Fields of Grace Farm

I can't go to Dupont tomorrow because of a commitment at my daughter's school. Since I go into withdrawal without a FM foray, I went to Arlington this morning--many purveyors are at both markets. New to me, though, were cheesemakers from Fields of Grace Farm in Remington, VA, there just for the winter market, offering tastes of their farmstead cows milk cheeses. Seriously good, is a raw milk cheddar, aging since September. $10.50 a pound. Having lived in Vermont for a number of years, I am hard to please when it comes to cheddar, and this is impressive--smooth textured with a complex, subtle flavor. Their cows are a Jersey-Holstein cross and the milk goes straight from the milking barn to the cheesemaking facility, which they recently built on their farm. Husband tends the cows, wife makes the cheese. They also have a lot of gimmicky stuff like herbed cheese curds and caraway cheddar--all made with pasteurized milk. I didn't even bother to taste anything except the aged cheddar, and I wasn't expecting much, but I was so pleasantly surprised by it, that I bought a nice chunk home. It's already almost gone...

Edited by zoramargolis

I can't go to Dupont tomorrow because of a commitment at my daughter's school. Since I go into withdrawal without a FM foray, I went to Arlington this morning--many purveyors are at both markets.  New to me, though, were cheesemakers from Fields of Grace Farm in Remington, VA, there just for the winter market, offering tastes of their farmstead cows milk cheeses. Seriously good, is a raw milk cheddar, aging since September. $10.50 a pound. Having lived in Vermont for a number of years, I am hard to please when it comes to cheddar, and this is impressive--smooth textured with a complex, subtle flavor. Their cows are a Jersey-Holstein cross and the milk goes straight from the milking barn to the cheesemaking facility, which they recently built on their farm. Husband tends the cows, wife makes the cheese. They also have a lot of gimmicky stuff like herbed cheese curds and caraway cheddar--all made with pasteurized milk. I didn't even bother to taste anything except the aged cheddar, and I wasn't expecting much, but I was so pleasantly surprised by it, that I bought a nice chunk home. It's already almost gone...

Do you know if they hit other markets in the area? Good to know they're making tasty cheddar. That Keswick Creamery stuff at Dupont is inedible. I think it's like eating clay.