Potomac Vegetable Farms

Got some nice white corn and Beefsteak and San Marzano tomatoes from the Potomac Vegetable Farms stand on Rt. 7 yesterday. They've got a patch behind the stand with beans, squash, and okra at the moment - and presumably will have corn and tomatoes from there in a couple of weeks, as well as from their place in western Loudoun.

Edit: ooh, I just became a clam! Does this mean I get a free copy of Battlefield Earth? :P

Edited by Hannah

I picked up my first bag of vegetables this evening on my way home from work. (The drop is literally 2-3 blocks off of my commute route home--Guinea Road!)

We got a head of red-leaf lettuce, a head of escarole, a head of another lettuce-type green, a bunch of salad turnips, a stalk of green garlic, a bunch of garlic scapes, two sweet Walla-Walla onions, and a small bundle of flat-leaf parsley. An unexpected bonus was an early delivery of our flower share (we paid an extra fee for that) in the form of a bunch of Sweet William. Everything looks very fresh and clean.

This CSA is a little more expensive than Bull Run Mountain Farm, which we joined last year, but the convenience of no more than a 5-minute delay in my homeward commute vs. an hour's trip after work once a week last year is worth every penny. In addition, PVF packages each share in a color-coded canvas bag, so all I have to do is check off my name and take a green bag, which I return the next week. Bull Run's operation was a little more DIY, in that we got a canvas tote at the beginning of the season, and each week we brought our own plastic bags to select the designated quantity of each item, as listed on a white board.

I'm looking forward to a great summer and fall vegetable season!

Today I picked up my first bag of the season, and already we can see that it is going to be a much better year, thanks to all the rain. After 2 years of droughts, maybe we'll enjoy an abundance through the summer.

Our green bag (regular share) was full today. We received a large bunch of kale, a small bunch of rainbow Swiss chard, 2 heads of Romaine lettuce, one onion, a bunch of garlic curls, a head of escarole, about 2 quarts of salad mix, 3 heads of mei quing choi, a fist-full bunch of oregano, and a slightly smaller bunch of basil, and a special treat: a pint of the sweetest-smelling strawberries.

I posted a photo of our haul on my Facebook page.