Picnic at Belle Haven Park, Alexandria

hillvalley

I suspect that more than one kind of brownie would be welcome (mine are plain, plain, plain chocolate goodness). Besides, I have no problem divving up the leftovers.

Those lamb sausages sound AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: (I love lamb sausage, save for those horrid "garlic and mint" ones at Whole Paycheck ;)

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I suspect that more than one kind of brownie would be welcome (mine are plain, plain, plain chocolate goodness).  Besides, I have no problem divving up the leftovers.

Mine are dark chocolate cinnamon. OK - I'm switching to those. No such thing as too many brownies.

It looks like we have a Mediterranean theme going but if you have something else in mind, please feel free to bring it!!!

I have no idea what I'm bringing, we'll see what I'm in the mood for as we get closer to the date. :lol:

If anyone has any questions or would like to join us and doesn't want to post it please feel free to email me. We need some fresh faces at our shin digs.

Rain or shine I guess anything goes, right?

Maybe we should bring some sports gears for :lol:   volleyball? rugby? frisbee?—anyone?  It should be fun!

Not sure yet of what to bring either.  We’ll see, as it gets closer. :P

A DR.com rugby game? That would be interesting ;) !

Not sure what I am going to bring, but it will include some sort of dessert.

You'll hear no complaints from me if the menu for the picnic turns out to be brownie, brownie, smoked pork, brownie, lamb sausage, brownie, brownie and maybe some fruit.

I second this, though I'd like to add mktye's breadly delights, which I've been craving since reports of eG's picnic last year. So glad we've chosen the 22nd, as the 15th is my wedding shower (so a little bird tells me... or is it the 22nd? I've already been getting the wedding date wrong, so there's no telling)

As we're in mid-move, it's hard to envision anything edible emerging from the fallout that is our kitchen, but I suppose with a month to go until the picnic I have no excuse. We'll bring wine and possibly something sweet (brownies?). I'll try to get Dinerboy to join me after he gets off work. Looking forward to the very first DR.com picnic!

-Martha

I'll check with Mr. BLB and see if we can come. (Anniversery is the next day--just not sure what we're doing or when...)  And I have to check the National's schedule. 

Be gentle, I'm an outing virgin....

Jennifer

I know that this was rather tongue in cheek, but...

Several people out there may view our little merry band of pranksters as some high school clique with inside jokes and all the other accoutrements of teen-age torture. Well, there are some inside jokes around, but to tell you the truth, I don't know a lot of these people any better than you do.

The first time I met any of them was at the eG outing at Sette Osteria which occurred about this time last year. The first time I met Rocks face to face was the day after Thanksgiving last year.

In short, don't be nervous that you're trying to break into some group of long standing friends. We're merely a bunch of people who love good food and drink that are just starting to develop a community and getting to know one another.

We don't bite.

At least we don't bite humans.

Well, unless asked to. :lol:

I would, however, get a little nervous if you see a guy walking towards you wearing nothing but chaps and a Fat Albert t-shirt. ;)

I would, however, get a little nervous if you see a guy walking towards you wearing nothing but chaps and a Fat Albert t-shirt. :lol:

Unfortunately I won't be able to attend due to impending senility. I would happily send the chaps and Fat Albert shirt along if someone else would like to wear them.

I would like to add that this is not an exclusive group. It is, rather, unusual for DC in that NOBODY will ask you what you do for a living (if anything) and then walk away if it isn't of use to them. In fact, I don't know what most of these folks do, with the exception of a handful I've actually gotten to know.

Despite implications to the contrary, this is actually a polite crowd. And, because, after all, this is the DC area, a lot of interesting folk.

What have you got to lose? The food and drink will certainly be better than at your average picnic; I can't imagine anyone reading this would even think of bringing a box of wine. :lol:

It is kinda of competitive, in that regard. Your stomach will thank you.

Barbara

I can't imagine anyone reading this would even think of bringing a box of wine. :lol:

Unless it is a box with 12 bottles in it.

edited to add: I like this. Finally - a place where I can sit back and make snarky comments and not feel out of place or in danger of banishment. Its been a while. ;)

I would like to add that this is not an exclusive group.  It is, rather,  unusual for DC in that NOBODY will ask you what you do for a living (if anything) and then walk away if it isn't of use to them.  In fact, I don't know what most of these folks do, with the exception of a handful I've actually gotten to know.

It's true. They even let me in and I do absolutely nothing of interest! ;)

Barbara, I'm bringing a box of wine just for you, and some jelly jars to drink it from. :lol:

No, No, No, Heather.

While I AM one of those people who think wine tastes better drunk from crystal, I consider jelly jars a major step up from plastic (of which, I suspect, we will have an abundance at this gathering). There is Nothing, NOTHING I TELL YOU, which can make boxed wine taste good. And, my DH and I pride ourselves on finding the good stuff among the cheap stuff. It's kind of a hobby, born of necessity, as much as an art. We have to drink quite a bit in pursuit of the good stuff that doesn't break the bank. :lol:

Barbara

I have a portable BBQ that can be carried to anywhere. I sometimes put it in my truck and make my meatballs ready and take everyhitng to the harbor in DC to sell.

it seems like people like my meatballs ;)

Im also plannning to bring some of my best hamburgers (of course made by me)

and some grape juice.

