Picnic at Belle Haven Park, Alexandria

hillvalley

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've recieved a couple of questions about who is bringing what so I thought I would post an updated list.

Heather+3-oatmeal cookies and salad

Mrs. & Mr. B+2-Suasages

Mktye +1-

MelGold-cold Asian chicken salad

Barbara+1-Mediterranean potato salad, beer, brownies

Peanut +2 1) Greek salad of some sort

2) Whipped Feta

3) A yogurt dip (probably dried apricot and garlic)

4) Some other dip

5) Pita

Laniloa-brownies and green bean salad

Buckinghamilton& Diner Boy

Nadya-booze, fruit salad and caviar if she has any left

Ferhat-hurma & bbq

Erin+1-Wine and grill?

Cracker+1-lemon wings & paper goods

simdelish-ventworm cake?

Stretch+1 1/2-Summer chicken marinated in garlic and herbs. Avo/Kiwi sambal

hm212+2-

walrus & tripewriter-something sweet

Jacques Gastreaux-smoked butt

Rissa P-marinated pork bbq

mdt-Porchetta alla Nonna

bilrus+1?

shogun

bkeith-ventworm cake?

hannah+1-strawberry cupcakes?

The more food the better :lol:

Edited by hillvalley

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I have been doing some looking into the regulatory environment surrounding Montrose Park. There is a very clear prohibition on "amplified music." It would be best if we didn't do anything disrespectful of park regulations. So the advice is: please leave the amplified music devices at home. If anyone wants more exposition on this, feel free to PM me.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I have been doing some looking into the regulatory environment surrounding Montrose Park. There is a very clear prohibition on "amplified music." It would be best if we didn't do anything  disrespectful of park regulations. So the advice is: please leave the amplified music devices at home. If anyone wants more exposition on this, feel free to PM me.

Only a lawyer would think of this... :lol:

I'm not going to the picnic, but just wanted to let you guys know, in case you haven't heard: On Sunday from 2 pm to 6 pm, there will be a wake for Joseph Pozell at Oak Hill Cemetery, adjacent to Montrose Park. Pozell is the voluntary traffic officer who died this week after being hit by an SUV while on duty. He was a beloved member of the community and the superintendent of the cemetery, so his wake is likely to draw literally hundreds of people to the cemetery and the surrounding area on Sunday afternoon. (I realize it's kind of off-topic, but thought you would want to know this will be going on.)

Rhodegirl:

Thanks for the tip.  We are working on Plan B.  Stay tuned.

We are looking into alternative locations for Sunday. If you have a suggestion please EMAIL me. I will let you all know when we have come up with a solution.

The weather is supposed to be beautiful!

If all else fails, my skating rink can be rented out. We can set up food and drink in center-ice and party it up.

Or, we can set up drinks at the entrance, and food center-ice. So you'll have to get to food already boozy and on skates. Think how much fun pictures will be.

Right now, we are looking at Belle Haven Park. It is right next to the Potomoc River one-mile South of Alexandria, right off of the GW Parkway. No permits are needed, we can bring grills, some other "issues" remain, but I don't think there are any size of party limitations. Plus, there is ample parking and "facilities."

Any thoughts on this change of venue?

Right now, we are looking at Bell Haven Park.  It is right next to the Potomoc River one-mile South of Alexandria, right off of the GW Parkway.  No permits are needed, we can bring grills, some other "issues" remain, but I don't think there are any size of party limitations.  Plus, there is ample parking and "facilities." 

Any thoughts on this change of venue?

Sounde better than anything that I could think of.

Plus, it'll give me an excuse to stop by Cheesetique.

Unless you hear otherwise, plan on showing up at Belle Haven. I'll post directions later.

We now need people to volunteer to get there early and reserve the spot. Please let Jacques Gastreaux or me know if you can help. The earlier we get there the better chance we have of getting the space and picnic tables we need.

In the interest of not clogging up the thread again with who is coming and who isn't, please email me only if you can no longer join us. If I don't hear from you I will assume you are coming.

I'll post an updated list of who is bringing what when I get home this evening.

If one were to wake up Sunday and want to attend, what would one bring??

I second this question. Not to keep JPW from enjoying any chance he can to visit Cheesetique, it happens to be on a direct line from my residence to the picnic site, and would be happy to stop by and put together a small selection.

I second this question.  Not to keep JPW from enjoying any chance he can to visit Cheesetique, it happens to be on a direct line from my residence to the picnic site, and would be happy to stop by and put together a small selection.

Who ever said I was going to get anything for yinz guys? :lol:

If one were to wake up Sunday and want to attend, what would one bring??

