Delivery Options

Got home late last night and didn't feel like cooking. Nor did I feel like leaving the building once I started thawing out. So I called Thai Tanic (decent food, horrible name) and had them deliver a meal.

Wondering who else delivers in central DC? (I live near Thomas Circle, not far from Corduroy.) I'm sure it's not like NYC, where you can get just about anybody to deliver. But surely I have more options than Thai and Chinese food. Any ideas?

Actually, you don't need to go through A la Carte for Spices--they deliver on their own.

As does sister restaurant Nooshi--which is closer to OP's area. The food is always attractive and at the appropriate temperature. For soups, they even send broth in one container and mix-ins--noodles, bean sprouts, etc--in another. A bit expensive, but worth it.

Famous Luigi's, a couple of doors down, also delivers, but their area is limited (and I recently moved a block out of it... drat!).

When I lived in another city, I used to have a huge folder for delivery: chinese, thai, greek, sushi, burgers, etc. Since I moved to Col Hts, I feel like I'm reinventing the wheel every time I want take out. Do you have favorite delivery places you like that are relatively fast, inexpensive, travel well, accurate, and tasty, or any combination of the above?

So, in steps the anal one... a list of restaurants that deliver would be great. If you have prefered places you would like to share, it would be most helpful if you list:

1) Name of Restaurant

2) Type of Food

3) delivery area or location

4) web site written out like www.nameofplace.com not a hyperlink and/or a phone number

Why? Because I have compiled the brunch places, and am going to compile the bakeries, in a spreadsheet. It would be so much easier if you all did the work for me ;-)

Thanks!

I am the king of delivery as I usually get probably 4 meals delivered a week on average. I get delivery to 18th and U NW in DC, so we are talking the Dupont/Adams Morgan/U St corridor area. Here are my favorites for DC:

1. Alberto's Pizza (pizza)

2. City Lights of China (Chinese)

3. Sala Thai (Thai)

4. Any of the Moby Dick's (kebobs)

5. Haven't tried yet, but will shortly, Ben's Chili Bowl for delivery

And just for added measure, my favorites in Rosslyn:

1. Cafe Asia (sushi/Japanese stuff)

2. Tara Thai (Thai)

3. Moby Dick's (kebobs)

4. Clare and Don's (seafood)

5. Hard Times Cafe (chili dogs mostly)

6. Mr. Hibachi (cheap and passable bulgogi with ok kimchi)

I need to caveat that this is the best food that will show up at my doorstep, not necessarily that these are the best places to eat for the given categories. And in Rosslyn, I use Dr. Delivery except for Cafe Asia which does its own delivery.

Heritage India delivers. The minimum order is $25, but if you're ordering indian for two you can get there pretty easily. Mmm. Lentils. Check the Heritage thread for recommendations.

Heritage India

Conn. Ave just south of Dupont Circle / Georgetown. Limited coverage.

202-331-1414

Delivery Menu

QUOTE(NewFoodie @ Feb 1 2006, 10:40 AM)

I'd also be interested in some good delivery options.  I just moved into the District from VA.  Anything good deliver to the Hill area (specifically near the Supreme Court)?

No!

(I've worked near the Court since 1991; lived there from 1993-2002...)

Well, that's unfortunate :lol:

For Thai, give Thai X-ing a call and see if they're delivering. I was surprised that they'd deliver to me all the way over near Lincoln Park, and even more surprised when the chef turned out to be the delivery guy too!

Thai X-ing

The Rockwellian Thread

I'm dying to try this place.

This will be my little event, except it will be carryout and I'm going to make the cabbie idle outside...!

Although there's nothing like sitting at the bar and watching the masters, Sushi Ko delivers in Glover Park.

Sushi Ko

Japanese

Glover Park

www.sushiko.us or (202) 333-4187

(Their website seems to be down.)

I think the minimum order is $25, and there is a considerable wait time.

talk about no delivery? we're off of rhode island ave. on 2nd st. ne. we're vegan.

(happily a stone's throw from glut food co-op...but, i don't always feel like cooking either. )

we regularly get chinese carryout flyers...where we can get a side of wings with our ma po tofu.

we hold out hope that one of these places is a yet-to-be-recognized gem... but so far, when we pull out the menus & reach for the phone something stops us.

In The Hill today The Old Siam is previewed.  It's at 406 Eigth St, SE (Barracks Row).  It says they deliver, but not sure how far.

Ate there once, never never never again. If you can't do Pad Thai well, well then you shouldn't call yourself a Thai restaurant.

Is there a Take Out Taxi in DC.  They deliver for a lot of restaurants in Montgomery County.

There is, but A La Carte Express has much better options. But those services can make getting delivery expensive fast, with prorated surcharges based on distance and cost. Plus, it takes them a while. When I found out that Nooshi delivered and that I didn't have to go through A La Carte, I noticed a marked increase in quality and temperature.

wow...right you are.  Thai X-ing DOES deliver.  and, they do rock.  we were happy little campers...feeling a little yup, but we got over it.

Just an FYI - the website says they're open Mondays, but this past Monday I called a bunch of times and no one ever picked up... about the 10th time, i got through. to my dismay, i was told that they're closed on Mondays.

