• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm surprised there's not much talk about Fireworks. Am I off my rocker that they make a good pizza? I went to the outlet in Leesburg recently and had one with sausage, onions and something else with tomato sauce. The flavors were great and I enjoyed every ingredient individually, as Rocks suggested is a key. The crust seemed to not fit a style, but the texture and flavor were very good. It's soft and charred, but not as fragile as Neapolitan. It's moderately think, more so than New Haven and less than Papa Johns. I've actually been Jonesing for this pizza since I had it. Why no love for Fireworks? I'll agree wholeheartedly that Pupatella is king right now.

I'm surprised there's not much talk about Fireworks. Am I off my rocker that they make a good pizza? I went to the outlet in Leesburg recently and had one with sausage, onions and something else with tomato sauce. The flavors were great and I enjoyed every ingredient individually, as Rocks suggested is a key. The crust seemed to not fit a style, but the texture and flavor were very good. It's soft and charred, but not as fragile as Neapolitan. <snip> Why no love for Fireworks?

Although I have not experienced the main Leesburg location, the one in Arlington is terrible. There was no life to the pizza, no flavor, no crust - it was just flat. As if someonething was wrong with the oven. Or the kitchen. But this was based on one experience, except that it was bad enough that I did not want to go back again (due to a number of factors).

The Washington Post's Best Pizzas. Any comments on the list?

Yes, I have some comments:

Comet is now good, not great. It saddens me that the best in town no longer is.

Lost Dog Cafe is terrible, and always has been, do not get the pizzas here at any cost.

Mia's Pizza has gone way downhill, and is now merely decent, or really, something less than that.

Pete's depends entirely on the location, it ranges from mediocre to decent (but no more than that).

Pizzeria Orso, although I haven't been in a couple of months, is probably still good, but not great.

Del Ray Pizzeria and Sports Bar is probably good with Eric Reid at the helm.

Matchbox, well, it depends again "which one." They range from (at times) great all the way to mediocre.

I haven't been to Stained Glass Pub in maybe 30 years, but it was good with a pitcher of Miller Lite

PS7's flatbreads are wonderful, and I assume they're talking about these, and if so, just get them.

Radius Pizza has never been great; it's their small plates, mussels, and pastas that made them.

Fiorella I've never been to, so can't comment on.

District of Pi was pretty lame the one time I went, and it was overpriced, too.

I've never been to Mellow Mushroom, so must not comment.

Pizzeria Paradiso has reverted to the heavy, bready crust it had years ago.

RedRocks has never been great, but now it seems like it's not even trying.

The same with Rustico, which seems to get worse with each NRG restaurant.

Italian Store makes massive pizzas that are long on grease and taste, in a NY style

Ledo Restaurant makes their pies with a good, thick crust, and a surprising amount of balance.

Vace is a very tomato-based pie, and many prefer it to The Italian Store

Pacci's tries hard to be Neopolitan, and really does a pretty nice job with their pies.

Pupatella is the best pizzeria in town, with no serious contender for second place.

Seventh Hill, along with Il Canale and 2 Amys, is a top three pizza in the District.

Sorriso is yet another pizza I haven't tried, and this reminds me that I'm long past due here.

In terms of omission, there are some pretty good pizzas left off this list. Pie-Tanza, for example, is one of the top 10 pizzas in the city, lame as the restaurant may be (try a sausage, peppers, and onions, for example).

Cheers,

Rocks

I mean really, what makes a great pizza? Without ever having been to Pupatella, I'd say they are the best. Why? Because a great pizza is made with passion, day in and day out by the same perfectionist,

PIZZA IS PASSION. Few outside of Napoli get it, or indeed, deserve to get it. This is working class food, from the working class, for the working class.

I'd gladly pay you Tuesday for a Pizza today. Where do you think Wimpy got it???

(pizza in 8 days, do yer research. It's obscure, but real)

I'm drunk. Goodnight.

• Like 1

"Del Ray Pizzeria and Sports Bar is probably good with Eric Reid at the helm."

Thanks Don, a few words.

I don't know shit about pizza, I know that I put 110% into what I do and I'll stand by it. I've never liked the idea of running a "pizzeria", everyone always has an opinion, "this isn't NY style", "I'm from Chicago", "I grew up in Italy, I know what pizza is" blah blah blah. This is my style pizza, I offer thin and pan.

You'll find some of my old dishes from DMG on the menu. It's hard to sell them sometimes. When you go to a "pizzeria" you already know what you're going to order. It's like going to a sushi joint and have them feature fajitas as a special. I'm honored to be listed in this group of what I think are great places.

Either way, everything is fresh and made in house, I have no walkin, no 5 gallon buckets.

Except the desserts, I have no idea how to bake a dessert in a pizza oven.

I'd buy a WaPo tomorrow,

Eric

• Like 1

Ditto. And I'll add that Paradiso, Redrocks, and Rustico use high quality ingredients on not so great crust (Rustico's especially is lacking), so they still make for okay pizza. Matchbox is in this category for me too.

In terms of omission, there are some pretty good pizzas left off this list.

There is one place I'm surprised didn't make it, not because its any good, but rather because its so popular - Fireworks. And I still think Faccia Luna (at least the Clarendon one) is underrated...much better crust than the majority of the list.

Also this reminds me I really need to try Ledo's.

What about Cafe Pizzaiola? It has been a couple of years since I have been in, but I recall it as a quite respectable NY style pizza.

I've been to the Fern Street location 2-3 times in the past several months. I like it -- crust is flavorful, toppings are good. It's between work and home, and it's the best pizza I've found en route.

There is always parking in the Safeway across the street from Pupatella.

Their appetizers, salads, and paninis are as good as the pizzas. You don't need to go there just for Enzo's pizzas.

yeah, I'm just not one to buy pizze I guess..and honestly, (shameless plugging) I think most nights Local 16 has the best pizza around.

Lost Dog Cafe is terrible, and always has been, do not get the pizzas here at any cost.

Mia's Pizza has gone way downhill, and is now merely decent, or really, something less than that.

Pete's depends entirely on the location, it ranges from mediocre to decent (but no more than that).

Pizzeria Orso, although I haven't been in a couple of months, is probably still good, but not great.

Matchbox, well, it depends again "which one." They range from (at times) great all the way to mediocre.

I haven't been to Stained Glass Pub in maybe 30 years, but it was good with a pitcher of Miller Lite

PS7's flatbreads are wonderful, and I assume they're talking about these, and if so, just get them.

Radius Pizza has never been great; it's their small plates, mussels, and pastas that made them.

Italian Store makes massive pizzas that are long on grease and taste, in a NY style

Ledo Restaurant makes their pies with a good, thick crust, and a surprising amount of balance.

Pacci's tries hard to be Neopolitan, and really does a pretty nice job with their pies.

Pupatella is the best pizzeria in town, with no serious contender for second place.

Seventh Hill, along with Il Canale and 2 Amys, is a top three pizza in the District.

Sorriso is yet another pizza I haven't tried, and this reminds me that I'm long past due here.

Cheers,

Rocks

Gonna add my opinions..

Comet-used to be just ok. seemed like the dough didn't rise ever, My pizza had a hole in it, and the cheese was always broken, a sign of too long in a too cold oven

Lost Dog-crazy puffy crust, short fermentation, no good smell or flavor to crust= pretty much agree w/ Rocks. Good beer selection.

Mia's-2amys/Pizzeria Paradiso crossbreed from a former employee of both..just ok

Pete's-never been, no commet

*deleted by the inquisiton for the crime of Heresy!!*

Del Ray Pizzeria and Sports Bar- is probably good with Eric Reid at the helm, and judging by his comment above, I believe it is. Can't say, never been.

Matchbox- yuck.

Stained Glass Pub-Never been, had a friend that loved the place, and I trust his opinion.

PS7's- Never had a pizza, but the OMFG sandwich is just that.

Radius Pizza-Not bad, deck oven pizza. Average.

Fiorella-Has one of those horrible woodstone firedeck ovens. Can't be good. Bad equipment choice.

District of Pi-conveyor belt oven pizza. I'll go to Fairfax Deli and Pizza for that, and probably enjoy it as much.

Mellow Mushroom-Love the name. Never been.

Pizzeria Paradiso-Where I learned the trade 20 years ago. Was the best in town at the time. I don't think it's gone downhill so much as other places have been getting better. (if Paradiso is on the list, why isn't Moroni and Brothers? Better pizza from one of their oldest cooks)

RedRocks-opened by me. Now run by another 2amys ex-employee. More of a bar, I think.

Rustico-Not good. See Fiorella above.

Italian Store- makes massive pizzas that are long on grease and taste, in a NY style. I agree with Rocks.

Ledo Restaurant-Love it.

Vace-Never had it. Hear they put the sauce on top..

Pacci's tries hard to be Neopolitan, and really does a pretty nice job with their pies. I agree with Rocks here, except for the spelling of Napolitan.

Pupatella-New kid on the block, no affiliation with the big 2, (PP and 2a) Will try it someday, if somebody else pays. Drama prevents me from giving them my $

Seventh Hill-Really good California style. One of my top 2 in town.

Sorriso-Never had it. I hear they have an oven with a silly rotating floor. Not my cup of tea. Not going.

It sounds snotty, and probably is. I've just been in the pizza game for a really long time, and nothing comes close to Gino Sorbillo, or Salvo.

My 2 cents..

Pizza Man, Heresy is right. 'They' have turned a real Italian pizzeria/bistro into a haven for rug rats. The cured meat selection is now pedestrian. (can't have the little ones develop a tase for lardo, it might clog their arteries), the arancini are not faintly Italian, the crocettas and Orange/fennel salad are gone and I haven't even arrived at my critique of the pizza yet

On 12/9/2011 at 12:09 AM, DonRocks said:

In terms of omission, there are some pretty good pizzas left off this list. Pie-Tanza, for example, is one of the top 10 pizzas in the city, lame as the restaurant may be (try a sausage, peppers, and onions, for example).

Cheers,

Rocks

Aiiight ... does anyone have any opinions about who is making the best pizza right now in DC proper?

I'm of the opinion that, in general, the best pizzas are currently being made in Maryland, but for now, I'm interested in DC.

Vace!

Even though I haven't tried them yet, I'd have to say Wiseguy Pizza would need consideration.

The soon to be open Tino's Pizza is Cleveland Park look like they are aiming for big things, they recently installed a Marra Forni pizza oven.

Vin909 in Annapolis offers up some great flatbread style pizzas.  Unfortunate for us locals that a Washington Post review a few years back generated too much fame and interest.  Impossible to get in during weekends of tourist season.

Seylou Bakery's pizza night every Friday 6PM to 8PM.  I recommend pizza by the slice so you can preview what's offered and select your exact slices.  Seylou Bakery usually posts a notice on instagram hours before on every Friday.  I recommend checking their instagram site before heading over for their pizza night.

Cagla's focaccia by the slice at Green Almond Pantry is insanely delicious.  She offers both her basic tomato and her seasonal special showcasing beautiful local vegetables.  I recommend following her instagram site and then watch for her instagram stories to see what she is especially offering for lunch that day.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, dslee said:

Seylou Bakery's pizza night every Friday 6PM to 8PM.  I recommend pizza by the slice so you can preview what's offered and select your exact slices.  Seylou Bakery usually posts a notice on instagram hours before on every Friday.  I recommend checking their instagram site before heading over for their pizza night.

If their pizza is anything like the quality of their bread, would happily assume it's pretty good. 

2 minutes ago, lion said:

If their pizza is anything like the quality of their bread, would happily assume it's pretty good. 

Yes, the crust and toppings are high quality as the bread.  It is a matter of individual preference for the composition of the toppings.  Usually, 2 to 3 different compositions of pizzas are offered on Friday pizza night.  Occasionally on Saturdays around lunch time, 1 to 2 different compositions of pizza by the slice are offered.  

19 hours ago, Tweaked said:

Vace!

Even though I haven't tried them yet, I'd have to say Wiseguy Pizza would need consideration.

The soon to be open Tino's Pizza is Cleveland Park look like they are aiming for big things, they recently installed a Marra Forni pizza oven.

@DonRocks - Have you still not tried Vace?  It's our go-to since we live a few blocks away and it's really cheap relative to the alternatives.

I'll avoid commenting on other favorites since they're all in MD rather than DC.

2 hours ago, zgast said:

@DonRocks - Have you still not tried Vace?  It's our go-to since we live a few blocks away and it's really cheap relative to the alternatives.

I'll avoid commenting on other favorites since they're all in MD rather than DC.

Oh, I had Vace probably twenty-years ago - I guess I haven't been in a couple of years, but I don't see them changing a whole lot (I like it very much).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DonRocks said:

Oh, I had Vace probably twenty-years ago - I guess I haven't been in a couple of years, but I don't see them changing a whole lot (I like it very much).

Vace is close by where I work. I tried to like their pizza. Maybe its the sauce. I was similarly unimpressed with their meatball sub. 

35 minutes ago, Mark Slater said:

Vace is close by where I work. I tried to like their pizza. Maybe its the sauce. I was similarly unimpressed with their meatball sub. 

Vace is workaday pizza similar to The Italian Store (although I prefer it to The Italian Store, mainly because the latter's crust has an annoying yeasty aroma) - nothing special  either place, but not bad - Vace is more sauce-driven, TIS is more cheese-driven.

