Westend Bistro, in the Ritz Carlton on 22nd & M Streets NW - Chef Devin Bozkaya Takes Over for Joe Palma

Walked by Westend Bistro last night and noticed it was dark and empty. I peered in the window and saw that the tables were gone from the row along the M street-side of the restaurant and there were dark sheets of plastic separating the kitchen from the dining room. Anyone know what's up?

Sounds like they got a good bottle of wine in by mistake and HAZMAT was alerted.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

sorry, i couldn't resist ...

Sometimes you're better off dead

There's gun in your hand and it's pointing at your head

You think you're mad, too unstable

Kicking in chairs and knocking down tables

In a restaurant in a West End town

Call the police, there's a madman around

Running down underground to a dive bar

In a West End town

I had a lovely light lunch there last week. upon my server's reccomendation i had the market salad which was quite large, enough for a light lunch by itself. lovely mix of greens, peaches, asparagus, carrots, tomatoes, beets, radishes and some other vegetables, each vegetable perfectly cooked, and the whole dressed well--each leaf and veg. perfectly coated ith a lighly truffled vinaigrette with a proper mix of salt and citrus. it was really quite good.

on top of that i had some of the better service i've had lately--server greeted me by name and, as i'd said i was vegetarian when i made the reservation, had already checked to see what was vegetarian or could be made vegetarian, and was just politely attentive through the meal.

to be fair though, the place was almost totally empty, and my friend liked her chicken caesar, but thought mine was much better.

My husband and I had a delicious meal at West End Bistro on Friday. I went in with low expectations, given some of the recent reviews on this site, but it was the only restaurant near our apartment we could reserve on short notice. We shared the "molten goat cheese" as a starter, which really was more like goat cheese fritters served with a tasty beet salad. Very tasty. My husband ordered the short ribs, which came with a side of seriously rich mashed potatoes. Not a huge portion, but rich and delicious. My salmon was perfectly cooked (medium-rare), as were the brussels sprouts that came with it. I think our favorite part of the meal, though, was the hazelnut millefeuille we had for dessert, an ethereal tower of puff pastry and hazelnut creme. Not the easiest dessert to eat (we made a mess), but one of the better desserts we've had recently.

I should note that neither of us ordered wine; given Don's excoriation of their wine program, I thought we'd better steer clear. But I enjoyed my cocktail, and my husband enjoyed his beer.

All in all, we had a wonderful meal and wouldn't hesitate returning soon.

Mixed review from our first visit to West End Bistro last night. First the highlights:

The tomato consomme: Go try this soup now. Clear, intensely flavored tomato broth poured over halved grape tomatoes and tiny cubes of feta and a dash of sherry vinegar. The broth itself has incredible flavor. They apparently blend tomatoes, jalapenos, pistou basil, and other things then drain it thru cheese cloth for a couple days. Fantastic.

The Foggy Bottom market salad: fresh mixed greens, radishes, tomatoes and a few croutons tossed judiciously with a truffle vinaigrette.

The halibut entree: well seasoned, well cooked pan seared halibut

The roast chicken: perfectly cooked served over flavorful gravy.

Warm beignets full of creme anglaise served with caramel ice cream: basically sugary donut holes and ice cream. Hard to go wrong with that combination.

$8 valet parking at the Ritz

The low points:

The cold, corporate feel to the restaurant and bar: both my wife and I noticed how institutional the bar felt as we sat there with a drink. They really make you feel like you're in a hotel. Maybe it was the absentee bartender, maybe it was the sparse crowd. Not sure but it was the opposite vibe from what you get sitting at Eventide or Dino.

The basil gimlet drink on the bar menu: tasting strongly of lime juice, there was nary a hint of the promised basil other than a faint whiff somewhere far in the distance. Even the Hendrick's gin was overpowered. They'd be better off reformulating this drink with less emphasis on lime, replacing some with soda water, so that the gin and basil can come through. I like tart drinks but this one was too much so.

The pomegranate vodka/pomegranate juice/triple sec drink: waaaaay too sweet. My wife likes drinks on the sweet side and said this was like kool-aid.

The view of a Walgreen's and an Exxon from our booth. Not much the restaurant can do to pick its neighbors but it's not a very scenic street corner.

The root vegetables served with the chicken: oddly bitter baby turnips (i think) and broccoli. I mean so bitter they were inedible. Very strange.

