Korean Food Cart (Flames) - Closed

Several items for discussion today:

The cart now advertises bibimbap and california rolls! Lines were considerably longer today, about 8 deep at 1 pm.

But this isn't the most interesting development -- as I walked past L and Vermont, basically a half block away, I spotted another Korean BBQ cart! This one was white and had the word "BBQ" painted on the side. I was too stunned to investigate further.

I've investigated. I planned to go to the other Korean food cart, but the line was at least 20 people long. So I walked over to the corner of 15th and L and there it was . A guy named Jung Ho Shin (spelling approximate) is doing the cooking (and probably the owning). This one is a bit smaller than the other cart, and appears to be a one-person operation. He's a bit overwhelmed at the moment (didn't have small bills when I was there, so those paying with $20 bills had to wait).

He's got bulgogi and chicken teriyaki on the menu--both come with a side salad (which you prepare yourself at a mini-salad bar at the front of the cart. I had the bulgogi ($6.75), and liked it--the rice was good, the green onions on top were a good addition, and the beef was flavorful. The kimchee served on this side was pretty anemic--a small portion without much kick--but the orange slices and slice of hard boiled egg was nice. As with the other Korean food cart, it's a pretty hefty portion.

I don't know if it moved, but today this place was on Vermont and L. It has flames on the side.

The hard-boiled egg and orange slices made me laugh a little. The kimchee comes in a tiny cup, and is a bit sparse for my tastes. You can choose between hot and mild. Tastes like it came out of a jar.

The salad is laughable - lettuce, onions, celery, peas and carrots, and corn.

The quality of the meat is better than the little yellow cart, but isn't as flavorful. The rice at the other cart is also superior. While this is tender, it's a bit mooshy. Though this cart subscribes to the philosophy of more meat, less rice.

I really like the little yellow cart a lot more, and it'd be my BBQ cart of choice.

The original Post graphic on new food carts mentions there were 7 carts who had not yet received a location.. but it seems odd they would permit two korean carts right next to each other.. and there were already two carts permitted at that intersection. Is this cart permitted, or will it be gone when I try to go next week?

The original Post graphic on new food carts mentions there were 7 carts who had not yet received a location.. but it seems odd they would permit two korean carts right next to each other.. and there were already two carts permitted at that intersection. Is this cart permitted, or will it be gone when I try to go next week?

Well it's a long block away on Vermont, not 15th. I don't think they can see each other. And a lot of hot dog vendors are near each other. I can't imagine that it would make a difference it things sold were similar.

Come on dude, we are talking DC city government here...logic need not apply!

On the back wall of the cart, his permits were there, so it seems likely that Vermont and L is his assigned spot and he'll be there for awhile.