do enough practice runs on most dishes. The dessert I would have loved to make with chenna but for originality sake went with the rice flour dough; also wanted to try something vegan instead of the regular Indian milk sweets. I must mention that the event would not have been possible but for the efforts of my team, Chef Negi, Manager Shantanu Sen (also a chef) and our server Ali. I have to send the photos to DKORN who has kindly agreed to post them up for all to see.

Don, thanks for the effort to get this going and to have started DR.com in the first place.

THANKS TO ALL FROM EVERYBODY AT PASSAGE to INDIA

I haven't much to add to the two previous reviews, but I can't let this pass without saying how much I enjoyed my first DR event. The company was delightful and the food was wonderful. My wife is not a member of DR.com, but she may well become one after last night. The food didn't surprise her--we have eaten countless meals at Passage to India and knew that Sudhir Seth would put something exceptional--but she was particularly taken by the camaraderie.

The seafood dishes really stood out for me--the mussel vendiam is one of the best things I've eaten in ages. Just a bowl of that gravy and a basket of naan would make this poster a happy man. Chef, you must put this on the menu. IMO, it would make a terrific appetizer. The meen kozhambu (South Indian fish curry) was excellent, with just the right amount of heat. But the shrimp pickle was amazing--at first bite, it was almost sweet, then the heat began to build...and build...and buiild. Some at our table thought it was the hottest of the hot, but for me, the aloo chokra--potatoes with burnt chile and mustard oil--topped the heat index.

My other favorites were the green chili chicken--my wife's favorite, as it reminded her a bit of chutney ni murgi, a Parsi chicken dish on the regular Passage menu, but with more heat--and the char grilled chicken with cracked peppercorns. And kudos to the chili onion kulcha--bread stuffed with onion and chilies--that provided a nice beginning, giving us a chance to try a few of the pickles and chutneys.

And Rocks, your surprise was much appreciated and came at just the right time!

The spices were just right--not too incendiary, thus allowing the layers of flavor to emerge. Last night was further confirmation for me that Passage to India is the finest Indian dining in this area.

What was so incredible about last night to me is that had I gone to Passage to India on my own, and had I been presented with a menu including all of the dishes we ate last night, I would not have tried many of my favorites from last night's meal. I really enjoyed the range of spice and heat we tasted last night. The shrimp pickle, the mussels, the potatoes. the chicken with peppercorns and the green tomatoes with fennel are my personal favorites. I'm leaving out everything else I ate just so you'll think I exercised some restraint. What a great night, thanks to everyone who helped to make it happen.

I too had a great time at the spice dinner. I was very afraid that I would be overwhelmed at the level of heat. Pleasantly surprised, I handled all the "heat" very well, more amazing was the complex layering of spices in all the dishes. I will add a few comments on a couple of standouts that have not been previously commented on.

1) Pickles and Chutneys: We were served four Chutneys and two Pickles: I loved the Vengayam and Green Chili & Cilantro Chutneys as well as the Mango Pickle. Each of these remained on the table and were a nice accompaniment to the threes different breads that may appearances with each course. The breads were wonderful, fresh, and each has a different spice.

2) Mirchi Pakora: This dish was not a favorite of mine nor the participants that I talked to. The coating was a bit dry and the JalapeƱo not really cooked. I think that the JalapeƱo chopped up and made into a fritter would have had a better outcome.

3) Chicken Kali Mirch Kabob and the Mussel Vendiam were outstanding. Especially when you dipped the chicken into the extra sauce. The Aloo Chokha was also a standout. This simple dish was a knockout with heat and a mustard flavor. I wish I had taken some home to try as a cold dish as well.

4) The Pork Vinaloo had a wonderful taste but was a bit chewy. I took some of this home and the next day heated it up only tro find that the pork was pretty fatty. I would have cooked this dish and the Mirchi Gosht a little longer/ slower so they were more tender. The spices on each were dead on, it was more the texture of the meat.

5) Dessert: I loved the Spicy Modak dessert and felt it was great the way it was. I would not change a thing with it.

I really want to that the chef and staff at Passage to India for a truly wonderful dinner. All those spicy dishes have made me realize what a treasure we have in Bethesda. Now we will see what makes the menu!

I have emailed the photos to DKORN for posting on this thread. In the meantime I was successful in uploading them to my blog on the following link. Relive the spices.

http://indianfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Since we're all capable of clicking on Sudhir's link, I don't find a burning need to re-post the food photos here.

The only ones he sent me that aren't on his blog were pictures of the attendees. I had enough requests to NOT post those publicly, so attendees, if you want them, send me a PM with your email address, and I will forward them.

Thanks, Sudhir!

2) Mirchi Pakora: This dish was not a favorite of mine nor the participants that I talked to. The coating was a bit dry and the JalapeƱo not really cooked.

4) The Pork Vinaloo had a wonderful taste but was a bit chewy. I took some of this home and the next day heated it up only tro find that the pork was pretty fatty. I would have cooked this dish and the Mirchi Gosht a little longer/ slower so they were more tender. The spices on each were dead on, it was more the texture of the meat.

5) Dessert: I loved the Spicy Modak dessert and felt it was great the way it was. I would not change a thing with it.

Damn! I had to keep the Mirchi Pakora in the oven to keep it warm and that is why it got dried up - shouldn't have done that. Yes you are right about the Jalapeno not cooked through, should have used halved ones stuffed with the chili paste.

Pork Vindaloo in this country I think will be more palatable if made with lean meat. Back in India with limited food resources and 1.2 billion mouths to feed the traditional recipes call for the pork, fat and the rind as well. But you are right, the fat would need to be trimmed off completely for it to be appreciated here.

At last someone says that they liked the Spicy Modak the way it was. Maybe you were lucky to have gotten a piece with less rice and more stuffing.

All criticism negative as well as positive is very welcome, pls. continue- this is invaluable feedback.

What did he do this time?

And Rocks, your surprise was much appreciated and came at just the right time!

I'll see if I can find the pictures, but last time it involved some incredible carpentry, copper, several dancing monkeys and a bottle of MD40. :blink: