Tonight, a snapshot in time, trying to shed some light on the ongoing debate.

I spent nearly five hours visiting 2 Amys, Bebo, RedRocks, and Comet. A basic tomato-and-cheese pie was ordered at each.

The results were clear:

1. Comet
2. RedRocks
3. 2 Amys
4. Bebo

Details - and pictures - forthcoming.

Cheers,
Rocks.

---

[The following posts have been split into separate threads:

Mellow Mushroom (turbogrrl)]

I spent nearly five hours visiting 2 Amys, Bebo, RedRocks, and Comet. A basic tomato-and-cheese pie was ordered at each.

The results were clear:

1. Comet

2. RedRocks

3. 2 Amys

4. Bebo

Cheers,

Rocks.

Dang! That's amazing. Rocks, the pies you and I shared at Bebo were faultless, I thought. Can't imagine better ones.

The results were clear:

1. Comet

2. RedRocks

3. 2 Amys

4. Bebo

Cheers,

Rocks.

They must have seen you coming on upper Connecticut Rocks. The results for tonite may have been clear, but based on a lifetime of pizza eating Comet is not in the same league as Two Amys. Nor is Red Rock, though in my sole visit it showed better than any of my 3 visits to Comet. And then there is Sette Osteria (especially the Saisiccia a Cime di Rapa), the Rodney Dangerfield of DC pizza - in my view surpassed only by 2 Amys.

And then there is Sette Osteria (especially the Saisiccia a Cime di Rapa), the Rodney Dangerfield of DC pizza - in my view surpassed only by 2 Amys.
Tastes and opinions differ. None of the pizzas that I have ever had at Sette were even remotely good, much less in the same class as 2 Amy's. I have yet to try Comet.

Don,

With 65.000 miles on my year old car can you please stay away from discussing pizza. :angry: Well my friend, I can't really complain as your at least keeping it on the east coast. B)

They must have seen you coming on upper Connecticut Rocks. The results for tonite may have been clear, but based on a lifetime of pizza eating Comet is not in the same league as Two Amys. Nor is Red Rock, though in my sole visit it showed better than any of my 3 visits to Comet. And then there is Sette Osteria (especially the Saisiccia a Cime di Rapa), the Rodney Dangerfield of DC pizza - in my view surpassed only by 2 Amys.

Very interesting, can't wait to see the pics - I agree with hmmboy. Comet was easily the worst pizza I've had in DC the one time I was there...

We went to Red Rocks immediately after opening and were unimpressed. Has it improved as the place got broken in, or was it not a style to my liking?

Had a breakfast pizza at Sette the other morning and was pretty impressed.

An interesting snapshot in time.

Worth repeating several times to see if the results hold.

I have had undercooked pizzas at 2 Amys once or twice (out of dozens) and awful pizzas at Comet twice but I have not been back after the second. The first time the dough tasted of chlorine and I suggested that they triple filter their water. I found the tomato sauce slightly bitter both times.

Cafe Pizzaiolo???

Nothing better NY Style. Not to be a total shithead, but for fuck's sake, if you're sampling pizza at Bebo, you're only 5 minutes from Pizzaiola. It is my understanding that Pizzaiola has a deal where they pay their employees, too!

Alberto's stone pizza in Adams Morgan--actually pretty good for what it is-not anything like the tastless crap served all around it in that area. 1 slice equals 2 regular slices for $4.50 with toppings

Where da pics?

Click on Post #10

Some comments:

1) I've had several fantastic pizzas at Comet in the past, but my two prior to this visit were terrible, and mediocre, respectively. This pizza was fantastic in every way, and at $7.50? One of the best individual food values in town. The tomato sauce was revelatory compared with the other three pizzas, and although the cheese isn't "blotted" on in the traditional style, it's locally sourced from Blue Ridge Dairy in Leesburg and I thought it was terrific. Taste-wise, this was my favorite crust.