The corn/black bean mixture accompanying the halibut: maybe it was meant to be served cold but cold beans are just not that good.

Glasses of viognier and sancerre served way too warm.

In summary: we cross this one off our list but won't likely be back. Not worth the money when there are so many other places serving better food in a much more welcoming setting.

So funnily enough, this was the very first post I ever read on dr.com. Most of my outings to Westend Bistro have been random lunches with my aunt when she's in town (she's on the board at the Kennedy Center and they usually put those folks up at the Ritz or the Four Seasons), and so I'd always had dishes that neither merited a rave nor a pan -- it was fine, better than most everything in the culinary wasteland in which I work (yes, I'm looking at you, 24th and N NW) -- and since I don't drink at lunch while working, I just would re-read this to myself with a chuckle at the font sizes when I needed it.

Well, I still can't speak to the quality of the wine program (went with a mostly non-drinking friend and so didn't really dive in, although the by-the-glass list was really nothing impressive tonight), but I can say that the food more than surpassed what I was expecting.

The roast chicken appeared as a pollo al mattone, with nicely caramelized roasted veggies and just enough pureed potatoes to make it feel decadent. The chicken was moist and tender, with a lovely crispy skin; my companion savored every bite. The skate, with artichokes, cherry tomatoes, and olives, was delicious in a lightened brown-butter sauce; it was a traditional skate done very well, and I'm a sucker for both artichokes and olives. The dish was enhanced by perfectly cooked julienned fennel, too; while this may have been the least seasonally appropriate preparation on the menu, I couldn't resist, and every element stood up, even the tomatoes, which I was expecting to be flavorless by now.

The major off-note was actually the service. With two bartenders at the horseshoe-shaped bar, it might be a better policy to have one on each "side" of the shoe, as it were; we were on the side that had no taps, and both tenders spent most of their time with their backs to us. It took us forever to flag them down for water and bread, and our coffee cups sat empty for at least ten minutes. When engaged, our server was solicitous, friendly*, and polished; the problem was merely getting his attention. Maybe it's unfair, but I expect more from a Ritz restaurant.

I'll admit to being mildly shocked at the quality of the dishes tonight. I saw very little else of interest coming out to the bar -- primarily burgers and small sandwiches (somewhat odiously labeled "sliders" on the menu, despite including an oyster po'boy -- I mean, seriously?) and fries -- so I can't even comment on whether the menu visually stands up to further experimentation. Still, since it's one of the few places I can walk to after work without have to change into my ugly commuting shoes, I'm pleased to have discovered that Westend Bistro is a more than palatable food option.

*Apparently he was rather amusing, too: Prior to my arrival, the woman next to my friend asked the bartender to explain the gimlet on the signature cocktail menu. After he did his best, the woman said, "So it's kind of like a mojito?" My friend tried to reign in her laughter as the bartender struggled to simultaneously agree and disagree with this assessment, politeness obviously taking priority over honesty. My friend barely made it through the telling of the tale before I was coming up with my own snarky response ... and seriously tempted to order a mojito, really, really loudly.

Had to try the new Westend Bistro pop-up BBQ (which runs at lunchtime Friday's), as it is a gorgeous Friday and its a couple blocks away from my office. Unfortunately it's not my favorite BBQ.

The pulled pork is slathered in a (south) carolina sauce (mustard based). The sauce was fine but the meat didn't have the give I prefer and seemed to have a brined taste. The brisket was the same though it had even more of the brined taste. It was texas style though it had a sauce which had a hoisin taste to it. For the the extras the biscuit was really good, but the slaw was a little too dilly for me. The prices were affordable; $6 for a meat, couple bucks for a side, and the line moved fast.

Overall though, I don't think I would get it again. It's too bad, I really wanted to like it. I am pretty picky about BBQ though.

Bottom Line Up Front: Go here soon, sit at the “At the Pass” table, let the chef pick all your dishes, leave full and happy.

My wife and I had a wonderful anniversary dinner at the Westend Bistro last night. I called them earlier in the day and asked if they had any sort of tasting menu since there wasn’t one on the website, and they said they didn’t have one but they did have an “At The Pass” table where you sat a granite counter looking into the kitchen. You could order off the menu or let the chef make all the decisions for you. So that’s what we did and essentially ended up getting a tasting menu and having a great view of the kitchen, not to mention lots of conversations with the chefs.

