Your Biggest Wines Of Each Decade

Wine Guy 23

What do yo uthink the biggest wine ofdecade has been? Does it deserve remeberance of quality assurance, or do you need to get insurance to drink that kind of juice?

For me recently I had the chance to taste the most controversial wine of the decade... Chateau Pavie 2003.. one writer raved, the other bawked and denied its acceptance. To whom should I side? Maybe, middle ground and say, maybe in 15 years it will evolve into balance of harmonious goodness? or maybe not... it is the same way (imagining) 1982 was forseen,, it was nearly just as hot, and that is what gave the vintage its great SCORE!!!.. have your say :angry:

You boys are in different decades - not even adjacent. That's what happens when you start threads at midnite. For me, 1982 Lafleur in Don's decade and 2001 Mordoree Reine des Bois CDP thus far in the millenium. In the skipped '90s, I'm going with '90 Rayas and '94 Harlan as my death row reds.

Speaking of Mr. Monkton, wasn't there around a 10 point differential between him and spectator for the 01 Mordoree Reine des Bois CdP?

Not sure what the Spectator gave the wine, nor do I care. Think Tanzer scored it in the mid 90s, but regardless, I've had it 3 times and every time it has been pure perfection. That said, Mordoree's ultra rare 2003 Plume du Peintre is probably as good, at least based on my single and glorious tasting of that elixir (at the IALW 2 months ago where they are selling it for less than it's current auction price).

Speaking of Mr. Monkton, wasn't there around a 10 point differential between him and spectator for the 01 Mordoree Reine des Bois CdP?

As far as Chateau Pavie 2003 is concerned, it falls into that category of personal opinion: either you like it or you don't. Actually, all wine falls into this category: no one, writers included, can tell you that you have to like something if it doesn't appeal to you. Parker raved and scored Pavie 100 points, Jancis Robinson called the wine "ridiculous" and started a war of words that was amusing to watch unfold.

For me, the most interesting and delicious wines I've tasted in the last year have been mostly older:

1962 Dom Perignon, recently disgorged and tasted at the Abbé de Haut Villers in Champagne with the Chef de Cave.

1990 Ermitage "Cuvée Cathelin", Domaine Jean-Louis Chave

1989 Chateau Cheval Blanc, St. Emilion Premier Grand Cru Classé A

2000 Chateau Angelus, St. Emilion Premier Grand Cru Classé B

As far as Chateau Pavie 2003 is concerned, it falls into that category of personal opinion: either you like it or you don't. Actually, all wine falls into this category: no one, writers included, can tell you that you have to like something if it doesn't appeal to you. Parker raved and scored Pavie 100 points, Jancis Robinson called the wine "ridiculous" and started a war of words that was amusing to watch unfold.

For me, the most interesting and delicious wines I've tasted in the last year have been mostly older:

1962 Dom Perignon, recently disgorged and tasted at the Abbé de Haut Villers in Champagne with the Chef de Cave.

1990 Ermitage "Cuvée Kathelin", Domaine Jean-Louis Chave

1989 Chateau Cheval Blanc, St. Emilion Premier Grand Cru Classé A

2000 Chateau Angelus, St. Emilion Premier Grand Cru Classé B

Its funny, when I called out the '90 Rayas at 3 this morning I was torn between that and Chave's uber '90 Ermitage (which, by the way, I believe is "Cathelin" - and the straight cuvee is not far behind). 2000 Angelus is amazing and still relatively cheap as bordeaux pricing goes. Surprised to hear about '89 Cheval. Own some but have not tasted in years and don't recall ever being wowed - at least not as compared to the Haut Brion boys and even the '89 Angelus. I am going to stand a bottle up soon. Never had the honor of tasting '62 Dom, but the Champagne and cave experience sound ridiculously cool.

Its funny, when I called out the '90 Rayas at 3 this morning I was torn between that and Chave's uber '90 Ermitage (which, by the way, I believe is "Cathelin" - and the straight cuvee is not far behind). 2000 Angelus is amazing and still relatively cheap as bordeaux pricing goes. Surprised to hear about '89 Cheval. Own some but have not tasted in years and don't recall ever being wowed - at least not as compared to the Haut Brion boys and even the '89 Angelus. I am going to stand a bottle up soon. Never had the honor of tasting '62 Dom, but the Champagne and cave experience sound ridiculously cool.

For me :

1966 Dom Perignon Oenotheque

1989 Petrus

1989 Chateau Beaucastel Hommage de Perrin

1987 Hill of Grace

2001 Colin Deleger Montrachet

each supremely delightful!!! Yet to be wowed by any of the 90's yet, besides maybe a 90 Clos st Hune, or 96 Mouton, or 98 Cheval Blanc

For me :

1966 Dom Perignon Oenotheque

1989 Petrus

1989 Chateau Beaucastel Hommage de Perrin

1987 Hill of Grace

2001 Colin Deleger Montrachet

each supremely delightful!!! Yet to be wowed by any of the 90's yet, besides maybe a 90 Clos st Hune, or 96 Mouton, or 98 Cheval Blanc

I particularly enjoyed the '97 Avignonesi Vino Nobile di Montepulciano Riserva Grande Annati. I would even go as far to say I was wowed...

