Mid Summer

Cranky, cranky, cranky...

Family obligations kept me from markets today; family obligations are keeping from Dupont and Takoma tomorrow.

When's my next best chance of getting decent nectarines and peaches and what remains of the cherrys? Are there any markets on Monday or Tuesday? A Sunday market that runs past 3 pm?

Sigh...

New Morning Farm at 36th and Alton is open on Tuesday from 4-8. They will have peaches, probably nectarines, corn, blueberries. There definitely won't be cherries, New Morning's season is over.

Wednesday there is a new Fresh Farm market in Foggy Bottom.

I dragged Mr. BLB along to help me carry stuff at Dupont this morning.

We bought Tomatoes at Wheatland and Gardeners Gourmet.

Smoked mozzerella at Blue Ridge; chevre at Firefly Farms.

Corn at Toigo.

Blackberries, plums and necatarines at Reids.

So far I've had one BLT and a tomato, cilantro, bacon and chevre salao today.

Lunch will be corn and probably another tomato.

I love August!

got a dozen ears of corn from Tiogo yesterday at Court House. It was yellow corn and pretty tasty....for yellow corn .....the tomatoes and white peaches from Tioga were........da bomb.
I tried some of that Toigo yellow corn too (from the Del Ray Market) and I have to agree that it IS tasty. Different from the white varieties, but still very sweet and maybe a little 'toothier'. I think I'll give it a try in a black bean salad.

Oh yes, those white peaches...mmmmmmm!

I picked up some really nice heirloom tomatoes from Reid's at the USDA market on Friday. They had a wonderful selection of really nice, very tasty, tomatoes. Enjoyed some freshly sliced Mr. Stripey on Firehook whole wheat with tuna for dinner last night (along with that yummy yellow corn)...

This time of year, when it's hard to get out of bed early on any morning, let alone the weekend, the farmers markets are my incentive. I got to New Morning Farm early enough to find that they still had blueberries and that donught peach season has begun. I also picked up the fixings, minus the tomatoes, for gaspacho and salsa. They also carry little white cucumbers that I haven't seen anywhere else. They are my favorite for soups because they are nice and meaty.

I also picked up a container of Pipe Dream Farm goat cheese that is going to go into the squash blossoms that I picked up at Mt. Pleasant. The blossoms were $2.50 for a container, and they still had the fruit on them! I now have garlic chives and parsley to go into the soup and cheese.

Is anyone find decent heirloom tomatoes out there? We've had merely so-so ones from all my usual suspect farms so far this summer.

Thanks!

Quality has been going up lately. This weeek is supposed to be a major improvement from the Tuscarora farmsers. We shall see.