Right after we sat down we were presented with two glasses of champagne which was a nice and unexpected touch since I never mentioned it was an anniversary dinner. Since we were not going to order off the menu we had the option of a 5, 7 or 9 course dinner where the chef would serve us whatever he wanted to. We chose the 9 course option for $95 which was well worth it for the quantity and quality of the food presented. We wanted to do a wine pairing as well and it seemed like they were very flexible on how much you got. We wanted enough wine to enjoy through out the dinner but still be able to drive home afterwards. Ryme, the super sweet sommelier, said she could make it work so we would get a new wine for each two courses, and if we needed more or less, she would adjust.

Chef de Cuisine Devin Bozkaya came over and asked if we had any allergies or restrictions (no and no) and since he used to work at the Inn At Little Washington, we told him this was our anniversary and last year we did it at the Chef’s Table at The Inn. That was the only time we mentioned “anniversary” but they picked up on it and wrote it out on the dessert plates in chocolate. We spent a little time talking to him about his time at The Inn and where he lived then and now, etc, etc. He made us feel right at home

Chef Bozkaya served us all of our dishes throughout the night and gave us detailed descriptions as well as chit chatted as time would allow. We were able to ask him and the other chef questions about what they were doing and they couldn’t have been nicer. The service was friendly and fantastic and you really felt special being there. For us the service and hospitality at Westend blew away what we had at Rogue 24 in August. That wasn’t bad mind you, but this just seemed much warmer and more genuine.

As each dish was delivered, the chef explained what it was, what was in it, how it was made and even how some of the ingredients were made. For instance, he went into a very detailed description of how the maple cream in the soup was made using old whiskey barrels to impart some of that flavor into it (I think it was the cream that used the barrels).

Here’s what we had:

• Popcorn dusted with cheese (pre-appitizer)

• Mustard Greens & Apple Salad 14

honey-cider vinaigrette, candied walnuts

• Tuna Carpaccio 16

olive oil, chive, shallot and lemon

• Lobster Crostino 16

garlic aioli, coriander, baby greens

• Butternut Squash Soup 13

organic squash, whipped Noble maple cream

• Rhode Island Skate Wing 30

local beans, almonds, brown butter

• Lamb Kafta 11

ground Border Springs lamb 3 ways

• Pan Roasted Bass 32

bouillabaisse, crab, fennel, clams

• Border Springs Leg of Lamb 29

cauliflower cous-cous, pomegranate-rosemary jus

• Lime Sorbet
  • Warm Chocolate Tart 9

Melting Whipped Cream, Caramel Sauce

• Brown Butter Pistachio Cake 9

Raspberries, Salted Pistachio Ice Cream

I’m not great at giving detailed and evocative descriptions of the dishes, but I’ll just say there wasn’t a clunker served. I’d gladly eat every single one again. Each had layers of flavor and was perfectly cooked.

All of the fish dishes were really great, especially the skate wing and the sea bass. The skate had this soft, almost fully texture that seemed very airy. It was almost like eating cotton candy or cotton balls. I know that sounds weird, but it was very light and airy.

This place is going to be reviewed in the Post next week, so get there soon, and ask for the “At The Pass” table if you want a special evening!

Click on the photos to make them bigger

Mustard Greens & Apple Salad

post-3390-0-57085300-1351876095_thumb.jp

Tuna Carpaccio

post-3390-0-09232300-1351876144_thumb.jp

Lobster Crostino

post-3390-0-71128000-1351876204_thumb.jp

Butternut Squash Soup

post-3390-0-21054800-1351876297_thumb.jp

post-3390-0-73492200-1351876334_thumb.jp

post-3390-0-80899300-1351876356_thumb.jp

Rhode Island Skate Wing

post-3390-0-72751800-1351876392_thumb.jp

Lamb Kafta

post-3390-0-20268700-1351876762_thumb.jp

Pan Roasted Bass

post-3390-0-02379400-1351876801_thumb.jp

post-3390-0-62746700-1351876830_thumb.jp

post-3390-0-58089400-1351876848_thumb.jp

Lamb Kafta

post-3390-0-11620500-1351876958_thumb.jp

Lime Sorbet

post-3390-0-30027900-1351876875_thumb.jp

Brown Butter Pistachio Cake

post-3390-0-27969300-1351877005_thumb.jp

Warm Chocolate Tart

post-3390-0-92327300-1351877046_thumb.jp

Eric Ripert is cutting ties with the Westend Bistro:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/going-out-gurus/post/chef-eric-ripert-bids-adieu-to-westend-bistro/2012/11/29/fd8c4126-3a36-11e2-a263-f0ebffed2f15_blog.html?wp_login_redirect=0

My question is how much did he do there and what is going to change? I have that same question of any of these celebrity chefs...do they do anything at the places they attach their names too other than do press and PR?