My one evening off besides Sundays and he's closed.... :lol:

For delivery, we're happy in Arlington with Listrani's and Lost Dog Cafe, usually. Delhi Dhaba also delivers, as do several Thai restaurants. We used to be able to order from Big Bowl -- loved their pot stickers and sesame noodles -- but no longer. I wish we could find a good place for sushi delivery...

I had a terrible delivery experience with Taste of India last night. The vegetarian sampler platter that I ordered was not even edible!

The daal was thin and mushy. The raita tasted off - like it had spoiled. The mulligatawny soup was too thick to eat and was obviously made with frozen mixed veggies. Worst of all was the alu gobi - which was tasteless and had a thick layer of orange oil on top of it. It was awful! :)

Now I'm on the lookout for a reputable indian restaurant that delivers in NW DC. Something other than Heritage India - which has already been mentioned.

Their delivery radius can seem to vary at times, but Quick Pita in Georgetown delivers. I'm in Rosslyn and they'll come across the bridge, though I'm not sure how far into VA they'll go. DC seems to be pretty well covered. They have good vegeterian options (felafel, cheese pies) and I recommend the "quick pita special", which is chicken shawarma and good french fries stuffed in a pita roll.

202 338 PITA and they're open until 4 AM on weekends.

I love Spices (mmm, sushi and Wafu), but it does require going through A La Cart, which can get pretty expensive at times.
Just an update on this post, Spices started a direct delivery service about 3-4 months ago. Don't order the tangerine peel beef, I think it is seasoned with crack cocaine. I hit rock bottom about a month ago stealing money from my girlfriends purse to order some. Just kidding but it is an extremely addictive dish. The sushi usually shows up in decent shape also. I am not sure what their radius of coverage is but I live up by AU and they deliver to me.

Oh also Cafe Divan has free delivery. That isn't bad either. Plus the doner and iksander kebab are available every night of the week. I had lamb shank that wasn't great though. The sampler is also pretty weak. I would stick to the kebab and pide. They have a pretty small radius of service I think.

So... what was your last home delivery meal?

Me? In order to qualify for free deliver: Yum Thalay and Phad Thai from Jandara. The Yum Thalay had three mussels and just enough scallops and just enough kick to barely work up a sweat. The Phad Thai was drier than I expected; it’s been a long while since I’ve had the dish; I thought it would be a lot more saucier. The shrimp was past its prime. Regardless: reheated later today, it will make a great lunch.

Me? In order to qualify for free deliver: Yum Thalay and Phad Thai from Jandara. The Yum Thalay had three mussels and just enough scallops and just enough kick to barely work up a sweat. The Phad Thai was drier than I expected; it�s been a long while since I�ve had the dish; I thought it would be a lot more saucier. The shrimp was past its prime. Regardless: reheated later today, it will make a great lunch.

unsure.gif I doubt this is what you're looking for, but it was probably about 10 years ago, maybe more?--I got something delivered from Hunan Dynasty (just down from the Library of Congress) while my husband was away on a trip. I'm sure it included spring rolls and hot and sour soup, because that's always what I get. I know I got enough food to last several days, but I don't recall the rest of the order laugh.gif .

My husband doesn't like delivery food, or much take out even, for that matter. The only time I ever get food delivered is if he's not here.

Legant, how can you be a CSA member and order take-out? Getting through our weekly CSA dump is a second job for me. Every meal we have that doesn't involve CSA produce is a step backward. It's like Forrest Gump: We have CSA stew; CSA stir-fry; CSA casserole; fried CSA; grilled CSA; etc.

We hardly ever get delivery, but we get take-out fairly often (or did in the pre-CSA days). My pragmatic midwestern upbringing kicks in when it comes to having a restaurant bring food to me, when I could walk a few blocks and get it myself. I think we did get delivery from Old Siam, a Thai place on 8th Street in Capitol Hill, a few months ago. And, not infrequently, we get take-out from Pacific Cafe, a Vietnamese place in eastern Cap Hill.

We stopped doing delivery from Peking Cheers and moved to carry out because the error rate on the orders was just too high and getting them to fix them post-delivery was next to impossible.

Saturday night we had a houseguest and ordered: steamed meat dumplings, spicy and tangy wontons, wonton soup, chicken fried rice, chicken chow fun, shrimp delight and scallion pancakes.

The steamed meat dumplings were seriously improved over our last order.

I have wonton soup and chicken chow fun leftover for lunch today.

I got something delivered from Hunan Dynasty (just down from the Library of Congress) while my husband was away on a trip. ... I know I got enough food to last several days, but I don't recall the rest of the order

I swear by their Kung Pow chicken. To me, it's exactly what Kung Pow should be: Chicken, peanuts, hot peppers, and the sauce. No broccoli or other filler. And, yes, they deliver a lot of food in each order.

I have even eaten in Hunan Dynasty once. They have a menu board that's in Chinese. That's usually a good sign. For me, its the only Chinese food delivery on the Hill, although we don't do much delivery.

Back in college (Catholic U.), some friends developed a theory that they* gave you more food if you asked for chopsticks when ordering. I suppose we tested this on many a drunken evening. Discuss.