I mean it here it is grape juice. alcohol free :lol:

Ferhat, would it be possible for you to bring some of your wonderful hurma? You could certainly sell that as well! :lol:

I will bring LOTS of wine... I will also see if I can get my Weber into the car and report back if it works.

I am wondering if it is possible to run some kind of sign-up list (in a separate thread) of who brings what that all of us can access to input what each of us is bringing. In manner of registry or similar. Just so we don't end up with twenty thousand bottles of wine (not that they cannot be used) and not a single napkin. Or thirty side dishes with no protein.

I guess we need to bring this up to the attention of computer whiz kids CoP.gif on this board - I do know we have some. Is this sort of thing possible or practical?

P.S. And with that, I'm a grouper.

I have kept a running list going off line. I don't want to clutter up the board with other threads or this kind of post until we got closer to the date. Some us still have to get through Mother's Day before we can think about the picnic.

I'll post a list of what we have so far in the next day or so others can start thinking about what they want to bring and what we still need.

My all time fave ethnic sandwich:

Marmite and roasted peanuts on crappy store bought white bread slathered with margarine (preferrable Country Crock) .  Does a Brit proud sniff, sniff.

What a shame you won't be coming to the picnic with some of these for all of us to try! :lol:

Here is the current running list of who is coming and what they are bringing. Instead of having a ton of random lists going, I'll update this one every couple of days as needed. Feel free to post or email me with any changes I should make.

Heather+3-oatmeal cookies and salad

Mrs. & Mr. B+2-SAUSAGES :lol:

Mktye +1-BREAD ;)

MelGold

Barbara=1-Mediterranean potato salad, beer, brownies

Peanut +2 1) greek salad of some sort

2) Whipped Feta

3) A yoghurt dip (probably dried apricot and garlic)

4) Some other dip

5) Pita

Laniloa-brownies and green bean salad

Buckinghamilton& Diner Boy

Nadya-booze, fruit salad and caviar if she has any left

Ferhat-hamburgers & bbq

Erin-Wine and grill?

Cracker+1-lemon wings & paper goods

simdelish

I'm too tired to find an eloquent way of saying this so here goes: we would love to have more new faces at the picnic. Don't worry about your cooking skills, we are more interested in the company.

Hi - I am new to this site, but have been to events from the Chowhound board.

I was thinking about joining for the picnic and bringing my kids (6 & 3). Anyone else bringing kids? What ages?

Just trying to see if my kids would fit into the demograpics.

Also, any suggestions on what else to bring.

Let me know.

Thanks.

I was thinking about joining for the picnic and bringing my kids (6 & 3).  Anyone else bringing kids?  What ages?

Let me know.

Thanks.

welcome hm212. It'll be great to have you.

There will be a number of kids.

Peanut is 8 months

Whopper Jr. (Stretch's) is 5 months(?)

Heather's kids are 5 and 2

Mrs B's kids are teens

Mrs JPW often tells me that I have the mentality of a 7 year old.

I was thinking about joining for the picnic and bringing my kids (6 & 3).  Anyone else bringing kids?  What ages?

My kids are 5 (almost 6) and just turned 3. They will appreciate having some other kids to play with. :lol:

welcome hm212. It'll be great to have you.

There will be a number of kids.

Peanut is 8 months

Whopper Jr. (Stretch's) is 5 months(?)

Heather's kids are 5 and 2

Mrs B's kids are teens

Mrs JPW often tells me that I have the mentality of a 7 year old.

I've been told on more than one occaision that I act like I'm in the 3rd grade.

I really want to come with my +1, but jenrus is having sinus surgery that Thursday. I may have to make a game-time decision if she either A) feels up to going out or :lol: wants me to get the hell out of the house.

Let me know.

Thanks.

Welcome hm212. If you are not familiar, Montrose Park is uber kid friendly (at least when my kids were your kids ages they loved the place). There's typical tot-lot stuff but also all of Rock Creek to hike around and a boxwood maze for hide and seek.

Perhaps we should try to round up a wiffle ball and bet set, perhaps a frisbee? I bet some of the older folks would join in too.

Alright, I'm more 'in' now than I was before, since I probably won't be moving until early June (Heck, if I can pull it off, I'm moving like 100 feet down the hall!). What's more, I have the previous week off, so I have several days to obsess over what to make!

I have a cold asian chicken salad that I can bring (unless that will clash with the middle eastern/med theme)...at the very least put me down for some plates/napkins (and +1 guest).

Don't worryy about any theme. I'm bringing smoked pork butt with Lexington North Carolina style; barbecue sauce. I'd still like to know if Mr. B is coming and wheether or not he will be doing his lamb sausages again.

edited to add: And maybe Nadya will be bringing some cavier back from Russia?

Mr. B is planning on attending and bringing the lamb sausage if that's what is demanded of him (maybe these won't be quite so explosive). He's also making noise about putting cheese in another variety of sausage. I'm skeptical but he hits more than he misses so I'll humor him.

Do we have a grill lined up?

Count me in, hillvalley. I'm thinking of bringing marinated pork bbq and maybe something else. If you think we have too much bbq stuff, I'm open to bringing other alternatives or suggestions. I think the company will be SUPERB! :lol: