Cafe Saint Ex / Gate 54, 14th & T Streets in 14UP - Owner Mike Benson and Chef Bobby Beard who Comes From The Atlas Room

What are folks' impressions of the food at Saint Ex these days? I'm too much of a fan of Bar Pillar to stop by Saint Ex much when I'm in the area, but we did have brunch there a few weeks ago when BP was too crowded, and we were sorely disappointed. Undercooked eggs over-easy (runny egg whites, yuck), with a cheese polenta that was cold, with unmelted cheddar sprinkled on top. Not an impressive effort by any stretch, but people still seem to pack it to the rafters. Maybe they just had an off day?

St Ex is around the corner from our home. It's the place we go to to avoid cooking. It's usually good and we can usually snag a table. I must admit that the last time I had the sweet potato fries they were soggy. The service is always good and the martinis are well made.

-Ed

What are folks' impressions of the food at Saint Ex these days?

Last night after a methodical progression through Adam Bernbach's final black session at Bar Pilar, I headed to the bar at Cafe Saint Ex for dinner. A Vande Rose Farm Hereford Sirloin ($23) is now being served with roasted zucchini, pickled ramps, and toasted cashew butter (which refreshingly reflects the season; their website currently lists an older prep). This was a good little steak, simply grilled and flavorful, and both the zucchini and ramps (especially the ramp greens) made it seem like a late-Spring cookout. The only two problems with the dish were the presentation of the butter, hastily cut and flung on top of the steak, which made the entire plating seem rushed (I know that sounds severe, but you had to see it), and more importantly, the price, $23 being a few dollars too expensive for this relatively small entree (which should be priced at $18-19, or at least include some fries).

Still, it was a good presentation from a fairly stressed kitchen, and more importantly, I was fortunate enough to be seated next to one of our city's future rock stars, Jon Harris. You might not know Jon - yet - but he is absolutely one of the finest bartenders in town, and is currently working at The Gibson most evenings - he's one of only a few people I'd put blind trust in and simply say, "wing me something, whatever you feel like making." Do search him out when you hit The Gibson, and place yourselves in his capable hands.

Cheers,

Rocks.

I'm eating there on Monday for lunch. Anything exception that's a "can't miss" entree?

Do you mean "Saint-Ex" on U Street? I haven't eaten there, but this Board craves comparisons of burgers, and the South Meadow Farms Grilled Burger would be a welcomed review. Other than that, the menu looks pricey....

Do you mean "Saint-Ex" on U Street? I haven't eaten there, but this Board craves comparisons of burgers, and the South Meadow Farms Grilled Burger would be a welcomed review. Other than that, the menu looks pricey....

Saint Ex it is...no wonder I couldn't find anything about it. Sorry about that... At least it didn't come out Satan Ex.

I'm eating there on Monday for lunch. Anything exception that's a "can't miss" entree?

They are closed for lunch on Mondays. Which, sorry to say, I think is a good thing for you. I got a burger from Saint-Ex a few months ago (caveat: to go), and it was...terrible. Dry, overcooked, tasteless.