I"d throw in Fireworks/Arlington Pizza.  It has always had terrific, ingenious, tasty, excellent toppings.  Possibly 4 years ago it dramatically improved its base pizza.  I frankly think it is a positive now.  

I have no idea about all the pizzas in the region.  I am NOT or no longer all that enthused by 2Amy's.  There are others I like better.   But I'd definitely give Fireworks/Arlington kudos.

In fact try it.  FW/Arlington has a tremendous variety of beers, a tremendous inventory of beers under the sun and great pizza.  You won't regret it.

• Like 1

Has anyone tried the new Sonny's Pizza on Georgia Ave, near Howard? I've only been once, not sure what my verdict is quite yet because the pizza itself is quite unusual and feels like it's in a category by itself in the area.  The best way I can describe it is an elevated version of elementary school cafeteria pizza -- baked in a pan, Sonny's pizza is definitely not about the crust. But the toppings on the two pizzas we got our one visit were super high quality.  Here's their menu.

In DC, we still head for 2Amys (in part because of apps and desserts), but, in general, we skew toward MD these days — generally either Frankly (Arugula) or DaMarco (Salame).  CS has sort of fallen out of the rotation, except around holidays (when the foosball fans return to the nest), but I think it has a wider variety of pizzas that I like than any of the others.  Pizza functions as a comfort food for me, so I’m more inclined to head toward an environment that I appreciate and that has reliably good pizza than to go on a quest to find the best pizza.

• Like 1

Last week I had the joy  (or the exercise) of comparing two different two-slice pizzas/deals at lunch.   One set was from Brooklyn Bagel  (facebook page--website being redesigned) in Courthouse.  Two slices and a 22 oz soda for $6.88 (I believe).   The second set was Whole Foods Clarendon;  2 slices at $7.00  ($5 for a Prime member on Friday).  Drinks extra.

Now I like the operators at BB (Brooklyn Bagel) having known them for about 14/15 years.  Good guys.  Did you know they are open 365 days a year?   A reasonably good bagel.  Not the best in the region but clearly good enough and superior to most.   They are open for breakfast, lunch and late lunch.

Coming in for a late lunch there was only one other patron dining inside.  It was slow.   The pizza was sitting at the counter.  I ordered two slices from a meat pizza.  It needed to be reheated, with the oven in the back.  Sort of cumbersome.  The soda is a good size.   But the pizza, brought to my humble table, reheated, was that kind of dreadful, morning/reheated pizza that sometimes passes for breakfast.  It does fill you up.  Tasted ....well terrible.   I mostly finished it along with gulping down the ample sized fountain coca-cola.   At $6.88 (plus Arlington 10% tax plus a tip) it was still a "steal" in todays lunch environment.  The coke was perfectly dispenser quality fine, about 15% filled with dispenser ice. 

Whole Foods offers 1 slice for about $3.80 and two slices for $7.00  ($5 on Friday for Amazon Prime members)  Pizza is pre cooked and kept under heat lamps.  It is serve your own.  Pies are pre sliced and the slice sizes are ample.  Two slices IMO are an ample lunch.

I chose the chicken assiago and a mushroom slice.  Both were ample, the first being larger than the single slice container.  I am a proponent of this pizza.  The crust has a zing to it and is appropriate as a thin to medium crust pizza.  Its tasty.   Toppings are of a nice quality.  Both toppings were of a better quality than BB's and the crust was superior.  What was missing??   The 22 oz coke with ice.  In fact WF (Whole Foods) doesn't have chilled soda so I opted for a $0.79 soda water.  Okay...but its not (sugary/sweet) coke.

Evaluation??   WF significantly better than BB.  (and hey--I like BB)...but not that good in the pizza department.

• Like 2

Great article from Tim Carman of the Post on his 10 favorite DC metro pizza: https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/food/best-pizza-dc/

Note Cleveland Park has 3 out of the 10 (hometown neighborhood pride). I haven't eaten at all 10 places but for the 3 in CP, I agree all 3 places deserve to be on the list but I personally would pick different pies at each.

Vace - White with onions (hands down the best they make and one of my all time favs. Cheese is ok but Vace's white pizza is better - love the crisp crust either way)

Tino's - Shroomin (although I don't eat octopus so Octopie from Carman's list isn't an option for me)

2 Amys - Magherita or Etna 2.0 (Calabrese is good but it was too salty last time I had it)

17 hours ago, KeithA said:

Great article from Tim Carman of the Post on his 10 favorite DC metro pizza: https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/food/best-pizza-dc/

This is a really nice overview of the DC pizza scene right now.

And yet.