Mark:

What ever you do DO NOT BRING WINE. :lol:

After that, take a look at the list of attendees and see what is slated to show up. Then you could either bring something similar or different. It looks like CF already took the Cheesetique idea, which is one I already suggested to shogun, by the way.

Edited by Jacques Gastreaux

As promised, here is the current list:

Heather+3-oatmeal cookies and salad

Mrs. & Mr. B+2-Suasages

Mktye +1-

MelGold-cold Asian chicken salad

Barbara+1-guacamole, beer, brownies

Peanut +2 1) Greek salad of some sort

2) Whipped Feta

3) A yogurt dip (probably dried apricot and garlic)

4) Some other dip

5) Pita

Laniloa-brownies and green bean salad

Buckinghamilton& Diner Boy

Nadya-booze, fruit salad and caviar if she has any left

Ferhat-hurma & bbq

Erin+1-Wine and grill?

Cracker+1-lemon wings & paper goods

simdelish-ventworm cake?

Stretch+1 1/2-Summer chicken marinated in garlic and herbs. Avo/Kiwi sambal

hm212+2-

walrus & tripewriter-something sweet

Jacques Gastreaux-smoked butt

Rissa P-marinated pork bbq

mdt-Porchetta alla Nonna

babka

shogun-something?

bkeith-ventworm cake?

hannah+1-strawberry cupcakes?

DCMark & CF (and anyone else who would like to join us)-looks like we could use some appetizer type dishes or another veggie or two. But feel free to bring whatever you feel like eating :lol:

We have seemed to have lost our transportation to the picnic (conflicting schedules, etc.), so if any of you are coming through Adams Morgan on your way to Belle Haven and have room for Craig and me and our ice chest, we would appreciate the lift.

PM me if you can accomodate us.

Thanks,

Barbara

Can u balance it all on the back of my motorcycle?

We have seemed to have lost our transportation to the picnic (conflicting schedules, etc.), so if any of you are coming through Adams Morgan on your way to Belle Haven and have room for Craig and me and our ice chest, we would appreciate the lift.

PM me if you can accomodate us.

Thanks,

Barbara

Misc:

1. We need some people to help "sit" on the picnic tables. My plan is to go to the park on Saturday evening and corral some picnic tables, rope them off, and then "refresh" the claim on Sunday morning at about 8:30 (I exercise my dog in the park on weekend mornings). I can stay for about an hour but to be on the safe side, we should have people there holding the spot the entire morning. Because the forecast is so good (clear, upper 70s), I expect competition for tables. Please PM me if you can volunteer to put in an hour or so Sunday morning.

2. Does anyone need a grill? There are no grills at Belle Haven but you can bring your own. While I will not need to grill anything, I can bring a weber (gas ignited charcoal). If nobody says anything, I will leave it at home. (I also have a propane Coleman stove I can bring if anyone needs heat)

3. Suggestions for things to bring: It looks like we are somewhat weak in the carb category. Previously, we had a potato salad on the list, but it's gone. Perhaps something in the macaroni category as well (cold pesto!).

4. Directions: Belle Haven Park is on the GW Parkway about 1 mile south of Old Town, Alexandria. The GW Parkway turns into Washington Street through Old Town and picks up again once you cross the beltway (lots of construction). The Park is adjacent to the Belle Haven Marina. Turn East (toward the river) off the Parkway at the Marina exit and then make the immediate left. There are 3 parking lots, take your pick. But, if you park in the lot with a blue Chevy Suburban in it with license plates that say "Calhun," you will be in the right spot.

5. Transportation: There are 2 nearby Metro Stations: King Street and Huntington (both Yellow/Blue Lines). If need be, perhaps we could arrange a pick-up from the Metro station to Belle Haven Park.

6. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

edited to add: And: in the refrigerator I have two pork butts brining and a jar of NC style bbq sauce steeping. The butts go into the smoker tomorrow AM.

Edited by Jacques Gastreaux

3.  Suggestions for things to bring:  It looks like we are somewhat weak in the carb category.  Previously, we had a potato salad on the list, but it's gone.  Perhaps something in the macaroni category as well (cold pesto!). 

I'll be bringing my world famous pasta salad. :lol:

3.  Suggestions for things to bring:  It looks like we are somewhat weak in the carb category.  Previously, we had a potato salad on the list, but it's gone.  Perhaps something in the macaroni category as well (cold pesto!).
I will most likely be bringing appetizer-y breads & spreads (unless I change my mind... but whatever I end up bringing, it will be full 'o carbs!)
5.  Transportation:  There are 2 nearby Metro Stations:  King Street and Huntington (both Yellow/Blue Lines).  If need be, perhaps we could arrange a pick-up from the Metro station to Belle Haven Park.
The Braddock Metro station (and King Street station) will be on our way and we can help with shuttle service. Edited by mktye

Heather:

I, for one, have been thinking about those cookies ever since you mentioned them at Hank''s on Wednesday.

