Delivery Options

Anyone else use foodler.com for takeout or delivery? I came across it about a month or so, and it's a revelation.

You type in your zip, and it gives you a list of restaurants that deliver to your address (a substantial list, where I live -- at least 20). When you click on the restaurant, you then get a clickable menu where you can place your order. The site then faxes your order to the restaurant. You can pay by credit card online or by cash when they deliver. There's also a takeout option if you want to pick up the food yourself.

It's free to the customer -- all the costs are paid by the restaurant. Some of the restaurants use takeout taxi, which has an extra fee, but they are clearly marked.

Oh, and there are also lists of the "most popular" dishes ordered from the restaurant that week, and there's a section for reviews/ feedback -- once you've place your order, you get an email and then you can click back through to leave rate the restaurant and leave comments.

I love it. No more messing around trying to find takeout menus. No more repeating my order on the phone because the person on the other end is in a noisy kitchen.

I know I'm raving. They should be paying me for advertising. (They aren't, in case anyone was wondering.)

This is a dangerous dangerous site. Ordering food is way too easy :blink: Everything posted above is true. It's got restaurants I didn't know delivered and that I haven't even heard of. All I had to do was click and baby wontons and mapo tofu are on the way. I didn't even know that I could get baby wontons and mapo tufo around here, let alone have it delivered! I may need a site blocker.

This is a dangerous dangerous site. Ordering food is way too easy :P Everything posted above is true. It's got restaurants I didn't know delivered and that I haven't even heard of. All I had to do was click and baby wontons and mapo tofu are on the way. I didn't even know that I could get baby wontons and mapo tufo around here, let alone have it delivered! I may need a site blocker.

Ugh, I am dying for good chinese delivery! From where did you order?? What area do you live in? Tried to get Great Wall Szechuan to deliver to Woodley Park, but they weren't capable of navigating to this area. :blink: I feel like the only good delivery for Woodley is Heritage Glover Park or Thai (I do the Regent, but am meaning to try Thai X-ing). I wish there were more options, especially as the weather gets colder!

In about a month, Jenny Uptown will become Jenny Downtown. I just bought a place near the Convention Center so I need to know: who delivers in that part of town? I'm familiar with the dine-in and take-out options, so I'm just hoping to hear some good news re: delivery on lazy nights.

In about a month, Jenny Uptown will become Jenny Downtown. I just bought a place near the Convention Center so I need to know: who delivers in that part of town? I'm familiar with the dine-in and take-out options, so I'm just hoping to hear some good news re: delivery on lazy nights.
Banana Leaves delivers here, and it is pretty good. Rice is a decent option. Otherwise, we seem to be stuck with a la cart options, which are not too great. I would love to hear if anyone knows of anything else decent.

(I have also tried to get delivery from Thai X-ing on several occasions, which would be excellent, but I have thus far been unsuccessful. Each time I have tried to order, I am told that there is no delivery that night. This makes sense because it is such a tiny little operation, but it is a bit of an annoying tease. I haven't tried in several months though, so if anyone is actually getting delivery from there, I would love to know so that I can try again.)

There's not much that I know of either. I usually resort to Kanlaya for Thai delivery. Hit and miss, but it's delivery.

(I have also tried to get delivery from Thai X-ing on several occasions, which would be excellent, but I have thus far been unsuccessful. Each time I have tried to order, I am told that there is no delivery that night. This makes sense because it is such a tiny little operation, but it is a bit of an annoying tease. I haven't tried in several months though, so if anyone is actually getting delivery from there, I would love to know so that I can try again.)

Last time I stopped in for takeout, I asked about this, and I'm pretty sure they said they would deliver on Friday or Saturday evenings (not positive about this though, as it was a couple months ago and my memory is a bit hazy).

Also, check out foodler.com. It's not an exhaustive list, but once you log in and give them your address, it brings up a list of available restaurants that will deliver to that address. My wife and I live in Penn Quarter and there aren't many delivery options down here that I am aware of, aside from Thai Chili and Sushi-Go-Round. I think Chop't salad also delivers. That's what they say on their menus anyway, and it might only be during the week/business day.

As an aside, I got the best chirashi I've had in a long time, from Sushi-Go-Round surprisingly. It had real crab meat, uni, good shrimp and was a shockingly large portion.