I can't remember the last time I took a bite of pizza, and said, "Wow!" I'm accessing my memory banks right now, and I honestly cannot remember.

After writing the previous sentence, I turned to DIShGo, and said, "When's the last time we had a truly great pizza?" <silence> "I mean one where the first bite makes you go, 'Wow!'?" <"Hmm"... <silence> "I don't know." <silence> "I ... can't recall.">

Edit: I just remembered one - Piccolina

---

Vace (KeithA)
Della Barba (Dr. Delicious)

F fresh pizza, how about where to get some good frozen pies?  I have to confess, I like the frozen deep dish pizza from Uno's.  The instructions said to pour olive oil in the pan before baking, and that make the crust so much better.  Unfortunately, Balducci's must've thought that Uno's is too low-brow and they stopped carrying Uno's for at least a year.  I have yet to find a suitable replacement but I started doing some online research.  One nominee is the Crispy Pan Pizza from Digiorno.  Another is the Outsiders Chicago Style.  Those two can be found at Target (I'm gonna go by tonight and if the line isn't too long like it was this afternoon, I'll get some).  A third option is Motor City Detroit Style Deep Dish which can be found at Walmart.  Any thoughts on these or other really good frozen pizzas?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ericandblueboy said:

F fresh pizza, how about where to get some good frozen pies?  I have to confess, I like the frozen deep dish pizza from Uno's.  The instructions said to pour olive oil in the pan before baking, and that make the crust so much better.  Unfortunately, Balducci's must've thought that Uno's is too low-brow and they stopped carrying Uno's for at least a year.  I have yet to find a suitable replacement but I started doing some online research.  One nominee is the Crispy Pan Pizza from Digiorno.  Another is the Outsiders Chicago Style.  Those two can be found at Target (I'm gonna go by tonight and if the line isn't too long like it was this afternoon, I'll get some).  A third option is Motor City Detroit Style Deep Dish which can be found at Walmart.  Any thoughts on these or other really good frozen pizzas?

Goldbelly is your friend for good frozen pizza. Many to choose from. We like Speedy Romeo and Marta (the latter when available).

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ericandblueboy said:

9 hours ago, Keithstg said:

Goldbelly is your friend for good frozen pizza. Many to choose from. We like Speedy Romeo and Marta (the latter when available).

Am I correct in assuming that neither of you have had Happy Gyro's pizzas?

Forgetting (for the moment) frozen pies, Happy Gyro's reheat better than any others do, and if you haven't tried them yet (at $32 a pizza!), you're doing yourselves a disservice.

1 hour ago, Ericandblueboy said:

I have never had a $32 pizza.  With tax and tip, more like $40 for a pizza.  Is it better than a freshly baked pizza from Pupatella/Orso/Crust?

Yes.

At least consider that I've gotten them 20-25 times (about a 15-minute drive each way), and have never ordered from my local Pupatella, which I could walk to. I emphasize: Get the vegetable pizzas first, before you try the meat pizzas.

By all means, write me before you order. I can help you, I promise. I'm not here to pimp Happy Gyro Pizzas; I'm here to help you eat well. The menu as of *this date* is varied, and I would probably advise you to steer clear of the meat pizza, as good as the crust might be.

Out of these two pizzas:

A 16" naturally-leavened white pie with Jimmy Nardello peppers, capers, Jersey mozz, garlic cream, marjoram and pickled chilies. Large-ish. Probably feeds two with leftovers. Vegetarian. Contains 

A 16" naturally-leavened vodka pie with salami, braised rapini, taggiasche olives and Jersey mozz. Large-ish. Probably feeds two with leftovers. Not vegetarian! Contains pork, dairy and gluten. …

it says something that I haven't ordered either. Happy Gyro is transitioning into autumn, and neither of these appeal to me by their lofty standards.

But, oh my goodness, get their other things such as Freak-a-Burger, Plum and Corn Salad, Smoky Mozzarella Sticks, Olive Oil Gelato, or Basque Cheesecake.

6 hours ago, DonRocks said:

Am I correct in assuming that neither of you have had Happy Gyro's pizzas?

Forgetting (for the moment) frozen pies, Happy Gyro's reheat better than any others do, and if you haven't tried them yet (at $32 a pizza!), you're doing yourselves a disservice.

I’ve not had happy gyro, so good to know. Will try when next in DC but no chance I’m making a two hour round trip, especially as we now have Knead Wine in the ‘burg. 

As to the frozen pizza question, again, Goldbelly offers a wide variety of styles from around the country - all of which are vastly superior to what you’ll find at the grocery.