Eric Ripert is cutting ties with the Westend Bistro:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/going-out-gurus/post/chef-eric-ripert-bids-adieu-to-westend-bistro/2012/11/29/fd8c4126-3a36-11e2-a263-f0ebffed2f15_blog.html?wp_login_redirect=0

My question is how much did he do there and what is going to change? I have that same question of any of these celebrity chefs...do they do anything at the places they attach their names too other than do press and PR?

I have nothing whatsoever against Eric Ripert, but you've certainly never heard him mentioned in any serious way by me regarding this restaurant, nor has his name ever been on this thread title.

Bottom Line Up Front: Go here soon, sit at the “At the Pass” table, let the chef pick all your dishes, leave full and happy.

My wife and I had a wonderful anniversary dinner at the Westend Bistro last night. I called them earlier in the day and asked if they had any sort of tasting menu since there wasn’t one on the website, and they said they didn’t have one but they did have an “At The Pass” table where you sat a granite counter looking into the kitchen. You could order off the menu or let the chef make all the decisions for you. So that’s what we did and essentially ended up getting a tasting menu and having a great view of the kitchen, not to mention lots of conversations with the chefs.

Right after we sat down we were presented with two glasses of champagne which was a nice and unexpected touch since I never mentioned it was an anniversary dinner. Since we were not going to order off the menu we had the option of a 5, 7 or 9 course dinner where the chef would serve us whatever he wanted to. We chose the 9 course option for $95 which was well worth it for the quantity and quality of the food presented. We wanted to do a wine pairing as well and it seemed like they were very flexible on how much you got. We wanted enough wine to enjoy through out the dinner but still be able to drive home afterwards. Ryme, the super sweet sommelier, said she could make it work so we would get a new wine for each two courses, and if we needed more or less, she would adjust.

Chef de Cuisine Devin Bozkaya came over and asked if we had any allergies or restrictions (no and no) and since he used to work at the Inn At Little Washington, we told him this was our anniversary and last year we did it at the Chef’s Table at The Inn. That was the only time we mentioned “anniversary” but they picked up on it and wrote it out on the dessert plates in chocolate. We spent a little time talking to him about his time at The Inn and where he lived then and now, etc, etc. He made us feel right at home

Chef Bozkaya served us all of our dishes throughout the night and gave us detailed descriptions as well as chit chatted as time would allow. We were able to ask him and the other chef questions about what they were doing and they couldn’t have been nicer. The service was friendly and fantastic and you really felt special being there. For us the service and hospitality at Westend blew away what we had at Rogue 24 in August. That wasn’t bad mind you, but this just seemed much warmer and more genuine.

As each dish was delivered, the chef explained what it was, what was in it, how it was made and even how some of the ingredients were made. For instance, he went into a very detailed description of how the maple cream in the soup was made using old whiskey barrels to impart some of that flavor into it (I think it was the cream that used the barrels).

Here’s what we had:

• Popcorn dusted with cheese (pre-appitizer)

• Mustard Greens & Apple Salad 14

honey-cider vinaigrette, candied walnuts

• Tuna Carpaccio 16

olive oil, chive, shallot and lemon

• Lobster Crostino 16

garlic aioli, coriander, baby greens

• Butternut Squash Soup 13

organic squash, whipped Noble maple cream

• Rhode Island Skate Wing 30

local beans, almonds, brown butter

• Lamb Kafta 11

ground Border Springs lamb 3 ways

• Pan Roasted Bass 32

bouillabaisse, crab, fennel, clams

• Border Springs Leg of Lamb 29

cauliflower cous-cous, pomegranate-rosemary jus

• Lime Sorbet
  • Warm Chocolate Tart 9

Melting Whipped Cream, Caramel Sauce

• Brown Butter Pistachio Cake 9

Raspberries, Salted Pistachio Ice Cream

I’m not great at giving detailed and evocative descriptions of the dishes, but I’ll just say there wasn’t a clunker served. I’d gladly eat every single one again. Each had layers of flavor and was perfectly cooked.