I particularly enjoyed the '97 Avignonesi Vino Nobile di Montepulciano Riserva Grande Annati. I would even go as far to say I was wowed...

I loved this wine, and am very glad I still have a bottle of it left in the cellar, but some found it to be a little "bubble gummy" for their tastes. However, I think it is a matter of personal taste.

I don't have the experience with great wines that folks like Mark or Wineguy, but some of the best I've had recently were the '94 Ridge Montebello and the '85 Insignia.

I would have to say that 3 of the greatest wines I have ever had were drunk about 10 days ago: BV 1070 PR Georges de Latour, 70 Chappellet Cabernet, 1970 Mayacamas Cabernet. All were in perfect condition, with the Mayacamas still a young pup. The BV was silky and smooth, the Chappellet mountainous yest supple.

Another one I would put up there was 82 Cos. Monstrously big but not complex with loads of fruit.

1988 Costanti Riserva Brunello is another of the greats. Very lovely green olive & spice notes along with the typical tar and earth of Andrea's wines. Truly wonderful, Drunk at the winery (well Andrea's house 3km away) so the cellaring was perfect.

From the 1990's I go with Ridge Montebello 1990, too young to see where it is going fully but what a wine! 1999 Cerbaiona Brunello is in a class of its own. Silky yet powerful. 1999 Pertimali Brunello followed by 1999 costanti & Agostina Pieri then Ciacci (which is in a funky stage right now).

From 2000s I would have to go with 2001 Cerbaiona Brunello, Costanti 2001 Riserva, Pertimali 2001 Riserva, 2001 Collemattoni Normale & Riserva, 2003 Amistar Edizione. I could put the Grand Cru Alsace wines of Albert Mann in here as well: Steingrubler and Furstentum for Gewurz, Hengst & Furstentum for Tocai Pinot Gris. Also for a white how about Gravner Amphora Ribolla Gialla 2001.

Not a one of these wines are alcohol monsters, yet all these wineries strive for full ripeness and flavor. All are small (well Ridge is small when compared to a lot of big name wineries - all of Ridge's production is less than Opus 1's single wine). All are estate bottlers or have long term control over their vineyards. All have been working with their vineyards for a long time.

I would have to say that 3 of the greatest wines I have ever had were drunk about 10 days ago: BV 1070 PR Georges de Latour, 70 Chappellet Cabernet, 1970 Mayacamas Cabernet. All were in perfect condition, with the Mayacamas still a young pup. The BV was silky and smooth, the Chappellet mountainous yest supple.

Another one I would put up there was 82 Cos. Monstrously big but not complex with loads of fruit.

1988 Costanti Riserva Brunello is another of the greats. Very lovely green olive & spice notes along with the typical tar and earth of Andrea's wines. Truly wonderful, Drunk at the winery (well Andrea's house 3km away) so the cellaring was perfect.

From the 1990's I go with Ridge Montebello 1990, too young to see where it is going fully but what a wine! 1999 Cerbaiona Brunello is in a class of its own. Silky yet powerful. 1999 Pertimali Brunello followed by 1999 costanti & Agostina Pieri then Ciacci (which is in a funky stage right now).

From 2000s I would have to go with 2001 Cerbaiona Brunello, Costanti 2001 Riserva, Pertimali 2001 Riserva, 2001 Collemattoni Normale & Riserva, 2003 Amistar Edizione. I could put the Grand Cru Alsace wines of Albert Mann in here as well: Steingrubler and Furstentum for Gewurz, Hengst & Furstentum for Tocai Pinot Gris. Also for a white how about Gravner Amphora Ribolla Gialla 2001.

Not a one of these wines are alcohol monsters, yet all these wineries strive for full ripeness and flavor. All are small (well Ridge is small when compared to a lot of big name wineries - all of Ridge's production is less than Opus 1's single wine). All are estate bottlers or have long term control over their vineyards. All have been working with their vineyards for a long time.

cerbaiona is probaly one of the most amazing brunellos i have ever tasted. topping Biondi santi!!!

I would have to say that 3 of the greatest wines I have ever had were drunk about 10 days ago: BV 1070 PR Georges de Latour,

Assuming you mean 1970, I last had this wine at the Dining Room at the Ritz Carlton in Pentagon City when Gerard Pangaud was the chef - I remember it was exactly $100 on the list.

Assuming you really DO mean 1070, well, then just call me "Norman" Rockwell.

And no, for the 14,857,684th time, I'm not related. :blink:

From 2000s I would have to go with 2001 Cerbaiona Brunello

I had this last night and it was undrinkably young.