Since I seem to have transporation, I will be making the guacamole (Safeway has Hass avocados on sale this week!), along with potato salad and brownies.

Doesn't look as if I'll have time to fool with the ventworm cake... :lol:

but can probably whip up a roasted sweet potato& onion salad (good with all that pork) and maybe some homemade salsa with chips.

But, if you're counting on a cake of some kind... I could throw together an easy good-old-fashioned lemon sheet cake....?

We still have not resolved the grill issue. If you need a grill at the picnic please PM me or Jacques ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If we don't hear from anyone there will not be a grill.

Are any of you with children bringing drinks for them? Is anyone bringing nonalcoholic adult-type beverages?

Are any of you with children bringing drinks for them?  Is anyone bringing nonalcoholic adult-type beverages?

We will be amply stocked with kid beverages (for ours and others' :lol: ) - water and lemonade most likely. We'd be happy to throw a 12 pack of sodas in the car too if need be.

We still have not resolved the grill issue.  If you need a grill at the picnic please PM me or Jacques ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  If we don't hear from anyone there will not be a grill.

Are any of you with children bringing drinks for them?  Is anyone bringing nonalcoholic adult-type beverages?

The Mr. & I will toss our trusty Weber L'il Smoker (special Simpson's edition natch) into the jeep together with some charcoal just in case. Not for big jobs however.

We could use some help "sitting" the area we hope to reserve Sunday morning. If you can spare an hour in the morning (that's a hint to all you people in Va.!) please drop me a PM.

We are covered for the most part but it is by people who should not be volunteering this much time.

Also, as of now there will be no grill other than the Busboy's portable Webber (assuming it doesn't catch fire again this year :lol: ) Since Al isn't bringing his wings there doesn't seem to be much of a need.

Hopefully there will be no other problems before Sunday!

But, if you're counting on a cake of some kind... I could throw together an easy good-old-fashioned lemon sheet cake....?
Yeah!  And I'll go ahead and make the cookies.

I'm still bringing the ice cream maker and various options for ice cream. And something cake-like will accompany me. No promises on what it'll look like since I did a number on my shoulder yesterday morning -- I may shoot my wad delivering this morning's wedding cake.

But it'll be interesting. And cakey.

And now, we have no water. I went to my farmers' market this am and found some lovely tomatoes and fresh basil for tomorrow's outing.

Clearly, if we don't have water by tomorrow morning, Craig and I are going to have to bow out. It's not that we think you lovely people wouldn't feed us; but without being able to shower, you might make us sit far away . . .

I'm posting this again because the original is now so far upthread that some might not see it:

Misc:

1. We need some people to help "sit" on the picnic tables. My plan is to go to the park on Saturday evening and corral some picnic tables, rope them off, and then "refresh" the claim on Sunday morning at about 8:30 (I exercise my dog in the park on weekend mornings). I can stay for about an hour but to be on the safe side, we should have people there holding the spot the entire morning. Because the forecast is so good (clear, upper 70s), I expect competition for tables. Please PM me if you can volunteer to put in an hour or so Sunday morning.

2. Does anyone need a grill? There are no grills at Belle Haven but you can bring your own. While I will not need to grill anything, I can bring a weber (gas ignited charcoal). If nobody says anything, I will leave it at home. (I also have a propane Coleman stove I can bring if anyone needs heat)

3. Suggestions for things to bring: It looks like we are somewhat weak in the carb category. Previously, we had a potato salad on the list, but it's gone. Perhaps something in the macaroni category as well (cold pesto!).

4. Directions: Belle Haven Park is on the GW Parkway about 1 mile south of Old Town, Alexandria. The GW Parkway turns into Washington Street through Old Town and picks up again once you cross the beltway (lots of construction). The Park is adjacent to the Belle Haven Marina. Turn East (toward the river) off the Parkway at the Marina exit and then make the immediate left. There are 3 parking lots, take your pick. But, if you park in the lot with a blue Chevy Suburban in it with license plates that say "Calhun," you will be in the right spot.

5. Transportation: There are 2 nearby Metro Stations: King Street and Huntington (both Yellow/Blue Lines). If need be, perhaps we could arrange a pick-up from the Metro station to Belle Haven Park.

6. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

edited to add: And: in the refrigerator I have two pork butts brining and a jar of NC style bbq sauce steeping. The butts go into the smoker tomorrow AM.

This post has been edited by Jacques Gastreaux: Yesterday, 12:29 PM

Plus, butts are in the smoker smoke'n. I had to get them an ash tray for their butts.