New-to-me NW options:

Siam House, which I haven't tried yet but, unlike Thai X-ing, delivers during the week.

Siam House is pretty good. I live nearby so I've eaten in, done carry out, and recently did delivery (which was quick). The menu is almost identical to Sala Thai and many other local thai joints, but I find the food to be fresher. Unlike Sala Thai the chicken is not rubbery and overcooked/pre-cooked. It also has a very friendly staff. My picks are chicken pad thai and pra ram (although it was a bit spciy despite lacking a chili on the menu). Still it has some misses though on the menu - recently, the Pad See Eew wasn't that great and noodles were overcooked. I'd definitely recommend it, especially for carryout or delivery.

Also, check out foodler.com. It's not an exhaustive list, but once you log in and give them your address, it brings up a list of available restaurants that will deliver to that address.

I'm a little puzzled by foodler- putting in my Clarendon/Court House zip mostly brings up places in DC that will deliver out here, but misses all the delivery standbys (Delhi Dhaba, etc.) that are right down the street. It's wonderful to know that there are some DC places that will cross the Potomac Sea for delivery, but if you're new to an area it seems that it will miss your neighborhood gems.

Can anyone explain to me why delivery guys, nine times out of ten, call you from their cell phones when they arrive at your apartment building? And then are surprised and annoyed when you ask them to hang up and ring from the box so I can buzz them up and they can come to my door? Sure, maybe they're tired, maybe they're lazy, maybe they're worried about a ticket--whatever. But I will give you a bigger tip if you ACTUALLY COME TO MY DOOR. I'm only on the second floor! If I wanted to put effort into it, I wouldn't have called for delivery in the first place, right?

Is it just me or do they do this to everyone?

Can anyone explain to me why delivery guys, nine times out of ten, call you from their cell phones when they arrive at your apartment building? And then are surprised and annoyed when you ask them to hang up and ring from the box so I can buzz them up and they can come to my door? Sure, maybe they're tired, maybe they're lazy, maybe they're worried about a ticket--whatever. But I will give you a bigger tip if you ACTUALLY COME TO MY DOOR. I'm only on the second floor! If I wanted to put effort into it, I wouldn't have called for delivery in the first place, right?

Is it just me or do they do this to everyone?

I don't live in an apartment or get delivery, so this is just a guess, but they may feel less safe actually going into the building. (I've read a lot of your posts over time, but I'm not sure where you are now.)

I don't live in an apartment or get delivery, so this is just a guess, but they may feel less safe actually going into the building. (I've read a lot of your posts over time, but I'm not sure where you are now.)

Adams Morgan. And I'm a pussy cat! :lol:

Interesting, though--hadn't thought of that...

Can anyone explain to me why delivery guys, nine times out of ten, call you from their cell phones when they arrive at your apartment building?
They call from their cell phones when they arrive at your house too, IME. (Except the guy from Taqueria DF) And yes, they're surprised when you are at home and are expecting the food to arrive at your door.

Can anyone explain to me why delivery guys, nine times out of ten, call you from their cell phones when they arrive at your apartment building?

Do you have parking out front? IME, the answer is so they can watch their ride to make sure no-one gives them a ticket while they go upstairs.

Fitting that this should be my first post, but I order delivery more than I should and I live in Logan Circle. So here's a list in no particular order:

1. Chinese: Virtually always Great wall. I only really ever order the ma la (the rest is so so at best) and my record time from phone hang up to knock on the door is 9 minutes.

2.Pizza: I alternate between Baffetto and Duccini's. Both are very good options but totally different.

3. Thai: I'd order regent if I could, but I'm a block outside the delivery radius. I usually go with thai tanic (alright) or sometimes simply home (better, but more expensive). Have yet to try thai x-ing, but looking forward to it.

4. Wings: Wingos is very good. I used to order from wings over washington, but it's far and I think wingos is better.

Hope this helps.

4. Wings: Wingos is very good. I used to order from wings over washington, but it's far and I think wingos is better.
Welcome! Do they deliver to K St downtown? I am trying to find places to deliver or pick up near my temp job near Java Green.

Welcome! Do they deliver to K St downtown? I am trying to find places to deliver or pick up near my temp job near Java Green.

I think it would depend on your cross street: the higher the number, the more likely. they're in Georgetown, but I suspect they have a wide delivery radius (I'm a little over 2 miles from them).