All of the fish dishes were really great, especially the skate wing and the sea bass. The skate had this soft, almost fully texture that seemed very airy. It was almost like eating cotton candy or cotton balls. I know that sounds weird, but it was very light and airy.

This place is going to be reviewed in the Post next week, so get there soon, and ask for the “At The Pass” table if you want a special evening!

We had dinner here tonight and did not order any entrees. Instead we confined ourselves to appetizers, soups, and salads. The tuna carpaccio is wafer thin and fills an entire plate. Served in an olive oil, chive, shallot, lemon sauce which is very light and delicious. The lobster minestrone soup was also excellent with bits of Israeli cous-cous, carrots, haricots vert, and a splash of pernod. I enjoyed the mustard greens and apple salad in a honey-mustard vinagrette, and little pieces of candied walnuts. I had never had mustard greens--they are really peppery. I need to use them at home. The only disappointment was the carrot and baby beet salad because the red beets--but not the golden ones--and the carrots were overly hard. We shared a side of roasted winter vegetables featuring tiny brussel spouts, baby carrots, and rutabaga. It was a nice treat on a cold night.

HEADLINE

A refined, familiar, reliable and straightforward luxury hotel restaurant with excellent service in a modern and professional venue.

SUMMARY

RCR (Ritz-Carlton Restaurant) might be a better name for West End Bistro (WEB) but that's besides the point. Excellent ingredients assembled and cooked with precision. Crowd pleaser, particularly for the RC crowd and those from out of town who are, of course, the primary target market. The dishes we tried were a bit light on innovation, character and interest. Can't really criticize much on an absolute scale. It's the relative scale where a fair debate can be had. You're probably better off going to at least 7-10 other spots in town within WEB's price band of $70-120 pp for dinner with two drinks.

CONTEXT

Following an event at GW (did anyone else see "Sonia from the Bronx" at the Lisner tonight? Wow! and Wow!), we strolled up to WEB since it had been a couple of years since last there. The new chef had been at the Inn at LW--a Good Thing. The restaurant was packed at 9pm, likely driven at least in part by inauguration weekend visitors looking for a reliable upscale dinner. And reliable and upscale WEB is.

SERVICE

Every bit consistent with the Ritz standard. From the bar and coat check to table service and the way all staff collaborate smoothly, most restaurants could learn much from the service standard default here. I had lunch at a near-empty higher-end place this week in town where the service wasn't even close.

FOOD

As a general comment, there was nothing at all wrong with anything we ordered. From a cocktail and starters to the mains and a side, everything was composed of fresh, high-quality ingredients and was prepared with precision if not so much soul. Were I business traveler expensing dinner, unfamiliar with DC, staying at the hotel without the knowledge or energy to range further, WEB would work fine. As a local who knows the restaurant scene a bit, tough to make the case that this makes any reasonable top 10 (or top 15?) list as a place to drop a couple hundred for a night out with all the more interesting, creative and more memorable spots we're fortunate to now have in town.

WEB is in full inauguration mode this weekend with a special 5-or-so-course tasting menu for $85, not including drinks. We were told we could order items from that menu a la carte and did do that in one case.

COCKTAIL

District Sangria ($14): I'm not much of a cocktail drinker but ordered this from the "Specialty Cocktail" menu (bypassing others like the "Heated Debate" and "Monumental Mule") while waiting for our table. According to the cocktail menu, this includes brandy, red wine, apples, berries and some kind of fresh juice. It appeared in front of me near instantly after ordering and tasted mostly of the wine, brandy and citrus. Sweet and straightforward.

STARTERS

Tuna Tartare w/ Pineapple Granite ($18): We chose this from the Inauguration menu at the suggestion of the waiter. $2 more than the standard "Tuna Carpaccio" and served with cilantro and avocado in a fairly traditional preparation. As with most every dish, it was very good without any flaws if not so distinctive. Maybe unfair to compare it to similar dishes at the old Galileo or the Inn at Little Washington but, if one did, there'd be significant daylight between the versions not favoring this one.

Warm Duck Confit Salad w/ pickled cranberries, endive, citrus, honey thyme vinaigrette ($17): We both agreed this was a lovely, light and refreshing salad. The plentiful shards of duck would have benefited from a bit more seasoning to boost the flavor. Didn't perceive any pickled notes.