2) 2 Amys' pizzas have shown a consistent downturn in my last several visits, even though the "small things" keep rolling right along. This time, the crust had a bready consistency that was disturbingly similar to what I found at Pizzeria Paradiso the last time I went, though this was certainly better than that.

3) RedRocks' crust was what 2 Amys should have been (and used to be). Airy, chewy, and very complex, it was a pleasure to eat on its own. Texturally, this was my favorite crust.

4) The single best pizza I've had in the area was a Roberto Donna-made pie at Bebo. It was mind-boggling. I've had another one when he wasn't there that was also good, but not in that league. This one, however, was an unqualified disaster. Truly, it was not worth eating, and was the only one of the four pizzas that wouldn't qualify as at least "very good" - the photo makes it look better than it actually was.

Especially at Comet and Bebo, I've had high highs and low lows, and that's why it's important to consider this particular evening a snapshot, a moment in time; not a compendium, and not a final judgment (see my comment #71 in the DCist article).

Cheers,

Rocks.

Nothing better NY Style. Not to be a total shithead, but for fuck's sake, if you're sampling pizza at Bebo, you're only 5 minutes from Pizzaiola. It is my understanding that Pizzaiola has a deal where they pay their employees, too!

yiouknow, gin just makes some people cranky. :angry:

Click on Post #10

Some comments:

1) I've had several fantastic pizzas at Comet in the past, but my two prior to this visit were terrible, and mediocre, respectively. This pizza was fantastic in every way, and at $7.50? One of the best individual food values in town. The tomato sauce was revelatory compared with the other three pizzas, and although the cheese isn't "blotted" on in the traditional style, it's locally sourced from Blue Ridge Dairy in Leesburg and I thought it was terrific. Taste-wise, this was my favorite crust.

2) 2 Amys' pizzas have shown a consistent downturn in my last several visits, even though the "small things" keep rolling right along. This time, the crust had a bready consistency that was disturbingly similar to what I found at Pizzeria Paradiso the last time I went, though this was certainly better than that.

3) RedRocks' crust was what 2 Amys should have been (and used to be). Airy, chewy, and very complex, it was a pleasure to eat on its own. Texturally, this was my favorite crust.

4) The single best pizza I've had in the area was a Roberto Donna-made pie at Bebo. It was mind-boggling. I've had another one when he wasn't there that was also good, but not in that league. This one, however, was an unqualified disaster. Truly, it was not worth eating, and was the only one of the four pizzas that wouldn't qualify as at least "very good" - the photo makes it look better than it actually was.

Especially at Comet and Bebo, I've had high highs and low lows, and that's why it's important to consider this particular evening a snapshot, a moment in time; not a compendium, and not a final judgment (see my comment #71 in the DCist article).

Cheers,

Rocks.

I will be at the bar at Bebo tomorrow night at 8:00PM. I dare anyone to find a better pizza in the D. C. area than what I will order then. Show up and tell me that what I order is not the best in America. Not Two Amy's, not Comet, Not Paradiso but America! 8:00PM. And, yes, Roberto will be in the kitchen. And, I, at the bar. Hungry and thirsty...

I will be at the bar at Bebo tomorrow night at 8:00PM. I dare anyone to find a better pizza in the D. C. area than what I will order then. Show up and tell me that what I order is not the best in America. Not Two Amy's, not Comet, Not Paradiso but America! 8:00PM. And, yes, Roberto will be in the kitchen. And, I, at the bar. Hungry and thirsty...

tempting..

I am always ready for a challenge...If I am back from break fast by then....well, you are on my friend. This should be fun.

P.S. -Maybe we can drink an overated Wine Spectator Aussie Fruit Bomb to wash it all down, sound good?

tempting..

Biscuit Girl and I are in. Look forward to meeting you, Joe.

I look forward to seeing everyone at 8 or so. Roberto has been kind enough to set aside four or five bar seats for us. And, yes, he will be making the smoked mozz pizza...among others.