* they = whatever random place we were ordering from... not Hunan Dynasty

Just wanted to let everyone know that there is a big sign hanging in front of Taqueria Distrito Federal that says "DELIVERY - $5 MINIMUM" or something to that effect. I haven't tried it, but if you want to give it a whirl the number is 202-276-7331. Let us know how it is!

Just wanted to let everyone know that there is a big sign hanging in front of Taqueria Distrito Federal that says "DELIVERY - $5 MINIMUM" or something to that effect. I haven't tried it, but if you want to give it a whirl the number is 202-276-7331. Let us know how it is!

That's one of the smallest minimums I've ever heard of!

The following posts have been split into separate threads:

Mehak (JLK)

Jackey Cafe (wolverine)

this just made my day! thanks for passing it along, I will be testing the delivery shortly ;)

;) I doubt this is what you're looking for, but it was probably about 10 years ago, maybe more?

How is it possible that you do not do delivery??!! Where do you live? Bizarro World ==> “Us do opposite of all Earthly things!”

Legant, how can you be a CSA member and order take-out?

You answered your own question. There is only so much Aloo Ghobi a gal can eat! Call it what you want, but bok choy and its cousins should be banned from all CSAs. And, don’t get me started on the basil: basil pesto… basil oil… basil aioli… basil buttermilk dressing… tomatoes stuffed with mozzarella and basil… tomato and basil spaghetti… pineapple with basil (sounds like something CrackpotGourmet would make for her crepes). I draw the line at "watermelon sorbet with wine basil gelee."

Hell.. I was ready to go to Burger King.

How is it possible that you do not do delivery??!! Where do you live? Bizarro World ==> “Us do opposite of all Earthly things!”
If it's not something you do, it just doesn't come up as an option. Neither my parents or my husbands' ordered delivery food, and it just isn't something we do. The few times I've done it just to do it (ooh, I could get food delivered!), it's been underwhelming. It's not that hard to walk someplace if I want a meal out, and I always have plenty of food in the cupboards/pantry/refrigerator/freezer. Even when we spent quite a few months without a kitchen, we didn't do delivery. I did more take out than usual, though not really that much, and bought prepared foods at Whole Foods. Mostly I cooked with limited equipment (microwave, toaster oven, and crock pot).

Anyone else use foodler.com for takeout or delivery? I came across it about a month or so, and it's a revelation.

You type in your zip, and it gives you a list of restaurants that deliver to your address (a substantial list, where I live -- at least 20). When you click on the restaurant, you then get a clickable menu where you can place your order. The site then faxes your order to the restaurant. You can pay by credit card online or by cash when they deliver. There's also a takeout option if you want to pick up the food yourself.

It's free to the customer -- all the costs are paid by the restaurant. Some of the restaurants use takeout taxi, which has an extra fee, but they are clearly marked.

Oh, and there are also lists of the "most popular" dishes ordered from the restaurant that week, and there's a section for reviews/ feedback -- once you've place your order, you get an email and then you can click back through to leave rate the restaurant and leave comments.

I love it. No more messing around trying to find takeout menus. No more repeating my order on the phone because the person on the other end is in a noisy kitchen.

I know I'm raving. They should be paying me for advertising. (They aren't, in case anyone was wondering.)

Anyone else use foodler.com for takeout or delivery? I came across it about a month or so, and it's a revelation.

You type in your zip, and it gives you a list of restaurants that deliver to your address (a substantial list, where I live -- at least 20). When you click on the restaurant, you then get a clickable menu where you can place your order. The site then faxes your order to the restaurant. You can pay by credit card online or by cash when they deliver. There's also a takeout option if you want to pick up the food yourself.

It's free to the customer -- all the costs are paid by the restaurant. Some of the restaurants use takeout taxi, which has an extra fee, but they are clearly marked.

Oh, and there are also lists of the "most popular" dishes ordered from the restaurant that week, and there's a section for reviews/ feedback -- once you've place your order, you get an email and then you can click back through to leave rate the restaurant and leave comments.

I love it. No more messing around trying to find takeout menus. No more repeating my order on the phone because the person on the other end is in a noisy kitchen.

I know I'm raving. They should be paying me for advertising. (They aren't, in case anyone was wondering.)

Damn, no delivery to my zip! My only online ordering experience has been with Domino's (please don't judge me :angry: ) and that works great.

On a tangential note, about 17 years ago, my colleague Don Hopkins wrote what was likely the first online takeout/delivery ordering tool while working at Sun Microsystems. You launched the PizzaTool client/server app, composed your pizza on your desktop, then hit "fax order", and a faxmodem would transmit the order to nearby Tony & Alba's pizza, which of course only had telephones for connectivity back then. -> PizzaTool <-

snap in georgetown has started deliveries!

you can now order crêpes, fish + chips, belgian frites, okonomiyaki, indian chaat, bubble teas and lassis.

we are delivering to georgetown, glover park, foggy bottom, dupont, kalorama, adams morgan , wesley heights, rosslyn, arlington.

you can go to www.snap.foodler.com

Margarita

owner

www.snapcrepes.com