MAINS

Pan-Roasted Striped or Sea Bass w/ bouillabaisse, lobster, fennel ($32). We both ordered this and it is the best example of the overall theme. The fish, about 3" square and an inch thick (and thus perhaps a bit undersized though looks like Bart above did better on portion size than we did), was perfectly cooked with a light crust, tender throughout and very light seasoning. It was served in a wide shallow bowl with a carefully composed small stack of three thick matchstick toasts, a very small lobster claw, fennel and a bit of yellow aioli. The bouillabaisse was poured at the table and had been strained to yield a recognizable but not pronounced flavor. Given the price, this was a bit disappointing. We'd have appreciated a bit larger piece of fish with a more complex and layered broth.

In TS' 2.5 star review a couple of months ago, he wrote about the bass:

"Bozkaya’s busy shrimp and grits is no match for the classic served at Vidalia, but his pan-roasted striped bass boosted with braised fennel and a crab-sweetened “bouillabaisse” is destined to be duplicated."

Not having read the review prior, we wondered whether to get the shrimp and grits. After reading Tom's comments, we're a bit confused as it feels like the bass dish we did get is one that WEB has duplicated versus innovated. Guess that's why I'm not a food critic. I'd have thought the bass, while well executed, was no match for pan roasted fresh fish dishes coming out of many kitchens.

SIDE

Fried Brussel Sprouts and Warm Bacon Vinaigrette with Golden Raisins ($7). However silly, this was the most delightful dish ordered. Between the flash frying, bacon, raisins and some type of wispy cheese, this had great flavor and was a large portion. I'd go as far as to say this was the best rendition of brussel sprouts I've had in a year and I've had more than a few out and at home! If I went back to WEB, it'd probably be to try one of their burgers (beef or fish at $16) with these brussel sprouts or maybe some fries.

BOTTOM LINE

IMHO, Ris deserves to be above--and not below--WEB in that section of the DR Dining Guide. I wouldn't at all discourage a tired traveler staying at the Ritz from eating at WEB. I would, however, recommend a bunch of other higher-end places nearby (at minimum Ris, Marcels, Blue Duck, Obelisk, Nora, maybe Rasika West, *) over this if walking or cabbing for better value or more interesting food were priorities.

Maybe it didn't stand out more because Eric Ripert has severed whatever ties. Maybe they were just in lower common denominator mode tonight due to the inauguration crowd so lighter on seasonings and simpler on dish design. Maybe we just didn't get the best dishes, though the bass seems to be one dish on which we diverged from others who raved (like TS). Whatever it was, that's the view from here.

* Haven't yet been to Rasika West; basing the example on experience at Rasika.

I'm irritated with this restaurant right now, which is a shame, because I was really looking forward to trying it. My husband made reservations for us to go here last weekend for my birthday, but unfortunately I got really sick last week and we had to cancel. He called the restaurant several times to let them know and try to reschedule. Each time he was transferred to their voice mail, never to a maitre d', and he left apologetic messages and indicated our desire to reschedule, but they haven't contacted us. At this point, I'm very much looking forward to celebrating my birthday this coming weekend somewhere else.

I'm irritated with this restaurant right now, which is a shame, because I was really looking forward to trying it. My husband made reservations for us to go here last weekend for my birthday, but unfortunately I got really sick last week and we had to cancel. He called the restaurant several times to let them know and try to reschedule. Each time he was transferred to their voice mail, never to a maitre d', and he left apologetic messages and indicated our desire to reschedule, but they haven't contacted us. At this point, I'm very much looking forward to celebrating my birthday this coming weekend somewhere else.

Sounds kind of consistent with my bottom line from a couple of months ago (just above your post) though the in-restaurant service was very good for us. It shouldn't be tough for a restaurant to have the courtesy to return a call, especially since you left several messages. Most seem to use the phone very well to confirm reservations in advance. Agree internet can be great but we're in an era now where it has to be either/or at customer preference.

I was disappointed with West End's version when I had it some time ago: too soft and creamy, not enough acid, just not my style.

Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure I was remembering an outstanding salmon tartar I had at West End Bistro.

A recent late-night trip to Bistro Franí§ais left me appalled with their steak tartar, and not for the first time.